1.06 update coming april 7th!

• Thread starter danielc
  • 785 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely useless... It does nothing for users beyond a handful of scion/BRZ owners and further useless if they don't take them to the track...
You know you aren't bound to use only your own data, right? You can download the data from anyone who's chosen to share it - like, say, professional drivers in a race.

The system in the car is merely content creation and has nothing, really, to do with Gran Turismo or v1.06 - it'd be there regardless of PD's schedule. The GPS Visualiser in v1.06 is an application for GT6 players to use that content - all of us.

You shouldn't be getting "v1.06 means Toyota drivers can see their laps in GT6". You should be getting "v1.06 means GT6 players can see any compatible content created by anyone anywhere in the world" - it merely starts off with Toyota drivers at a smattering of tracks because that's what Toyota's system supports.

Edit: I've removed over 100 posts from this thread (I may, I'm afraid, have caught a couple of useful posts in the process, simply because they were responding to deleted posts) and reopened it.

I'd invite people to remember the remit. This thread is for discussing the features (okay, so far, the feature) in v1.06 - good or bad. It's not for discussing what other features you think should be in it, what other features you think should be prioritised over it or your personal opinions on Sony, Polyphony Digital or Kazunori Yamauchi.

Last edited:
I've come to this thread looking for a bit more information on v1.06 before I write something for GTPlanet but, despite the title, I see this is the "complain about promises" thread.

I was under the impression we had very many of those already and that the last time there was an update thread taken over in this manner I deleted a significant number of posts and warned people what would happen if they insisted on destroying GTPlanet's functionality as a resource because they wanted to muck-fling as far as they could manage. Perhaps I was mistaken.

I guess we do have freedom of speech here. As long as you agree with it. Is that how it works?

I guess we do have freedom of speech here. As long as you agree with it. Is that how it works?
No. You have no freedom of speech here. Please re-read the Acceptable Use Policy to which you agreed.

However, as it happens, we grant the membership quite a lot of freedom. For instance you can complain about any aspect of GT6 as much as you like in the threads for complaining about GT6. Like what I said in the post you just quoted. This thread isn't for complaining about Zahara or DLC cars, or Vision GT or Kazunori's gentleman racing escapades, or the concept of monthly updates or what Sony promised. It's about update version 1.06 - the clue is in the title. That's what you discuss here. Like I said in the post directly above the one you just made:

I'd invite people to remember the remit. This thread is for discussing the features (okay, so far, the feature) in v1.06 - good or bad. It's not for discussing what other features you think should be in it, what other features you think should be prioritised over it or your personal opinions on Sony, Polyphony Digital or Kazunori Yamauchi.

Famine thanks for the unlock and house cleaning. 👍

@Jordan drove Scion FR-S at Streets of Willow using the feature, and I really doubt that PD would need to install track side sensors just to make it work.

I forgot about that, I was referring to the CAN-Gateway ECU they showed back in 2012.
I guess since then, they have upgraded to GPS-based like the one Jordan drove.
So no more need for trackside stuff. :)

Misunderstanding, assumptions based on misunderstanding, wild speculation from assumptions based on misunderstanding, misunderstanding of wild speculation from assumptions based on previous misunderstanding.

Noob 1: "So, this GPS data visualization thingy will make my car faster from real life data?"

Noob 2: "Yeah, like more horse power or something from reality data going into Gran Turismo."

Noob 1: "Bro, that's awesome!"

Noob 2: "I know, right!"

Facepalm+Colage.+Eeyup_40a9a2_3197505.gif

Does this mean we're not getting the course maker? :(

No not really. Doesn't mean much about any other content of 1.06 that may or may not be included.

What is odd is that the whole announcement was made on the Japanese site only. With apparently only Japanese tracks being supported could that mean that this update will be for Japan only?

Does this mean we're not getting the course maker? :(
At the moment, all that we know about the update is posted in the article on the GTPlanet home page. That doesn't mean there's not other things in it and it doesn't mean that any other feature has been canned.

However, some folk have suggested that the integration of the GPS Visualiser with real world data is crucial to the course maker function, so it may be a necessary step towards it.
What is odd is that the whole announcement was made on only the Japanese site. With apparently only Japanese tracks being supported could that mean that this update will be for Japan only?
No.

GT6 is GT6 everywhere. Even the Frozen Black Metallic M4 that Japanese players were gifted still exists in the v1.05 software, though we can no longer buy it from the showroom.

Maybe somebody in the auto techy world can clarify a thought that have. From what I read a while back, when needing a code reader for a 2006 Mazda I had, I found that my old OBD II reader wouldn't work. I needed one that was CAN compatible, as in 2008 car makers were required to use that system(CAN), from then on. Mazda starting using it in 2006, as evident by the car I had, a MX5.

So, my thought is, if cars manufactured after 2008 have a CAN type computer system, it may be possible that this GPS thing will work with a ton of other car/trucks. Maybe some other additional interface "tool" might be needed, I don't know. Which is where a auto tech, might be able to confirm or deny.

Also, it's possible this feature could be part of the eventual GPS course creator. All speculation, of course, but trying to look on the bright side. :)

No not really. Doesn't mean much about any other content of 1.06 that may or may not be included.

What is odd is that the whole announcement was made on the Japanese site only. With apparently only Japanese tracks being supported could that mean that this update will be for Japan only?

Lets hope not

MMX
So, my thought is, if cars manufactured after 2008 have a CAN type computer system, it may be possible that this GPS thing will work with a ton of other car/trucks.
Yes. Anything that uses drive-by-wire (and most things not) uses the data. The Toyota/Denso system (and Nismo one, presumably) merely ("merely"! Ha!) stores it along with GPS data.
MMX
Maybe some other additional interface "tool" might be needed, I don't know.
I'm pretty sure this is what the manufacturers have been working on.

Incidentally, when I was covering the limited edition Lancer Evolution X FQ440 the other day, I noticed this in the press release:
Mitsubishi Motors UK
All vehicles will be fitted with a data recorder which is connected through the On-board diagnostic (OBD) system. This will record details such as driving style, performance, vehicle diagnostics, and present location. Details of the data will be available to both CCC [Colt Car Company - Mitsubishi UK] and the registered owner of the vehicle. The fitment of, and reporting of data from this device is a condition of the vehicle warranty.
Sounds familiar, no?

So basically, and I am discussing the update Famine, we are getting another useless feature like the last useless featured update for a broken, incomplete game. That pretty much sums it up. Continue with your thread and thanks for reading.
You asking a mod to agree with your opinion? Or are you stating this "useless feature" is factually that? This is the wonderful world wide web! Opinions are facts even before the facts are actually fact? So much for the update, we already have people who state it is useless! Why do this?

Carrera gt,the course maker will probably be the last feature, here's why i think that: the gps data won't have the surroundings, so they need to create all tools enabling you to create from asphalt color, to grand stands, to track width, and etc. With other gps features first, they will tweak the capturing mode for the future implementation .

The mistake in my opinion is making it a toyota acessory, instead of a gran turismo one. Many trackday apps bundled with obd2 dongles do already the gps analyzer, data logger and course maker.

The mistake in my opinion is making it a toyota acessory, instead of a gran turismo one.
It's not. The Toyota box merely provides data in a proprietary format. Gran Turismo's GPS Visualiser is simply one application that can read that format.

Nissan also apparently have a similar device, also coming out in June, also featured on the GTPlanet news page.

The thing that collects the data is nothing to do with GT. GT6 is just a program that can read it - and in GT6's case, turn it into an in-game replay with Data Logger functionality.

They often post news on Japanese version of the website first. It was the same with Senna video.

@Famine, this is what i mean, if gt paid denso to build and develop this, and rebrand it gt, it would have a bigger range. More manufacturers would aprove/convert format (if necessary, wich i dont think so) to be a part of it. Sell gt with this at the dealerships. make playstation, this and the game bundles, etc.

@Famine, this is what i mean, if gt paid denso to build and develop this, and rebrand it gt, it would have a bigger range. More manufacturers would aprove/convert format (if necessary, wich i dont think so) to be a part of it. Sell gt with this at the dealerships. make playstation, this and the game bundles, etc.
I see what you mean - make the data-gathering box a GT accessory, to sell copies of the game with the car.

I'm not sure it's feasible, but the good news is that CANbus is industry standard now so how the data is treated is completely manufacturer independent. It's just the storing of it that's necessary, and Denso isn't really brand-specific either - one of my Mazdas has Denso-branded electrical components (including the ECU) and that's from 1993!

The GT86 should merely be the first of many, along with the GT-R.

The unfortunate (and admittedly speculative) idea I get from this, besides the fact that I find it a pointless waste of pd resources, is that the much hyped "create your own tracks using gps" feature will not be functional through any kind of mobile device app but instead will require one of these in car systems that is mentioned. Which is only going to be a possibility for a VERY narrow range of GT6 players based on financial means and including but not limited to owning a compatible vehicle. So one of the features that I was most excited about is nothing but hot air. An intentionally vague description of a feature to promote sales that 99.9% of us will never be able to use. Just another toy for Kaz. Fact is many of the advertised features will probably not see the light of day atleast in the form we'd all hoped and assumed. (imo)
PD will never get another dime from me. :(

Edited to remove unecessary kaz negativity.

Last edited:

That's what I'm wondering. Where is an Official announcement from Polly Phony Digital. I know that this is a Fansite not associated with Sony or PD but, Jordan has gotten a lot of info for the community but this is coming from a GTP user that was just checking out the Japanese GT6 site. Also I remember MotorTrend or Road & Track talking about this feature a month or two ago and they mentioned that it would not be coming to North America. It was a Japan only feature. Anybody else remember seeing that article?

Also I remember MotorTrend or Road & Track talking about this feature a month or two ago and they mentioned that it would not be coming to North America. It was a Japan only feature. Anybody else remember seeing that article?

Yes, but don't have the link handy.
That being said, I believe the announcement to be official and Sony-approved/sanctioned.

I would not be surprised if the Japan Domestic Market gets it first.
Having lived there, I can tell you they get a lot of auto tech NA doesn't.

Last edited:
GT is first and foremost a GAME, not a development tool for people who run track days. If PD continue to loose sight of that then the cash flow will cease. All the speculation of "how cool this could be and what MIGHT be done with potential data made available" is just that, speculation. My bet is that a year from now few people will even remember it existed and it will have little to no (positive) impact on the series or general public.

Of course all these complaints may be moot if 1.06 comes out and actually delivers something worth while.

swg
The unfortunate (and admittedly speculative) idea I get from this, besides the fact that I find it a pointless waste of pd resources, is that the much hyped "create your own tracks using gps" feature will not be functional through any kind of mobile device app but instead will require one of these in car systems that is mentioned. Which is only going to be a possibility for a VERY narrow range of GT6 players based on financial means and including but not limited to owning a compatible vehicle.
I don't think that's a reasonable assumption - and the rest of your post is what we want to avoid on this thread, thanks.
That's what I'm wondering. Where is an Official announcement from Polly Phony Digital. I know that this is a Fansite not associated with Sony or PD but, Jordan has gotten a lot of info for the community but this is coming from a GTP user that was just checking out the Japanese GT6 site.
This came from the official Gran Turismo website (managed by SCEI - Sony) and the official Gran Turismo Youtube account (managed by SCEI). PD, incidentally, don't make announcements - it's all handled by their publisher who is... Sony. It's official.

I don't think that's a reasonable assumption - and the rest of your post is what we want to avoid on this thread, thanks.
This came from the official Gran Turismo website (managed by SCEI - Sony) and the official Gran Turismo Youtube account (managed by SCEI). PD, incidentally, don't make announcements - it's all handled by their publisher who is... Sony. It's official.
Sorry Famine, I meant on the North American website. It was last updated March 25th with this"Ayrton Senna Institute releases a movie celebrating the 30th anniversary of Senna’s F1 Debut" with no posts after that. No new update for North America?

"I'd invite people to remember the remit. This thread is for discussing the features (okay, so far, the feature) in v1.06 - good or bad. "

Did you miss the part where I said admittedly speculative? You say good or bad but then criticize any comments of the "bad" opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back