◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,880 comments
I do love the immersion of the VR. The first time I took off, like everyone, from my local airport; I could feel the floor of the plane rise up underneath my feet. It was really amazing. Looking down out the side windows, and turning around; it was all fascinating. After three or four minutes of level flight after climbing and finding I wasn't suffering from disorientation, I pushed it a little bit and never really got uncomfortable. I flew for I think close to two hours and never felt fatigued. And then I took the headset off. I wouldn't say I felt ill, but I would say the VR takes something out of you the monitor doesn't. After a bunch more time flying with VR the floor no longer rose when I would rotate the aircraft, and I could do dumb stuff like loops and not get the least bit unsettled, so you do get very used to it with time. Still, a 90 minute race is going to tax you in a way the monitor does not, but you may not notice it until you take the headset off.

Due to a combination of ventilation and clearance. I chose to ditch my glasses when in VR. I found that I could see more clearly with the VR as close to my eyes as I could get, which the glasses inhibited. The resolution drop, combined with less necessity for long focal distances for my playing style made the glasses have less effect on the clarity in VR. At least that's my theory. :lol:

Racing was the same. 45 minutes for my first stint. Which is about 8-10 times longer than I usually drive in a stint on the sim these days haha. By which time it had already lost some of its novelty. I only ran a couple races with it, though in all fairness I didn't run many races on iracing overall. I mostly used it for lapping/track reconnaissance. After doing a bit of testing and finding that I wasn't any faster with either the monitor or VR, for simple convenience I mostly used the VR for flight sim from then on. It lends itself better for flight, as playing sessions are much longer than racing and the immersion is even more spectacular. Plus, much of my flying is night and/or instrument flying for learning and practice rather than fly around in crazy airplanes doing silly stuff so being isolated in the cockpit is great. I have my VR setup where there is no boundary, so I can actually get up and walk around the plane. As far as the cord allows haha. It's pretty weird to be flying along and then get up from my rig and step outside the plane.

Great Racing Everyone, Great Fun Last Night! Does anyone upload replays for the Sunday Night Races to YouTube or something?
Do you ever run the car at Waterford or Gingerman?

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2065.jpeg
    IMG_2065.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Still, a 90 minute race is going to tax you in a way the monitor does not, but you may not notice it until you take the headset off.
You were not exaggerating one bit on this subject. If anything, you understated the weariness the VR can produce. I worked through licenses IB & IA last night and went to bed at 11p. On a Friday night. I was whupped. Working on S this evening. Got 2 more to do and see where I stand against my main in the license tests. Will post the times up when I get done with S10. If current trends hold, I might actually be able to gold that one.

Didn't gold S10 but it took me much less time to get a better lap than on my main. While I'm certain VR isn't the only factor in play here, I'm up overall licenses by 6.714 seconds. Here's the times.
1677375988159.png

Last edited:
You are playing backwards dragon. You are supposed to do the main account after the alt so we can see how fast you really are. :lol:
Nice data btw.
Well, perhaps. Up until February 5th I hadn't planned on making an alt account.

Started working on acclimating myself to VR tonight. Started the game over using the VR. I have to say, while there are some niggling issues to deal with, the experience so far has been downright crazy. Elevation changes will have your body arguing with your eyes and brain. At least they did mine at Alsace and Sardegna doing MB8. On a break now letting that argument settle before I tackle the B license. Driving VR is kinda like having 8 screens around you.
My son has oculus 2 , no matter how much tell yourself not real body just begs to differ . Will definitely be looking at getting one , so glad y’all are letting us know how awesome it is . It sounds like worth every penny .

To be brutally honest, if you're finding significant improvement from VR alone(as in you didn't completely change your driving style or pickup on a new technique) then you weren't looking ahead enough to begin with. That is, well, pretty much the only advantage in pace that VR has, and only for some. Specifically, those that left the time on the table to begin with.

Of course, it is easy to say that it's hard to look ahead when you can't turn your head. For everyone still on a single screen, here's a free tip to try tonight; focus on looking ahead where you want the car to go. Keep your eyes up, and don't look down at that curb you're trying to nail. Get your eyes off that road in front of your bumper, and up where you want the car to go next.

That is why when discussing pace with VR, you usually hear two things. First it is usually "I picked up X amount of time," often cited as occuring in a certain(small) number of laps. The next revelation is not uncommonly "well, back to back testing I was able to go just as fast with the screen, but it took me 15 laps instead of 5 to get that fast lap."

That is because what you are usually gaining, is the different visual perspective that VR offers that makes it much easier to (read: do what you already should be doing) look ahead. The same thing happens when somebody discovers that roof cam(hood cam) gives a wider field of view and then they automatically go faster. They naturally start looking ahead more, because it's so easy. And you can focus on looking ahead with a single screen as well, and you will go faster.

When I used to teach a lot more, I worked the novice schools in the spring every year. One of the things I always did that was a little different for my students, is that in the morning at introductions I would hand them a cheat sheet. It had a numbered list of things to remember. The first was look ahead. Then things like "keep two hands on the wheel at 9 and 3, only removing a hand to shift" and "when the car begins to push, unwind the wheel until it catches" and stuff like that. Then every few bullet points, would be some form of "keeping looking ahead" until it was problably annoying to read by the end. The idea was to reinforce that looking ahead is paramount, above all other considerations when driving. Commit that last sentence to memory. Put it on a post-it on your monitor.

That is why after those 15 laps or whatever it takes you to get down there on a single screen, most people will eventually find their ultimate pace between VR and a screen is the same. VR doesn't inherently make you or the car faster, but if your brain was ignoring some of the things that your eyes can do for you; VR will basically spoon feed these to your brain.

Thst is why you will find the fastest guys don't gain much, because they weren't leaving much time on the table. That said, if you are discovering these things for the first time because of VR, you will carry these newfound practices will translate to single screen driving.

In the end, after enough laps, it all comes out in the wash anyway. Someone who runs 200 laps in practice is still going to have a huge advantage. And for most people by the time they've run 2xx laps on a combo, they're driving on autopilot anyway. Hitting their marks, connecting the dots, and most drivers kind of stop thinking about it at that point. And when that happens you're where you're going to be, whether you've got 9467 pixels or six screens or some matrix-style USB connector from your brain to the ECU. We've all got two arms and two legs, well most of us. So barring those who aren't on a wheel, the only difference in how we do things is all in our brains. There is a lot of insight to be had there.

To be brutally honest, if you're finding significant improvement from VR alone(as in you didn't completely change your driving style or pickup on a new technique) then you weren't looking ahead enough to begin with. That is, well, pretty much the only advantage in pace that VR has, and only for some. Specifically, those that left the time on the table to begin with.

Of course, it is easy to say that it's hard to look ahead when you can't turn your head. For everyone still on a single screen, here's a free tip to try tonight; focus on looking ahead where you want the car to go. Keep your eyes up, and don't look down at that curb you're trying to nail. Get your eyes off that road in front of your bumper, and up where you want the car to go next.

That is why when discussing pace with VR, you usually hear two things. First it is usually "I picked up X amount of time," often cited as occuring in a certain(small) number of laps. The next revelation is not uncommonly "well, back to back testing I was able to go just as fast with the screen, but it took me 15 laps instead of 5 to get that fast lap."

That is because what you are usually gaining, is the different visual perspective that VR offers that makes it much easier to (read: do what you already should be doing) look ahead. The same thing happens when somebody discovers that roof cam(hood cam) gives a wider field of view and then they automatically go faster. They naturally start looking ahead more, because it's so easy. And you can focus on looking ahead with a single screen as well, and you will go faster.

When I used to teach a lot more, I worked the novice schools in the spring every year. One of the things I always did that was a little different for my students, is that in the morning at introductions I would hand them a cheat sheet. It had a numbered list of things to remember. The first was look ahead. Then things like "keep two hands on the wheel at 9 and 3, only removing a hand to shift" and "when the car begins to push, unwind the wheel until it catches" and stuff like that. Then every few bullet points, would be some form of "keeping looking ahead" until it was problably annoying to read by the end. The idea was to reinforce that looking ahead is paramount, above all other considerations when driving. Commit that last sentence to memory. Put it on a post-it on your monitor.

That is why after those 15 laps or whatever it takes you to get down there on a single screen, most people will eventually find their ultimate pace between VR and a screen is the same. VR doesn't inherently make you or the car faster, but if your brain was ignoring some of the things that your eyes can do for you; VR will basically spoon feed these to your brain.

Thst is why you will find the fastest guys don't gain much, because they weren't leaving much time on the table. That said, if you are discovering these things for the first time because of VR, you will carry these newfound practices will translate to single screen driving.

In the end, after enough laps, it all comes out in the wash anyway. Someone who runs 200 laps in practice is still going to have a huge advantage. And for most people by the time they've run 2xx laps on a combo, they're driving on autopilot anyway. Hitting their marks, connecting the dots, and most drivers kind of stop thinking about it at that point. And when that happens you're where you're going to be, whether you've got 9467 pixels or six screens or some matrix-style USB connector from your brain to the ECU. We've all got two arms and two legs, well most of us. So barring those who aren't on a wheel, the only difference in how we do things is all in our brains. There is a lot of insight to be had there.
Great info man. 👍

You were not exaggerating one bit on this subject. If anything, you understated the weariness the VR can produce. I worked through licenses IB & IA last night and went to bed at 11p. On a Friday night. I was whupped. Working on S this evening. Got 2 more to do and see where I stand against my main in the license tests. Will post the times up when I get done with S10. If current trends hold, I might actually be able to gold that one.

Didn't gold S10 but it took me much less time to get a better lap than on my main. While I'm certain VR isn't the only factor in play here, I'm up overall licenses by 6.714 seconds. Here's the times.
View attachment 1234630
Those times from the Main account, are they old? The grip has changed in a recent update (few months). I had a couple top 10 and close to top 10 that are now .200-.300 faster. The grip has change atleast 3 times since the game release. That's one of the reasons I stopped grinding licences to join top 10.

Those times from the Main account, are they old? The grip has changed in a recent update (few months). I had a couple top 10 and close to top 10 that are now .200-.300 faster. The grip has change atleast 3 times since the game release. That's one of the reasons I stopped grinding licences to join top 10.
Late December/January was when I did those.

Back