1.06 update coming april 7th!

• Thread starter danielc
  • 785 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
very easy to beat? You must be a really great driver to presume you can beat an un-named opponent that easily.

Awesome, nice feature that I won't be able to use...

Not only do I not own a car that I could use it with, but I don't live anywhere near any track in Gran Turismo. Hopefully we'll be able to share ghost data at least.

very easy to beat? You must be a really great driver to presume you can beat an un-named opponent that easily.
Actually, in general you can spank pro driver times from real life in racing games - even if it's a totally faithful simulation of reality (which GT6 isn't).

They discovered this when the head-to-head with Coulthard took place - practice times were a good few seconds better than Coulthard managed. So they nerfed the tyres.

Actually, in general you can spank pro driver times from real life in racing games - even if it's a totally faithful simulation of reality (which GT6 isn't).

They discovered this when the head-to-head with Coulthard took place - practice times were a good few seconds better than Coulthard managed. So they nerfed the tyres.
Aaaah, I never got the chance to participate in that event so I was not aware. :(

Again how is that any awesome?

They'd be much slower since they're driving a real car.

I'm still not seeing a decent implications for the tech but maybe it's just me.

Well you're probably right but seeing lines of famous racing drivers is still great. And they would be definitely faster than AI - better braking points, faster exits - just looking more real in general.

Yes we would beat them but we'd have to learn the circuit first. It wouldn't be as easy as it is now.

Not if the car you will drive on GT6 is the same as in real life ( spec based on data logger car data + setup ), including tire grip level. Lets's not forget that GPS visualizer data is exact copy of a run done in real life recreated in GT6, that means GT6 is capable to recreate the exact same car used in real life.

I can see seasonal TTs where the car is given and the exact copy used in real life in terms of setup ( power, weight, tune, and tire ), try to beat famous Best Motoring drivers lap time at Tsukuba, Suzuka and Fuji, sounds like a challenge to me.

Ok PD, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe, just maybe, this update has other kind of content or additions.

But if that GPS thingymabob is the only thing that'll come with this update, your entire strategy should be put into question. Come on, what's your target audience? 15-20 year old middle-class males? Yeah, we all have access to racetracks and GT86s with aftermarket ECUs. That's just dumb. If it's something that hasn't done before, well, maybe there is a reason for that. What's the point in claiming you're the first videogame with such tech if it's...rather pointless?

And on the topic of ghost lap races with famous personalities: Woulnd't it just be easier to sit Kaz, or Seb. Loeb, or Seb. Vettel in a GT6 race pod and be done with it? That way, you'll be competing in the same circumstances with them instead of racing in a virtual reality where you're significantly faster. Plus, it's much more practical and achievable than asking racing teams access to their damn ECUs...

I'm not interested in the data logger since I won't be able to use it, but I'm hoping we get some good secondary stuff like bug fixes and fixes in general. I also want more garage space :(

The big flaw in the " system" to me was that denso should release this gimmick as a gt branded gear, to be used on any car in game with can bus network, not restricting to toyobarus, lexus and nissan(the latter coming in yet another future update)

They would both be useful for any member clicking on the thread to find out more about v1.06. Currently this thread is:

C - People talk about other features not included, "promises", GT6 in general, Gran Turismo as a whole and the concept of modern, updateable games in contrast to the final product of previous generations. Given time it will extend to PD stealing your money and Kazunori Yamauchi's racing distracting him from the game.

That's not useful. Any article on the GTPlanet blog about an update will feature a link to the active thread on the update (usually under the label "Read more about [] on our forums") and if it's not discussing the update or giving any information about it what's the point of directing readers to it? We're just sending them into a poo-flinging match, oft-dominated by the disaffected.

We have other threads for that purpose. This one is for discussing v1.06.

I cannot like this post enough. This needs to be posted in every thread that's been consumed by "the disaffected".

If it's something that hasn't done before, well, maybe there is a reason for that. What's the point in claiming you're the first videogame with such tech if it's...rather pointless?

It is not pointless, imagine the very day when the Nurburgring will be added to the supported circuits and when more and more cars will get support for the device.

This is one technology being born after 3 years in the making. I can understand it does seem far-fetched for majority of us, but from the game-developer point of view, it is a dream come true.

Since you have to "run" all collected GPS data through PD's servers in order to get in-game version, all people that will run over those circuits will basically become a test-drivers for the game. We will all benefit from that, because this device will allow enormous amounts of data-collecting over various situations and will allow for astonishing amount of real-life track testing.

I really fail to understand the massive disappointment here, because this particular functionality is great and will benefit the future life of GT games immensely.

I am personally equally amazed by the effort invested in this technology and its final outcome. Something that has been reserved for professional race-teams only will become available for normal people to use in the future years. And it will be cross-used to improve the game. I don't know, but for me this is a true breakthrough, bit I can see I am a minority around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you're probably right but seeing lines of famous racing drivers is still great. And they would be definitely faster than AI - better braking points, faster exits - just looking more real in general.

Yes we would beat them but we'd have to learn the circuit first. It wouldn't be as easy as it is now.

will they be faster than the AI? and if they are when do you race AI in a time trial? seeing their racing line is again useless, we all know the racing lines of the tracks, you won't see anything different.

Infact their racing lines will be conservative. I get your points but unless PD somehow vastly improve their physics to be near identical to real life, this tech will still remain useless.

Not if the car you will drive on GT6 is the same as in real life ( spec based on data logger car data + setup ), including tire grip level. Lets's not forget that GPS visualizer data is exact copy of a run done in real life recreated in GT6, that means GT6 is capable to recreate the exact same car used in real life.

I can see seasonal TTs where the car is given and the exact copy used in real life in terms of setup ( power, weight, tune, and tire ), try to beat famous Best Motoring drivers lap time at Tsukuba, Suzuka and Fuji, sounds like a challenge to me.

An identical car driven by Ayrton Senna himself on the same track with the same tyres and all assists off still won't come anywhere near our times in a game we've been practicing with for years.

It might work in Tsukuba but any track that isn't that short it simply won't.

The only benefit I see is collecting data like @amar212 stated.

This certainly looks like the required underlying technology for Course Maker. Course Maker requires a lot more work on top of this technology of course, such as providing a way of visualizing "stuff" around the recorded GPS line. For example the road, sides of the road and barriers, scenic elements. Not to mention the ability for the user to do some tailoring of the course, such as setting a start finish line etc.

Looks like a step in the right direction.

Toyota City, Japan, April 2, 2014―Toyota Motor Corporation will launch the “Sports Drive Logger” onboard telemetry recording device, an exciting new way to enjoy driving by fusing the thrill and adrenaline of track driving with the comfort and fun of home gaming. Designed specifically for the Toyota "86" sports car, the Sports Drive Logger will be released throughout Japan on June 2*1 with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of 91,800 yen*2.

The logger collects data passing through the vehicle’s controller area network (CAN) and also positional data from its dedicated GPS, and formats the data for easy copying to USB memory. CAN data can include GPS data, accelerator pedal strokes, steering angles, brake operation signals, shift operation signals, engine speed and vehicle speed.

The first application compatible with the data is Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.’s racing game Gran Turismo 6 (GT6), a PlayStation®3 (PS3) exclusive. On April 2, a PS3 firmware update (version 1.06) will enable the input of driving data recorded at certain racing circuits into GT6’s GPS Visualizer to let users replay track runs and race against their own or their friends’ data.

Furthermore, by using the GPS Data Visualizer in conjunction with GT6’s GPS Data Logger, users will be able to compare their own driving data against those of professional drivers, enabling study and improvement of driving techniques by practicing in concert with model braking, acceleration techniques and racing lines.

Initially supported racing circuits are the Fuji Speedway International Racing Course, the Tsukuba Circuit 2000 Course, and the Suzuka Circuit International Racing Course, with additional circuits planned for the future.

Source - http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/1507891

Released today? o_O

An identical car driven by Ayrton Senna himself on the same track with the same tyres and all assists off still won't come anywhere near our times in a game we've been practicing with for years.

That would be a proper ghost line... Lol

As long as the release notes aren't communicated in full, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. If this is the only update to the game like with the triple screens update though I can understand that 99.9% of gtplanet isn't going to be amused with that :)

They can still do a decent offset to replicate grip levels of actual car if they wanted to though to make it a decent challenge though.
Maybe it is useless for you bit my TV would certainly appreciate it.

It is not pointless, imagine the very day when the Nurburgring will be added to the supported circuits and when more and more cars will get support for the device.

This is one technology being born after 3 years in the making. I can understand it does seem far-fetched for majority of us, but from the game-developer point of view, it is a dream come true.

Since you have to "run" all collected GPS data through PD's servers in order to get in-game version, all people that will run over those circuits will basically become a test-drivers for the game. We will all benefit from that, because this device will allow enormous amounts of data-collecting over various situations and will allow for astonishing amount of real-life track testing.

I really fail to understand the massive disappointment here, because this particular functionality is great and will benefit the future life of GT games immensely.

I am personally equally amazed by the effort invested in this technology and its final outcome. Something that has been reserved for professional race-teams only will become available for normal people to use in the future years. And it will be cross-used to improve the game. I don't know, but for me this is a true breakthrough, bit I can see I am a minority around here.
Are you sure about this part?: "Since you have to "run" all collected GPS data through PD's servers in order to get in-game version"

I thought it will run locally on the PS3.

Anyway what I am looking forward to this this being used to make the physics more realistic which I see they already use such data to do. You can see on replays the tyre model needs a lot of work, similar impressions one gets when driving in the game, hopefully use of this data will help them make a more sophisticated driving simulation.

I have built many replicas on my garage - I have power and weight as well as gearing, LSD and suspension replicated as close as possible., some of them are hard to achieve or beat without assists. Try these if you feel you are quick enough, these 2 don't have ABS IRL version ( Best Motoring Tsukuba Tuner Car Battle ) - not many of my GT6 friend are able to beat the lap time - all are Tsukuba lap.

TOP FUEL CIVIC : 1:02.57 target lap ( Sports Medium )
TOP FUEL 'ZERO 1000' Turbo Monster Honda Civic Type R EK9 '97

Tuned to replicate Top Fuel ZERO 1000 Civic Turbo Type R EK9 388PS
featured in Best Motoring Tuned Car Battle ( S Tire )-Sports Medium

View attachment 101810

CAR : Honda Civic Type R '97
Tire : Sports Medium

Specs
Horsepower: 383 HP / 388 PS at 9100 RPM
Torque: 224.0 ft-lb at 8900 RPM
Power Limiter at : 98.5%
Weight: 953 kg
Ballast : 19 kg
Ballast Position : 43
Weight Distribution : 58 / 42 as stock
Performance Points: 526

GT AUTO
Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity ( INSTALLED in this build ) - there's no bad side effect of this, highly recommended.
Flat Floors Type A
Wheels : +1 Inch Up - ADVAN RGII painted in White
Car Paint : Championship White ( stock from dealership )

Tuning Parts Installed :
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter Sports
Intake Tuning
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Five Speed Transmission ( Cross Mission )
Adjustable LSD
Racing Brakes Kit
Twin Plate Clutch Kit
Weight Reduction Stage 2

LSD ( ATS Carbon Spec IV 1.5 way high preload )
Initial Torque : 39
Acceleration Sensitivity: 36
Braking Sensitivity: 30

Suspension - TEIN Super Racing Spec Circuit Master RS Coil Over Kit
Front, Rear

Ride Height: 90 100
Spring Rate: 14.00 10.00
Dampers (Compression): 3 4
Dampers (Extension): 4 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 2 4
Camber Angle: 2.6 1.0
Toe Angle: -0.28 0.00

Brake Balance:
7/5 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 7/5, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 7/5 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :
One of few Japanese Civic EK tuner car with big turbine kit fitted, weight reduction down to only driver seat + race oriented reinforcements, race spec suspension, 5 speed cross mission ( shorter gearing ) giving extreme performance for a civic. This requires the car to be fitted with S tire ( R Compound semi slick tires )-The Top Fuel Zero 1000 uses soft /R compound semi slick tire in The Best Motoring Tuned Car Battle at Tsukuba, and in GT6 equals to sports medium.

The car is tuned to replicate the real car as close as possible, the real car has Super Racing type N1 Coil Over with very high spring rate not available in GT6, so I opted to use the lower spring rate of Super Racing Circuit Master RS ( works just as good ). LSD is replicated - ATS Carbon 1.5 way, this time the LSD is one of the cars strength alongside the potent Circuit Master RS coilovers, able to give great response and traction.

Going for real life spec, camber front should be 2.6, while rear stays the same 1.0. ( if one can post close lap time to real lap time with the 2.6 front camber, then the FF beast is tamed and you are quick )

The real car is capable of 1:02.57 at Tsukuba during test lap and definitely can get better lap time as it has some brake fade issue ( causing sporadic understeer ), my test best lap time ( driving to replicate similar pace + line to the Best Motoring video ) is 1:02.0xx using sports medium and no aids ( with stick giving perfect shifts - with H shifter and wheel, the lap time would be closer )

To get the best of the car, drive like a pro driver would in real life, smooth steering, trail brake, exit with smooth gradual throttle especially on low speed exit ( 2nd gear corner ), only full on when certain you won't lift off anymore.

Enjoy :cheers:

KNIGHT SPORTS RX7SE : 1:03.010 target lap time ( Comfort Soft )

Knight Sports FD3S MAZDA RX7 Spirit R Type A '02 Special Edition

Tuned to replicate Knight Sports 7 Special Edition 402PS
featured in Best Motoring Tuned Car Battle ( N Tire )-Comfort Soft

View attachment 101809

CAR : Mazda RX7 Spirit R Type A '02
Tire : Comfort Soft

Specs
Horsepower: 397 HP / 402 PS at 7200 RPM
Torque: 300.8 ft-lb at 5200 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1103 kg
Ballast : 4 kg
Ballast Position : 50
Weight Distribution : 50 / 50 as stock
Performance Points: 541

GT AUTO
Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity ( INSTALLED in this build ) - there's no bad side effect of this, highly recommended.
Flat Floors Type A
Aero Kits Type A
Wheels : Standard size - ADVAN RGII painted in White
Car Paint : Brilliant Black( stock from dealership )

Tuning Parts Installed :
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter Sports
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Twin Plate Clutch Kit
Weight Reduction Stage 2
Carbon Hood ( Body Color )

LSD ( CUSCO Type MZ 2 way high preload )
Initial Torque : 21
Acceleration Sensitivity: 36
Braking Sensitivity: 36

Suspension - KNIGHT SPORTS ARAGOSTA Coil Over System
Front, Rear

Ride Height: 105 105
Spring Rate: 10.00 12.00
Dampers (Compression): 5 4
Dampers (Extension): 4 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 3
Camber Angle: 1.2 1.2
Toe Angle: -0.16 0.16

Brake Balance:
9/7 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 7/5, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 7/5 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :
One of my all time favorite RX7, watched the car in action long time ago, the car was considered extreme tuner street car back in the day, with lightened body + race oriented reinforcements, race spec suspension, mild power upgrade yet highly potential with normal tire ( street tires ) -The Knight Sports 7 SE uses normal tire in The Best Motoring Tuned Car Battle at Tsukuba.

This build is using the premium RX7 as the closest Efini is standard ( no flat floor ) and do not have the rear wing. The car is tuned to replicate the Knight Sports Aragosta race suspension system instead, the real car has Knight Sports Pro Spec Race Damper Coil Over with high spring rate not available in GT6. LSD also not specified clearly, so a Cusco Type MZ is used instead which is also a high performer.

The real car is capable of 1:03.010 at Tsukuba during test lap and definitely can get better lap time, my test best lap time ( driving to replicate similar pace + line to the Best Motoring video ) is 1:03.005 using comfort soft and above tune.

To get the best of the car, drive like a pro driver would in real life, smooth steering, trail brake, exit with smooth throttle, only full on when certain you won't lift off anymore.

Enjoy :cheers:

So.... Basicly Kaz could use this data to make each car in GT behave like in real life .... Would save him a lot of programming hours .... So more time for other stuff ... Perfect!

They can still do a decent offset to replicate grip levels of actual car if they wanted to though to make it a decent challenge though.
Are you sure about this part?: "Since you have to "run" all collected GPS data through PD's servers in order to get in-game version"
Anyway what I am looking forward to this this being used to make the physics more realistic which I see they already use such data to do. You can see on replays the tyre model needs a lot of work, similar impressions one gets when driving in the game, hopefully use of this data will help them make a more sophisticated driving simulation.

Great thoughts!

Will they go through these length for a simple seasonal event challenge? Fair point though.

I have built many replicas on my garage - I have power and weight as well as gearing, LSD and suspension replicated as close as possible., some of them are hard to achieve or beat without assists. Try these if you feel you are quick enough, these 2 don't have ABS IRL version ( Best Motoring Tsukuba Tuner Car Battle ) - not many of my GT6 friend are able to beat the lap time - all are Tsukuba lap.

Some being the key word here, will try that seems like fun. Pretty impressive replicas by the way.

Noooo ?! A data logger ?! Really ?! How nice.
What about the improved engine sounds ? and anything else than time trials for the seasonal events ? and graphics that are real premium for all cars ? and the promised track designer ? and... ?

Has PD become some kind of political party, promising many things and delivering nothing ?

This is something they've promised, and they've delivered it! Party time! ;D
Just sit tight. I know all the patience has been worn thin, but it proves PD are still making and delivering features mapped out pre-launch. Late, maybe, but it's better than it being "abandoned".

If this actually allows me to view and drive against pro drivers ghosts then that's really awesome, if not then there's no reason 90% of the people playing this game should ever care.

Will they go through these length for a simple seasonal event challenge? Fair point though.
I would think they would need to go to them efforts anyway if they were to set up an event, with a star driver taking part, I would hope they make the effort. GT6 concerns me though as difficulty level was reduced a lot compared to other games. If they do them events, hopefully they disable SRF on them at least :lol:.

@cmbeal317 posted a video released today at the gt channel, also the gt.jp site had a description stating that the 1.06 version will be available on the 7th.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/00_3793638.html

Hype train, boarding now! Tickets for window seats still available!
Edit trd posted today pricing on the hardware, 86000yen
Linky http://www.trdparts.jp/release/2014_drive-logger.html
Edit 2
In the Update added on April 7, 2014, Gran Turismo 6 adds a "GPS Visualizer" feature that takes circuit driving data recorded by compatibly equipped cars and converts it into a visual replay in the game. The addition of this feature makes "Gran Turismo 6" the first officially compatible application with the Toyota's "Sports Drive Logger" going on sale from June 2nd. This movie introduces the comparison between the "GPS Visualizer" replay and actual driving footage.

Gran Turismo had been developing the technology of reproducing actual driving data in a computer graphic replay since 2007, together with Toyota and Denso. Demonstrations had been shown like that of September 2012, where an FT86 was driven on the Fuji Speedway with driving data gained there being recreated in Gran Turismo.

In the Sports Drive Logger, a real time communication system called the CAN (Controller Area Network) is used to record GPS Position, vehicle speed, engine revolutions, accelerator pedal stroke, steering angle, brake operation signals, etc, and this can be saved onto a USB memory stick. This in turn can be read in GT6, and converted into an accurate replay image inside the game.

In addition, this data can be combined with the "Data Logger" feature of GT6 to analyze the circuit driving data in-game. It is also possible then to read driving data of professional drivers to compare their driving actions such as brake and accelerator timings with your own.

Completely useless... It does nothing for users beyond a handful of scion/BRZ owners and further useless if they don't take them to the track... And even more useless if they go to a track not in the game...

What a waist of resource and opportunity to appeal to the brauder market or core users...

You know I've been asking myself just this:

What if like any other projects on this big blue planet of ours that PD clenched so much effort on this feature because they have a project line to follow, I mean there a list of project that are coming at a certain time frame and all... now what if that data logger problem was bigger than they though and that they've mustered every tech, programmer, social media manager on this project that they've literally forgot to mention to us that this GPS data logging issue will just take more time than expected.

Even though the comments suggests that the GPS tracking is feature that less than 1% of user will use. remember that GT6, like all it's predecessors, Has the moniker "The real driving simulator" below its name.

I guess that makes it a step forward into this driving simulator. Now that this project is over and about to be released, maybe we will see more updates coming that will surely please you more than this. Probably because what we ask most takes less time than GPS data logging to implement.

I would think they would need to go to them efforts anyway if they were to set up an event, with a star driver taking part, I would hope they make the effort. GT6 concerns me though as difficulty level was reduced a lot compared to other games. If they do them events, hopefully they disable SRF on them at least :lol:.

I hope if we get to race Vettel's previous F1 car we have Traction control on. /wow that joke is new

Its quite awe-inspiring how little actual useful content there is in this thread. It makes me mindful of Aldous Huxley's summing up of the literary talents of one Amanda McKittrick...

"...the result of the discovery of art by an unsophisticated mind and of its first conscious attempt to produce the artistic."

Substitute "art" with "thought"... close enough.

Wake me up when the update is released or there is any new information of any relevance, whichever comes first; we absolutely do not need another opinion-circus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back