◆ SNAIL [GT1 Championship] Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gearbox is one of the tuning aspects that can make a big difference in the performance of your car. If anything, you want to keep the engine revolutions in that sweet range where high torque/high horsepower work together to push the car forward.

I have developed a simple model to show what happens on the road with the different gear ratios and final drive settings when you tweak your gearbox. This is not a step by step way to set your gearbox, it rather is a tool to tell you what is happening when you set it up like that.

You have to do one test though to determine the wheel diameter of the car. (From what I can see in GT6's tire model is that the wheel is growing slightly in diameter as you go faster, but for my model's purpose, the change is small enough to meet the objective)

Test: Go to Special Stage Route X and drive your car in top gear as fast as you can without hitting the rev limiter. Go to the spread sheet and fill in the speed and engine revolutions. Go to the transmission settings and fill in the top gear ratio and the final drive ratio. That calculates the tire diameter.

Now you look at the torque and horsepower curves and you fill in the minimum revs you want to see after a gear change (the lower part of torque/hp curve) and fill in the approx. torque and hp values

Then you look at where the you think the best shift point is and note those values on the spread sheet as the max revs you want to go to before you shift.

Then you look at where the red line is and fill in those numbers in the spread sheet. (The HP and T values are optional and are not used in the model)

Now you can play around with your transmission settings. If you want a "close ratio" gearbox with a narrow operating revs target, you move your final drive towards the right, top speed towards the left and your individual gear ratios towards the right and then you go back to final drive and move it towards the left to get your desired top speeds in each gear. If you have a flat torque curve and an early peak in hp you can stretch the gears by moving your final drive towards the left, top speed towards the right, individual gears towards the left and then again the final drive towards the right. Then you can ride that flat torque curve for a longer time.

After you played around there, now you can enter your gear ratios and final drive ratio in the model and you can see the calculated speeds in each gear, as well as the revs that gear will start off with after the shift. Go for a test drive and see if it is more or less correct.

Now you can play around with the final drive or even some of the individual gear ratios to refine the settings. Usually when you have the magic ratios for the individual gears, then do not touch them again - only use the final drive settings to adjust your gear speeds. (If anything, the sheet will be handy for this. You can see here what your final drive setting should be to get to your desired top speed for certain tracks.

There are two tabs in the sheet. One is for 99% of the world that drives in km/h and the other one is for the muricans.

Let me know if you find it useful..... and if you find any bugs.

I may change it over to Google sheets if it turns out to be a useful tool.

Attachments

• wheel diameter.xlsx
    298.3 KB · Views: 23
Just fractured my ankle doing willie on my mountain bike. Not very smart. Anyways going to have a lot of time to learn how to tune and practice 4wks recovery and I can't drive my prelude because it has a clutch

The gearbox is one of the tuning aspects that can make a big difference in the performance of your car. If anything, you want to keep the engine revolutions in that sweet range where high torque/high horsepower work together to push the car forward.

I have developed a simple model to show what happens on the road with the different gear ratios and final drive settings when you tweak your gearbox. This is not a step by step way to set your gearbox, it rather is a tool to tell you what is happening when you set it up like that.

You have to do one test though to determine the wheel diameter of the car. (From what I can see in GT6's tire model is that the wheel is growing slightly in diameter as you go faster, but for my model's purpose, the change is small enough to meet the objective)

Test: Go to Special Stage Route X and drive your car in top gear as fast as you can without hitting the rev limiter. Go to the spread sheet and fill in the speed and engine revolutions. Go to the transmission settings and fill in the top gear ratio and the final drive ratio. That calculates the tire diameter.

Now you look at the torque and horsepower curves and you fill in the minimum revs you want to see after a gear change (the lower part of torque/hp curve) and fill in the approx. torque and hp values

Then you look at where the you think the best shift point is and note those values on the spread sheet as the max revs you want to go to before you shift.

Then you look at where the red line is and fill in those numbers in the spread sheet. (The HP and T values are optional and are not used in the model)

Now you can play around with your transmission settings. If you want a "close ratio" gearbox with a narrow operating revs target, you move your final drive towards the right, top speed towards the left and your individual gear ratios towards the right and then you go back to final drive and move it towards the left to get your desired top speeds in each gear. If you have a flat torque curve and an early peak in hp you can stretch the gears by moving your final drive towards the left, top speed towards the right, individual gears towards the left and then again the final drive towards the right. Then you can ride that flat torque curve for a longer time.

After you played around there, now you can enter your gear ratios and final drive ratio in the model and you can see the calculated speeds in each gear, as well as the revs that gear will start off with after the shift. Go for a test drive and see if it is more or less correct.

Now you can play around with the final drive or even some of the individual gear ratios to refine the settings. Usually when you have the magic ratios for the individual gears, then do not touch them again - only use the final drive settings to adjust your gear speeds. (If anything, the sheet will be handy for this. You can see here what your final drive setting should be to get to your desired top speed for certain tracks.

There are two tabs in the sheet. One is for 99% of the world that drives in km/h and the other one is for the muricans.

Let me know if you find it useful..... and if you find any bugs.

I may change it over to Google sheets if it turns out to be a useful tool.
Wow red talk about diving into the deep end when it comes to tuning! I am very impressed with the amount of knowledge within the sheet.

Now if only you could do one to explain the proper way to set up a dif :)

Wow red talk about diving into the deep end when it comes to tuning! I am very impressed with the amount of knowledge within the sheet.

Now if only you could do one to explain the proper way to set up a dif :)

If you could explain a little more what you mean, we can all dive in and give advice.

Have we started work on bop for the v8 series next season? Should have some free time to play around with to help paring down a list and balancing.

Setting up the differential to optimize it. Explaining how it works isn't really my strong suit :)

Oh, you mean the initial torque, acceleration and braking settings?. Yea, that's tough.

You may want to read here for a simple explanation on the dif settings

or here for a complete tuning approach (this one takes you systematically through the process)

It's very quiet around here.

Anybody notice that Turtle Racing League is on Fridays and getting pretty full. I really liked seeing GT1 with a full room. Let's keep it that way. I just hope the race can start a bit closer to the scheduled start. Always get on track ASAP to check to see if the others can see you. Text the number of cars listed ON TRACK so we all see if there are issues. Clear cache and re-enter if need be.

Practice tonight!

It's very quiet around here.

Anybody notice that Turtle Racing League is on Fridays and getting pretty full. I really liked seeing GT1 with a full room. Let's keep it that way. I just hope the race can start a bit closer to the scheduled start. Always get on track ASAP to check to see if the others can see you. Text the number of cars listed ON TRACK so we all see if there are issues. Clear cache and re-enter if need be.

Practice tonight!

Turtle league is filling up a lot of promise there. GT1 is great also hope they both keep growing and establishing themselves as the new norm for the place to be to race.

I raced week 1 with turtle and it was great! GT1 is an entirely different animal still with the different cars and tuning and remains my favorite league. I'll be running just these 2 leagues going forward. Hope they both thrive with full rooms and respectful, intelligent driving.

Hey everyone, you wook marvelous tonight darlings, at practice. just one thing, please have the correct number plate per the group you are in. see the first posts for details.

Good racing and happy trails!
In that regard, remember to Update the Car's Image in the Car List. I've seen many with an Empty Number Plate, or no number at all. Nice looking car, but we're Race Cars, not driving in a Beauty Pageant.

Spectators buy the Race Programs, and we get a share of the Receipts as part of the purse. No, not the Paper Receipts!!!
And the Fans need to see our Car Numbers and Number Plates to know Who and What Class we are in.

See Y'all at the track tonight.

Sorry i couldnt make practice, wasnt feeling well. The nismo team is struggling to find the speed to compete but will be there tonight to have another crack at it. With some luck we may have an outside chance at a top 5 which i think is as good as we can hope for this season. Good luck to all.

The autumn ring race will be re run February 25th.

It was put up to a vote and decided that it was an unfair race.
May I ask why? Sorry got DC'd and missed the after party.

Also sorry about that incident Birdy car ran wide, tried keeping it off you but I couldn't do anything about it.

May I ask why? Sorry got DC'd and missed the after party.

Also sorry about that incident Birdy car ran wide, tried keeping it off you but I couldn't do anything about it.
It started to rain and got above 50% if it had of stayed below 25% it wouldn't have effected the race

It was a bit of a surprise and I was on Med's during the last stint and was able to keep my Nissan on track!
the 4WD have an advantage in the rain I lost 30 seconds to the leader in the final lap alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back