1080i looks awful on my Samsung 46" LCD

What could the problem be?

It looks terrible, like the TV is a bad 720p trying to convert the 1080p signal. Almost like it's skipping every other dot. What gives?

What could the problem be?

It looks terrible, like the TV is a bad 720p trying to convert the 1080p signal. Almost like it's skipping every other dot. What gives?

Do you know what the refresh rate is on your TV? Is it 60, 100 or maybe 120 Hz? If it's down at the 60 range some fast motion on the screen would look like it is skipping.

I have the same thing with my (pretty cheap, but anyway) 24" LCD. 720p looks much better than 1080i. The picture is much crisper and clearer with 720p. I think that the electronics that actually generates the picture doesn't neccessarily like the interlaced format along with the high resolution.

The actual physical resolution of my panel is 1366x768 by the way. If yours is similar or even the same, it would be kind of natural that 1080i is rather worse than better.

I have the same thing with my (pretty cheap, but anyway) 24" LCD. 720p looks much better than 1080i. The picture is much crisper and clearer with 720p. I think that the electronics that actually generates the picture doesn't neccessarily like the interlaced format along with the high resolution.

The actual physical resolution of my panel is 1366x768 by the way. If yours is similar or even the same, it would be kind of natural that 1080i is rather worse than better.

With that resolution, you should stick to 720p anyway.

Well, in the world of computers, a downscaled high-resolution image will highly likely look better than an upscaled lower resolution image. On that basis, a 1080i picture should look better than 720p on a 768 line screen. Still, not every electronics can up- and downscale properly, and mine has proven that it works much better with 720p. With other tv's, this might be different though,

Well, in the world of computers, a downscaled high-resolution image will highly likely look better than an upscaled lower resolution image. On that basis, a 1080i picture should look better than 720p on a 768 line screen. Still, not every electronics can up- and downscale properly, and mine has proven that it works much better with 720p. With other tv's, this might be different though,
Yep. With the older 1366x768 displays we have in the household running at 720p makes writing ever so slightly more fuzzy, but other than that there's no noticable difference. So I tend to stick with 1080i anyway.

Isn't there something where some HDTVs can support 1080 but it isn't actually their 'native' resolution and thus doesn't look right?

What has any of this got to do with GT4? GT4 aint designed for HD so of course it will look crappy on it. If it isn't GT4 you are worried about then this thread should be moved to the appropriate place.

My NTSC version of gt4 is 1080i capable and looks great on my 52" dlp
this tv is 1920 X 1080 at a refresh rate of 60 capable
which of coarse I set the game option at 1080i to race with
I don't know why there should be any problem

What has any of this got to do with GT4? GT4 aint designed for HD so of course it will look crappy on it. If it isn't GT4 you are worried about then this thread should be moved to the appropriate place.
Dang, I totally missed that we might be talking about GT4, which had a 1080i mode. It doesn't really look good on many TVs though, mine does much better with the 480p option.

My dad's been very anal about what good TV's are what what's not, and He keeps saying i's are bad and P is better.. 1080p to be exact. To be honest, Tube screens give a clear image, and Large LCD's don't. To make it more clear, you'll need component or HDMI cables, THEN it'll be better than tube screens.

I have a 37" Daytek LCD HDTV and a recently bought LG 42" LCD HDTV. The sad part is that neither TV has any secondary players (VCR's, DVD's , etc) that support HDMI, not even the AV reciever.

My NTSC version of gt4 is 1080i capable and looks great on my 52" dlp
this tv is 1920 X 1080 at a refresh rate of 60 capable
which of coarse I set the game option at 1080i to race with
I don't know why there should be any problem

For some reason it just looks terrible...

It runs the colors at a low bitrate, so there isn't a good transitions between colors...

And there are black lines between every horizontal line. It just looks awful.

I've played Forza Motorsports 2 w/an HDMI cable, and that looks PHENOMENAL. I think my TV just doesn't do 1080i well.

I've played Forza Motorsports 2 w/an HDMI cable, and that looks PHENOMENAL. I think my TV just doesn't do 1080i well.

I don't know about any xbox games and/or settings and if your using a hdmi cable it could be that, as the ps2 can only do 1080i which may only require a component cable. I use a MadCatz multi (console) component cable. I have only the ps2 hooked up to it.

im using an older sony 42" plasma hdtv with the ps2. picture is ok in std mode using the tv to stretch the image. i then noticed the ps2 has setting for 1080 but the screen goes blank when i switch.

im have the std usb to yellow, blue, red connector. is there another one that uses hi def connectors?

thanks

Well, if the previous set was, say, a 14" CRT and the new one is even a 32" LCD it's pretty safe to say that there is a drastic improvement. There was when I upgraded from 21" CRT to the 32" LCD. The actual graphics may not change but better hardware displays them a lot better.

Well in terms of if they are trying to make it look as close to say GT5. Either way there will be jaggies on a 21" CRT and a 32" LCD.

The only thing that might really change it some what is if you had a PS3 but still it's gonna stay GT4 no matter what.

This seems to be a common problem. My LCD is a 105 cm HD LCD with an HDMI cable hooked to my PS3 . My PS3 is updated up to the latest updates available thru it's wireless connection.
The signal is obtained by the TV thru the HDMI selection on the signal menu but still yet I have weird colorful "rainbows" at the corners, especially the upper left.
Cars appeasr fuzzy every now and then and the barriers and spectator stands seem to "shiver".
I checked out each and every setting on the TV and PS3 and the game options but still got the problem there.
I read a thread here, which stated that GT4 actually had HD capability. If so, what could be the problem ???

Do you get "rainbows" watching other things on your TV? Try the 480p mode. Whether or not 1080i offers any improvement over 480p depends on the TV and the viewer.

The GT4 "fuzzy shimmer" is a bug. It comes and goes.

Do you get "rainbows" watching other things on your TV? Try the 480p mode. Whether or not 1080i offers any improvement over 480p depends on the TV and the viewer.

The GT4 "fuzzy shimmer" is a bug. It comes and goes.

No with nothing else at all. For example I was given a crappy game for free when I bought the PS3 (NFS Carbon) nothing of the sort happens on that one or GT3 or GT4 Prologue or else. GT4 only...

I watched the GT5 (or GT HD) on a demo at a SONY Store. I still am wiping my drool after 6 odd hours :lol:

Back