2008 24 Hours of Le Mans

• Thread starter The359
  • 487 comments
I've always been curious: why does Aston Martin run numbers 007 and 009? Sure, I get them carrying 007 on account of their history with Ian Fleming's James Bond, but why 009?
has anyone herd weather or not the FIA was letting Peugoet build a new chassis for the race?
No idea. A quick search of Google News for anything relating to the Peugeot 908, Marc Gene or anything related to the subject only bringsup accounts and recollections of the accident.

Thanks for the photos Motominded! 👍
Boy oh boy, now I'm really happy to have a full size photo of the Charouz Racing Lola B08/60. :drool:👍 Also, its nice to see Porsche RS Spyder LMP2 running in Le Mans again, don't know if they were avoiding it for a few years, but now there are other teams more willing to enter that machine. (although, it could just be Penske didn't want to enter Le Mans is it?) But yeah, other than that, the other Le Mans prototypes just look as good as usual...... :)

Thanks for the photos Motominded! 👍
Boy oh boy, now I'm really happy to have a full size photo of the Charouz Racing Lola B08/60. :drool:👍 Also, its nice to see Porsche RS Spyder LMP2 running in Le Mans again, don't know if they were avoiding it for a few years, but now there are other teams more willing to enter that machine. (although, it could just be Penske didn't want to enter Le Mans is it?) But yeah, other than that, the other Le Mans prototypes just look as good as usual...... :)

Im happy to see so many entries, its seems as though popularity has grown in the sport and seeing the Peugeot vs Audi battle has really helped. I know that Peugeot doesn't sell cars in the U.S. but i would like for them to show up for the Sebring 12 hour and Petit Le Mans to show Audi the fight. They are part of ALMS but they are races known round the world.

Is Gran Turismo a sponcer this year as well? I love to see the overhead shots over Mulsanne with the GT banners on the two chicanes.

Those colors are really not working for the Astons.

Gulf oil?

oh yes they are, ever since i first saw them on drawings. I have been desperate to see them and they dont disappoint.

im in love with this \/
12307.jpg

I personally think that chalk-type blue is very boring, especially this one which seems lighter than the GT40 color. I doubt there are many cars that could make that color work. Either way the green looked much better.

agree the only car that livery has ever seemed to really look good on was the GT40. the astons should have stuck with there brittish racing green.

cause they cant run all the cars as 007 :dopey:
I was just wondering why they chose 009, that's all. I know they can't run both cars as 007, but the point is that in Fleming's Bond lore, 009 is an unlucky number to carry as no Double-Oh agent dies more.

I personally think that chalk-type blue is very boring, especially this one which seems lighter than the GT40 color. I doubt there are many cars that could make that color work. Either way the green looked much better.
image.php

agree the only car that livery has ever seemed to really look good on was the GT40. the astons should have stuck with there brittish racing green.
20011.GIF

Its not their fault they are beeing sponsored by Gulf.
image.php

HEY WAIT A MINUTE.........All of you have Corvette GT1 cars in your avatars.

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!!! :mischievous:

image.php

20011.GIF

image.php

bahahahaha ok yea i admit it im a pratt and miller boy but i still gotta say i think that paint job is horrible i think the aston looked alot LOT better looking in green. if gave it more of that james bond feel the gulf livery gives it a BLAH look.:yuck:

Cool! I went to this website... http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/accueil_fr.html and noticed some of the LMP1 cars have cockpits! What gives? I couldn't find the answer that easily. I don't follow this event that closely, so a brief explanation will suffice.

If you're talking about the closed top cars then some teams have found that ever since the 2005 LMP hybrid rules that enforce 2 rollover bars instead of just one a coupe is not at a disadvantage as it use to be but now it may be at an advantage thanks to better aero and chassis rigidness

The Peugeot 908 HDI FAP is 4, 5 mph faster down most straights then the open Audi R10 TDi and it is assumed by drivers and most everyone that the reason is that a coupe has better aero then an open top car

If you're talking about the closed top cars then some teams have found that ever since the 2005 LMP hybrid rules that enforce 2 rollover bars instead of just one a coupe is not at a disadvantage as it use to be but now it may be at an advantage thanks to better aero and chassis rigidness

The Peugeot 908 HDI FAP is 4, 5 mph faster down most straights then the open Audi R10 TDi and it is assumed by drivers and most everyone that the reason is that a coupe has better aero then an open top car

Oops, I meant closed cockpits.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. 👍

Does anyone know if live practice will be broadcast on Motors TV like last year? I'm gunning for the Vette's to give some payback time to the Aston's this year. I have to admit though, the Gulf livery looks very nice 👍

009 is another agent in the James Bond films. his name is Peter Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/00_Agent
I know he's a Double-Oh agent; I'm very well-versed in Fleming lore. I'm just wondering whether they chose 009 for the Aston because statistically, 009 is the agent most likely to die: he is killed twice in the films and at least twice more in the expanded universe. It's almost unlucky in the Bondverse, and so seems an odd choice.

m going with Famine on this. The Vitaphone is really hot.

Wasn't it Daan? :P

I do like the look of the DBR9 in any colour really, the gulf colour is good and I'm incredibley pleased they haven't ruined the car by chucking thousands of sponsorships onto the side of the car. Admitidly I think I prefer the BRG colour however, from the sounds of it this will probably be a one year deal only so hopefully we will see the return of the BRG Astons next year.

Oh, and I hope the Aston's and Corvette's fight cleanly...

image.php

20011.GIF

image.php

Haha so you noticed then. Mine is a pic from a lap of La Sarthe that I managed to stop the replay on perfectly with uneven flames coming from the exhausts.

I love all the GT1 class cars though. I hope the Saleens can do something this year although its unlikely. The Lamborghini just adds to the mix but I also don't think it will do anything.

Indeed, the Vitaphone Aston looks awesome, just like the same Vitaphone livery they used on the Saleen S7 a couple of years ago, and the Maserati MC12 👍

As for me, I'm hoping I recieve any channel that broadcasts the 24 hours of Le Mans this year :indiff:

As for cars, I find the Epsilon Euskadi and the Dome S102 the most stunning looking cars out of the whole pack. They really look as if they may be the underdogs or sandbaggers this year, I certainly hope so. For me, it would be a pleasant surprise to see one of these two slipping in on a podium battle during the night 👍

I've heard that ITV4 is broadcasting some or most of the race this year. How true this is will need to be verified but that would be awesome.

This would be for the UK only.

I checked the Speedtv coverage for North America and here's what it is.....

Sat 8:30 AM -12:00 Pm
Sat 9:00 Pm - unlisted, so i dont know if we will go through the night.

Sun 6:00 AM - 9:30 Am

I checked the Speedtv coverage for North America and here's what it is.....

Sat 8:30 AM -12:00 Pm
Sat 9:00 Pm - unlisted, so i dont know if we will go through the night.

Sun 6:00 AM - 9:30 Am

I'm pretty sure it will be like last year and they will show the race to the finish starting at 9 pm est

I'm going to get a 12 pack of pepsi, and a large box of donuts to try and keep me up

Last year I woke up at 6am Saturday and stayed up all the way until 5:30 am Sunday but went ahead and went to sleep before the end because I was just too tired...

This year I'll have more sugar and I will try and take a nap during the 9 hour break of race coverage to try and be able to make the distance

Back