1886 Motor Carriage around the 'ring! (in about 2 days)

• Thread starter James2097
  • 622 comments
Laguna Seca :scared:

Good lord... I have to say, that has got to be impossible. That hill is monstrous. Hiking it on foot was bad enough. Getting that damn thing to swing back and forth up it is one nightmare that I will certainly avoid.

I thought about trying it myself.... but before I even entered arcade mode I said, "What the 🤬 am i thinking?!"

Gooooood luck. And god... I mean snailspeed. :lol:

_kamikazefly_
boggly little headlights staring at you innocently....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: .

now attempting nurburgring in a dihatsu midget II, without my sanity cap!!!

I did the ring in the old 3 wheeled midget, what I found funny was the tire wear indicator on the lower left of the screen shows wear for all 4 tires (as usual), despite the mighty midget having only 3 tires. :confused: If its any consulation, it showed both tront tires as having equal wear. 👍

well i tried it again after some testing. This is in arcade, time trial, s3 tires, 20% hp boost, 10% weight drop.

I found i was incorrect aboce when i said to have ASM and TCS on. ASM really hurts your times. TCS does not seem to have a big differance. I ran it again with TCS only and got a total time of:

272'53.705 👍

I think that puts me in the lead.

Here are my notes as i ran the course: excuse the typos, i hope you understand my comments.

new run...
only tcs
T1 2'19.6 @33
5'58.5 when backed up left wheel hiting botom of P in "power"
15'47.6 when fully backed up; back right tire just above start of red graphiti
over 1st hill 22'26.1
T2 25'54.114 @ 48mph
T3 30'32.429 @ 19mph (i got stuck on hill before t3, 2 swings needed to get going again)
T4 32'51.611 @ 36mph (braked heavy at left before t4. down to 29 mph, next time brake slightly less)
over hill 44'19
next hill by 53'50 (on second part back up to inside of ring, before inside gaurd rail)
T5 54'32.075 @ 4mph
71'50 12km sign with log building across stream
before first left turn switch to backing up to the inside of ring
100'12 fully by metal wire fence on left
109'50 just to staat of second left curbing
124'30 by little telephonebooth thingi at third left
t6 126'02.663 @ 2mph
tack back/forth from before t6, till just past small wire metal fence on right and shawdows in road on left. back up to inside of ring
144'53 over long hill
hill up to carousel back up to outside of ring after a few pendulums, switch to tacking, used that metod to get up entire hill
151'13.4 enter carousel
use top of carousel when up at 11mph, freewheel out, leaving carousel at 14 mph.
164'17 fully by start of red/white curbing on first left turn
172'40 fully by wood shack on left at gentle left curve
190'36 into white graphiti at steep left hander
just before red/white curbing on steep rigth hand switch to backing to outside of ring
236'24 over long and steep, 3 tacks at very top
T7 236'53.382 @13mph
free wheel, no brakes. Next short hill: tricky, back to outside, use as much room as possible
242'34 over short hill
T8 242'44.420 @11mph free wheel just at T8
243'48 have to hit gas for a bit when slowing below 11mph up hill, then free wheel again
T9 244'39.914 @21mph
250'00 little hill before banked left, back to inside of ring about 10 times,TO STEEP TO TACK!
free wheel for bit, gas through banked turn, then free wheel again
small hill before last right befor straight, tried tacking in begining, just at the limit; seems more efficent to pendulum
getting aroung 5-6mph max with pend and long runouts, pulled up second part of hill at constant 4mph
256'18 over hill, free wheel
T10 257'31.936 @21mph
T11 263'06.884 @11mph
that hill was tricky this time, failed tacking, could not pick a side to back up to; lost at least 2 minutes
272'53.705 DONE!

HAVE FUN! :D

thegreatms
well i tried it again after some testing. This is in arcade, time trial, s3 tires, 20% hp boost, 10% weight drop.

I found i was incorrect aboce when i said to have ASM and TCS on. ASM really hurts your times. TCS does not seem to have a big differance. I ran it again with TCS only and got a total time of:

272'53.705 👍

Here are my notes as i ran the course: excuse the typos, i hope you understand my comments.

new run...
only tcs
T1 2'19.6 @33
5'58.5 when backed up left wheel hiting botom of P in "power"
15'47.6 when fully backed up; back right tire just above start of red graphiti
over 1st hill 22'26.1
T2 25'54.114 @ 48mph
T3 30'32.429 @ 19mph (i got stuck on hill before t3, 2 swings needed to get going again)
T4 32'51.611 @ 36mph (braked heavy at left before t4. down to 29 mph, next time brake slightly less)
over hill 44'19
next hill by 53'50 (on second part back up to inside of ring, before inside gaurd rail)
T5 54'32.075 @ 4mph
71'50 12km sign with log building across stream
before first left turn switch to backing up to the inside of ring
100'12 fully by metal wire fence on left
109'50 just to staat of second left curbing
124'30 by little telephonebooth thingi at third left
t6 126'02.663 @ 2mph
tack back/forth from before t6, till just past small wire metal fence on right and shawdows in road on left. back up to inside of ring
144'53 over long hill
hill up to carousel back up to outside of ring after a few pendulums, switch to tacking, used that metod to get up entire hill
151'13.4 enter carousel
use top of carousel when up at 11mph, freewheel out, leaving carousel at 14 mph.
164'17 fully by start of red/white curbing on first left turn
172'40 fully by wood shack on left at gentle left curve
190'36 into white graphiti at steep left hander
just before red/white curbing on steep rigth hand switch to backing to outside of ring
236'24 over long and steep, 3 tacks at very top
T7 236'53.382 @13mph
free wheel, no brakes. Next short hill: tricky, back to outside, use as much room as possible
242'34 over short hill
T8 242'44.420 @11mph free wheel just at T8
243'48 have to hit gas for a bit when slowing below 11mph up hill, then free wheel again
T9 244'39.914 @21mph
250'00 little hill before banked left, back to inside of ring about 10 times,TO STEEP TO TACK!
free wheel for bit, gas through banked turn, then free wheel again
small hill before last right befor straight, tried tacking in begining, just at the limit; seems more efficent to pendulum
getting aroung 5-6mph max with pend and long runouts, pulled up second part of hill at constant 4mph
256'18 over hill, free wheel
T10 257'31.936 @21mph
T11 263'06.884 @11mph
that hill was tricky this time, failed tacking, could not pick a side to back up to; lost at least 2 minutes
272'53.705 DONE!

HAVE FUN! :D

sorry mate i cant find a little smily that has a saluting sign. but i salute you, you actually recorded you time, excellent stuff!

just wondering
if you even take the ''cart'' around for a spin in bspec.. shouldnt that atleast upgrade your bspec specs? .... kinda true if your in a 1 HP car :P Real nerve and skill to fight lol

Its so cool at this point in the thread for thegreatms to be able to refer to 'tacking', 'penduluming', 'freewheeling', etc and we all know what those mean. Its awesome for us to have invented certain techniques that are new to a GT game where we have to make up names to describe them... It really gives a big sense of satisfaction that everyone 'gets' and has gotten so involved in beating my initial run by such amazing margins. I really feel more part of the GTPlanet community now, I really salute everyone that has put time into the 'ring in this unique way.

Just how fast can the lap get, when for instance, thegreatms is actually worried about losing 'just' 2 minutes when being indecisive about how to attack the hill near the end? LOL an amazing effort. I didn't congratulate thegreatms properly before so here's ten thumbs up, obviously because one wouldn't adequately express the magnitude of my respect. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Just to clarify the best setting so far: arcade mode (unless you want to prove its possible in GT mode and enjoy calling us all nancy boys...), TCS on, ASM off, 20% of a horse more, 10% (max) weight reduction, S3 wheels. Keep beating that record! Its now down to 272'53.705 :scared:

ok ive read enough its time i try to do this i bet im gonna fail and give up (i give up on some races if i go in the gravel on the first turn out of 30 laps) but here i go

Well as part of my 30bhp challenge I am going to have to give this a go... however so far Ive done it all with stock cars. Somehow I think going stock on the Carriage must just be a step too far. Glad to hear the lap time is coming down to a time where I dont have to clear 2 days from my schedule!! 👍 enormous applause to those of you have achieved this feat (what, 3 people is it now?? Must be more surely?)

Just a quick question: where can I win the carriage from (IIRC its Merc or European Classics or something?) also can anyone tell me what license I need, so I can get straight to it when i return home. Thanks!:D

RenesisEvo
Well as part of my 30bhp challenge I am going to have to give this a go... however so far Ive done it all with stock cars. Somehow I think going stock on the Carriage must just be a step too far. Glad to hear the lap time is coming down to a time where I dont have to clear 2 days from my schedule!! 👍 enormous applause to those of you have achieved this feat (what, 3 people is it now?? Must be more surely?)

Just a quick question: where can I win the carriage from (IIRC its Merc or European Classics or something?) also can anyone tell me what license I need, so I can get straight to it when i return home. Thanks!:D

yup, classic car cup, oh thats on PAL by the way!

I decided to give the carriage a go today. Tried Nurburgring. Gave up after 15 minutes of being stuck on the hill. Final straw was when I screwed up and wound up trundling back about 30 meters from where I'd gotten too.

So I figured I'd try Le Mans. Was going to do a lap of Sarthe II. Took me 5 minutes to get to the Dunlop bridge! Was a few seconds shy of ten minutes when I entered Mulsanne... Then it occured to me. Mulsanne is about 4 miles long I think. I was doing 12 kmh. By my reckoning, Mulsanne would have taken around 25 minutes, maybe more. Decided I didn't have the patience (since you can't just mash the button down since the engine overrevs and kills the speed). So I took an unmodified Model T around the Ring. Now THAT was fun.

thegreatms

272'53.705 👍

right thats it, im having another go !!!!! but not right now.... soon..... i still have a sore wrist from last time, and a blister... :)

Ok anyone up for taking the 3 wheeled benz round the 'ring?

I am dead serious. Except you would die from starvation, dehydration, sleep deprivation and at the very least get terrible RSI in your hands. Looks like someone better try it LOL!

Also, love to see what your new record is when you get round to it onedarkhorse... the permanent RSI and blisters are a small price to pay for, um, being immortalised on a web forum... :)

All you NANCY BOYS feast your eyes on this:

I COMPLETED THE RING IN THE MOTOR CARRIAGE IN GT MODE

I challenge you to beat this time:

580'55.414

here are the time splits

in GT!
T1 2'19.728 @34mph
had very good run up left side
8'46 when fully backed up; back left tire just at bottom of P in "power" graphiti
29'44 when fully backed up; back right tire just above start of red graphiti
42'23 over 1st hill (this really might be possible)
T2 45'47.981 @ 49mph
T3 48'08.364 @ 19mph (barely stuck on hill before t3, 1 mini-swing needed to get going)
T4 50'36.462 @ 36mph (braked at left before t4. down to 35 mph, skided on inside grass lost some speed)
67'53 over hill
T5 94'03.288 @2mph much slower then in arcade
99'48 over same T5 hill (switch to backing up to inside of ring, near long inside gaurd rail,
tack for bit when it gets less steep, then back to inside again, note: now I get over hill AFTER T5)
137'54 12km sign with log building across street
194'32 fully by metal wire fence on left
214'59 just to beginning of second left curbing
243'06 by little telephonebooth thingi at third left
T6 251'17.793 @ 2mph
270'53 over long hill
301'01 enter caroiusel
322'59 fully by start of red/white curbing on first left turn
355'04 fully by wood shack on left at gentle left curve
397'31 into white graphiti at steep left hander
497'27 over long and steep
T7 497'58.302 @12mph
509'54 over short hill
T8 510'07.051 @11 mph
T9 512'00.963 @21mph
T10 541'53.226 @22mph
T11 551'48.583 @10mph
580'55.414 DONE!

One odd thing; it said 559'14.431 in center of screen but the 580 number was in the top right under best lap and last lap; and i know it was the correct time when i passed the finish line, probably just some glitch.

Have fun :crazy:

This is seriously the most awesome accomplishment so far in this thread. I think the most appropriate respect I can give thegreatms is to change my sig to reflect his achievement, so everyone can see it all the time.

This is the completion of the ultimate "pure" lap with the Motor Carriage. It seems that all the mysteries of the carriage are now known.

Now we just need someone to significantly beat his time in GT mode... he said he skidded too much somewhere... now there's an opening...

Or we graduate to the 3 wheeler? Because the 4 wheeler is obviously too easy now LOL!

RenesisEvo
nearly 10hours? Ouch thats gonna hurt the fingers...

👍 congrats for proving it can be done in GT mode.

Well i spread it out over about 5 days, so it wasn't that bad. The worst part was the really steep hill after karusell before home acht. It took over 3 hours to get up that hill. I used the red/white curbing to track how much I was moving forword each swing. For the worst stretch I would move from a white section to a red section in about 5 minutes, about 12 swings back and forth. Then repeat that like 20 times...almost drove me nuts. But after i had invested 5 hours i couldn't stop.

P.S. how do you get the 3-wheel carriage? (maybe I should wait on that for a bit :scared: )

Thanks for sig james2097 it almost makes it worth it 👍

To get both the 3 wheeler and the 4 wheeler, do the European Classic Car Championship (Euro Hall) and the World Classic Car Series (Professional Hall) respectively. ;)

Back