◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,812 comments
If we were to go with a totally random draw for prize winners, as some have suggested, there wouldn't be much of a reward for winning your division on a given night. Now, I understand we all do this for fun, not for the prizes, but I like having the extra incentive of a prize for winning. Now, perhaps the practice of awarding the best prize to the driver who scores the most points (out of all the division winners) isn't the best idea, since it rewards drivers who race in unballanced divisions and penalizes those in evenly matched ones, but I don't think total randomization is the way to go.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone was suggesting a random pool of everyone. I was thinking more along the lines of a pool of division winners.

To the victor goes the spoils?

I am not so worried about what division gets to choose the most prizes but I do feel that it will take a way a bit of the fun for us in lower divisions if we never get to choose prizes. Might I suggest that the only limit has to do with racers not divisions?

Vol
As to his policy, I don't think it should be weighted toward D1 at all. Just because they are better drivers, doesn't mean we should let them dictate all of the car/track combos. Mix it up a little.

Either I wasn't clear or people read my idea wrong. D1 has more chances at prizes. They still have to win the P100 points for the week. If they don't, they won't get it. A whole month could go without a D1 racer getting Prize A.

I have absolutely no problem with giving higher divisions more chances at Prize A. I'm a low D3 racer right now and have never seen/may never see a podium finish for a week, so I'm not exactly biased.

All of that said, I don't see a major problem with restricting how many prizes an individual could get in an amount of time, but I don't necessarily like it.

I really don't like any randomization of prizes. That sounds too much like the modern self-esteem pumping crap that they used to push when I was in school. You need to earn a prize, and we've got this P100 system which is perfect at showing how well someone has played against their competition compared to someone else in any other division.

As to D5 being "introductory": I just meant that they are the racers with the slowest times in S.N.A.I.L. That is also the only division where TCS and Driving Line are allowed. Their place on an uneven playing field is why my draft gave them no prizes; though I did say I'm open to allowing it.

Last edited:
If we were to go with a totally random draw for prize winners, as some have suggested, there wouldn't be much of a reward for winning your division on a given night. Now, I understand we all do this for fun, not for the prizes, but I like having the extra incentive of a prize for winning. Now, perhaps the practice of awarding the best prize to the driver who scores the most points (out of all the division winners) isn't the best idea, since it rewards drivers who race in unballanced divisions and penalizes those in evenly matched ones, but I don't think total randomization is the way to go.

Here is a random thought to throw into the mosh pit of ideas...

What if you rewarded those who had to really fight for their victory? This could be done if you take the difference from 1st to 2nd in each division and reward the low score.

For quick example:

Div 1
1st - 90 points (25 point gap) Prize C
2nd - 65 points

Div 2
1st - 76 points (2 point gap) Prize A
2nd - 74 points

Div 3
1st - 83 points (8 point gap) Prize B
2nd - 75 points

Not to say the Div 1 driver didn't earn top spot but if we are promoting close racing then this is also rewarding it. If you reward the closer fought battles you are much less likely to have to worry about a single driver winning prize A multiple times. I know it has its flaws, but thought I would suggest something different that might get some more creative thought flowing. :dopey:

Good to see that round 1 is going away. Hoping we keep the M5 for the car and change up the track for round 3. I feel like the M5 is a good drivers car and forces you to be smooth in order to be fast.

Why am I so slow? Facepalm Wrong tires!

Don't let this happen to you. I propose, and volunteer to do a pre-race inspection after qualifying to ensure tires are the correct spec. In addition, Division 5 allows aids for controller users, so that will noted as well.

Are you making fun of me? XDD

Yea that was really good. I was scared you were mad at me for holding you up when I heard that horn going off;) but yea lots of clean close stuff and we each took advantage of the other's mistakes. Thats what makes racing great.

When did you hold me up? XD i used the horn because .. well i really dont know haha ;)

Hello,

I got a mail to try out SNAIL Spec Racing group for GT5. So I want to try it out. Is this where I post the request?

Hey astrias,

Thanks for your interest, glad to have you :)

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

Follow These Steps:
1. I add you to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L.
2. You run the Time Trial.
3. You Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time from the time trial (no Sunday racing until this is completed).
4. I assign you to the appropriate Division, to give you the best racing possible.
5. A PSN friend request will be sent from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :)

The original post has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

The second post has the current race lineup and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread. To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

{Incoming D2 Photo Dump}

Laguna
o2JjRh.jpg

q2WWdh.jpg

SGE0Kh.jpg

BrhOyh.jpg

CHrsvh.jpg

ym0fuh.jpg

mCeqOh.jpg

JrVMUh.jpg

Motegi
UxLIPh.jpg

fyPaWh.jpg

LNdV2h.jpg

wfdJNh.jpg

7VWKeh.jpg

Rome
jiyu8h.jpg

u6e35h.jpg

9nKZFh.jpg

FVAcYh.jpg

83PwVh.jpg

YmzHqh.jpg

N9Gsqh.jpg

Good evening Ladies and Gentlesnails. It's time for your penalty update for the week. Let's get these scores finalized so that we can find out the new combos.

Division 4:

ANFD
  • Level 2 - 4 points (halved from 8 for on-track concession)
  • Level 5 - Race DQ (8 points)
  • Total - 16 points and six week probation

Am I missing something or does 8 + 4 = 16 now :)

When did you hold me up? XD i used the horn because .. well i really dont know haha ;)
You were all over me that one race. I was just thinking you were getting frustrated and were honking to get me out of the way;) Also I seem to remember you thought it was raining or you just really like having your wipers on;)

I need to watch that replay:)

i have a question.. do you guys race in other days or just sundays? because i have nothing to do on gt5 the rest of the week.. :(
Some form of racing/practice happens most nights at the same time 10-12 EST. Usually in D1 but people will post open lobby rooms in here. The first post of this thread has a link to the schedule in the last paragraph.

Any time you want to practice just check out the lounge in d1 or post a open lobby number and people will join if they are around.

I tend to practice quite late being on the west coast and all.

Some form of racing/practice happens most nights at the same time 10-12 EST. Usually in D1 but people will post open lobby rooms in here. The first post of this thread has a link to the schedule in the last paragraph.

Any time you want to practice just check out the lounge in d1 or post a open lobby number and people will join if they are around.

I tend to practice quite late being on the west coast and all.

Could you send me a PM when you practice? :D

How about this for the prize system.

The top three at the end of the night in each division are written down along with their points total. Then two names will be randomly drawn and whoever has more points gets the first prize pick, do it again for second but without the last two drivers for second prize and then again for the third pick. Tiebreaker if the points are the same is number of wins that night and the next tiebreaker is Division.

For prize distribution I would suggest an ongoing rotation. Step one would be to rank the five division winners 1-5. Step two would be to use a rotaion for prize distribution. Example: week 1 - 1,2,3 would get prizes
week 2 - 4,5,1 would get prizes
week 3 - 2,3,4
week 4 - 5,1,2
week 5 - 3,4,5

You would keep this going week after week. The end of a month would not reset the rotation so we would never need to worry about it balancing out. This would also add some randomness among the division winners as to who gets what prize and it would take anyone keeping track of who had won what previously in the month. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to clarify.

random question, does anyone have the GTA cars they could share? I wanna give those seasonals a try. I will be racing later on, practicing for stats

Could you send me a PM when you practice? :D
Sure. I will probably not be doing much practicing this week but I will send you a PM if I am. Feel free to send me a FR and keep an eye out on this forum for open rooms. It can be a lot of "fun" racing the faster guys. Just make sure to stick to the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and you should have a good time.

p.s. By fun I mean humbling;)

Just want a confirmation, I need to run 10 to 15 laps with tire wear?

S.N.A.I.L. Division Placement Time Trial

• Track : Mazda Laguna Seca
  • Car : Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) ’02 - from the recommended list, not your own broken in car!
  • Tires : Sport Soft
  • Grip : Real
  • Driving Aids : Only ABS allowed

How to run a GT5 Time Trial
  1. Select 'Arcade Mode' from the GT5 main menu
  2. Select 'Time Trial'
  3. Click on the 'World Circuits' tab
  4. Select 'Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca'
  5. Select 'RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02 (it's the 33rd car from the left)
  6. Choose any color
  7. Choose your transmission preference (Automatic of Manual)
  8. Change the front and rear tires to Sports Soft
  9. Turn the Driving Line Off
  10. Set the Traction Control to Off
  11. Turn Skid Recovery Force to Off
  12. Change the Grip Reduction to Real
  13. Click 'OK'
  14. Click 'Start' and run about 10-15 laps
  15. Private Message (PM) kcheeb with your best lap time

random question, does anyone have the GTA cars they could share? I wanna give those seasonals a try. I will be racing later on, practicing for stats

I don't think you can share those.

Just want a confirmation, I need to run 10 to 15 laps with tire wear?

Run as many laps as you like, the 10-15 number is just a suggestion. Really though, don't spend that much time on it. 10-15 laps should be a good number for you to get a good time.

A friend on my list has them shared, but not the gt-r currently being used, and I borrowed it and it worked fine but it isn't the one i need :ill:

You can share them(i also think there was a way to dupe cars from a friends shared cars), but you cannot trade them.

EDIT: I actually never verified that it worked(duping shared cars, a friend told me about it), this was before i joined GTP. I'll check to see if i can find anything.

Back