+1 and +2 size wheels

• Thread starter reefer
  • 9 comments
Is there any benefit in going with larger wheels or is it only for aesthetics? Or does it depend on the car and track?
It depends on the car and tire more then the track. The harder the tire the bigger you want the sidewalls IMO, to a point +1 is almost always a safe bet as it reduces the tire flex by a marginal amount. That said it could be the difference between making and not making the turn at the limit of the car.

Thanks DaBomm and Otaliema. I just can't find any recent discussions on this.

Otaliema, do you run with +1s / 2s with racing softs?

It depends on the car and tire more then the track. The harder the tire the bigger you want the sidewalls IMO, to a point +1 is almost always a safe bet as it reduces the tire flex by a marginal amount. That said it could be the difference between making and not making the turn at the limit of the car.
+1
Softer tire can handle bigger rim, car setup made for harder tire and standard size rim using camber can go really bad when increasing rim size, often have to reduce camber if adding bigger rim. Adding bigger rim and softer tire may go in balance.

Wildest part is differences between rims, I know at this comment may rise 🤬 storm: some rims are better for higher camber values than others, those aren't just for look, there is 0 identical rims on game, all have different effects on car handling. Even same model rims with different color are different also on effects of grip/handling. Rule of thumb; same model rims are presented in appearance from positive to negative inset, high negative side inset is harder to get work on high camber values with harder compounds.
If someone have too much time and intresse to test I have setups where these changes/differences just pops on face.

+1
Softer tire can handle bigger rim, car setup made for harder tire and standard size rim using camber can go really bad when increasing rim size, often have to reduce camber if adding bigger rim. Adding bigger rim and softer tire may go in balance.

Wildest part is differences between rims, I know at this comment may rise 🤬 storm: some rims are better for higher camber values than others, those aren't just for look, there is 0 identical rims on game, all have different effects on car handling. Even same model rims with different color are different also on effects of grip/handling. Rule of thumb; same model rims are presented in appearance from positive to negative inset, high negative side inset is harder to get work on high camber values with harder compounds.
If someone have too much time and intresse to test I have setups where these changes/differences just pops on face.
Where do you have all this informations coming from? Do you have a source or something?
Post your setups.

Where do you have all this informations coming from? Do you have a source or something?
Post your setups.
Storm is raising.:lol:
I'll post setups when having seat time on ps3.
Source is my own highly sensitive body neural system, several year studies on car technology and driven over million kilometers with real car. So just feeling and seeing + understanding.

Post your setups.
Here's my current "work in progress" car, it's not fast or slow, it's just Evora.

Lotus Evora '09 / 450pp
93/94
4.99/9.65
7/6
6/6
5/5
0.3/1.3
0.00/0.06
5/6 bb standard brakes

Gearbox stock->260kmh, then gears and last final.
Fg 3.832

LSD 15/27/19
Standard clutch
Power limiter 86.5%
No ballast, no oil change, no body rigidity improvement, no additional aero parts.

Track, Willow Springs - Big Willow, grip reduction real, no ABS etc. Steering setup "simulation", and much more to get all unnecessary helps out.

First get familiar with car using RAYS TE37V GRAY rims, then start trying others.
Those are slow gathering speed, easy to recover, pretty much just easy wheels.
I'll say semi heavy, large on width, nice rounded edges.
You'll find out how steering is bit heavy on these, and much lighter in example Classic Steel rims.
When you're familiar with car start going thru color sets of different rims.

Edit: forget to mention; use sports hard compound, or comfort softs. Sports might be better to keep driving identical between rims.

Edit 2: easy set: PDI P814 - first black one hits perfectly on "sweet spot" on front tires, making steering wheel to use high force centering, it "drops" on center or line, but rear tires with higher camber aren't on sweet spot and sliding occurs a lot.
Last silver isn't on sweet spot on front but closer to be on middle of both cambers, much better to drive, lighter on steering wheel etc.

Last edited:
@OdeFinn Why there should be differences between same rims different colors? I knw PD are completely crazy and nosense stuff is the norm with them but all these differences between different colors make me sospicious.
Is there any chance everything you are feeling is a huge placebo effect?

@HKS racer plasebo effect where I can identify blindfolded different set of rims.. FFB power differences are so big at you can measure them and feel.

Where PD gets idea of different colors having different inset.. Well.. from real life, there is several manufacturers using same color logic too, some of those rims are presented in GT6 too and those are following same color/inset code in game as IRL.

https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/products/choose.php?lang=en&

Edit: Ups.. ENKEI uses color codes, not RAYS, my mistake :)

Last edited:
Back