1929 MercedesBenz S Barker Tourer wins the 2017 Pebble Beach Gran Turismo Trophy

Spain
Spain
Freeman_Cruz
The 1929 MercedesBenz S Barker Tourer owned by owners Bruce R. McCaw, Bellevue and Washington was the winner of the Gran Turismo Special Trophy in addition to the show's grand prize.

The Gran Turismo prize is supposed to mean a future inclusion of the car in the series of games Gran Turismo, although they have some delay in the inclusion of the last winners.

2iibuco.jpg

I do not have time now to capture the snapshot of the prize delivery that should be in this streaming.

But it is in the list of prizes press release that you can see here:

http://theconcours.com/

Beautiful car. I would love to hear that beast inline-6.

And congrats for winning the award. Your car will be featured in a GT... "soon."

;D

Last edited:
The franchise (or indeed any franchise) would benefit greatly from the inclusion of more pre-war cars like this, along with the likes of Cord, Auburn, Duesenberg, Talbot Lago, Bugatti, Delahaye etc etc.
Of course, first they have to figure out who holds the rights to some of these names so they can license them properly, and then they have to find someone who owns the desired vehicle and is willing to let it be taken to a studio where it can be fully examined/photographed/recorded and so on.

To say nothing of potentially having to choose between several of the same pre-war car that are all slightly different, because the bodies were made by coachbuilders who all put their personal touches on each vehicle.

• 20170821_143800-jpg.668268
    1928 Mercedes - Benz SSK Roadster The radiator that I have rebuilt

Attachments

• 20170821_143800.jpg
    20170821_143800.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 429
Of course, first they have to figure out who holds the rights to some of these names so they can license them properly, and then they have to find someone who owns the desired vehicle and is willing to let it be taken to a studio where it can be fully examined/photographed/recorded and so on.

To say nothing of potentially having to choose between several of the same pre-war car that are all slightly different, because the bodies were made by coachbuilders who all put their personal touches on each vehicle.

Agree with you about working out the rights, but not on the other points. There are plenty of very scarce and even one-off cars in various driving game franchises (take the Jag XJ13 in GT) so that shouldn't be such an issue, unless owners point blank refuse their babies to be prodded around, which is possible of course. As for different coachwork, some of the examples I gave had relatively standard coachwork, as for the others I doubt people would argue they should come in all possible bodywork iterations, and would be happy with a nice example of each.

There are plenty of very scarce and even one-off cars in various driving game franchises (take the Jag XJ13 in GT) so that shouldn't be such an issue, unless owners point blank refuse
Jaguar owns the XJ13, and has it on display at the Heritage Motor Museum in Gaydon, so that's one of the very easiest to get access to.

Curiously though, that car is effectively a replica, having been rebuilt in the 1970s from the original chassis but not quite exactly. There is an exact replica of the original floating around somewhere, built much more recently and I think with help from Jaguar (and an original engine) - and there's a number of really very pretty replicas, like the Proteus P90, so even if Jaguar wouldn't allow access to a car on public display in a museum despite licensing the car for use in a game, there's several viable alternative routes for the determined.

There are a few privately-owned one-off cars in games - stuff like previous Pebble Beach and SEMA winners in Gran Turismo and then things like Ken Block's cars and Mike Whiddett's rotary stuff - but I agree that they are a lot harder to get access to than things owned by car companies. Car companies almost always want the publicity.

It would be nice to see some of the pre-war stuff though, you're right. After all, who else has them?

It would be nice to see some of the pre-war stuff though, you're right. After all, who else has them?

It would be even greaterererer if they added the pre-war layouts of the circuits too.

The car might possibly be added to Gt Sport in an update in the future as the car list might possibly go to 500 cars.

Back