◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,812 comments
I am going to open a room in the snail spec series club room at 7pm central tonight to test out the Honda S2000 '99. Dealership specs is 428PP/246HP. After oil change, it goes too 435PP/255HP. Tires for the car will be SH tires according to dealership PP. It will be tested out at Trial Mountain Reverse.

The next choice would be the High End Performance G37. Dealership specs 531PP/480 HP. After oil change it goes too 565PP/571HP, tires to be SS according to dealership PP. Track will be Tokyo R246 Reverse.

The Honda S2000 '99 costs 33,800 credits.
The High End Performance G37 costs 200,000 credits.

I have the G37 going to 539PP/503HP

Do you guys typically use the edges of your foot or literally heel & toe? Just curious because I've seen video of pros using the edges if their feet, but that's now how I taught myself. Maybe I taught myself wrong?
I use the edge. My s14 was easier to actually heel toe

The edge approves of his usage.
r-U2-THE-EDGE-large570.jpg

Do you guys typically use the edges of your foot or literally heel & toe? Just curious because I've seen video of pros using the edges if their feet, but that's now how I taught myself. Maybe I taught myself wrong?

I use my actual heel. I don't pivot on the ball of my foot though. I pivot a bit further to the right, just behind my two smallest toes.

If it works for you it's not wrong. The technique you use will mainly depend on the relative positioning of the brake and the gas pedals. So for me I use the edge of my foot when driving the Clio as the pedals are quite close to each other but with my Citroen C-Crosser the pedals are further apart so I have to do a more literal heel and toe.

First loser...

So I ended up P2 at the local kart track for August as far as fastest lap goes. I got beat by .001 sec. Awesome...:banghead:

No way I'd be that competitive without my time here in SNAIL. Considering the majority of my racing "experience" is with my thumbs, I can't complain. I'm going again with a buddy next Tues. after work. There's a track record that needs to be reset. :D

Tried both - and (from the other side) I liked the HP G27 better. Just my opinion on the subject.
Understandable...the G37's a fun car. Fortunately for us, the s2k still has it's loose feel despite being on SH tires.

Comfort softs would be ideal, though. :lol:

Just to make a correction, The G37 has 539PP/503HP, i did end up having tunes on the car but i corrected it. Still opening the room at 7pm central in the Snail Spec room. Will test the Honda S2000 '99 at Trial Mountain Reverse first. The G37 at Tokyo Reverse 2ND and the Honda S2000' 06 at Red Bull Ring short track 3rd.

I am. It's called having an open discussion. I can't race anyway since I'm on suspension. The S2000 is a great car, I was just curious why, when there is a premium version and so many clones, someone would choose a standard version. But that's just how I would think. Everyone is different. I like knowing the how behind the why. Sorry if that makes me wrong or bad. If you don't want to discuss the cars that will be tested then move along and have a nice day. I will too.

:cheers: :gtpflag:

I appreciate all of the feedback which car to pick for when we race September 13th. Will make my decision which car/track combo to go with after tonight's testing.

If it works for you it's not wrong. The technique you use will mainly depend on the relative positioning of the brake and the gas pedals. So for me I use the edge of my foot when driving the Clio as the pedals are quite close to each other but with my Citroen C-Crosser the pedals are further apart so I have to do a more literal heel and toe.

I was told I needed to learn heel and toe, but when the instructor who laughed at my comment that my pedals 'didn't allow me to do that' put his behind in my driver's seat, smiled widely.... and then played the fool when he couldn't even come close do doing it... that was memorable.

"Your pedals are different..."

So - do what works for you in the car that you're driving. In the end, I put a wedge shaped shim in my throttle area (hinged to floor, wide at bottom, narrower at top) and attached the pedal over that.

NOW - it is easy.

I am going to open a room in the snail spec series club room at 7pm central tonight to test out the Honda S2000 '99. Dealership specs is 428PP/246HP. After oil change, it goes too 435PP/255HP. Tires for the car will be SH tires according to dealership PP. It will be tested out at Trial Mountain Reverse.

The next choice would be the High End Performance G37. Dealership specs 531PP/480 HP. After oil change it goes too 565PP/571HP, tires to be SS according to dealership PP. Track will be Tokyo R246 Reverse.

The Honda S2000 '99 costs 33,800 credits. The High End Performance G37 costs 200,000 credits.

I am glad you're testing them - I seem to like most tracks in "Reverse" configuration. Trial Mountain is MUCH better in reverse, imho - especially with lower PP cars. Heck - both look good. I like one more than the other by a smidge, but I'm sure it will all be good.

Last edited:
One of the first cars I raced in SNAIL was the HP Nissan. Way back when there were only 2 divisions. It stuck around for about two months if I remember correctly.

Practice room is open in the snail spec racing room.

Should i make it a public lobby or leave it as club only?

Last edited:
S2000 Type V is by far the best of the S2000 cars. I forget the years but use the newest one. Try it against the premium...you will be amazed how much better the Type V is.

This is very true.

For those trying to adopt or perfect your heel/toe downshifts, much of what technique you will develop will be dependent upon what the vehicle necessitates and your personal preference. For example, a car with a floor mounted throttle like a Porsche or older GM is going to require a bit of a different maneuver than a car with a firewall mounted throttle. This is why posing the generic question of 'how do you do it' may or may not provide any valuable feedback for you(royal) to apply it to your own driving. I do recommend practicing yourself until it's fluid, while I do not recommend simply imitating what works for another driver, regardless of how well it may work for them.

In the video I posted a several pages back you can see that I exclusively heel/toe in the two braking zones that require a downshift. The lighting isn't ideal for viewing the pedalwork, but particularly entering Big Bend where everything happens a bit slower; you can see how I Right Foot brake and then my right leg moves sharply as I flash the throttle at the moment of the downshift, and both feet return to normal position immediately after. It all happens that quickly, and that is in a very slow car. My technique is very traditional, and comes from older cars and works well with both floor and firewall mounted pedals. I begin braking with the ball of my right foot, and right as I approach my downshift point as the car decelerates into the range of the lower gear I move the entire heel and lower part of my foot nearly 90 degrees leaving the ball of my foot applying the brakes, and flash the throttle by extending my leg/ankle as I clutch in and shift down. I also brake primarily with my left foot when gear changes aren't required, which complicates matters and requires my feet move from pedal to pedal in certain circumstances. Both of these habits are ingrained after years in various cars, and while it works best for me that may not be the best for you. Next time I have the gopro out I'll try and find a way to mount where you can see the pedal inputs better.

My point is that when employed on track, you want it to be so fluid as to not upset the car and the above described is how fast it needs to happen. You can see in the video that the entry to Big Bend is not affected by excess engine braking or chassis upset, and that the car literally rolls into the grip as the turn progresses. That is the result you are looking for, and the intent of the heel/toe downshift. The entire purpose of the technique is to smooth out the inputs to the chassis so you don't shock the suspension and contact patch(as opposed to braking, then the nose comes up after you release, then back down when you release the clutch), lessening the wear and tear on the drivetrain, controlling engine braking, and of course condensing the braking and downshifting allowing you to compress the deceleration zone. If you are jerky, inconsistent, or inefficient with your inputs then all of the benefits go out the window. This is why I highly encourage all to practice extensively as it is the only way. I heel/toe on the street and don't even notice it, for example. That is how you want it to be. Like anything, it just takes some seat time and practice. You can even have fun with it practicing on GT6. There were in the past an occasional SNAIL h-pattern shifter race, which were a lot of a fun and an entertaining way to practice.

Lastly, many modern cars have cumbersome pedal placements which can complicate matters, and some cars will have computers that will react poorly to seeing the throttle spike while there is braking input. These types of factors will also affect how you produce a heel/toe downshift.

Video referred to above from this post is in the spoiler;

Last edited:
Thanks @racingchamp30 for letting me come in tonight and doing some combo testing with all the other snails! Was a blast! Had to head out though. Was a blast racing against everyone especially @gtr3123 Had a great battle at Tokyo! The trial mountain reverse 2k combo was challenging but very fun as well! All the combos are fun and looking forward to it in 2 weeks! 👍

Thank you to @Ph1sher @TEX36 @RobbiefromBC @gtr3123 @WIDEeyedDRIVR @TRL_Importlife @pubason
@dgaf95integra @Adramike @kickenit4evr @JamCar0ne @TomMang_68 for all coming out to test out the 3 car/track combinations tonight.

Thank you too @JoeW for your suggestion to use the Honda S2000 Type V. After testing out the 3 car/track combinations my pick will be the Honda S2000 '99, 435PP/255HP.

Edit: The track i am picking is Trial Mountain Circuit Reverse.

Thank you as well to @MarkR420 for coming out as well.

Last edited:
Thank you to @Ph1sher @TEX36 @RobbiefromBC @gtr3123 @WIDEeyedDRIVR @TRL_Importlife @pubason
@dgaf95integra @Adramike @kickenit4evr @JamCar0ne @TomMang_68 for all coming out to test out the 3 car/track combinations tonight.

Thank you too @JoeW for your suggestion to use the Honda S2000 Type V. After testing out the 3 car/track combinations my pick will be the Honda S2000 '99, 435PP/255HP.

Edit: The track i am picking is Trial Mountain Circuit Reverse.

Thank you as well to @MarkR420 for coming out as well.
Three combos? I remember you saying two on the thread. What was the third?

The cool thing about having other combos that you didn't choose is you have them in reserve for next time you get a prize. This makes people happy :)

So I guess I'll be "that guy" and ask.

The Honda S2000 '99 has three versions. The undesignated version, the (US) version, and the (EU) version. Are all of these the same, and therefore acceptable for Sunday night racing? I don't know if they are the same suspension settings, but perhaps somebody had already gone down this rabbit hole to see.

I'm going to investigate a little myself as well, but maybe someone can save me the trouble by giving me a quick yes or no answer.

So I guess I'll be "that guy" and ask.

The Honda S2000 '99 has three versions. The undesignated version, the (US) version, and the (EU) version. Are all of these the same, and therefore acceptable for Sunday night racing? I don't know if they are the same suspension settings, but perhaps somebody had already gone down this rabbit hole to see.

I'm going to investigate a little myself as well, but maybe someone can save me the trouble by giving me a quick yes or no answer.

I will get you an answer sometime on Wednesday. I'll need to check all of the car's specs.

S2000 Type V is by far the best of the S2000 cars. I forget the years but use the newest one. Try it against the premium...you will be amazed how much better the Type V is.
I was looking at the car info for the S2000s and the Type V '03 is the best. It has the VGS steering and the better suspension, but it's also a bit stiffer. Better for a racetrack.

Back