• Thread starter HoltNFrew
  • 125 comments
Thanks man. Managed to get GOLD on Nurburgring yesterday evening using your tips. I already got Monza, so I'm now aiming for Suzuka.

That will bring me well on my way to finally take the platinum trophy for GT5, yeah! :)

Hey Guys, here is my story HOW to GOLD that Sick Vettel Challenge...
-
But, first of all, I'll like to be very thankful to another member of that Forum; Rivers, who offered me the opportunity to record these videos in HD... If it was not from him, I'ld would have not post that thread. He did it to help the forum, I opened that thread to help that forum cause of his help! Thanks Rivers...

Ok, well for all my life I've played video games with default controller, I golded everything in ALL 6 Gran Turismo so far with the default Controller... But now, with that Vettel Challenge, I Hitted a Wall...I've read Forum, looked at Youtube, Google, and tried to find a way to GOLD the unreal Vettel Challenge. Trust me guys, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to do it with a DS3, you can try all your life, you'll die with maybe a bronze... And i consider myself as a top player with a DS3.

When I saw that Challenge, I was not happy, not because it is really tough, but because I play GT for the simulation part, and all these OFFICIAL CARS from yesterday to now. I don't want an unreal impossible dream car in that game... But obv, I have to live with it, that means to Gold it too...

No way i'm gonna spend 200$ for a wheel for 3 challenges... well, what i did was simple, I went to future shop, bought a Driving Force GT, cleared that challenge, and return it for a refund, so it is like a free 4 days rental hahahaha.

So I never played with a wheel in the past, I decided to start with Monza... why? It is the easiest yes, but it is where I'm gonna learn to use a wheel, and to learn how the car reacts with a wheel....

How to;

For all these challenges, My Settings were;
Automatic,
Skid On,
ABS 10,
everything else off...
OBV Driving Line ON....
I Always play with 3rd person view, cause I love to see the car and around it...
And you have to listen and know where you are in the transmission cause with the Automatic, I'll refer a lot to the gears needed for turns...
And the ghost always starts around 1 second in front of you, and he is a bit slower than the gold time, so the idea is to finish the 2 laps as close as possible from him to get gold.

Monza...

Well, as you'll see, I shortcutted the chicanes, we are not DQ if we do it, so I did it that's it.

So you come out from the pit full throttle obv.... for the first lap, and the first chicane, you brake at the 50 meters marker on the left...high 1st gear or low 2nd.... as soon you start to turn left FullThrottle... till the second chicane,
You brake once you passed the 100 meters marker on the left... You can deal that chicane with high 2nd or low 3rd gear...

And I usually passed the Ghost right after the second Chicane so that's why I will not add reference time for that track, you should be able to manage easily to pass or to be directly on the ghost after the second chicane of the first lap...

Full throttle till the first right turn, as you can see on the video, I keep the gas at the floor, and just hit a bit the brake at the beginning of the sand, or with the driving line, hit the brake right after the red part... for the second right, second marker on the left, hit the brake just a bit harder than the last turn... full throttle....

S-Turn, Hit the brake right after the red part of the driving line down to the 4th gear (you are better to release gas for that braking part)....then full throttle to manage the rest of that S-Turn... then the last right before the finish, you hit the break right after the red part of the driving line, down to 4th gear and full throttle....

For the second lap repeat, BUT but for the first chicane, you had to brake to the 50 meters marker on the first lap, for the second lap you brake at the 150 meters marker.... if you manage first lap below 1:04, easy gold...

Once I Golded Monza, I managed to gold Suzuka 2nd... why? the hardest for many, and Nurburgring should be easy once I golded Suzuka sick track at 400 kmh....

Suzuka...

Fullthrottle till the first right turn, you brake at the end of the red part of the driving lane..down to 3rd gear, full throttle... for the S-turn, I managed the first left right full throttle, for the second left right, look at the video, i'm full throttle, but i just hitted the brake a bit to slow down the car... full throttle all way that long left turn... now you reached what was for me the hardest part of that track...the first right, can be easily managed full throttle no brake... the problem, well my problem, was to manage to place the car in the right line for the sharp right just after, at 400+ kmh... it sucks... cause the track is really narrow, and if you go out, DQ...
Once you manage to get a good line after the first full throttle right turn, hit the brake for a 2nd gear sharp right... full throttle... 1st reference time; 28.2 or less

you reach the hairpin, easy to manage, once you pass the right turn hit the brake till you see smoke from the tires, then full throttle... you shouldbe around a high 1st low 2nd gears....full throttle for the long right... then you reach a left, left turn... the first one, hit the brake down to the 4th gear, as soon a you are in 4th, full thottle for a second, then hit the brake down to the 2nd, as soon you are in 2nd, full throttle till the chicane...
2nd reference time..52.5 or less...

for the chicane, there is no reference I used for when to brake...I braked around halfway of the red part of the driving line, just before the bridge...
You can try to shorcut a bit the chicane, but you'll be airborne a couple of time... still doable as you can see on the video...
As soon you start to enter the left turn of the chicane, full throttle till the finish line...
My First lap was very slow on the video, but my second was near to be perfect... for Reference, 1st lap below 1:05.3 is better...

For the second lap, repeat, but for the first right turn, since you reach it at a higher speed than the first lap, brake just before the end of the red part of the driving line...

I Finished With Nurburgring, easy once you Golded Suzuka, even if you don't know much the track...

Nurburgring...

As you will see in the video, i used all the track, since you are not DQ in the first section if you don't stay in the driving line, why not take it to my profit!

Full throttle, for the first hairpin, brake at he last "50 meters" marker on the left, forget to try to read these markers, that'S the last on the left :P

then full throttle for the wide left turn, then you reach a sharper left, just brake at the end of the red of the driving line, down to 2nd gear... then full throttle for the right turn... it doesn't matter if you go out of the track, BUT, if you go on any grass you are DQ...
you reach a left lap, as you will see on the video, again I kept my foot on the gas, but hitted the brake till the 4th gear...for that turn, break after the red of the driving line... then full throttle till the sharp right, as you can see, I took it a bit soon and slow... but you brake till 2nd gear...then full throttle till the wide Hairpin... Hit the brake after the red of the driving line, down to 2nd gear, hold the throttle then full throttle... I never noticed the 1st reference time cause it is right after and before a turn, so there is the 2nd reference time... below 34 secs

then full throttle for the wide left-right.... now you reach the hardest part of the track, the first left is not that bad, brake late till the low 4th or high 3rd gear, you can go wider than the track but you'll have problem for the right turn, this is where you can get a .5 sec edge on the turn... so after the left turn, follow the driving line, and try to take the right turn as fast as you can, around a high 4th gear....full throttle till the chicane... 3rd reference time... Low 49 sec..
For the chicane, there are 3 markers on the right, brake at the second, you should be fine... once you are in the chicane just full throttle... then the last right before the finish line...brake down to 2nd gear then full throttle...first lap should be low 1.04, but as you can see, it is easy to go below 1.04...

for the second lap repeat BUT for the first right hairpin, since you are full speed, there are 3 markers on the left, now you brake at the second one....

So that's how I managed these challenges, then I returned the wheel for a refund to Futureshop... hahaha

And guys, don't be rude, English is not my native Language so sorry about it, but I hope that thread will help you...

And thanks again to Rivers to have converted these videos in HD...

Great post. Thanks for the effort ! But i' ve done all the 3 challenges with controller DS3 ! It is not impossible and it took me 3 hours per challenge ! For those who don' t have wheel...don' t worry ! It can be done with controler, just keep practicing !

They are possible with the DS3, i would know because on my 2nd main offline account i golded them with the DS3. Now yes you do have to keep trying and practicing. Also. There is many little tricks around the tracks like staying close tothe sides of the track and accelerating at the end of each one (corners mostly) the kicker is that all of it has to be done correctly and on time. One screw up and you can forget it. AND also i golded not even by seconds but by (.seconds)

Lol

Yeah it was crazy. I might do another account and replay it all.

NOW YES with a wheel it is faster to gold them.

Yesterday, I decided to re-pass the 3 time trials. (yeah, you can call me a masochist... :P)
Compared to my attempts in 2013, I found them much easier, mostly because I'm older now and my skills are improved.

So, after almost 4 hours of trying, plus some breaks of course, my times are:

Nurburgring --- 2:07.6xx without track limit abuse
Monza --- 2:01.8xx - I cut the chicanes for this attempt, so I tried once again without cutting and did a 2:03.4xx
Suzuka --- 2:09.4xx

All lap times done with the DS3. 👍

------------------------------------

2020 edit
So, after my original HDD decided to fade out right before last year's Christmas, I bought a new SSD but guess what: I lost all photos and replays, except the actual saved data which I kept backup from.

As a result, when February or April kicked off I decided to pass the 3 time trials... again. I golded all of them in slightly over an hour, with the DS3.

The relative muscle memory is not gone as it seemed. I guess it's not so brutal anymore... :dunce: :sly:

Last edited:
Back