2008 Best Car Series: Holden Commodore vs Renaultsport Megane R26

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 141 comments
  • 6,570 views

Aussie vs Frenchie


  • Total voters
    79
  • Poll closed .
Commodore. It looks miles cooler, and it performs more to my taste. Not to mention it doubles as a full-size sedan. And it's sold in the States, so I could actually own one if I had the money. The R26 seems like a very fun car too, just not enough to earn my vote.

Was that Megane pic the one on Top Gear, when Jeremy commented on how one of the guys looked "happy to see the car" when they were standing on this side of it? :lol:
 
Heh heh heh, nutbag, I've got to use that methinks.:sly:

I find it so fascinating that with all these votes and we get completely different cars they are all so close.
 
Man, you must be retarded or something. Each of your post in this thread just doesn't make sense.....

The Holden Commodore is now way in shape, size, looks and performance as the old and new Pontiac GTO. If you were saying about the Monaro, it has no resemblance to the old GTO, and the newer one is based of the Australian GTO. Look it up on wikipedia (if you even know what wikipedia is) and tell me your wrong.

Click this link if you think you are smart.

:)

That really hurt my feelings :( It's not my fault I don't understand how it goes, I'll get it soon
 
Was that Megane pic the one on Top Gear, when Jeremy commented on how one of the guys looked "happy to see the car" when they were standing on this side of it? :lol:

Nope, but not far off.
photo_media_en_13204_HD_ren.jpg
 
I need to understand how it goes, I don't want to get my car knowledge screwed up

OK, Holden builds the Commodore essentially by themselves (although before the 2007 VE Commodore it was actually based on an Opel which Holden completely tore down and restructured to suit them), then a while back they came up with the idea of reviving the Monaro nameplate by making a 2 door version of the Commodore, which they did. When Bob Lutz (high ranking excutive for General Motors) drove one of these new Monaros he decided he wanted to get some in USA as the Pontiac GTO. Hence, they put a Pontiac nose on the Monaro and were sold in USA as the Pontiac GTO.

Edit: Assuming we have that sorted I can go to bed now, it's 02:15 here.
 
Last edited:
OK, Holden builds the Commodore essentially by themselves (although before the 2007 VE Commodore it was actually based on an Opel which Holden completely tore down and restructured to suit them), then a while back they came up with the idea of reviving the Monaro nameplate by making a 2 door version of the Commodore, which they did. When Bob Lutz (high ranking excutive for General Motors) drove one of these new Monaros he decided he wanted to get some in USA as the Pontiac GTO. Hence, they put a Pontiac nose on the Monaro and were sold in USA as the Pontiac GTO.

Thank you and Muzaffar Musa, I forgive you, it's just that I try to be careful to believe what everyone tells me, you never know if someone is telling you something that not true
 
Last edited:
🤬 the Megane. The Commodore is where it's at:idea:
 
Hot hatches will almost always get me vote, plus I would have to believe the Megane is the better car here. It's sporty, it's practical everyday, and I don't really mind the look of it anymore. If they sold it in the states as something other than a Nissan Versa I would consider it.

The Versa was part of the problem in my decision as well. If that's the closest I'm going to come to a Megane, I'm disappointed. The Versa is a terrible car, especially when you can get the Rabbit and the Mazda3 for around the same price.

I really love the Megane, don't get me wrong, but on the global scale of "whats good," its really not even in my top ten. But certainly, if I could get one imported to North America, I'd likely have one just because its so different.
 
Voted for the Renault. The Megane R26 is one of my absolute favorite cars of the past few years. If it was available here, I'd of bought one of those instead of the Mitsubishi Lancer I have now.
 
I voted for the Commodore. It is a far more influential car than this specific Megane model. I'm sure the Megane is quick, fun to drive and all, but it just doesn't strike me to have any impact, like a great car should have.
 
I'm still trying to figure out how some members think hatches are not practical, if you are making comments like that I don't think I can actually believe you've ever been in a hatch back before. Also if you claim you can't fit anything in them either you are sadly mistaken as well. If I can fit people and stuff in my car and normal hatchback which makes a better use of its space would have no issue.
 
I voted for the Commodore, simply because it looks brilliant fun, more so than the Renault which is a brilliant car technically but it doesn't quite have the same character as the Holden.

Also, to back up Joey's point about hatchbacks, voteforthefiat500initsround yesterday I had my entire family (4 people) in my 500 with nobody feeling cramped up, and I had a bag of potatoes, a box of 50 chicken breasts, 2 bags full of magazines, and a bag full of Leeks in the boot, voteforthefiat500initsround with room to spare. It still got brilliant fuel economy and the tax is £30 a year. Then there's the ease of parking, the cheap insurance, the cheap voteforthefiat500initsround running costs in general besides fuel and the starting price. Oh, and it still has a 5 star safety voteforthefiat500initsround rating. :)
 
Last edited:
For some reason, I feel I have to vote for the Fiat 500 in it's round...
 
For some reason, I feel I have to vote for the Fiat 500 in it's round...

So do I and I don't think I even like the car all that much.
 
Must...vote...Fiat...
 
I've never heard of dealer mark-ups in Australia. The bang for buck still stands against every other sedan that competes (bar Falcon). Eg. You will get an SS for a V6 Euro, and the W427 is far far cheaper than any other 500hp Euro. Americans and Japanese don't have any sedans in that bracket to speak of. And no, the fox-chassis will not beat a Commodore, except on the drag strip where you would still need a number of modifications which this thread is hardly about.
Oh, and any Commodore bar the W427 will only go down in price as a usedie. I'd like to see you match it for less than the price, and keep in mind this thread is about new cars, otherwise I could buy a VX SS and fit a supercharger for ~$25k or less in $AUD and have a 100% lethal car.

The thing is... In the price class, it's the only RWD. Looking at vehicles around the same size and RWD, you'll notice they're all luxury sedans from BMW and Benz.

Now then... My point was more that the Commodore, Falcon, G8, etc, can be equaled with an older RWD sedan quite easily in every aspect whereas the Renault cannot be quite as easily. The Renault isn't just a decent base with a bit of extra in everything tossed at it, it is absolute top of class. And that takes some doing.

In performance the Commodore has to worry about the M and AMG beasts, and every single midsize sedan to worry about in comfort and refinement.
 
Were you TRYING to make this a more lopsided poll with that Renault pic? lol Holden no contest.
 
I'm still trying to figure out how some members think hatches are not practical, if you are making comments like that I don't think I can actually believe you've ever been in a hatch back before. Also if you claim you can't fit anything in them either you are sadly mistaken as well. If I can fit people and stuff in my car and normal hatchback which makes a better use of its space would have no issue.

I'm with you, hatches are the epitome of practicality. They are small estate cars which were designed for the sheer POINT of practicality. Both of my Focus' (Focii?) were infinitely more practical than anything else I've owned--and I've owned almost 15 cars (15 if I get that Z28 :D).
 
JCE
I'm with you, hatches are the epitome of practicality. They are small estate cars which were designed for the sheer POINT of practicality. Both of my Focus' (Focii?) were infinitely more practical than anything else I've owned--and I've owned almost 15 cars (15 if I get that Z28 :D).

I agree too and I've been in a hatch, they have enough room in them hatches
 
The thing is... In the price class, it's the only RWD. Looking at vehicles around the same size and RWD, you'll notice they're all luxury sedans from BMW and Benz.

Now then... My point was more that the Commodore, Falcon, G8, etc, can be equaled with an older RWD sedan quite easily in every aspect whereas the Renault cannot be quite as easily. The Renault isn't just a decent base with a bit of extra in everything tossed at it, it is absolute top of class. And that takes some doing.

In performance the Commodore has to worry about the M and AMG beasts, and every single midsize sedan to worry about in comfort and refinement.

Did you watch the Top Gear clip? Watch it.:p The VE would be really hard to match in handling and refinement using an older car, and there is barely anything that can legitimately compete against it brand new for the price.

As for the Renault, I'm sure a slightly older Focus RS could be bought and modified for the same price as the Renault and win. That same argument could be put to so many new cars, it's hardly an argument at all.
 
Did you watch the Top Gear clip? Watch it.:p The VE would be really hard to match in handling and refinement using an older car, and there is barely anything that can legitimately compete against it brand new for the price.

As for the Renault, I'm sure a slightly older Focus RS could be bought and modified for the same price as the Renault and win. That same argument could be put to so many new cars, it's hardly an argument at all.

Win perhaps but not with the same balance I bet.

Meh. Anyhow, the Renault does more for me I guess. In fact, I would vote it over the Falcon even, but then looks become an issue and the Falcon (unlike the Commodore) is not ugly.
 
Win perhaps but not with the same balance I bet.

Meh. Anyhow, the Renault does more for me I guess. In fact, I would vote it over the Falcon even, but then looks become an issue and the Falcon (unlike the Commodore) is not ugly.

Correction, the Commodores looks stunning, the Falcon looks bland, good, but bland.
 
To you mebbe. The Commodores look like garbage to me :p
 
Get a room, you two lovey doveys.. :lol:
 
Correction, the Commodores looks stunning, the Falcon looks bland, good, but bland.

You can't 'correct' someone's opinion just because it doesn't match yours :lol:
 
You can't 'correct' someone's opinion just because it doesn't match yours :lol:

I think you'll find.
communism-5705.jpg

we can.
 
Oh noes!

*Runs away*
 
Back