2008 Best Car Series: Chevrolet Corvette vs Mercedes SL65 Black Series

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 178 comments
  • 8,609 views
there's about 5 cars with pushrod engines that I would vote with joy. C5,C6 vettes don't belong to that lot.
 
Request received and acted upon.

Sadly making it 38:38 now. Poor YSSMAN :D
 
I'm the 39th to vote for the Merceds which tips the scale in favour of the Mercedes.


I made this post and voted before I read any other posts in this thread
 
Last edited:
Yes please, and while you're at it could you fix Alex., Appie, Arkangel, bennyrrr, Blackbird., Danachronism, forza2.0, G.T, gator of kana, GT Pro, Jackington, jacoja08, JCE, JER_CREST, killer450235, kimkafwan, Leonidae, MustangSVT, Muzaffar Musa, neanderthal, nitro_2005, Omnis, Perfect Balance, Philly, Reventón, rollazn, rovens, Serge.D, slidesquad#1, Stevisiov., stumpydino, Thatman, Thirdeye, Toronado, Turbo Lag, V1P3R, Wolfe and zed300's mistakes too - they've clearly all voted for the wrong car by accident too.

Cheers 👍









;)


Thank you, but i voted correctly! Try not to impose your views on mine
 
Just tipped the scales with 40 - 39 for the Merc...

Sorry but im a Merc fan and these new 'Black' ones are crazy.. :crazy:

Robin
 
Just tipped the scales with 40 - 39 for the Merc...

Sorry but im a Merc fan and these new 'Black' ones are crazy.. :crazy:

Robin

How do you know that this one will be?
 
Very few 'sporty' Mercs could be considered top of their class. The SLK Black wasn't all that well regarded. This one hasn't even been driven by anyone who doesn't work for Mercedes. Nobody knows how well it will perform yet - but the Corvette consistently gets highly rated. You can't surely judge a car purely on looks?
 
Defiantly voted for the merc. The SL65 Black Series is one of my favorite cars in the world
 
I can't wait for this Mercedes to be released now and it to be a complete dissapointment to everyone, it's silly to vote for a car which hasn't been road tested what do we know about the car apart from its vital stats and that it looks fairly good? It's judging a book by its cover.
 
I can't wait for this Mercedes to be released now and it to be a complete dissapointment to everyone, it's silly to vote for a car which hasn't been road tested what do we know about the car apart from its vital stats and that it looks fairly good? It's judging a book by its cover.

Don't you think the other 2 AMG Black Series mercs would give a good idea on what this SL will be like?
 
Last edited:
I can't wait for this Mercedes to be released now and it to be a complete dissapointment to everyone, it's silly to vote for a car which hasn't been road tested what do we know about the car apart from its vital stats and that it looks fairly good? It's judging a book by its cover.

And what if, when it comes out, it's the dogs danglies?
 
But its velvet!

Ohhh!!! Velvet you say!

Don't you think the other 2 AMG Black Series mercs would give a good idea on what this SL will be like?

No car company gets it right every time, just because the previous 2 (There were 2? I only know of one) were praised as being very good, doesn't mean the next one will be.

And what if, when it comes out, it's the dogs danglies?

I can't think of a comment at the moment. I'll get back to you. :indiff:


Doesn't matter anyway, the un-released not for sale yet, un-tested by the public car has won. Well done Mercedes!
 
I can't wait for this Mercedes to be released now and it to be a complete dissapointment to everyone, it's silly to vote for a car which hasn't been road tested what do we know about the car apart from its vital stats and that it looks fairly good? It's judging a book by its cover.

Pessimist. You're just hoping it will fail just to suit your own opinion. Its rather wrong for an ethusiast to WANT something to fail. Shouldn't you WANT something to be good? I generally hate Corvettes after 1982 (C5's are ok) but I WANT the new C7 Corvette to be good so I can re-like them. And since this is a democracy and a public poll I CAN vote for something based SOLELY upon looks if I choose to. And in this case the SL will win 100% of the time with me just on looks alone.

Don't you think the other 2 AMG Black Series mercs would give a good idea on what this SL will be like?

If the CLK63 Black is any indication it (SL Black) will be fan-bloody-tastic!
 
The past models are a pretty good indicator of the future. See BMW and M models.
The CLK black series kicked serious hiney. Everybody raved.

We can only hope the SL version gets turned up to 12 as well.
 
JCE
Pessimist. You're just hoping it will fail just to suit your own opinion. Its rather wrong for an ethusiast to WANT something to fail. Shouldn't you WANT something to be good?

Wait a minute. This doesn't jive with this remark you made in the E92 M3 CSL thread:

JCE
RIP BMW. Merc has finally surpassed them in the overall sport catagory. I wouldn't be surprised to see more "affordable" sport models from Merc in the next few years to take what else BMW has on the market share in that arena.

A little pessimistic there? Maybe because you like Mercedes and want BMW to fail to suit your own opinion?


M
 
Wait a minute. This doesn't jive with this remark you made in the E92 M3 CSL thread:



A little pessimistic there? Maybe because you like Mercedes and want BMW to fail to suit your own opinion?


M

No, actually it was supposed to be RIP CSL but I took a jab at BMW's because I wanted to--and I'm a Merc kind of guy. :D I hope the CSL gets reborn as it was my favorite BMW ever.
 
JCE
Pessimist. You're just hoping it will fail just to suit your own opinion. Its rather wrong for an ethusiast to WANT something to fail. Shouldn't you WANT something to be good? I generally hate Corvettes after 1982 (C5's are ok) but I WANT the new C7 Corvette to be good so I can re-like them. And since this is a democracy and a public poll I CAN vote for something based SOLELY upon looks if I choose to. And in this case the SL will win 100% of the time with me just on looks alone.

I'm not a enthusiast of either of the cars, I think the new Corvette is a bit too tacky quality wise for a car considered to be sporty. Then Mercedes, they (IMO) have gone completely over the top with this power battle, which they now seem to be having within the company itself! It was fine when there were other German cars giving it some competition, but tell me, where is the rival car to the SL65B? Audi certainly doesn't make one, BMW doesn't either. Neither does Porsche. Anyway, to combat your point of it being a public poll etc, I never said you couldn't vote for it. I said I didn't understand why someone would vote for a car that hasn't been reviewed, anyway I agree the SL does look better than the Corvette, doesn't neccessarily make it a better car.

As I said anyway, it's over now anyway. The SL made it through due to public vote, fair enough.
 
You are however correct in MB competing with itself. The SLR never stands a chance against the SL65 Black. And I love it that way. The closest thing Audi will have is the R8 when it gets the big daddy V10.
 
I said I didn't understand why someone would vote for a car that hasn't been reviewed
I can tell you why I voted for it:
05MercedesBenzSL65AMG_eng.jpg


It was fine when there were other German cars giving it some competition, but tell me, where is the rival car to the SL65B?
250px-SC06_2006_Bentley_Continental_GT.jpg

Probably one of the reasons they made the Black.
 
Last edited:
Hooray!!! The SL65 won!!! In your face Corvette!!! Thought that you was the big daddy weren't you, well you're not!!! I knew you were a cheap piece of American crap. :p:p:p:lol::lol::lol::)
 
Last edited:
I can tell you why I voted for it:
05MercedesBenzSL65AMG_eng.jpg



250px-SC06_2006_Bentley_Continental_GT.jpg

Probably one of the reasons they made the Black.

You know what's funny, when the Continental GT came out I thought it was terrible...now after seeing a few in person and sitting in one I actually really like it. I wouldn't mind an all blacked out debadged one myself. :D

And an AMG V12 is plenty enough good reason to vote for whatever car it sits in. If a Corvette had one under the bonnet I'd vote for it. :D
 
I see them regularly and ewwwwwww!!!!!

Look better in pictures
And especially so from the rear 3/4
 
Hooray!!! The SL65 won!!! In your face Corvette!!! Thought that you was the big daddy weren't you, well you're not!!! I knew you were a cheap piece of American crap. :p:p:p:lol::lol::lol::)

Ah, the air of maturity....

Granted, the McMerc was a huge "don't care anyway" for me, so the SL65B is even less relevant. Why should I care if a car sticks it to a car I don't care about?
 
Back