2008 Beijing Olympic Games

• Thread starter OZZYGT
  • 256 comments
I was depressed, because I have to wait another 4 years for the next summer Olympics. Oh yeah and I have to go back to school tomorrow.

It's always such a terrible feeling when the Summer games are over. :( The UK's segment wasn't too encouraging, either... :ill:

This was a very interesting Olympics in Beijing. I'll compile my Winners and Losers from as much as I know about the Olympics.

John's Winners and Losers: 2008 Beijing Games (XXIX Olympiad)

--- Winners ---
* United States basketball (men and women)
* United States (most medals)
* China (most gold medals)
* Usain Bolt (can we call him "Insane Bolt?" Too damn fast! Like an F1 race car with two feet!)
* Shawn(?) Johnson and (Texas' own) Nastia Liukin
* The Lopezes (also Texas' own) in Tae Kwon Do
* the Japanese softball team upsetting the United States' softball team
* the Home Depot employees that represented the United States in the Olympic Games, racking up about 180 medals out of 660-something hopefuls

* China as a whole
* opening and closing ceremonies
* the Olympics itself- uniting the world through sport rather than being divided by politics, conflicts, etc.

And so I don't forget... most importantly:

* Michael Phelps

Since I didn't see too many Olympic sports, here are my few losers. Actually, just one that stands out:

--- Losers ---

* that Cuban guy in Tae Kwon Do that karate kicked that ref in the head and got him and his trainer banned for life

Up next:
* 2010 Vancouver Winter Games
* 2012 London Summer Games

Congratulations to all performers as well as all medal winners. Over 205 nations have all competed in the Olympics. Seeing all of you compete and represent your nation is why we salute you. What I've learned is that events like the Olympics really unites the world. It's one of those events that unites the world regardless of any political or social issues. They are put aside as athletes all perform for the world and for their respective countries. There were still various protests of this Olympiad because of people protesting China's treatment of Tibet. Still, these are some of the world's finest athletes as well as those who'll represent their home nation with class and dignity.

The next Olympic action will be the Vancouver Winter Games. I'm sure Canada will get plenty of Maple Leaf love up in Vancouver. Or if you don't count the Winter Games, then get excited for London 2012.

By the way, who are your winners and losers for Beijing 2008?

--- Winners ---
* Usain Bolt (can we call him "Insane Bolt?" Too damn fast! Like an F1 race car with two feet!)
Not just him though. Jamaica won all the sprinting golds, male and female.

The British track cycling team were the winners in my book. Every single one of them got a medal (except poor Mark Cavendish in the Madison). Chris Hoy was just fantastic. He seemed to have a higher gear than everyone else, and it was impossible for anyone else to get past him.

Losers were the judges in the boxing and the taekwondo who seemed to be watching different bouts from the ones I saw.

But the biggest losers were the people drugging the horses. 👎 Rubbing cream on the horses forelegs to them sensitive to contact, so that if they hit the fence it would hurt them more. :(

Some of those pictures were quite disturbing, perverse, and pretty funny.

And Rainmaster's vid was great.:lol:

He called his shot! He let us know what he was going to sit on before he did it! :lol:

BesteBilder102_750.jpg

So I grave dug this thread because I felt it really didn't need a new one.

Usain Bolt has been stripped of his 2008 Olympic games 4x100m relay Gold medal through no fault of his own as his teammate Nesta Carter has tested positive in a re-testing of his sample. This means that Bolt will loose his coveted 'triple treble' medal haul.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/38744846

I cannot believe its taken this long to prove that we have watched unfair sport take place. How many years in the future will it be before we find out what really happened in Rio...

I cannot believe its taken this long to prove that we have watched unfair sport take place. How many years in the future will it be before we find out what really happened in Rio...
Sadly, I suspect that this is just the tip of the iceberg - the Jamaican athletics teams' success in the last decade or so is highly suspicious to say the least.

I personally think we should retest the Brazil football team's drugs tests in France '98 - of course the Brazilians will want the Scots drugs tests reexamined, but I think they will find that alcohol is not a banned substance, nor is it (or will ever be) a 'performance enhancing' drug, evidently.

Latest Posts

Back