1886 Motor Carriage around the 'ring! (in about 2 days)

• Thread starter James2097
  • 622 comments
RenesisEvo
:scared: I thought this was about the 3-wheeler in the first place?? :boggled:

Same here ?.....and I gave up after 20 minutes or so as I couldnt even ''climb'' the final ''hill''to get across the start/finish line with my 3-wheeled monster :indiff: ....

:confused: I started this challenge last night. I am about 2 and a half hours into it and am having a hard time getting up the first hill where you make a right uphill turn after the long series of down hill turns. About a third of the way into the course. Any pointers would be appreciated. :confused:

Getty over the first long hill was well worth the effort. Cruising in my buggy along the ring was very enjoyable. It was the first time I actually got to appreciate the scenery.

Oh, and BTW, there is a flaw in the game that may or may not have been pointed out on the board where they talk about flaws in the game, but I wouldn't know because I don't go there. The flaw is that the sun doesn't move. Maybe everyone else already noticed that, but it just occurred to me last night as I have never been in one sport long enough before to notice it.

G'day Mezar5. Good going so far, if you get the first big hill you'll be fine. I say just keep careful tabs on exactly what contour the hill is on (not always exactly perpendicular to the track), and when climbing a hill, I usually point the rear of the carriage towards the outside of the bend when going up a hill thats also on a corner. It just seems to work better that way. Also, you can use the rumble strips to roll the rear wheels up onto to get a little more speed when 'penduluming'. Keep really careful note of exactly where your wheels end up after each swing, noting the grafitti, fence posts, rumble strip stripes etc etc. Sometimes 'swinging' up at an angle which isn't quite the maximum you feel you can pull off can give you a little more speed and maybe let you maintain a better rhythm and climb faster... but I'd try and get a response from thegreatms or onedarkhorse, they're far better at the carriage than myself..

You are all insane. I really mean it!! You don't have ANYTING better to do? I mean, I am greatly impressed at your persistence, but. . . I'm just speechless, really.

Are you doing this in arcade or GT? I don't think I would have ever been able to do it in arcade if I hadn't gotten good in Arcade with the extra power and better tires.

The first part of the right hander is tough. It is the start of a very long uphill that will take a very long time. If we are thinking about the same curve it has some tall wood fencing on the outside of the track through the curve and up the first part of the straight. I found that having good speed going into this hill is critical. You have to conserve your speed going down the previous hill, try not to skid out or slide. When going up the hill get to the outside. Then start your pendulum motion while backing to the outside. I think I got about 10 feet past the end of the large wood fencing. I think this hill was banked around the curve pretty steeply; so you will be going forward at a decent angle (like 30 degrees from perpendicular to road up then roll back 15 degrees from perpendicular). Make sure when you role back it is at only 1-2 mph. Any more and you are losing valuable distance, any less you won't get back to the curbing. Once you get by the steep part it gets easier and you can make consistent gains up the hill.

hope that helps

Yeah the speed you carry into a hill from freewheeling is very important. Maximising this element of your technique saves mucho time and a fair bit of thumb twiddling! :)

I am not past the fence as I rolled back down a bit. Very distressing to lose any ground once its gained as I am sure you all know. I hope I am not starting form too far down the hill that I can't get all the way up. Anyway, yes that is the hill. I think my problem is that I am backing up too quickily and ending up losing ground. I am glad to hear from both of you that at least I am facing the right direction.

It is also disheartenting knowing that I am going to have to do this again in order to achieve the best time as I am already 2 1/2 hours into this and only a third of the way around the track.

As for those who think this is insane. After finishing mission 34 and winning the F-1 series rediculously easily, I didn't want to get bored with the game and just go win a bunch of races just to be 100 percent done. At some point, winning races easily just to get done is more like work than play. I needed a good challenge to brake up the game.

As for the amount of time. If it takes me four to six hours to do this, that is nothing compared to how long it took me to finish GT3 and get all gold licenses and, considering how much bigger GT4 is than GT3, I just don't see the amount of time it takes as that extraordinary. However, mucho props to the guys who blazed the trail for this challenge as I don't know that I would have been this persistant unless I knew it could be done.

ok sorry it took so long to get back but i gave up... couldnt even get up to the starting line so mad props to you james and umm ah geeze i forgot who has the new fastest record but way to go

I am now five hours and fifteen minutes into it and I am about half way around the track at Klostertal. I spent a ton of time trying to get up the hill we talked about yesterday and think you were right when you said it was esential to get past that brown wall. I was just below the rumble strip on the right side of the turn as the hill begins. Evertime I got a bit past the beginning of the strip, I slid sideways back down. So I went all the way back to the top of the previous hill and rolled back down. After the second try (funny how time takes on a new meaning in this challenge. Saying second try doesn't like much but getting all the way back to the very top took a while.) I was able to roll up the hill past the brown wall and from there I cleared that hill ok.

Right now I am going up the hill at the end of the long straight (straight for this course anyway) just before the hard right that leads into the Karussell. I am facing into the ring and rolling back at about a 45 degree angle to the track. It feels like I am rolling up hill each time. Very hard to read this section of the track.

Any other really nasty hills coming my way? And thanks to both of you for the help yesterday.

Yeah, I find the hill gradients in the game to quite often fool you into thinking you're actually coasting uphill, or conversely slowing you down while you think it still looks flat, or even slightly downhill. I'm glad someone else feels this and its quite strange. Is it a bug with the fine hill gradients, or is it just our eyes decieving us? This is a very strange feeling in the game, and I'm glad you brought it up to talk about, Mezar5. I find the back straight of nurb' to exhibit this effect quite obviously... see what you think...

Thats not a bad time so far for an initial run... Note how bloody long it took me! You know it can be done, so it mustn't feel too gruelling hehe!

I say push on! The little carriage that could! Honk honk!

MWAHAHAHAH!! Yes there will be more hills (duh!). ;)
I don't want to ruin the fun by saying if it gets harder or easier...

Yeah! I fully expect you to do at least 3 runs to improve your time... I mean there's nothing else to prove now except for - who is fastest? Come on man do 10 runs!

LOL only joking dude!!! :crazy:

Mezar5
Any other really nasty hills coming my way? And thanks to both of you for the help yesterday.

Yes, the hill just after the Karussell is the steepest of them all. It has sharp banks and at one point you have to switch from backing to the inside to backing to the outside. This is at the steepest point so it is easy to lose lots of distance. This was the area I was making only 3-4 inches each swing in GT mode; very painful. It took me almost 200 minutes to get from the Karussell to the top off that hill, less than 1 km.

James2097
Yeah, I find the hill gradients in the game to quite often fool you into thinking you're actually coasting uphill, or conversely slowing you down while you think it still looks flat, or even slightly downhill. I'm glad someone else feels this and its quite strange. Is it a bug with the fine hill gradients, or is it just our eyes deceiving us? This is a very strange feeling in the game, and I'm glad you brought it up to talk about, Mezar5. I find the back straight of nurb' to exhibit this effect quite obviously... see what you think...

I don't think it is a bug; just an optical illusion. I think it is emphasized when we spend 2+ hours on the same hill with a consistent gradient. There was even another thread where someone though that the back of the track was messed up and was coded to make you go slower. Someone else posted an altitude profile of the course and he realized that there was no bug; it was just a really long hill.

thegreatms
Yes, the hill just after the Karussell is the steepest of them all. It has sharp banks and at one point you have to switch from backing to the inside to backing to the outside. This is at the steepest point so it is easy to lose lots of distance. This was the area I was making only 3-4 inches each swing in GT mode; very painful. It took me almost 200 minutes to get from the Karussell to the top off that hill, less than 1 km.

Wonderful. Gives me something to look forward to.

9'00:46.678. Almost 4 hours and 45 minutes +/- off of the lead time.

"I know what you are thinking. Can you take five hours off your time, or only four. Well, considering this is an 1889 Motor Carriage and driving it around the ring can blow your head clean off, you need to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky. Well.....do ya, punk". :nervous:

I know I lost a ton of time trying to get up a hill that I really don't think can be overtaken in this buggy (around Kallenhard I believe). Between that and having to go back up the hill twice in order to eventually get up it and the probable time I lost on the very first hill as I was not as familiar with driving this machine around the ring then as I am now, I am hoping that's where I'll find the time I need. I didn't track my splits on this as I just knew my time would not be competitive, but I will certainly be doing so next time (yes, it looks like there will be a next time). The one thing I think I will try different is to make more use of circling for momentum, especially when the guard rails are far apart. I just don't think I'll post a better time by "pendulluming" better.

Mezar5 I warmly dub thee a fellow carriage master!
Yes, it is a tricky decision as to exactly when you should be tacking, slingshotting (what I call circling) or pendulumning the hill in question, depending on the gradient, track width etc..
All I can say is that you'll go way faster next time, even if you do it the same ways, you'll just be more confident, and know what worked last time. And you still whopped my time hehe. I did a LOT of climbing back up hills I'd already passed, just to get enough freewheeling speed to continue etc. I also didn't even know about forwards freewheeling!! The art of the carriage has really come a long way, and the techniques consolidated... thanks for adding your experience of this cool challenge.

You now deserve to give your eyes a rest and have a beer. ;)
I'll look forward to a possible new record... wink wink nudge nudge. :sly:

P.S. I know you feel lucky punk. :cool:

I am a bit surprised more people haven't gotten on board with this. Considering how long many other events in the game take, four to five hours for this really isn't that extreme. I honestly think I still would have done it even if I had to go down each hill backwards like you did. However, I really don't think I would have done it without knowing it could be done. Even if I thought of it, I probably would have given it a go and gave up thinking its not possible once I got to a tough part. So, thanks for adding to my GT experience.

Amoung other things that I liked about this was, on the long straight at the end, while I was cruising along I would press L1 and the camera would put me in front so I could watch the guy drive the car. I'm not sure but I think looking in reverse is different in this car than others because usually you just see what is behind you as opposed to actually being in front of the car watching it drive. Probably because the car has no rear view mirror.

I am looking forward to watching the replay tonight. Some of it anyway.

As far as "proof" for future insanities such as this, I think you can call any replay up in photo-mode and get various screenshots. Even if you don't have a printer, you can save them to an attached flash drive...

Puschkin

For this to logically make any sense, we'd all have to be dead. As this obviously isn't the case, I'd say there's a logical flaw in this request. I have no idea what you are inferring... :boggled:

Until then I'm planning on winning the 3 wheeler and running some tests with it.
Rubs hands with glee. :D

Haaaaa...finally finished reading this whole thread...got a little buzzed, and there was no alcohol involved! lol

Thanks for the entertaining read and lots of laughs guys. Such amazing but strange accomplishments. I was nearly on the edge of insanity once on this track. Let's see...it was Mission 34...yeah...funny how it's also in a Benz[but an evolved form]. Anyway, after a few failed initial attempts I decided on one run to go in reverse and "prevent" others from reaching the freakin finish line. [If I can't do it then NO ONE can....mwahhahaha!] Oh, you should've seen what an SLR going over 200km/h can do to the No.1 car head-on! If only we can smell all those burned rubber on asphalt.
Well, after that day I thought that was it. Let by-gones be by-gones. I was wrong until I came across this thread. You guys gave me new hope for more crazy fun on the ring.
Hey 💡 why not make this run as Mission 35 in GT5. LOL...then only the supreme elites with true skills of "freewheeling, pendulluming" can really attain 100% of the game! And some peeps thought Mission 34 was difficult...pshyeah right!

Btw, I tried B-specing the carriage in GT mode and it was quite entertaining to watch [I'm in Japan and playing on JDM version so it might seem a bit different]. The carriage nearly reached the first hill at top speed of 24km/h and then jerkily rolled back until it reached equilibrium at one point and stayed there [remember when Austin Power got stuck in that narrow hallway with that freight vehicle? lol. well it's kinda like that]

Anyway, my respects to James2097, thegreatsm, and not least OneDarkHorse.

Thegreatms, you got your wish. My time was 271.08.684. I went out and bought Max Drive today but, as it is my anniversery, I didn't have much time to figure out how to post a picture of my time. (Of course, I did have time to finish the race) If someone could just explain it to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are my splits. I have posted them next to yours as you will see the ending was really something to experience:

T1 mine 2.21.601 yours 2.19.6
T2 mine 30.22.240 yours 25.54.114
T3 mine 33.21.909 yours 30.32.429
T4 mine 38.00.327 yours 32.51.611
T5 mine 59.48.514 yours 54.32.075
T6 mine 137.58.777 yours 126.02.663
T7 mine 241.00.114 yours 236.53.382
T8 mine 245.35.263 yours 242.44.420
T9 mine 248.10.173 yours 244.39.914
T10 mine 259.40.336 yours 257.31.936
T11 mine 265.49.570 yours 263.06.884
T12 mine 271.08.654 yours 272.53.705

I made up nine minutes from T6 to T10 but was still 2 minutes behind with only fifteen minutes left to race. Although I was discouraged, I thought maybe it was still possible. Then I got to T11, and saw I was now three minutes back with only nine minutes left to race. At that point I thought to myself, this is going to be the worse possible outcome for me. To lose by less than eleven minutes, would mean that I actually would have won if I had run the first half of the race as well as you. That would mean that I (instead of you) would now have to rerun the race. How I made up five minutes from T11 to the finish line I can't know as I obvioulsy haven't seen your race. But if you tell me how you ran it I will try to tell you what I did different. I will tell you that I did drive straight almost the entire distance with the exception of maybe two slingshots (as they are appropriately called). Deffinetly no penduluming in that last leg.

Tomorrow I am going to do the math and add up the best spilts between the two of us and see what the best possible combined time would be. Thanks for the challenge. Considering I was behind for eleven out of twelve CP's and 4 hrs and 25 minutes out of 4 hrs and 30 minutes, I will always remember the feeling I had crossing the finish line and I will enjoy the record while it lasts as I know this time can (and likely will) be beaten.

Assuming the best of both runs, here are the theoretical split times and lap time:

T1 2.19.600
T2 25.54.114
T3 28.53.783
T4 31.12.965
T5 52.53.429
T6 124.24.017
T7 227.25.354
T8 232.00.503
T9 233.55.997
T10 245.26.156
T11 251.01.104
T12 256.20.182

Almost fifteen minutes faster.

Hey why not make this run as Mission 35 in GT5. LOL...then only the supreme elites with true skills of "freewheeling, pendulluming" can really attain 100% of the game! And some peeps thought Mission 34 was difficult...pshyeah right!
And PD gets abuse because they include so many long enduros already....LOL!
I have to say that the skill in doing this run isn't really your typical 'elite' reflexes or anything- its more like a considered board game or something, that goes forever. The skills are patience, irrational perseverance, and possibly creativity (assuming PD aren't allowed give any hints about how to ACTUALLY complete any hypothetical Mission 35. MWAHAHAH!).
This would be incredibly mean of PD to include, possibly EVIL.

Thanks, I submitted it. I requested verification as I am hoping they can help me figure out how to tranfer images from PS2 to computer.

I have gone back to the extreme events. I think I am going to finish them first before I consider going back to this. This was a much needed brake as completing Mission 34 and the F-1 series left me unenthused about doing races that were likely easier. But I am ready for some high speed driving again. I used the Sauber on the first set of extreme events. I really like that car.

I am curious. What was it about your last leg that left so much room for improvement. Did you pendulum the second to last curve or what. Good luck on your rerun.

Back