10 reasons why Ferrari Challenge is better than GT5P

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 641 comments
I will say that the 430 Challenge is possibly the least interesting car in FC - it just seems to sit very low to the ground & stable & doesn't exhibit the sense of body-roll that most of the other cars do. It isn't the car that best shows-off the FFB in FC.

I agree.

Try both 550GT or 575GT and discover the true values of FC:TP :D

I have to say, fro me, until you can feel the clutch and the bite point I can't see the point. If FC in the EU gets the update for Christmas then I think I'll pick it up in the New Year. I think I'm persuaded :-)

for newer ferraris cluch is not nessesary, but for the old ones it is, even MC:LA has it, and u can feel the clutch more then in gt5p.

ry both 550GT or 575GT and discover the true values of FC:TP

Yes, they seem to be the trickiest cars to drive in FC, with a tendency to slide around under heavy braking (Enthusia anyone?). However, wouldn't the MR cars be more likely to show this characteristic?

I hate those cars ... :D

I adore them, but nobody wants to drive them online. Cowards :D

Yes, they seem to be the trickiest cars to drive in FC, with a tendency to slide around under heavy braking (Enthusia anyone?). However, wouldn't the MR cars be more likely to show this characteristic?

I agree partially. The 550 and 575 slide under braking because they are "weighty". Without assists - and there is no other way of course - you just have to brake with 100% awareness of rear-end tenedency to go out because of the weightshift.

What you guys are talking about in terms of the clutch is never going to be affordable. There are some pedals out that cost $500-$1200 for the PC sim world. Also there are FF shifters but once again they are about $300+.

My point is this, While the G25 clutch and shifter are not the most realistic they are the most practical and affordable. $300 wheel with good pedals and a shifter is all you need for console sim (and most if not all PC sims).

I think the biggest problem is you cant tinker with the pedals or wheel in the games. So you cant set dead zones or have your car clutch later or sooner.

Below are just a few high end pedals. I will post the shifter later.
http://www.frex.com/gp/hydro/index.html
http://www.cannonsimulationtechnologies.com/

Still can't see the point of these basic ones as it's nothing like a real clutch and gear system. All you're doing is pushing a switch with your foot :-)

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they're wrong ;-)

I agree partially. The 550 and 575 slide under braking because they are "weighty". Without assists - and there is no other way of course - you just have to brake with 100% awareness of rear-end tenedency to go out because of the weightshift.

yes, but isn't it partly when the weight of the engine is behind that the back-end tends to be hard to control?

I adore them, but nobody wants to drive them online. Cowards

I have driven a few online races with them. BTW Amar, you didn't respond to my PSN friends request yet. :grumpy:

yes, but isn't it partly when the weight of the engine is behind that the back-end tends to be hard to control?

In comparison to say a Ford GT, how tail happy are they?

Biggles
BTW Amar, you didn't respond to my PSN friends request yet. :grumpy:

Your not part of his cool club, thats why:sly:

Still can't see the point of these basic ones as it's nothing like a real clutch and gear system. All you're doing is pushing a switch with your foot :-)

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they're wrong ;-)

Honestly if you are going to say that then what is the point of using a wheel in a video game? What is the point of playing a video game when you could just to drive a real car?

Yes you are pushing down on a "button" with your foot, But I think that it's the act of doing it is what people enjoy. No simulator no matter how good is going to simulate everything a real car can do.

But using a clutch even if its just a "botton" allows us to immers ourselves a little bit deeper into the game. And thats what a video game is all about. Video games like everything takes a little bit of imagination, When you are going around the track in a video game do you pretend that you are a real race car driver and get lost in it? Or do you !00% of the time know that you are playing a stupide video game at witch point you turn the game off because you are not having any fun.

All in all its about immersion, And how much you are willing to pay for that experiance. When I play racing games and I use the clutch the act of taking my foot off the gas, pushing in the clutch, and moving to the next gear is fun, And it makes me feel more involved in the game. Its the same when I play flight simulators on my PC and Im using a flight stick and rudder peddles, It feels nothing like a real aircraft but with a little imagination I can get over that fact and enjoy it.

To be honest I dont know how you play racing games at all. I mean if you use a game pad I cant see the point of not using a wheel, And if you use a wheel with no clutch I cant see the point of that either because all you are doing is pushing down on two buttons for gas and break and pushing two more to switch gears. At least with the six speed you're physically moving somthing. To each their own, But I do think you are kind of talking out of your six a little bit.

In comparison to say a Ford GT, how tail happy are they?

You're talking about in GT5P, rather than IRL?

I don't think any of the cars are really tail-happy in FC, although if you apply full-throttle without having the cars in line they will step out. The difference between GT5P & FC is hard to explain - you would have to try both to really understand it. Neither game comes close to the sensitivity of some of the cars in Enthusia Professional Racing however.

Polyphony Digital takes one step at a time. They don't rush things. That's why there are delays in everything they do. They want it to be perfect. Ferrari Challenge took everything at once and the actually got it into a decent racing sim. But I would much rather choose an hour of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue than an hour of Ferrari Challenge. Ferrari challenge is so repetitive. Every race is the same. In Gran Turismo there are some tweaks to the races which makes them interesting.

Neither game comes close to the sensitivity of some of the cars in Enthusia Professional Racing however.

EPR is not a game, it's just a sim. You can have the most awesome drive in the mountains but when you want to see the replay it looks like crap. I don't like the level system either.

never played FC but i have played ARCA SIM racing,GTR2,RACE07,RFACTOR all for PC...x5000/2gb/8800GT system@1680x1050....

ive currently been devoting some time to GT5P.IMO GT5P is much more diverse visually and very stunning then the mentioned PC games,the ONLINE portion is very glitchy and in of need server admins and HIGHER PENALTY for reckless driving,incident per lap rating etc,etc....if you came to an arca server driving like an IDIOT best belive you'll be kicked...possibly CD_KEY banned...👍

LOVE GTP5(submitting time trial laps online)BUT THE ONLINE RACING STINKS!!!

back to match racing 750pp suzuka....LOL....

We all know that Polyphony Digital has been working on the GT series for over 10 years and besides Motor Toon Grand Prix, there hasn't been anything else on their resume.
After some digging here's what Eutechynx (the developer of Ferrari Challenge) has done so far:

Company Data

Web Site Address: www.eutechnyx.com/

Developed and Published Games

PlayStation Car & Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98 09/30/97
PlayStation Motor Mash November 1997

PlayStation Total Drivin' 04/23/98

PlayStation Max Power Racing January 1999

PC Test Drive Le Mans 03/31/00
PlayStation Test Drive Le Mans 08/25/00
PlayStation 007 Racing 12/15/00

PlayStation F1 World Grand Prix 2000 2001

PlayStation 2 Big Mutha Truckers 12/06/02
Xbox Big Mutha Truckers 12/06/02

PC Big Mutha Truckers 05/02/03
GameCube Big Mutha Truckers 09/05/03

GameCube Street Racing Syndicate 08/31/04
PlayStation 2 Street Racing Syndicate 08/31/04
Xbox Street Racing Syndicate 08/31/04

PC Street Racing Syndicate 01/18/05
PlayStation 2 Ford Mustang: The Legend Lives 04/19/05
Xbox Ford Mustang: The Legend Lives 04/20/05
Xbox Big Mutha Truckers 2 08/23/05
PlayStation 2 Big Mutha Truckers 2 08/23/05
PC Big Mutha Truckers 2 08/26/05

PlayStation 2 Hummer Badlands 04/13/06
Xbox Hummer Badlands 04/14/06
PlayStation 2 The Fast and the Furious 09/26/06
PlayStation 2 Pimp My Ride 11/21/06
PlayStation 2 Cartoon Network Racing 12/04/06
Xbox 360 Pimp My Ride 12/06/06

PSP Pimp My Ride 04/03/07
PSP The Fast and the Furious 04/24/07
Wii Hot Wheels: Beat That 09/30/07
DS Hot Wheels: Beat That 11/06/07
PC Hot Wheels: Beat That 11/16/07
PSP Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 11/23/07
Xbox 360 Hot Wheels: Beat That! 12/07/07

Wii Pimp My Ride 02/19/08
PlayStation 3 Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 07/04/08
Wii Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 09/12/08
PlayStation 2 Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 09/12/08

Playstation 3 Super Car Challenge TBA Q1 2009

Although I don't doubt anyone's ability to rise to the occasion, but to think that on its first attempt at serious sim based racer, it will eclipse the effort a company like PD or simbin is quite outrageous.
I tried FC again over the weekend- yes the patch got rid most of the deadzone. At medium FFB setting, the driving is quite enjoyable. I set the ASM and TCS at 3 each and ABS at 4 and although I tried turning them off but it will take me some time to be able to do that completely (took me almost 1 month of daily use to get rid of driving aids in Prologue). Where in Prologue you get a remarkable sense of weight and the feel of the road, tires and the suspension, in FC while you do get some weightiness but mostly due to the powerful FFB returning the wheel to the centre. You do feel a bit of the suspension but very little sense of the pavement nor the tires. The steering is still vague and ambigious next to the one in Prologue.
The races themselves were quite enjoyable although the AI as always are never aware of your presence. Never did notice this before but the sky in FC actually moves. The cloud and the sky are not the static kind you find in most racing games. And I began to notice that some tracks aren't all that bad looking- Paul Ricard, Homestead, Hockenheim and Virginia are quite stunning (not Prologue stunning but oh so much better that Forza 2). They're even more remarkable in the rain.

We all know that Polyphony Digital has been working on the GT series for over 10 years and besides Motor Toon Grand Prix, there hasn't been anything else on their resume.
After some digging here's what Eutechynx (the developer of Ferrari Challenge) has done so far:

Company Data

PlayStation Car & Driver Presents: Grand Tour Racing '98 09/30/97
PlayStation Motor Mash November 1997

PlayStation Total Drivin' 04/23/98

PlayStation Max Power Racing January 1999

PC Test Drive Le Mans 03/31/00
PlayStation Test Drive Le Mans 08/25/00
PlayStation 007 Racing 12/15/00

PlayStation F1 World Grand Prix 2000 2001

PlayStation 2 Big Mutha Truckers 12/06/02
Xbox Big Mutha Truckers 12/06/02

PC Big Mutha Truckers 05/02/03
GameCube Big Mutha Truckers 09/05/03

GameCube Street Racing Syndicate 08/31/04
PlayStation 2 Street Racing Syndicate 08/31/04
Xbox Street Racing Syndicate 08/31/04

PC Street Racing Syndicate 01/18/05
PlayStation 2 Ford Mustang: The Legend Lives 04/19/05
Xbox Ford Mustang: The Legend Lives 04/20/05
Xbox Big Mutha Truckers 2 08/23/05
PlayStation 2 Big Mutha Truckers 2 08/23/05
PC Big Mutha Truckers 2 08/26/05

PlayStation 2 Hummer Badlands 04/13/06
Xbox Hummer Badlands 04/14/06
PlayStation 2 The Fast and the Furious 09/26/06
PlayStation 2 Pimp My Ride 11/21/06
PlayStation 2 Cartoon Network Racing 12/04/06
Xbox 360 Pimp My Ride 12/06/06

Wii Pimp My Ride 02/19/08
PlayStation 3 Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 07/04/08
Wii Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 09/12/08
PlayStation 2 Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli 09/12/08

Playstation 3 Super Car Challenge TBA Q1 2009

Although I don't doubt anyone's ability to rise to the occasion, but to think that on its first attempt at serious sim based racer, it will eclipse the effort a company like PD or simbin is quite outrageous.
I tried FC again over the weekend- yes the patch got rid most of the deadzone. At medium FFB setting, the driving is quite enjoyable. I set the ASM and TCS at 3 each and ABS at 4 and although I tried turning them off but it will take me some time to be able to do that completely (took me almost 1 month of daily use to get rid of driving aids in Prologue). Where in Prologue you get a remarkable sense of weight and the feel of the road, tires and the suspension, in FC while you do get some weightiness but mostly due to the powerful FFB returning the wheel to the centre. You do feel a bit of the suspension but very little sense of the pavement nor the tires. The steering is still vague and ambigious next to the one in Prologue.
The races themselves were quite enjoyable although the AI as always are never aware of your presence. Never did notice this before but the sky in FC actually moves. The cloud and the sky are not the static kind you find in most racing games. And I began to notice that some tracks aren't all that bad looking- Paul Ricard, Homestead, Hockenheim and Virginia are quite stunning (not Prologue stunning but oh so much better that Forza 2). They're even more remarkable in the rain.

Big mutha Truckers and Pimp my ride = Instantly Hilarious :lol:

Where in Prologue you get a remarkable sense of weight and the feel of the road, tires and the suspension, in FC while you do get some weightiness but mostly due to the powerful FFB returning the wheel to the centre. You do feel a bit of the suspension but very little sense of the pavement nor the tires. The steering is still vague and ambigious next to the one in Prologue.

I've got to say I think exactly the opposite - the physics in GT5P are very precise & detailed but lacking in weight & feel & no sense of the pavement or tires compared to FC.

I will say that every time I've started a new driving game it's taken a while to get used to the different feel of it. I would encourage you to take more time with the game, switch off the aids & push the cars hard. I think you will begin to understand why there are some of us who really like the feel of this game. I think it's likely that the new game will be a significant improvement over FC - it certainly looks like they have done away with the odd, cartoon look of the graphics & replaced it with a more straightforward (very high quality) PC sim look.

Company Data

Where can i find a copy of this!? i would love FC for PSP!! I didnt know it existed!

Yesterday I had the chance to participate in a GT5p Mazda RX7 race with full grids of GTP drivers - and I did. While doing that I just couldnt stop myself from thinking: I really want to have another go with the FC 512M at Spa. After one hour I just couldnt stop myself, eventhough the RX7 racing was a lot of fun, I wanted to play the FC. For me there is a terrible lag in the online mode but the feeling of the car is great and this just makes it a great racing game. At the moment I totally prefer the FC.

Last edited:
Comparing a full game to a prologue isn't exactly fair. We all know that the full release game of GT5 will have a ton of cars and tracks compared to most other racers out there. It's called prologue for a reason, that reason being it is more or less a demo of the full game, a taste of whats to come from PD.

Have they fixed the steering support in FC yet?

I got the game when it first came out and reallly liked if for the most part, but I still thought the way the steering was implimented spolied the game (even with the patch) - too big a dead zone coupled with overstrong FF made small steering corrections very difficult. At the lower FF levels the deadzone became increasingly bigger... you could almost swing the wheel from side to side without affecting the direction of the wheels (I'm exagerating but that's what it felt like to me).

I know there were more patches due, but I haven't kept abreast of the latest news on the game.

There was at least a second patch, don't know when you stopped playing the game. Try it out. The deadzone still exists in PAL territories (NTSC got a 3rd patch we didn't get yet) but I think it isn't now the issue it was back when the game was released.

I definitely have the 1st patch, not sure about the 2nd... but then again, not really interested in playing until the deadzone issue is properly fixed... completely ruined my enjoyment of the game with the wheel.

Though I would say this is still a good game for pad users.

There was at least a second patch, don't know when you stopped playing the game. Try it out. The deadzone still exists in PAL territories (NTSC got a 3rd patch we didn't get yet) but I think it isn't now the issue it was back when the game was released.

I can tell you that the NTSC patch is a big improvement on the G25 but it does not completely eliminate the dead zone.

I can tell you that the NTSC patch is a big improvement on the G25 but it does not completely eliminate the dead zone.

Lat time I tried was a month ago,think it got latest patch (NTSC) I use a DFGT but for some reason the steering issues seemed almost as bad I noticed slight improvement. But the steering & sound of the cars are a deal breaker for me.:ouch:

Comparing a full game to a prologue isn't exactly fair. We all know that the full release game of GT5 will have a ton of cars and tracks compared to most other racers out there. It's called prologue for a reason, that reason being it is more or less a demo of the full game, a taste of whats to come from PD.

Do we really need to hear the "GT5P-is-only-a-demo" argument one more time (especially in BIG BLUE LETTERS)! :rolleyes:

GT5P sold millions of copies, GT5 will sell millions of copies. PD really doesn't need any moral support from anyone here! The point of this thread is not to dump on GT5P - it's to prod fellow GTPers to take a look at FC, which in spite of its shortcomings, is a really worthwhile game. The point is, it's available NOW, unlike GT5.

the feeling of the car is great and this just makes it a great racing game. At the moment I totally prefer the FC.

This is what some of us have been saying all along - driving in FC is a more physical experience than GT5P - totally addictive! Glad to have you on board Marchbrown. 👍
BTW: anyone who hasn't tried, should give the Modena 360 a try: amazing sound & much trickier, slippery tires. 👍👍👍

Lat time I tried was a month ago,think it got latest patch (NTSC) I use a DFGT but for some reason the steering issues seemed almost as bad I noticed slight improvement. But the steering & sound of the cars are a deal breaker for me.:ouch:

The patch went live on Nov 18th. But there was only one patch released for North America so if you downloaded 'a' patch you've got it. Supposedly the FFB was completely rewritten so if you're not happy with it as is, it's unlikely to change.

Do we really need to hear the "GT5P-is-only-a-demo" argument one more time (especially in BIG BLUE LETTERS)! :rolleyes:

GT5P sold millions of copies, GT5 will sell millions of copies. PD really doesn't need any moral support from anyone here! The point of this thread is not to dump on GT5P - it's to prod fellow GTPers to take a look at FC, which in spite of its shortcomings, is a really worthwhile game. The point is, it's available NOW, unlike GT5.

This is what some of us have been saying all along - driving in FC is a more physical experience than GT5P - totally addictive! Glad to have you on board Marchbrown. 👍
BTW: anyone who hasn't tried, should give the Modena 360 a try: amazing sound & much trickier, slippery tires. 👍👍👍

I bought Ferrari Challenge when it was first released ( in aug 08 I think ). I have to say, I agree with Biggles on everything he has said in this thread. I got a little bored with GT5P last summer and didn't play it much. Ferrari Challenge is a very good game. Visuals are not up to the standard of GT5P, but get beyond that, and it is a lot of fun. AND, if you think the sound of the cars in GT5P isn't what it should be, you gotta hear the sound in FC! I only hope the full GT5 will have the spine tingling sound that FC has. I'm still playing GT5P, and I'm not saying FC is better. But it is definitely worth a test drive if you want a change from GT5P. With 5.1 surround sound, the scream of a V12 right behind your seat ( when driving in cockpit ) is worth the price of the game.
------------
P.S. I use a DF-GT wheel, and the patch for NTSC has made the center dead zone almost undetectable, you have to really look for it to notice it.

Back