2008 Best Car Series: Holden Commodore vs Renaultsport Megane R26

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 141 comments
  • 6,570 views

Aussie vs Frenchie


  • Total voters
    79
  • Poll closed .
It's natural creature habit. People buy iPods because of the visceral attraction to using one, people are naturally drawn to appliances that are made to look pretty although don't work very well, they come out of a design interaction satisfied with the way something operated, regardless of how well or unintuitive the experience was. It's called design. You're letting your inner bias judge things if you feel that no car needs a pretty, functional or well-made interior. Major design theorists who based their entire studies solely on functionality and performance have been mocked now that the notion of function being the end-all story over form has been completely discredited.

Good for them, I'm a man who won't bother spending extra on crap I don't need, if it does the job I'm fine, so as long as it's functional and in general well laid out, I don't care much for how it looks otherwise.

Edit: @ Jim Prower, I hate you too buddy, I hate you too.:cheers:
 
Not that I hate you...but hearing about a car or brand's virtues ad nausem does cool one's ardor.
 
Except the majority of car buyers don't think that way, therefore the quality, look, and usability are all important parts of the interior.
 
Not that I hate you...but hearing about a car or brand's virtues ad nausem does cool one's ardor.

Oh, that must be why I have no interest for the GT-Rs, Ferrari, Pagani, Civics, Rotaries, BMWs, most Mercs, half the Audis, and more.💡 Because every frig'n person thinks they're the best and wants to own one.👎

Edit: @ Joey D, I can totally understand that, really I can, because most people don't even care about performance let alone it being a prime factor in their decision, and most people would rather have something posh and expensive because it probably makes them feel good, it's just not for me.

Edit 2: If I were decing between 2 cars of similar performance and purpose and functionality, I would then probably look at the interior quality. They would also have to be near identical in engine, gearbox and brand.
 
Last edited:
Good for them, I'm a man who won't bother spending extra on crap I don't need, if it does the job I'm fine, so as long as it's functional and in general well laid out, I don't care much for how it looks otherwise.

You're totally missing the point. Human interaction will always be better (and that includes nd 4 holden spd interaction, Joey D interaction, exigeracer interaction and anyone else in this world) with well-designed interactive devices. Look anywhere, advertising, graphic design, industrial design, environmental design. Hell, anything that isn't nature has to be made to look like something, and if that something pulls on the male gaze, then the institutional gaze is rather blinded and the experience is enhanced. Websites, the computer you're typing on, the phone you speak with, any other modern creation will work better if it looks nice. This is the way you are wired to think.

-edit- you seem to think that nice design is expensive. You're just wrong and your lack of exposure to modern design is showing more and more.
 
You're totally missing the point. Human interaction will always be better (and that includes nd 4 holden spd interaction, Joey D interaction, exigeracer interaction and anyone else in this world) with well-designed interactive devices. Look anywhere, advertising, graphic design, industrial design, environmental design. Hell, anything that isn't nature has to be made to look like something, and if that something pulls on the male gaze, then the institutional gaze is rather blinded and the experience is enhanced. Websites, the computer you're typing on, the phone you speak with, any other modern creation will work better if it looks nice. This is the way you are wired to think.

-edit- you seem to think that nice design is expensive. You're just wrong and your lack of exposure to modern design is showing more and more.

Read above edited post first, then:

So you would rather have a woman with good looks and a total bimbo rather than a girl with average looks and a great personality? If I've sat in a V8 Mercedes Coupe and didn't care for it I think I'd know what I like. I've been to a number of auto shows and sat in cars from every brand available there. I think I know what I like.
Driving experience is far more important to me than interior quality. I drove a Mazda 6 just yesterday, and while pretty at first, I got tired of the thing about 10mins down the road, because it didn't tick any "yes please" boxes for me.
 
Last edited:
BFYB --> Is there any other car in the world that can compete with the HSV?
 
I voted for the Renault, that Holden is just an Australian version of the Pontiac GTO
 
Last edited:
I voted for the Renault, that Holden is just an Australian version of the Pontiac GTO

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Are you serious? Not only is that incorrect, but it's not even an excuse.
 
How can you call a hatch back practical?

Hatchbacks are more practical than saloons. Although saloons generally have more bootspace, it's much less accessible. I used to work at an electrical retailer, and once managed to fit a full size fridge-freezer lengthways in a mk4 Vauxhall Astra 5dr. On the other hand, I regularly struggled to get even microwaves in the average saloon, and the boot aperture to some saloons was an absolute joke. No good having 500+ litres of cargo space if you can't get to it.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually prefer saloons to hatches, and damn the practicality - but hatches are more practical for most purposes, and in this particular contest I prefer the Megane to the Commodore.

So you would rather have a woman with good looks and a total bimbo rather than a girl with average looks and a great personality?

Quit with the car/woman comparisons. Last time I checked they weren't the same type of entity, and I happen to have very different taste in cars to my taste in women. You forget that if the Commodore were a woman she'd be eighteen stone and laugh like a walrus.
 
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Are you serious? Not only is that incorrect, but it's not even an excuse.

It felt like to me when Holden tries to make a fast car, the first thing that comes to my mine is that they try to copy cat the Pontiac GTO
 
I'm a big person, and despite what other big people like to claim, my legs are cramped in any hatch back I've been in the back seat of (too many), so what point is having a back seat if it's only good for 10min trips down the road with passengers on board?
I guess it depends on which hatch back, I certainly can't deliver auto parts in the hatchback at work that I could in the sedan (tyres come to mind).

Edit: At gator of kana, the last model GTO was a rebadged Holden, and while the Monaro and GTO were similar back in the '60s and '70s as well (both muscle coupes), they had very little in common at all, and were designed for different reasons. As for this Holden, it's a 4 door, and the GTO is a coupe.
 
Last edited:
It felt like to me when Holden tries to make a fast car, the first thing that comes to my mine is that they try to copy cat the Pontiac GTO

Uh...what?

The GTO is a rebadged Holden.
 
Yeah, the Holden Monaro is the rebadged GTO

Oh dear, please read the wiki page on that last model GTO or something, you need to have your facts set straight on that one. The GTO is a rebadged Holden which in turn is more or less a Commodore coupe.
 
Oh, that must be why I have no interest for the GT-Rs, Ferrari, Pagani, Civics, Rotaries, BMWs, most Mercs, half the Audis, and more. 💡 Because every frig'n person thinks they're the best and wants to own one. 👎
Not quite every person.

Would I want a GT-R as my everyday car? No, it's far too expensive to keep running and I would be constantly afraid about something happening to it. The same goes for the Ferraris and the Paganis. Would I want a Civic? Err, no. The car is a means of transporting (sometimes a lot) stuff from place A to place B and the Civic is too small. Would I want a rotary? No, for the combined reasons of the earlier ones. The German trio? Well, the Audi 6-series Avant would do but it still wouldn't be my style and it would scream expensive wherever it goes. Give me the Volvo XC70, it does everything I want a car to do and it still does it with style. I must be more than a bit nuts but that's my dream car. And I think I have to admit that I'm quickly becoming a huge Volvo wagon fan. Well, we didn't have one of those here before so now the spot is filled. :p
 
Not quite every person.

Would I want a GT-R as my everyday car? No, it's far too expensive to keep running and I would be constantly afraid about something happening to it. The same goes for the Ferraris and the Paganis. Would I want a Civic? Err, no. The car is a means of transporting (sometimes a lot) stuff from place A to place B and the Civic is too small. Would I want a rotary? No, for the combined reasons of the earlier ones. The German trio? Well, the Audi 6-series Avant would do but it still wouldn't be my style and it would scream expensive wherever it goes. Give me the Volvo XC70, it does everything I want a car to do and it still does it with style. I must be more than a bit nuts but that's my dream car. And I think I have to admit that I'm quickly becoming a huge Volvo wagon fan. Well, we didn't have one of those here before so now the spot is filled. :p

Excellent, nice job. BTW, I know someone who exclusively races Volvo wagons in destruction derbys so I better keep you 2 apart.:sly: Does this mean that Volvo is coming to MFT?:dopey:
 
I'm a big person, and despite what other big people like to claim, my legs are cramped in any hatch back I've been in the back seat of (too many), so what point is having a back seat if it's only good for 10min trips down the road with passengers on board?

Guess it depends on the hatchback and it depends on who's sitting where. I'm only 5'9" tall (172cm ish I think) and even in my Fiesta I don't have much trouble with people sitting behind me even if they're really tall. Most Euro hatches are quite big in the back and you'd only struggle if you had a tall rear passenger sitting behind a tall driver. Most Euro hatches have more rear space than a 3-series.

It's a common misconception of people used to big cars that anything smaller than a 5-series doesn't have anywhere near enough space for people and luggage, which is completely untrue as Europeans have been coping more than well enough with smaller cars for decades.
 
It's a common misconception of people used to big cars that anything smaller than a 5-series doesn't have anywhere near enough space for people and luggage, which is completely untrue as Europeans have been coping more than well enough with smaller cars for decades.

Hasn't the Jazz won awards for it's practicality?
 
nd 4 holden spd... Calm down, and let people vote for what they want.

How is the Renault more practicle you say? Easier on the gas, easier to find of parking spot, has more interior room then a Crown Victoria (I read this somewhere and I'm not intierly sure its true), easier on insurance, and it has something the Holden doesn't ... A Best in Class title ;)
 
Guess it depends on the hatchback and it depends on who's sitting where. I'm only 5'9" tall (172cm ish I think) and even in my Fiesta I don't have much trouble with people sitting behind me even if they're really tall. Most Euro hatches are quite big in the back and you'd only struggle if you had a tall rear passenger sitting behind a tall driver. Most Euro hatches have more rear space than a 3-series.

It's a common misconception of people used to big cars that anything smaller than a 5-series doesn't have anywhere near enough space for people and luggage, which is completely untrue as Europeans have been coping more than well enough with smaller cars for decades.

I was just able to fit in the back of a Focus with a small lady in the back. It was actually a customer we were picking up, and before we got her I was in the front passenger seat, so I pushed the seat forward so my knees were practically putting big dents in the glovebox.:sly: That way I was able to fit in the back. A problem I notice with nearly all cars these days is rear headroom, I guess you need a big wagon for that.

Edit: Yes Prosthetic, it's cheap and easy to drive, I'll give it that. I wouldn't be entirely sure on the insurance part though, this is Australia's most common car, so down here it's likely cheaper than many things. I can't wait for the next Brisbane Motor Show, when I get to check out all the new cars again.
 
Last edited:
Oh dear, please read the wiki page on that last model GTO or something, you need to have your facts set straight on that one. The GTO is a rebadged Holden which in turn is more or less a Commodore coupe.

I did what you said and it's still not coming to me, the Commodore is like the souped-up version of the Monaro
 
I did what you said and it's still not coming to me, the Commodore is like the souped-up version of the Monaro

You said that the Monaro is a re-badged GTO... Which is wrong because it's the other way around. The Monoro came first.
 
Hasn't the Jazz won awards for it's practicality?

Very probably.

has more interior room then a Crown Victoria (I read this somewhere and I'm not intierly sure its true)

I think it probably is true. I've been in the back of a Crown Vic (one of the P71 Interceptors converted to a taxi, as most seem to live out their days) and the lack of space for such a huge car was shocking. I'd still have one though :sly:
 
I did what you said and it's still not coming to me, the Commodore is like the souped-up version of the Monaro

Is this backwards day? Did I miss something? The Monaro is a 2 door Commodore (the modern one), and the GTO is a rebadged Monaro.

Quoted by Wiki
The Pontiac GTO was relaunched in the United States in 2004, based on the Holden Monaro's V platform. The Monaro is a 2 door coupe variant of the Australian developed VT/VX Holden Commodore. The GTO was produced by GM's Holden subsidiary in the suburb of Elizabeth, South Australia.
 
I did what you said and it's still not coming to me, the Commodore is like the souped-up version of the Monaro
Man, you must be retarded or something. Each of your post in this thread just doesn't make sense.....

The Holden Commodore is now way in shape, size, looks and performance as the old and new Pontiac GTO. If you were saying about the Monaro, it has no resemblance to the old GTO, and the newer one is based of the Australian GTO. Look it up on wikipedia (if you even know what wikipedia is) and tell me your wrong.

Click this link if you think you are smart.

:)
 
Man, you must be retarded or something. Each of your post in this thread just doesn't make sense.....

Someone posts some wrong information thinking it's true and you think he's retarded.

Well done, Muzaffar.👎
 
Man, you must be retarded or something. Each of your post in this thread just doesn't make sense.....

The Holden Commodore is now way in shape, size, looks and performance as the old and new Pontiac GTO. If you were saying about the Monaro, it has no resemblance to the old GTO, and the newer one is based of the Australian GTO. Look it up on wikipedia (if you even know what wikipedia is) and tell me your wrong.

Click this link if you think you are smart.

:)

Your avatar might be cute, but no need to flame the poor guy, he'll figure it out soon.
 
Someone posts some wrong information thinking it's true and you think he's retarded.

Well done, Muzaffar.👎

He doesn't take other peoples point seriously, what else do you want me to say to him nutbag? :rolleyes: Anyways, I apologize gator of kana if I offended you..... :guilty:
 
Back