2006-07 NBA Season(Finals - A Four Game Sweep)

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 529 comments
They have been saying that responsibility will be on Bowen but he is going to have help from everyone else. Parker said "ill take a hit from LeBron if it gets me another ring" meaning he'll take a charge on a guy about twice his size. :scared:
It's not that bad, as long as you are built durable. When I play, I effin' PENETRATE. If I was an NBA player, I could easily get couple of guys kicked out on Flagrant 2. Some nights, I get knocked out on the floor couple of times. And I never get injured. Over the years, I think you just learn how to take a hit, how to fall. I love Parker, Ginobili, and they are masters at stuff like that. Get to the rim, get to the line. :D

On the series: Right now, just about everybody's picking Spurs to win. Just one guy I know picked the Cavs in 7, but he also claims that the Blazers should take Durant with the first pick, so..... :dopey: He knows his basketball though, so I was bit startled to hear that from him. Personally, I'm going with Spurs in 5, but they did get swept by the Cavs in regular season, so we'll see how it goes!

If you're not from San Antonio, and you cheer for the Spurs... you need your head checked. Every player on that team is a punk... minus Duncan (he's just boring as hell to watch).

If you're not from San Antonio, and you cheer for the Spurs... you need your head checked. Every player on that team is a punk... minus Duncan (he's just boring as hell to watch).
San Anotonio Spurs(players, coaches and front office) are regarded in the league as a class act, unless you are talking about Bruce Bowen, or Robert Horry. Horry used to be a class act, but you just don't excuse what he did to Nash and his company. 👎 Bowen is a dirty player, welcome to the real world. Jordan/Pippen were dirty, so were Stockton/Malone, all sorts of rules were bent for Shaq, how's Kobe's reputation these days? What I'm getting at is, if you don't have a dirty player on your team *cough*RajaBell*cough*, you can forget about contending for a Championship. Quite frankly, you sound like a sore Phoenix fan(or whatever team that got spanked by the Spurs).

As for being the millionth person to call Tim Duncan a "boring player", does that ever get old? I'm(along with many knowledgeble basketball fans) so tired of this "Tim Duncan = Boring" argument, but I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. Most of the NBA fans are ignorant, many of them being just kids. I mean, here is the guy who is arguably the most skilled player in all of the league, and many fans(mostly noobs) are calling him boring. I guess their perception of good basketball is something we see in the dunk contests and AND1 Tour or something. It is absolutely hilarious that fan who doesn't know what they are talking about criticize a Championship level team or player for their style of play. :lol: My favorite team, Blazers, they have said in the past that they want to be like the Suns. Unfortunately, that style only works if you are as deep as the Suns, offensively. With the addition of Greg Oden in the '07 Draft(hopefully), I hope the Blazers will model after a defensive team like the Spurs, and not the "run-and-gun-lose in the playoffs" style.

San Anotonio Spurs(players, coaches and front office) are regarded in the league as a class act, unless you are talking about Bruce Bowen, or Robert Horry. Horry used to be a class act, but you just don't excuse what he did to Nash and his company. 👎 Bowen is a dirty player, welcome to the real world. Jordan/Pippen were dirty, so were Stockton/Malone, all sorts of rules were bent for Shaq, how's Kobe's reputation these days? What I'm getting at is, if you don't have a dirty player on your team *cough*RajaBell*cough*, you can forget about contending for a Championship. Quite frankly, you sound like a sore Phoenix fan(or whatever team that got spanked by the Spurs).

As for being the millionth person to call Tim Duncan a "boring player", does that ever get old? I'm(along with many knowledgeble basketball fans) so tired of this "Tim Duncan = Boring" argument, but I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. Most of the NBA fans are ignorant, many of them being just kids. I mean, here is the guy who is arguably the most skilled player in all of the league, and many fans(mostly noobs) are calling him boring. I guess their perception of good basketball is something we see in the dunk contests and AND1 Tour or something. It is absolutely hilarious that fan who doesn't know what they are talking about criticize a Championship level team or player for their style of play. :lol: My favorite team, Blazers, they have said in the past that they want to be like the Suns. Unfortunately, that style only works if you are as deep as the Suns, offensively. With the addition of Greg Oden in the '07 Draft(hopefully), I hope the Blazers will model after a defensive team like the Spurs, and not the "run-and-gun-lose in the playoffs" style.

:bowdown: Wow very nicely put. 👍

I think the Game 3 is a 50/50. Cleveland's going to come out with everything they got. And as for my guess of Spurs in five games, that one loss would come tonight, if not, in Game 4(I think).

The series itself is over, right guys? Cavs ain't gonna beat the Spurs four times out of five games.

Edit:
Wow, that sucks for the Cavs..... That last foul on LeBron looked almost intentional( :confused: ), it was so blatant. Wow......

The Heat were down 3 games last year. ;)
Nah, they were down 2 games, though it did feel like 3. And those poor Cavs are not playing the Mavs. ;)
-------------------------------------------

Trade update!
CBS Sportsline.com
Agent: Wolves, Rockets agree to trade James for Howard

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Timberwolves have reached an agreement to trade point guard Mike James to the Houston Rockets for power forward Juwan Howard..........

Duffy said he was told the deal would likely be completed on Thursday, and that it could have additional parts. Houston was bidding against Minnesota last summer when James was a prized free agent. The Wolves got him instead for a four-year, $23 million contract.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10224999

Congratulations to the San Antonio Spurs!

And here's the first European to win the NBA Finals MVP!

Not Ilgauskas.

I'm not surprised. I didn't even attempt to watch the Finals, I knew who'd it be.

Watching the Spurs play for the title though...is just boring, unless it's a really good team.

Now, to surf NBA forums, and watch the people's comments towards the Cavs.

I'm not surprised. I didn't even attempt to watch the Finals, I knew who'd it be.

Watching the Spurs play for the title though...is just boring, unless it's a really good team.
You know, I came down hard on several people who called the Spurs boring, but I gotta admit, '07 Finals weren't the most exciting. Not because of the Spurs, but like you said, it was the match up. If you look at the final score, it seems like couple of the games were pretty close, but in reality, it felt like the Spurs won by a lot more, just because the Cavs points in those games came in the (very)late surge, when it was too late, already.

I hope they get better pieces around LeBron next season. That boy can play, but he deserves better than the supporting cast he's got now.

Every one keeps saying that at every forum I read. Boring this Boring that.
You should read this quote taken from the San Antonio Express Newspaper:
FoxSports.com analyst Charley Rosen points to what he calls a "thrill-a-minute culture" that wants nothing but spectacular dunks and finds the Spurs' five-man coordinated defencse and share-the-ball offense boring. Brown and Van Gundy fault the media.
"Media drives perception," Van Gundy says. "If the media can't appreciate the Spurs, well that's a shame because it's their job to recognize greatness. And the Spurs have sustained a level of excellence the last 10 or 11 years that has been as good as any mordern team."

Every one keeps saying that at every forum I read. Boring this Boring that.
You should read this quote taken from the San Antonio Express Newspaper:

To me, the Spurs are one of those teams where they need a good team, or a close game to get me interested. But if they're trailing or leading by 15+/-, it just becomes boring because their routine is nearly the same.

They're a great team yes, but they just need a great team go against to really get the excitement up. The Cavs just aren't that kind of team when it's LeBron gettin' all the attention, which becomes very old.

But congrats to Finley, Duncan, and the rest. 👍 A Texas team took home the Championship, and that's enough for me.

They're a great team yes, but they just need a great team go against to really get the excitement up.
I totally see what you mean. 👍

NocturnalPS: I went off again, just little bit ago, this time at the Blazers forum. Another guy criticizing the Spurs for "whining, crying, flopping". He says that the Spurs are the worst team in the NBA on paper, which I have no idea what the hell that has to do with anything. They just won the god darn championship and swept the other team in the Finals!. He also claims that he hates the Spurs more than the Lakers, which is absolutely mind boggling as a another Blazer fan. Here was my reply to his post:
Me
I'm just amazed at this hatred and criticisms towards the Spurs. They play defense, they are stand up citizens, they are well coached, they make the extra passes, they execute the plays, they play selflessly, but all I hear about the Spurs are "boring", "whiners", "floppers", etc.

After the '07 Finals, I think we can safely conclude that the San Antonio Spurs are the most underrated NBA Champs in history of the league. They dominate by doing everything right, and all I hear is what is wrong with them.

Drew: They have no bench? You've been watching mediocre basketball too long, brother. Don't get me wrong, so was I. One thing I learned from the Spurs this year is that we focus way too much on individual talent. I hope Blazers studied the Spurs closely. What we need is good coaching, team work(with good chemistry), defense, and execution. IMO, establishing ourselves in those areas might be much more important than who we trade Zach to, or which new point guard we might pick up this off season.

Drew is the guy I was responding to. I don't think he is a dummy, but his post sure was one of the most retarded I've ever seen, I'm sorry. He is a typical Blazer fan(so am I) from what I can tell at the Blazers forum, and let me tell you little bit about us, the typical Blazer fans: We complain about the broken plays, or sometimes non-existent play, how we don't make that necessary pass that finds the open shooter, how our players (used to)make headlines off the court, how our players and head coach turn on each other, how our defense is one of the worst in the league, how our post player*cough*Randolph*cough* can't pass out of a double team........... I'll stop here, but you get the point.

Hey! There's a team that's playing the basketball we want our team to play! The "typical Blazer fans" reaction to that team? "They are boring, they whine, they flop........" Spurs are what we preach our Blazers to be, but that is how much of the Blazer fanbase observe them. Just a little bit hypocritical?

Wow, People just always seem to just hate them for just about any reason. You really should read this long article about the spurs. Let me try and scan this so you can.

..... okay i found it on the web its a big read but a real good one.
STAYING POWER

Tom Orsborn EXPRESS-NEWS STAFF WRITER

Publication Date : June 3, 2007

As the Spurs aim for their fourth NBA title in nine seasons and third in the past five -- a remarkable accomplishment that would enshrine the team in basketball's pantheon -- the nation's sports fans are responding with a collective yawn.
The Spurs "will never be the people's choice," a columnist for Yahoo!Sports wrote recently.

Blame it on the market, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame says.

"You are tucked away in Texas. What can I tell you," says Boston Celtics great Tommy Heinsohn, who won eight NBA titles in nine seasons with the Celtics in the 1960s and added two more rings as the team's coach in the 1970s.

"If this team was in New York, take my word for it, they would be the greatest of two centuries," Heinsohn says of the Spurs.

Despite the lack of national love, the Spurs of Gregg Popovich and Tim Duncan have something the Dallas Cowboys of Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith and the Los Angeles Lakers of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal -- two recent multi-championship teams that captured the nation's imagination -- never obtained.

Staying power.

The Cowboys won an unprecedented three Super Bowls in four years during the 1990s but soon fizzled, the victims of free agency, excessive partying and owner Jerry Jones' massive ego.

The Bryant-O'Neal Lakers appeared in the NBA Finals four times in a five-year span, winning three-straight titles from 2000-2002. But the Lakers' dynasty collapsed when O'Neal was traded after an internal squabble with Bryant.

The Spurs? They just keep on winning.

"There was a time not so long ago that we all expected the Lakers, with Shaq and Kobe and (coach) Phil Jackson, to be a long-term dynastic franchise, but they imploded," says Marc Ganis, a Chicago-based sports marketing expert.

"The Spurs, though, have never imploded, never self-destructed. And in this age of self-aggrandizement, self-promotion and ridiculous sums of money, that is extraordinary."

The same can be said of the Spurs' .709 regular-season winning percentage over the past 10 seasons -- the best in that span of any franchise in the four major pro sports.

With just four more victories, the Popovich-coached, Duncan-fueled Spurs will have exceeded the number of championships won by Larry Bird's Boston Celtics and be only one crown shy of matching the five that Magic Johnson collected with the "Showtime" Lakers.

Blame it on market

For the Spurs to have such an extended run of excellence in the era of free agency, the luxury tax and the salary cap is something that will be remembered as one of the greatest achievements in modern league history, NBA experts say.

"There's no question they're one of the three or four best teams of the past 20 years, along with the Bulls, Lakers and Pistons," Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni says. "I know they beat us twice in the last few years, preventing us from getting to the Finals with teams I really believe were good enough to get there.

"But I promise you, it's not difficult to compliment them for what they've done, because it's the truth."

D'Antoni's comments about the Spurs are typical of knowledgeable basketball people. But despite their success, the Spurs still are largely an afterthought in fan conversations about the NBA's greatest teams, making them one of the most underappreciated dynasties in the history of pro sports.

Again, blame it on the market, says Jack Ramsay, an ESPN.com analyst and former NBA coach whose association with the game spans six decades.

"If the New York Knicks had won three titles since '99 like the Spurs have," Ramsay says, "they'd already be immortalized."

Playing in the nation's No. 37 media market, the Spurs often are overlooked by fans outside South Texas.

Without a stylish superstar like Michael Jordan or Bryant that casual fans can latch on to, the Spurs drew fewer fans on the road this season than 18 other NBA teams.

Ramsay can relate. As coach of the 1976-77 NBA champion Portland Trail Blazers, he often wondered if anybody outside Oregon appreciated the greatness of his Bill Walton-led team.

"The entire state just feasted on our team," Ramsay said. "But outside of Oregon, we were not a high-profile team. In fact, after we won the championship, CBS opted to go to the Kemper Open right away. And the Kemper Open is not a high prestige golf tournament.

"It's similar with San Antonio. And that's sad because they are a truly great team."

It's all about modesty

Not all championship teams in small markets have struggled to capture the nation's imagination. The Green Bay Packers dominated the NFL in the 1960s and gained fans from coast to coast.

Of course, the Packers had a charismatic coach (Vince Lombardi), a handsome, larger-than-life running back (Paul Hornung) and a loquacious offensive lineman (Jerry Kramer) who wrote a best-selling book about the story line-rich team.

The Spurs stand in sharp contrast to that colorful bunch. With their self-deprecating, publicity-shy core of Popovich, Duncan and general manager R.C. Buford, they seem content to go about their business with little fanfare. Even point guard Tony Parker and his fiancee, "Desperate Housewives" diva Eva Longoria, don't exactly burn up the red carpet.

"I believe the reasons they have not received proper recognition around the country are the same reasons why they are so successful," Ganis says. "With the Spurs, it's about the team-first attitude, the modesty of the players and their disdain for 'SportsCenter' highlights."

In that sense, the Spurs are more in tune with the New England Patriots, an NFL franchise that has won three Super Bowls in the past seven years but isn't widely recognized as one of the league's greatest teams.

Like the Spurs, the Patriots have a coach (Bill Belichick) and front-office chief (Scott Pioli) who shun the spotlight, a star player who puts team goals ahead of his individual needs (quarterback Tom Brady) and a roster largely made up of players who give back to the community and stay out of trouble.

"In this day and age," Ganis says, "it's a telling thing that a team like the Spurs doesn't get the recognition it deserves because it does things so modestly and with so much class. The Patriots are similar in that regard."

Like the Patriots, the Spurs are considered their league's model franchise.

"The Spurs," former NBA coach turned ABC/ESPN analyst Hubie Brown says, "won't just be remembered as one of the greatest teams in league history. They'll also go down as one of the best organizations, from top to bottom, that's ever been.

"People who follow basketball -- not just those in the U.S. but around the world -- all know that. Knowledgeable basketball people don't shortchange the Spurs."

Doing a good job

Part of that admiration stems from the Spurs' ability to win championships despite having a roster experts say isn't as rich in talent as some of the more recent NBA dynasties, including the Jordan-led Chicago Bulls that won six titles in the 1990s.

That means Popovich is doing a job that ranks among the best ever by an NBA coach, says former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy, an analyst for ABC/ESPN.

"I don't think everyone knows just how great he really is," Van Gundy says. "That's not to underestimate their players, but I don't think any coach has achieved a championship level of success with less."

Nor has any team in recent memory been more adept at adding valuable pieces via free agency.

"You could probably hunt up a few mistakes they've made personnel-wise, but those are going to happen if you stay in the business long enough," former Spurs general manager Bob Bass says. "But they've kept them at a minimum."

Same goes for the draft.

"When you are lucky enough in the lottery to get (the rights to draft) David Robinson and then Tim Duncan, you are going to be pretty darn good for about 15 years," D'Antoni says. "But they've done a great job of putting people around those two guys to win championships.

"You have to give them credit for getting Manu Ginobili in the second round and Parker late in the first round. They're all-stars, and Ginobili is one of the 10 best players in the whole league. Maybe even one of top five."

FoxSports.com analyst Charley Rosen says the bottom line is that the Spurs' brain trust of Popovich, Buford and owner Peter Holt excels at running a team in the modern era.

"What the Spurs have done is highly impressive, but what makes it even more impressive is the changeability of rosters these days because of free agency," Rosen says.

"Of course, it was that way during the Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers dynasty and the Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls dynasty, but there are even more outstanding players available in free agency now that can change the balance of power. So to do what the Spurs have done over this extended period is even more impressive than winning three in a row or something like that."

Says Bass: "In this era, to be good this long is truly something."

So why aren't more people singing the team's praises?

Rosen points to what he calls a "thrill-a-minute culture" that wants nothing but spectacular dunks and finds the Spurs' five-man coordinated defense and share-the-ball offense boring. Brown and Van Gundy fault the media.

"Media drives perception," Van Gundy says. "If the media can't appreciate the Spurs, well, that's a shame because it's their job to recognize greatness. And the Spurs have sustained a level of excellence the last 10 or 11 years that has been as good as any modern team."

In typical Spurs fashion, Holt takes it all in stride.

"We know we are in a small media market and we understand sometimes we don't get recognized," Holt says. "But would I trade recognition over wins? Over championships? No, I like winning. We like winning. Luckily, I've got guys on this team and in the front office that get it, that understand that."

Others are confident the public will one day do the same.

"The Spurs are a great team and they will go down in history as a great team," says former NBA point guard Mark Jackson, an ABC/ESPN analyst. "They are great because of the titles they've won. They are great for having one of the best players ever. They are great because of their coach. And they are great because they have a front office that surrounds Duncan with a great supporting cast.

"What the Spurs do is about substance, not style. Sometimes we get caught up in style. But, at the end of the day, when you put the numbers together and realize what they've done, you can't help but appreciate them."

torsborn@express-news.net

Staff Writer Mike Monroe contributed to this report.

Great article. Thank you for sharing it. 👍 I've read and seen articles, interviews of so many respected NBA and media people sharing similar views, this article enforces that even more.

I'd love to see if there are any recognizable names criticizing the Spurs. So far, only people who I've seen/heard criticizing Spurs are the casual fans, plus some small time sports writers. And we all know that most sports writers are idiots(ok, at least many of them), or write stuff that are idiotic. ;)

from the article
Rosen points to what he calls a "thrill-a-minute culture" that wants nothing but spectacular dunks and finds the Spurs' five-man coordinated defense and share-the-ball offense boring. Brown and Van Gundy fault the media.

"Media drives perception," Van Gundy says. "If the media can't appreciate the Spurs, well, that's a shame because it's their job to recognize greatness.
Thank you, Mr. Charley Rosen, Mr. Hubie Brown, and especially Mr. Jeff Van Gundy for that quote(underlined). 👍

I can agree with that article, of course, but the fact of the matter is that basketball is entertainment. The Suns, since adopting their run and gun style, have never really gone anywhere in the playoffs but are still really fun to watch. If and when they lose, it was still fun to watch them.

The Spurs are an amazing team there's no doubt about it, but basically...i just don't really care.

I can agree with that article, of course, but the fact of the matter is that basketball is entertainment.
That's a yes & no, if you ask me. Entertainment?, yes. But at the same time, they are supposed to be playing basketball. Not what the uneducated thinks is a basketball.

Having said that, if people become uninterested in the "good" basketball, the sport could just die. Somebody compared the San Antonio basketball with a 1-0 baseball game, and that is so true to me. Good 1-0 baseball game is beautiful, but many, if not most fans prefer the beer league-style scores along the lines of 16-10. Wasn't this the exact reason why the popularity of Major League Baseball declined? People started complaining about the slowness and boringness?

I don't know if it's going to be in a form of penalizing defense, or changing the clock from 24 to 12(just kidding), but some changes could be coming, and that's too bad. As a fan of the sport, I'd rather see the sport's difficulty go up, not (dumbing)down. In another decade, it will just be which team can score more points on a layup drill, maybe going around plastic cones or something. :P

Well yeah but the NBA has pretty much always sucked because they're more interested in making money, but that doesn't matter to me anyway. I like all the fundamentals of the game and practice them all the time, but only because i can't dunk and do all those athletic things. That's why i find it more exciting to be watching that on TV.

Latest Posts

Back