2008 Beijing Olympic Games

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 256 comments

OZZYGT

Premium
United States
NYC
OZZYGT
I'm very, very surprised to see that no thread has been made for the current Olympics. I guess not a lot of people care anymore...
Oh well, but for those who do, this is your thread :)

Sports I'm looking forward to watch are: Swimming, Football, Basketball and maybe some gymnastics. We got a pretty good coverage here in the US from NBC network.

Anybody think Michael Phelps will break Mark Spitz record?

Last edited:
As much as I love watching the Olympic Games, I'm not looking forward to sitting through one hundred and sixty-eight hours of swimming. It's all the Australian broadcaster cares about because it's where our best medal chances are.

Yeah, specially that 1,500 meter event huh? :)

I've been always into the Olympic games, both the Summer and Winter ones. But I understand why so many people are boycotting them. But you know what, these athletes couldn't care less about the political situation of the hosting country; they just want to fight for winning that gold medal, and it's that effort, that sacrifice and passion, what makes me want to watch these Olympics. It's called the Olympic spirit.

Last edited:
For the Aussies, I found a site which is listing basically what's on what channel and when. Should be quite helpful:

Clicky

The men's football should be entertaining, but I wish we had BMX coverage. I really wanted to see what that would be like.

I think it'll be a good Olympics. The Uk are sending the 'best funded' team ever from here to this games and one of our main hopes for a boxing medal was sent home on Thursday because he couldn't make the weight. Tennis we have the Murray brothers which should do well. 14 year old Tom Daley is another medal hope in the Diving and Cycling seems another likely medal winner for us as we have multiple Tour de France stage winner Mark Cavendish and the ever strong Bradley Wiggins,Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton. Some people want a 'Medal for Tweddle' in the gymnastics. The Equestrian Team Swimming can bring home some medals for the UK but agian Sailing and Rowing again seem strong for the UK and our main medal source as I cant see us winning much on track and field.

Ohuruogu looks like a great hope. Idowu, our triple jumper, is also looking to get among the medals. Although he could crumple under the pressure like 4 years ago when he failed to record a single jump. Mo Farah can maybe cause a shock. I'll eat my hat if the 4x100m team can win gold again :lol:, lets relive that moment:

The 3 100m representatives for the UK this year will be Simeon Williamson, Craig Pickering and Tyrone Edgar and yet again I will eat my hat if any of them can score a medal. I've already mentioned Boxing but again this team seems as if it can bring a good haul of medals home as they chase the dream of turning professional and making the big money that Amir Kahn has since 2004.

The drums at the start of the ceremoney were simply the most amazing thing..EVER.

The BBC aren't being very specific on what they're showing which is abit of a shame. Everything is just listed as "Olympic coverage".

Just watched the opening women's badminton match, between Schrenk of Germany and an Indonesian woman, who I can't remember the name. It was a fantastic match, full of some stunning shots and smashes. :eek:
A really fitting first match, it was great to watch. The Indonesian won in the final game 22-20, after being 20-19 down. Quite exciting, no? I'm rather glad I've stayed up till half past 3 in the morning to watch that. :dopey:

Joe

Watching NBC's airing of the opening ceremony...the difference in reception of Iraq, and then Iran right after was quite pronounced.

We're about 15 minutes from the end of the opening ceremonies here in the US, live coverage starts in a little more than two hours on some of their channels. These should be very, very interesting games for the US as we're not picked as 'favorites' in most of the sports we're competing in.

...Then this came across on Twitter...

Leo Laporte
I think we'll look back at this and say, this was when the American century ended and the Chinese century began.

I think that sums up the whole thing.

Still, I'm looking forward to it very, very much. Tennis, swimming, diving, gymnastics and football are always my favorite.

OMG... The opening ceremony just friggin' rocked man... The lighting of the main torch was TEH awesomeness.

By the way, Czech Republic captured the first gold of the games.

After that opening ceremony, I can say without hesitation that Zhang Yimou is a genius. That was absolutely spectacular.

I only wish my cousin could've walked with the USA team, but he had to pass or wasn't allowed or something because his event is coming up soon. He also told me that he and a bunch of other athletes had the runs. :lol: Welcome to China.

There were a number of times I wanted to cry because the ceremony was just beautiful. I do cheer on my American athletes in these games. This may be the very first Olympics I'll actually watch. Not saying I'm committed, but I'll watch as much as I can.

Is it just me or did our outfits suck (again) this year? We do an absolutely terrible job subsidizing our uniforms to that "Roots" company, and every year, they botch it. I'm reminded of the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City where we had the Cowboy hats and leather jackets. Really?

I'd say the Austrians had the best look, the Dutch coming in second for me.

====

Still, an absolutely amazing opening ceremony. I haven't seen anything on a scale like that, EVER.

====

Furthermore, this makes me hope/pray that we get the games for 2016 in Chicago. That would be EPIC having it three hours away.

Is it just me or did our outfits suck (again) this year? We do an absolutely terrible job subsidizing our uniforms to that "Roots" company, and every year, they botch it. I'm reminded of the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City where we had the Cowboy hats and leather jackets. Really?

That was Ralph Lauren, my friend. We had the best outfits, I think. The hat was terrible though. Italy had a nice wardrobe too.

Worst outfits go to Hungary, though. What were they thinking?!

That was Ralph Lauren, my friend. We had the best outfits, I think. The hat was terrible though. Italy had a nice wardrobe too.

Worst outfits go to Hungary, though. What were they thinking?!

Yeah I really liked our outfits, even though they looked like something I'd imagine some rich white yacht owning old guy would wear. It looked nice and clean, simple and effective. Definitely better than a lot of the countries.

And the opening ceremony was great, I was getting pissed because my parent's were up stairs moving crap around, and my little sister kept coming in being noisy. I had the volume turned up pretty high. I'm glad I decided to watch it though.

I'm currently watching the action right now (sabre fencing). The American Zagunis picked up the first score in like... what? 0.2 or 0.3 seconds? She's ahead 8-6 last I checked. I'm going to alternate between the USA network and CNBC. CNBC's going to show boxing. The most for the lineup is USA at present. I only watch USA to see Monday Night RAW, but I will be watching for as much action as I can see.

This is my first watching of fencing. There's about two matches going on as (understandably) the American is featured in her match against the Polish Jozwiak (who is 4-inches taller than Zagunis). It's now 13-11 as Zagunis looks ready to head to the quarterfinals.

[UPDATE] Here is your winner: Zagunis!

Last edited:
There is an excellent feature at NBCOlympics.com where you can watch any event online and watch 4 live feeds simultaneously.

Who needs TV anymore?

Man... we got some good women fencers. I just saw that one Czech win the gold medal in the Shooting event with those air rifles.

At present, I'm watching Badminton. It's America vs. Canada. The Canadian is winning so far.

[Update] I think Lee (the American representative) was born in Hong Kong, but playing for America. Just remembered.

The men's football should be entertaining, but I wish we had BMX coverage. I really wanted to see what that would be like.
BMX is on at these times:

Wednesday 20th - Cycling - Women's BMX, Men's Quarter Finals: Channel 7 11:00am - 6:00pm
Thursday 21st - Cycling - Men's/Women's BMX Final: Channel 7 11:00am - 6:00pm

I'm watching Equestrian Dressage. This is really cool! The arena in Hong Kong is also fab. Where else do you get to see stuff like this? :lol:

Anna Rice (CAN) wins in Badminton despite Eva Lee's attempts to keep the match close. I now have a little more appreciation of badminton.

I'm watching the equestrian dressage coverage myself, though I don't usually care for any sport that involves horses. The venue used IS pretty lovely (as is most of Hong Kong to begin with). Nothing like seeing the futuristic skyline of Hong Kong, especially in a quality sports arena.

[ALSO...] The one horse and rider I'm seeing has this one horse seems to strafe left or right. Kind of like a car sliding around on an icy road. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
I'm watching the equestrian dressage coverage myself, though I don't usually care for any sport that involves horses. The venue used IS pretty lovely (as is most of Hong Kong to begin with). Nothing like seeing the futuristic skyline of Hong Kong, especially in a quality sports arena.

[ALSO...] The one horse and rider I'm seeing has this one horse seems to strafe left or right. Kind of like a car sliding around on an icy road. Interesting stuff.

Yeah, they go through all different kinds of maneuvers. I turned it off in order to watch the Korea v. Cameroon soccer match, though. Korean soccer is awesome.

Well, I used to follow the J-League on FOX Soccer Channel, but I do hear that Korean football is about as intense as the J-League. I'm currently watching boxing. Zhang Xiaoping is giving the Chinese fans something to cheer about it, but scored NO points in Round Two. Just watching as many events as I can before calling it a night.

One thing I notice about this Olympic boxing is that the referee doesn't get in there and break up holds. In American fights, you'll see the ref get in there when they've been holding for about two seconds. Maybe I'm so used to all-out rumbles that I think these boxers don't duke it out as much as you see mostly in American boxing.

Xiaoping beat the Tunisian boxer and will advance to the Second Stage.

Alright... looks like I'm going to get to see a little football action next. It's the American women vs. Japan's women. I usually regard Japan in football, but I think we have a much stronger than Japan. Not to say Japan doesn't stand a chance, just that I don't think the Japanese team will knock off America.

That football stadium (football as in soccer) that the two teams will play in... it's a BEAUTIFUL stadium! Never realized China has such amazing sporting facilities.

Alright! My boy Park Chu Young scored from way out on a free kick. Cameroon botched that set play completely.

edit: Okay, now that I've watched all the soccer goals, (thank god for seeking) it's time for some 48kg women's weightlifting. Damn, these girls can pull! Some of 'em are hot too.

Last edited:
Back