◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
I think we should set up a poll and make this a real democracy.

So far it seems the majority of people posting here on the thread are for hardening the tires.

I never said three months.

Ha! I read "these months" as "three months"

I said I was new to this league so I have no idea what you guys used to run. But I assume everytime you change its because some people are unhappy

That's typically from where change stems.

some are happy and some are indifferent.

Hence the discussion and not just an immediate action.

I am very surprised to hear that you only race in Snail rooms but that's just a personal note. It's most likely due to the fact that all your racing buddies are in the series.

It's due to the fact that I don't play much other than Sunday nights. The other times that I do I'm typically trying to get through the seasonal events or through A-Spec for the third-ish time. I guess if I do play in the open lobby it's in a shuffle room; where men are men and tires are hard. ;) But overall I just don't play all that much. It is a personal note, but, hell, I want S.N.A.I.L. to be what I want it to be, after all.

I would argue the Majority of racers on the net prefer softer tires.

As evidenced by all of the RS rooms. :yuck:

I don't know about the Snail population but I doubt the majority of Snail racers want the tires to go harder.

The majority of voiced opinions right now seem to be for the harder compounds, but not everyone does much/any posting around here.

I don't mind adjusting the scale toward harder tires, but my opinion is to keep the scale consistant among all the divisions.

If we go with harder tires we would be further reducing the impact of tire wear during the race.

Hey KuulKrinne,

Thanks for your patience and giving me a nudge 👍 Glad you'd like to join S.N.A.I.L.

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

Steps:
1. I add you three to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L. (Done)
2. You run the Time Trial.
3. You each Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time from the time trial.
4. I assign each of you to the appropriate Division. Please note, you will not be able to race Sunday until you've submitted a time to me.
5. A PSN friend request will be sent from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :)

The original post has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

The second post has the current race lineup and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread. To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

which time should be a good one? :D

The majority of voiced opinions right now seem to be for the harder compounds, but not everyone does much/any posting around here.

The vocal minority ;)

If I had to choose I'd say either keep it the same or go harder. Not softer. But the harder you go the more racers you might alienate. I'd rather keep the grids full and make sure the majority has fun. So whatever it takes for that to happen.

I too feel that we should have the same tire scale for all divisions. It's the only way to be able to compare division to divison and that is an invaluable tool for the purpose of promotion and releation and keeping drivers in the right division.

I like Ap's scale as it still allows the possibility of having tire wear factor in some races. I would absolutly object to anything that didn't allow for the realistic possibility of wear to come into play at some time.

Sorry I've been busy. But, I wanted to plug the Tuesday series one more time.

If you are interested in the SNAIL Tuner and Team Series, please sign up now!

You can sign up as a driver, as a tuner, as both. We will be running for four weeks, not six. And each driver will get to drop their lowest week.

As far as I know, this is the only SNAIL series that allows tuning? Is that right?

We are up to 10, which is enough to run a decent season. If we can double that we can introduce a second class. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Adding to what Vol said about the Tuner Series, driving as a team is so much fun! Working together to get the setup right was very cool. A real learning experience and lots of fun.

Vol's trying to fill two grids, so come on S.N.A.I.L.s let's help him out :)

Did I mention it's a lot of fun???

I'd love to join but I just can't get my wife to buy it. She already suspects I have a life of my own. I'd hate to confirm that and face her wrath.

Vol's trying to fill two grids, so come on S.N.A.I.L.s let's help him out :)

Did I mention it's a lot of fun???

Ok, I shall hold you to that claim sir. If I'm not having fun I hold you personally responsible... although I'm still giddy from my first spec race, so you're probably safe.

But just in case, I submit that the Kubelwagen should be used for punishment somehow haha

Ok, I shall hold you to that claim sir. If I'm not having fun I hold you personally responsible...

I've got big shoulders :)

although I'm still giddy from my first spec race, so you're probably safe.

awesome 👍

But just in case, I submit that the Kubelwagen should be used for punishment somehow haha

Full modded the Kubelwagen is quite fun to drive, surprisingly :lol: Stock not so much. Did a race a Monza with some buds just for laughs.

My vote ....

1) Keep all Divisions on the same tires for comparison sake and to better gauge one's progress.

My opinions ....

1) I liked the tires regs just as they are but would favor running a grade softer (contrary to most vocalized statements). I think that they might offer more grip which can make the racing better in some respects. The races don't seem to be long enough for wear to be a major factor unless you're really aggressive.

2) Running a softer compound will wear faster (and here's the important point) unless you run smooth and manage your tires. This can make the racing better (more variables) also.

3) My suggestion would be to set a soft tire spec and also give those who want to run a harder tire the option to do so. The purists who want harder tires can do so. Those who think they can manage softer tires can do so and those who can't manage the soft tires can select the harder tire to compensate.

Kinda like the F1 system of two compounds ... the Primary and the Option tire. Of course there is always the possibility that the room set up won't allow for this :scared:

In any case, I'm new to this group and format but I can adapt to whatever spec is set :)

Allowing two compounds in a race would be pointless because the softer compound will always* win.

Have you watched the replays from your races, ANFD? I'll bet your competitors would disagree about wanting softer/less durable tires on the Ferrari. Seems at least a few of them had a hard time finishing out that race with anything but metal on the back wheels.

*the only possible caveat to this may be Racing Soft vs. Racing Medium, but even that's unlikely.

But the harder you go the more racers you might alienate. I'd rather keep the grids full and make sure the majority has fun. So whatever it takes for that to happen.

This.

It's all fine to cater for the top divisions, but we can't ignore the rest....there are plenty of us who struggle with certain cars on the current tyre regs as it is and taking grip away won't help matters.

Stock tires for every vehicle. Or one softer than stock. Use a similar system to above for RM cars since they'll have sports tires as stock.

This gets my vote from the last time we had this discussion. I say all cars race on stock tires or one grade better. The exception being RM/TCs which should run on RH tires.

This.

It's all fine to cater for the top divisions, but we can't ignore the rest....there are plenty of us who struggle with certain cars on the current tyre regs as it is and taking grip away won't help matters.

That's definitely a concern I have for the lower Divisions. We already struggle to keep Division 5 drivers for more than a week or two, it's a bit of a revolving door to be honest. Throwing up a hurdle to drivers of that skill level, in my opinion, will not help S.N.A.I.L.

I don't really want to have different tyre regs for the Divisions, it'll make promotion and relegation more difficult and comparing times across those Divisions meaningless.

I'm not saying don't lower the tyre grades (damn double negatives), but let's not get too carried away with where we land. As others have said, in our Sunday races you never have to pit, but a lot of times you do have to adjust to the drop in grip through a race, and that's not a bad thing :)

Allowing two compounds in a race would be pointless because the softer compound will always* win.

Have you watched the replays from your races, ANFD? I'll bet your competitors would disagree about wanting softer/less durable tires on the Ferrari. Seems at least a few of them had a hard time finishing out that race with anything but metal on the back wheels.

*the only possible caveat to this may be Racing Soft vs. Racing Medium, but even that's unlikely.

I would wager that the D1 drivers could be 1-2 tire grades worse than lower D4 or D5, and probably beat most of us.

The more I think about the tire issues, the more I feel it doesn't need to be changed much if at all. SNAIL is a league for all skill levels with the opportunity to move up or down as your skill level and the skill level of other drivers changes. It is important to be able to compare lap times between divisions so the playing field (as far as tires, cars, and tracks) needs to be kept the same throughout all divisions.

The tires being used need to be able to work for all the varying skill level in the league. There needs to be enough grip for D5 to be in control of their cars. There needs to be enough of a challenge for D1 so that they're not just riding around on rails for the entire race. What we have now is a nice balance of that. I really think most of the league participants would agree with that. There are a few that have expressed a displeasure with the current tire model but I feel many of those complainers are suggesting change that would not be in the best interest of the entire league. Some D1 guys want to downgrade the tires so far that the D5 guys would have a very difficult time of having a race without major incidents due to lack of grip. I'm of the opinion that the tire rules have been here longer than most of our drivers. This means that most of our drivers joined the league knowing what the tire rules were and they still joined. You're never going to make everybody happy with the tires in use so why bother making changes everytime someone expresses displeasure?

Bottom line, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At this point, it ain't broke.

That's kinda my point ... I had lots of tire left on the Ferrari because of driving style. It teaches (read forces) drivers to be smoother. And it doesn't say anywhere that they can't pit for new tires :) I realize there is no one answer that meets everyones expectations .... heck, I can't even make up my own mind what would be best.

I really think Bowler says it best in his post just above this one. One of the reasons I joined in the first place (albeit recently) was because I thought the tire combinations were well thought out .

Good points bowler. Can we fill the grids first? There were 5 drivers in Division V for the last race of the evening.

I think the tires should stay the same. The Indy race was fun knowing your tires would fall off if you overdrove the car. To me tires like that make you improve your driving because you have to learn to be smooth to keep them alive for the length of the race. Honestly if you drive smooth you can do at least 2 more laps at indy before you can't drive the car anymore. For those having trouble with them just try being smoother on the gas and not accelerating until you start straightening the wheel coming off the corner. Short shift if needed and where you can use a higher gear.

Back