◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,803 comments
I think it's like this. You have to think of the prize winners as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The 1st prize winner gets prize A. The 2nd prize winner gets his choice of prize B or he can "steal" prize C. The 3rd prize winner gets whatever is left. Whatever happens between the 2nd and 3rd prize winners, prize C has to be used before prize B can be used.

None of the below is to be considered official in any way.

For this week, Xrad is the 1st prize winner and has prize A. Fizzer is the 2nd prize winner but is not eligible to win prize B so his options are to "steal" prize C and freeze one part of the combo or keep prize B which would open it up to suggestions from those who drove in D1 and fizzer would have to make a choice from those suggestions. Rockhound is the 3rd prize winner and needs to wait for fizzer to make his choice between prize B and C now that fizzer knows what both options really entail. Whoever ends up with prize C will need to freeze one half of the combo.

When @Handlebar gets to this, hopefully we will have a resolution quickly and picks can be made.
Just out of curiosity why not let prize a winner choose to steal b or c prize if he chooses another the prizes swap then b gets to choose from what's left and c gets what's left it could potentionaly give prize c winner the new combo prize if say prize a winner likes either the car or track that got second most votes so he could freeze that then b May like what was frozen and wants his car or track added to that combo so then prize c winner gets to choose the new combo
EDIT: to insure proper protocol you could have someone watch the thread like coach did the other day until prize winners make their selections of what prizes they are getting then it's business as usual from there

Prize B, by making a pick to change one part of the combo, effectively freezes the other part and "steals" the freeze away from Prize C. Prize B can elect to wait for the Prize C to "freeze" one part of the combo and once Prize C has done so, can change the unfrozen part of the combo.

Clear as mud now @Wolfsatz ?

👍:P

Just out of curiosity why not let prize a winner choose to steal b or c prize if he chooses another the prizes swap then b gets to choose from what's left and c gets what's left it could potentionaly give prize c winner the new combo prize if say prize a winner likes either the car or track that got second most votes so he could freeze that then b May like what was frozen and wants his car or track added to that combo so then prize c winner gets to choose the new combo
EDIT: to insure proper protocol you could have someone watch the thread like coach did the other day until prize winners make their selections of what prizes they are getting then it's business as usual from there

bill12.gif

Guys i really want to get behind a wheel instead of this ds3, but all together stand and wheel the cost is too much to throw down upfront any suggestions?
(besides get a new job :lol: i just took over a business so income is almost strictly for that as it comes in till i have a safety cushion)

Guys i really want to get behind a wheel instead of this ds3, but all together stand and wheel the cost is too much to throw down upfront any suggestions?
(besides get a new job :lol: i just took over a business so income is almost strictly for that as it comes in till i have a safety cushion)

Start with a Driving Force Pro and a Wal-Mart TV tray. Many before you have started there and it's about as cheap as it gets unless you have something laying around that could take the place of the TV tray.

you can setup a wheel on a table, or build a rig yourself.

... also, you can still find the old wireless logitech which does not need a clamp(my 1st wheel and still have it, that is what my son uses when he wants to drive) at some retailers, which is very comfy and allows you get the feel of wheel, it just does not have the motor for strong feedback but still had a lot of fun with it.

Ebay -50 Bucks! Logitech Driving Force Wireless

Last edited:
Well, I think the best low budget wheel is the DFGT. Get one of these for $99 and attach it to a small table, pull up a chair and you're cooking with gas.

I have had mine for almost two years with zero problems and attach it to my wooden TV tray dealio. Throw the pedals down on the tile floor, pull up a kitchen chair and away I go.

I was lookin at that wheel I just saw that a lot of people were using the g27 so i figured there were issues with it and didnt wanna get something id want to replace a month later. I will look into these thanks guys. This is such a great group. such fast responses and so helpful all the time. Thanks again :cheers:

I was lookin at that wheel I just saw that a lot of people were using the g27 so i figured there were issues with it and didnt wanna get something id want to replace a month later. I will look into these thanks guys. This is such a great group. such fast responses and so helpful all the time. Thanks again :cheers:
A lot of people have more money than the rest and so they recommend things us mere mortals cannot afford, or choose not to spend on a video game ;)

The DFGT is a great wheel for your hundred bucks.

I've made my way up to D2 using a DFGT mounted to a wheel stand pro. I use the bungie cord mod. Someday I'll upgrade to a wheel/pedal set that doesn't require modifications but my DFGT has served me well since the introduction of GT5.

I have a Driving Force GT (cost me $130 but I needed it quickly for the GT Academy competition [or so I thought - little did I know how long it would take to transfer from the DS3] and I didn't shop around). I got an old car seat from my brother, who is a part-time mechanic, and I built my own stand out of plywood and 2x4's. It works great. I've still got duct tape on the seat and I never sanded or painted the thing, but I can tell you that you don't give a damn about those things as long as your wheel is on a sturdy mount and your pedals don't slide around. My current setup is just sat in front of a TV that we otherwise use for movies and such, so the TV is a bit high, but since my seat can recline and slide it's just fine.

I originally had my wheel mounted to the dining room table with the tv on the table. Although it the screen was closer to me, I can't recommend it because every time I would fight the wheel, the table would shake, and in turn would shake the TV. An ironing board works reasonably well and is height adjustable, but it has the same issues with being unstable, albeit without affecting the TV.

Most people neglect the cost of the seat- I got lucky and got mine free - maybe you can do the same. There are plenty of busted up car seats in junkyards for $30-$50. Or find a buddy who works on cars and doesn't want one.
20131011_001022_LLS (2).jpg

A lot of people have more money than the rest and so they recommend things us mere mortals cannot afford, or choose not to spend on a video game ;)

The DFGT is a great wheel for your hundred bucks.
I agree. You can also look for the DFGT/DFP used and save the money for a G27 later. The G27 is worth the additional cost but if you can not afford it get the DFGT/DFP as it is so much better than using a controller.

I'd be sad to see Ascari go. It's a really great track to race on once you learn it. Learning a track is always the challenge and not having enough laps under your belt on any track will make it seem terrible (other than route X maybe ;))

I voted for the RBjunior/Autumn ring combo simply because the RBjunior is a car that doesn't seem to like multiple lines, making passes a real challenge, and the skills gap in driving it is massive. Braking a little earlier than the car behind is almost like a brake check for the driver following. The tighter the track, the more exaggerated those traits become.

RB Juniors at Le Sarthe though....hmmmmm

I'd be sad to see Ascari go. It's a really great track to race on once you learn it. Learning a track is always the challenge and not having enough laps under your belt on any track will make it seem terrible (other than route X maybe ;))

I voted for the RBjunior/Autumn ring combo simply because the RBjunior is a car that doesn't seem to like multiple lines, making passes a real challenge, and the skills gap in driving it is massive. Braking a little earlier than the car behind is almost like a brake check for the driver following. The tighter the track, the more exaggerated those traits become.

RB Juniors at Le Sarthe though....hmmmmm
Gearing isn't tall enough, IIRC

@ATLskydiver is absolutely right about stability. Since I use an area in my house that is used regularly, I cannot build a permanent structure.

But during races where you may need to turn the wheel back and forth quickly, the TV tray sometimes starts moving across the floor which can lead to spilled beer in some cases. Also, since my pedals are layed down on the tile floor, they sometimes slide out from under my feet. Since I drive barefoot, I can often wrap my toes around the top of the pedals and pull them back in place but this can lead to much lost time in a race ;)

I have crashed a few times or made a few fatal mistakes due to these issues. But if you have the space to build a cheap rig out of spare stuff then it will help drastically.

No way my wife will let me have a friggen driving chair and rig set up in the dining room/kitchen area.

Why is it the same old story every week when its combo picking time? Your not going to like every combo that is picked. I myself personally hated ascari and have been avoiding that track since gt6 came out. I think I even referred to it on here as the "spawn of satan"and after running multiple hot laps by myself my opininion didnt change much. But, after getting in a room with othere drivers and watching other lines that they were using. I actually grew to like it and have become pretty fast on it. In fact its now on the list as one of my favorite tracks. And as far as it not being a good pick for close racing or not having room to pass, I disagree. You just have to choose your passes wisely. I know for me I went from all the way in the back after a mistake on my part all the way back to the front. And in d5 we had close racing all over the track. I guess my point is your not going to make everyone happy so pick the combo you want and let everyone else figure out how to drive it. After all, you won the prize not them. And if its not liked we will vote it off. Sometimes with the way people complain about the combos we would be better off just racing at Daytona international speedway with any car, that way we could just draft each othere around the whole track and it would be won on the last corner. Hey, it would be close racing and everybody would be able to drive it. But then again somebody would probably still not be happy. Ok im done. :cheers:

@ATLskydiver is absolutely right about stability. Since I use an area in my house that is used regularly, I cannot build a permanent structure.

But during races where you may need to turn the wheel back and forth quickly, the TV tray sometimes starts moving across the floor which can lead to spilled beer in some cases. Also, since my pedals are layed down on the tile floor, they sometimes slide out from under my feet. Since I drive barefoot, I can often wrap my toes around the top of the pedals and pull them back in place but this can lead to much lost time in a race ;)

I have crashed a few times or made a few fatal mistakes due to these issues. But if you have the space to build a cheap rig out of spare stuff then it will help drastically.

No way my wife will let me have a friggen driving chair and rig set up in the dining room/kitchen area.

LOL. That is the same issue I have, but the Wheel Stand Pro works like a charm as it is easily removed from the living quarters. My set up is a G27 mounted on a Wheel Stand Pro and very comfy office chair that rocks back and forward (which I use to simulate the Gs, :dopey: JK) Works well for non permanent grip and I do not have any of the wheel / pedal slips.

To me the track. The car. It all does not matter. What matters is can I find the flow that the combo of the track and car bring. UNderstand the lines then find find lines that compete with that line. Evolve past just getting a fast lap. Find multiple lines that all result in a similar time then use those new discovered lines to attack your opponent. It is not a matter of the combo or car but more the ability to adapt to the characteristics of both and understand the flow that allows for you to get comfortable under those conditions. A faster driver is not the best I know this now. So my understanding has changed. I level up my speed as god allows me to and I understand the car first before anything. A good racer should not complain about the car or the track. A truly good racer understands that he should start with the basic understanding of the car first then adapt to its changes and find its flow. Dnt try to discover speed. instead let speed discover you. Atleast that is how it works for me but im still learning. So long as your a racer you can never stop learning

Heres what I started with as far as a stand goes. About 2 bucks in 2x4 and 2 bucks in screws, and if you need to be able to fold it up and out of the way, that is fairly easy to do usings bolts and wing nuts and some creativity.
2012-05-08163137.jpg

The cool thing about wood, is that as you upgrade your equipment or space or wallet, you can upgrade your stand. Such as like this.
Same wheel stand, just added a car seat to the mix.
2013-09-22203741.jpg

which in the end morphed into this.
IMG_20140316_131916598.jpg

BTW, for that whole rig, outside of the electronics (wheel, screens comp) I paid probably a total of $10. 3 12' 2x4 are about 3 bucks a piece. and I used some stuff laying around. Once the counter top is installed, I will have invested about $50. add another $50 or less for a junk yard seat, and you have one hell of a rig that you can customize to fit whatever your needs/wants are.

Last edited:
Damn. I knew I shouldn't have stopped reading this thread fourteen hundred pages in to go practice my butt off in hopes of being able to pick an awesome combo!
Fwiw (0) I wanted to see the AC Cars 427 S/C '66 on Apricot hill reverse. Would have been the Shelby cobra but it's too much $$$.

Last edited:
I just want to race wheel to wheel, bumper to bumper. I want to race other drivers, not my own limits of skill. That just doesn't happen with something like the Redbull. I'm glad its gone and I really hope that is the worst of the combos we will get in coming months. I have no complaints about anything else picked. They've all been fun and challenging and made for interesting racing. Ascari isn't the best track, but I've never driven it and I had fun learning the track.

I always thought that the race at Ascari would (if anything) teach me how to race smartly, due to the variety of corners, and the addition of the Clio V6 just adds to that.

I voted for the Junior because I didn't really like driving it at that track, it (the track) is best suited for smaller, less powerful cars (like hot hatches for instance).

I just want to race wheel to wheel, bumper to bumper. I want to race other drivers, not my own limits of skill. That just doesn't happen with something like the Redbull. I'm glad its gone and I really hope that is the worst of the combos we will get in coming months. I have no complaints about anything else picked. They've all been fun and challenging and made for interesting racing. Ascari isn't the best track, but I've never driven it and I had fun learning the track.
Don't take my wish for the track to be gone or my complaining to mean I do not enjoy every combo because I do enjoy them all. But I love the combos that allow close clean racing. Ascari did not provide that for me nor did the redbull combo.

Please just take some time choosing the combos and make sure they provide good racing not good driving. This is the Real Racing Simulator after all...

Oh wait... scratch that.

Do what you want I am just along for the ride

@jobyone What is your idea of a good combo?

Personally, I think the car should have enough grip to handle the power (SH tires on a C7 Corvette for instance) and the track to have a variety of corners that provide opportunity for drivers to go for an overtake.

I think it's more up to us as drivers to provide the racing, the cars are our weapons and the track is our battlefield.

Back