1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,422 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Haven't seen it in person, no.

Car in detail: https://domalorite.blogspot.com/2018/08/hot-wheels-2018-shop-trucks-35-83-chevy.html

Close up of the ink jet printing:

P6223212.JPG

The Nationals one is even worse, because its a convention model. And they shouldn't be restricted by production costs given their $20 retail price.

https://domalorite.blogspot.com/2018/08/hot-wheels-2018-18th-annual-collectors.html

P6224412.JPG
P6224414.JPG

Compared to the $2 mainline:

https://domalorite.blogspot.com/2018/02/hot-wheels-2018-chevrolet-trucks-100.html

P1260071 (1).JPG

Sharp, tampon printed decals. A $2 mainline looking better than a $20 convention model. This is why I'm calling out HW on this.

Sharp, tampon printed decals. A $2 mainline looking better than a $20 convention model. This is why I'm calling out HW on this.
To be fair the quality of the printing could be better, but IMO one of the best parts of the ink jet print is that it fills in the body lines properly. On the mainline you can see how the tampo print doesn't quite fill in the door line. Make it look weird. Granted if it didn't fill the door line in at all it would probably look better, but having it partly filled and partly unfilled looks terrible. Also with the tampo printing, lining up designs with multiple layers can be hit or miss. I've gone through numerous cars in dump bins before trying to find just a single car that didn't have offset tampo prints and it can get nearly impossible at times.

offset tampo prints

Misaligned tampos is another story :lol::lol:

But Greenlight shows how a $6 car can be done right. The blue 510 BRE is perfection as can be, and all for $6 šŸ‘šŸ‘ There maybe other manufacturing ā€˜defectsā€™ but thatā€™s Greenlight being Greenlight!

Car in detail: https://domalorite.blogspot.com/2018/08/hot-wheels-2018-shop-trucks-35-83-chevy.html

Close up of the ink jet printing:

View attachment 766630

The Nationals one is even worse, because its a convention model. And they shouldn't be restricted by production costs given their $20 retail price.

https://domalorite.blogspot.com/2018/08/hot-wheels-2018-18th-annual-collectors.html

View attachment 766631 View attachment 766632

Compared to the $2 mainline:

https://domalorite.blogspot.com/2018/02/hot-wheels-2018-chevrolet-trucks-100.html

View attachment 766633

Collector items are less about quality and a whole lot more about selling the "rarity" and perceived value to collectors. I had a convention 1996 release '59 Impala, which was literally the First Editions release from a year or two earlier, tampos deleted and white flame decals stuck on the sides.

Depending on how limited this convention is, they might not justify the production cost of getting a tampo print set up just for a few hundred cars (for example).

Fixed. :P

But seriously Greenlight is very hit or miss. For every perfect car they have there are 10 that are definitely not.

Yes, Autoworld fits the bill. The few I have are very high quality. Pity they donā€™t sell much AW around here.

Collector items are less about quality and a whole lot more about selling the "rarity" and perceived value to collectors.

One of the most honest posts ever. Sadly this is what diecast collecting has become.

One of the most honest posts ever. Sadly this is what diecast collecting has become.
What's funny is that HW Super TH's, which are supposed to be "rare" and highly collectible are still made is huge quantities. Then you have Auto World that makes between 1500 and 3500 of each car for each release. Significantly fewer quantities that the TH's...

Not really. Things that are popularly considered collectibles often times aren't made of the highest quality materials to begin with.

Companies can mass produce the same crappy plastic action figures or prints millions of basic trading cards at say $0.005 a piece, selling for say $5 a pack or whatever.

Consumers will keep on buying more of this stuff so long as they get in their heads these are worth more than that. Companies (aside from posting "limited edition") really don't have put any more effort into making these sell the way they do, so as a business owner, why drive up operational costs when profits are still steady (if not rising)?

That said, moving up to 1/18 diecasts (and resins) has been more appealing, because even though I'm hooked on the "Limited Edition" label, I commit to products that are put together very well. They are still collectibles (with the way I hoard a bunch and see it for its monetary value), but they also make great decor!

I have not walked into a Walmart in ages.

Last edited:
Not sure if I understood the intent of your first post, and I'm not sure if you understood the intent of my reply. What I meant was this:

(with the way I hoard a bunch and see it for its monetary value)

Too many people are not collecting diecasts for the car, but for the potential investment return it might possibly bring five years in the future. Its really sad the state of collecting in general nowadays, not just diecasts. Too much get rich quick mindset, and the manufacturers feed into that with their $TH, and 999 quantities.

Not sure if I understood the intent of your first post, and I'm not sure if you understood the intent of my reply. What I meant was this:

Too many people are not collecting diecasts for the car, but for the potential investment return it might possibly bring five years in the future. Its really sad the state of collecting in general nowadays, not just diecasts. Too much get rich quick mindset, and the manufacturers feed into that with their $TH, and 999 quantities.

Nah I understood. ROI is undoubtedly one of the primary driving forces people keep these businesses alive. The ease of access to so-called "rare" stuff and how fast the price these go up in a few auctions is probably why everyone wants to get in on it. If I didn't know $THs could get you a quick buck in a week, I wouldn't have picked up that Miura Aventador some months ago (sad fact: I still haven't sold it yet).

It's a problem that will continue to perpetuate if there isn't anyone out there to change that.

It's also worth pointing out we're probably a small percentage of model minicar collectors that are critical about how the thing looks when it reaches shelves.

Remember: HW collectors out there still drool about the Bugatti Veyron casting. That pancake-face thing! "OMG This thing is worth hunnnndreds!"

It's a problem that will continue to perpetuate if there isn't anyone out there to change that.

It's also worth pointing out we're probably a small percentage of model minicar collectors that are critical about how the thing looks when it reaches shelves.

Remember: HW collectors out there still drool about the Bugatti Veyron casting. That pancake-face thing! "OMG This thing is worth hunnnndreds!"

The collecting circle of life. It will only get worse. It brings in the big bucks from idiots like me.

This is the only forum I use because of the members here. We can chat and argue, agree and disagree, but all civilised and respectful to each other. And we are all true collectors and not afraid to say it as it is. The best.

And so on to this:

Old school Hot Wheels. Perfect tampos, great casting. This is my favourite HW Camaro. Love the colour combination and design.

However, word of warning for anyone thinking of buying it. Get one where the rubber band has come off. After all those years, the band will stick to the car. Removing it will also remove the black paint... much to my horror :(:boggled:

My HK edition EK9's arrived yesterday, large carbon aside, I'm glad I was able to pick them up!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the HK versions have a plastic tailgate vs. the full metal casting on the regular release. I was surprised as the casting already has a lot of plastic with the hood and front bumper, is this a further cost-cutting measure from Tomica or were they having casting/assembly problems?

Found the one 50th anniversary HW I wanted at Smyths toys, the AMC Javelin. Picked up the red M2 and red Huarya Roadster with it.

I'll just say that I'd be pretty shocked if the rear wheels/tires are as small as they appear in that picture. I doubt it. lol

Back