20 million credits for free!

I have played Gran Turismo since its first title launch. I remember when Gran Turismo was fun because I could anticipate the upcoming reward and the incentive to keep racing was powerful because the goal was achievable. For the longest time, these goals and rewards were in the form of a new car, a new upgrade and a new modification. And I am sure we have all shared in these triumphs. In fact, much of the same principles with my own race car were derived from the early days of video game racing titles like "Gran Turismo", "Sega GT", "Tokyo Xtreme Racer", etc. I worked extra hours and that much harder in reality to buy that extra modification for my race car. However, this fun was utterly devastated, initially in GT5 and now more so in GT6, when I have to grind for hours, days, weeks, months and years to achieve similar goals and obtain similar rewards with previous iterations.

What Polyphony Digital has created instead with the last two iterations of Gran Turismo is a "money-making" scheme to essentially make the goals and rewards I once worked incredibly hard to achieve, exponentially harder to attain. All of which, at the expense of the overall fun, gameplay, replay value and quality game development. The goals and rewards no longer seem "achievable" to the average, yet dedicated gamer who have other priorities outside of gaming. The triumph of earning that extra million, the bliss of buying that car you have always wanted, the thrill of adding more horsepower, better handling and finer aesthetics have been pulled back that much further away from our tired, yet dedicated hands.

For years now, rather than focusing on advancing Gran Turismo to new heights for the series and the genre as a whole with features we have been practically begging for including: intelligent AI, realistic damage modeling, livery editors, removal of the paint chip system and realistic sound effects to name a few, PD/Sony has instead focused on implementing more ways to bleed money from its fans. Why must we grind hours, days, weeks, months and years on end for content we should have had access to from the beginning with the initial monetary investment we have paid? Now, I am not against hard work, as evidenced by my personal vehicle collections in previous GT titles, but the reward system implemented is becoming more and more broken with each passing title. And now, to add insult to injury, how dare you (PD/Sony) make the vehicles and content we want to enjoy that much harder to attain, clearly only to increase your earning potential! To charge us $50 in real-world currency for 7M in-game credits which is not even enough to buy a single 20M high-end premium modeled vehicle is an insult to your fans and a painful slap to the face of those who support you. I bought the game. I want to access the content. You create an infra-structure that discriminate the content against those who do not have the time and now the real-life money to pay for them? Shame on you! Remember this PD/Sony/Kaz. Remember this Rockstar. Remember this EA. Remember this Activision. Remember this, any other company who have achieved success as a result of those who support you. You are who and where you are because of US. You are nothing without supporters. You are nothing without gamers to play your games.

Polyphony Digital and Sony's ulterior motives with the in-game economy are obscenely blatant and obvious. To earn a few hundred here and a couple thousand there towards highly sought after vehicles in the millions is the equivalent of a hard and diligent worker earning minimum wage to buy a Ferrari.

Luckily, this time, the worker won the lottery. We now call that lottery ticket, "The 20 Million Credit "Exploit".

Needless to say, this worker got his Ferrari. And then some.

When I complained about the credit system and payout on Forza 3. I got banned from the Forza community website. When the total payout was 8x,xxx for a 50 lap race on the inside of a track and the total cost of cars before dlc was 186,xxx,xxx.

Will credits go with you to 1.02?

Yes. Sell your last BMW for 20.000.000 and end it there, the credits will show up after you upgrade to 1.02. But don't forget to trade a few BMWs for cars that, even in 1.02, are worth 20.000.000. You'll take them with you also and if in the future you need cash you can trade these for 6.000.000 (assuming PD doesn't change the game again in a future patch).

All PD has done to me now is make me preorder gt7. But rent it b4 I go & make my purchase. Because if it's about same I will not be buying it.....

Really? I think all the people that preordered it got pretty freaking lucky by being able to glitch, and build up hundreds of millions of credits in a just few hours. Anybody that waited to buy it now just has to live with whatever is there.

I'd say the preorder worked out darn good! :)

**Although if it was available for rent you could have done this too.

I sense trolls, how exactly does the 1.02 patch nulify the glitch?

Cars bought in 1.02 apparently aren't recognized in 1.00

I wanted to get rid of my last M4s before installing 1.02 so I deleted to 1.00, not realising that the last thing I did last night was the Merc Vgt Seasonal. So it was still selected as my current car, which makes 1.00 crash! Serves my right for being greedy I guess lol

I absolutely cannot emphasize this enough. Backup the save game onto an external USB storage device. We do not fully understand the functionality of update v1.02. I would hate to hear of everyone losing their collections and bank accounts. In fact, having a backup will be advantageous should the ability to sell 20M vehicles for 6M in v1.02 and above is disabled and/or limited in the future.

Cars bought in 1.02 apparently aren't recognized in 1.00

I wanted to get rid of my last M4s before installing 1.02 so I deleted to 1.00, not realising that the last thing I did last night was the Merc Vgt Seasonal. So it was still selected as my current car, which makes 1.00 crash! Serves my right for being greedy I guess lol
ya but you can update to 1.02 and restore your game so that still dosn't answer my question

Last edited:
Since I have a HD backup on USB flash drive with 1.01, I will be able to go back at any time and do the glitch. So long as the cars purchased in 1.00 appear in 1.02+, then there is no way for Sony to prevent me from reloading earlier versions of the patch to continue this process. Just make sure you save the game progress before returning to the latest patch update.

I'm not sure how this will help you... It appears that PD has changed the format of the save file, so even if you go back to 1.01, it's not going to read the data in your 1.02 save file.

I'm not sure how this will help you... It appears that PD has changed the format of the save file, so even if you go back to 1.01, it's not going to read the data in your 1.02 save file.
Did you try it? So going back to 1.01 won't get car save data to work like before on 1.00?

So you're saying:

Have money in 1.02
Downgrade to 1.01
Buy m4s
Downgrade to 1.0
Buy 20m cars
Upgrade back to 1.02

Possible... Unless they thought of that and the save from 1.02 is incompatible with earlier versions... Can someone try this and confirm?

Since 1.0 won't read the cars from 1.02, it's obvious that they've changed the format of the save file in 1.02. At this point we don't know how much they've changed it.

So you're saying:

Have money in 1.02
Downgrade to 1.01
Buy m4s
Downgrade to 1.0
Buy 20m cars
Upgrade back to 1.02

Possible... Unless they thought of that and the save from 1.02 is incompatible with earlier versions... Can someone try this and confirm?
Yes this but also have console backup of 1.01 patch version so it is possible to go back to it. 1.01 has the Vision GT Mercedes and also M4 so game save should recognize it. If it then puts values back to as they were before, should then work in 1.00 .

You think maybe there's a guy in the PD office that knows a bit of english, and googles "GT6 glitch" all the time?
Surprising how they always fix these things within a week :D

Maybe we should start using another word for glitch now.

Yes this but also have console backup of 1.01 patch version so it is possible to go back to it. 1.01 has the Vision GT Mercedes and also M4 so game save should recognize it. If it then puts values back to as they were before, should then work in 1.00 .

There are a lot of "shoulds" in this... That's the problem, no one know how much the save file has changed. We should refrain from speculation until someone actually tries this.

Dammit, and i even havent bought the damn game !! oh well grind it is.
Well, grinding now isn't so bad. PD has already given us the ability with the login bonus and events to make a lot of money now. This is what I was waiting for, and I was afraid we might not get it till January. Well, there is a God. :D

As for you guys throwing tantrums over the glitch being defeated and GT6 being worthless to you, I don't get you. Evidently it wasn't such a big deal in GT5 to be stuck with ways to make millions through grinding high payoff races, whether you kept your login bonus up or not. And do you remember how long we had to wait for that patch? I can't now, but it seemed like it was several months to a YEAR. And it was more essential in GT5 because we needed not just an income boost, but the XP system improved too. Remember that?

GT6 is a much better game all around, minus the goodies yet to come like Course Maker II, Event Maker, Online tools, possible Race Mod and Livery Editor... even without those, GT6 is an incredible improvement simply because the dynamics of the cars are so darn good. I like racing in the Fit! You guys can go enjoy whatever game makes you happy, I'll keep on burning rubber in GT6.

And I like the fact that SONY CE isn't being meanies about this and having PD drop code bombs on us to wreck things, though that would most likely be more trouble than it's worth anyway. SONY the megacorp is probably livid over this loophole, but I'm betting that Kaz Hirai and the other regional heads of SONY CE are philosophical about it, and realize it's good if brief PR for them.

More so, T10 actually analyze FM5s game play data and statistics and continually adjust the economy (payouts, vehicle pricing) based on the response of the players and community. T10 studies if players are playing, and if not, why not? Are the cars too expensive? Are the players not earning enough? T10 actually follows the forums. Now, when was the last time GT/Sony/Kaz and the crew did that?
Actually, they have been doing this right along.

Polyphony Digital cites fan feedback as their guiding factor when developing the functionality, and sure enough, several of the new features are some of the most requested in GTPlanet’s online racing forums.

And there are a lot of interviews scattered all over the web, way too many for me to wade through right now because I have to get on with my day, but surely people remember a number of things from sounds being worked on, new cars and tracks being considered with fan input, damage being tried, additions to the game like the above credit boosts - which we just got as you know, etc.

"The cars that matter most to you." I wish PD/Sony/Kaz would take on this philosophy.
I know this is an oft debated topic here, but this is something which will never be resolved to anyone's satisfaction, because everyone has their druthers. And I fear what the typical gamer's list will be, especially fans of that other game, as it seems inevitably to include mostly muscle cars, supercars, race cars, drift cars - LOTS of drift cars. Even with the gaps in GT6's car list people complain over, I prefer it to any other game.

I'm still not of the opinion that anyone from PD or SONY CEA needs to have a presence here, because the tendency to use anything GT or PD as a punching bag is just too strong. The people from Turn 10 are a mixed bag, and only one or two know how to take a ribbing. It's a good thing that Che Chou is gone, because he in particular was a flat out troll, and was banned from most message boards - multiple times, and I'm not sure he can even post anywhere outside of XBox forums. Even here, the Forza forum seems to be the least friendly place unless you're a devoted fan.

The GT boards are sometimes a series of pillow fights, but at least you can get a wide spectrum of viewpoints. And even if someone like America producer Taku Imasaki doesn't join in the mudwrestling here, they have mentioned a number of times that they take our input, collate it, judge it, and if worthwhile and doable, they act on it. And having someone here isn't going to make sounds improve any faster, for example. Nor will it make anything happen any differently in GT6 updates. We'll get what we get over the coming months, possibly years, and we can either spend time grouching on boards, or racing. And I'd rather race, so I'm about to vamoose. ;)

Back