2008 European Championships (England not included)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 253 comments
Or the Congolese, Guadeloupian, Martiniquen and Senegalese playing for France.

Don't forget that those are all pretty much a part of France in the first place...

Another Netherlands fan watching the homeland play as Orange misses another good chance...

And those American announcers are starting to drive me crazy. No, I do not care about the amazing match America played in their 0-0 draw with Argentina.

Poland's last goal against Germany was scored in 1980. I saw Poland's test games before the tournament and they performed not very well. I expected a higher German victory, but I think Poland will beat Austria and Poland can also beat Croatia.

I remember that when I was younger my dad was watching the Poland games and he was always swearing at the TV.

Oh man what a goal by Ruud and crew.

That's a strange call though. It's not offsides because there was a guy behind the goal off the pitch, but does he count back there or what?

If he was completely off the pitch, he is not in play therefore the goal was offside. If the Italian player was coming back onto the field, though, it might be a different matter...

edit: Great 2nd goal, though!

OH MY GOD WHAT A GOAL BY SNEIJDER! WOW! That was awesome!

If he was completely off the pitch, he is not in play therefore the goal was offside.

That does not count for the defending team. A striker can do that to avoid offside for another player, but it doesn't work for the defending team. It doesn't matter where the last player is and why.

That does not count for the defending team. A striker can do that to avoid offside for another player, but it doesn't work for the defending team. It doesn't matter where the last player is and why.

Well that explains it. 👍

It should have been 3. Good save.

Ruud should've hit L1+Square.

edit: ESPN's recap is terrible. I can't stand Julie Foudi or this other clown who keeps saying Boophone. If it's true that the offsides exception rule doesn't count for defense, they totally didn't pick up on that and keep saying how the refs made a bad call.

WOW! Also, they just ran a promo for the Greece-Sweden game showing Greece the entire time and then with a graphic that says "Greece is back to defend their cup. Greece v. Sweden," and the announcer says, "GERMANY versus Sweden, tomorrow at 2:30." :lol: What a bunch of clowns.

Now I think about it, I'm sure you must be right... if defenders could just step over the touchline to put a player offside, then they'd probably do it all the time. Good call, RouWa. Strange how the TV pundits are certain that it was offside, though. Funny how Ruud van Nistelrooy wasn't sure whether the goal would stand or not, too...

hey totally didn't pick up on that and keep saying how the refs made a bad call.

I bet even none of the 22 players knew that. The German wikipedia entry for "offside" explains it, the English entry unfortunately does not. If a defending player leaves the pitch on purpose to avoid offside, he even gets a yellow card because leaving the pitch is an illegal action.

Don't forget that those are all pretty much a part of France in the first place...

In the case of Guadeloupe, maybe. Martinique, the Democratic People's Republic of Congo and Senegal all have their own national football sides...

OH, GIO FTW! Great recovery by Kuyt too. Wow, the Dutch just keep attacking.

And, of course, all credit to Van Der Sarr for making that awesome save beforehand.

Isn't there anything else on the telly?.... This game is so dull! :P

I feel sorry for Buffon, I think he's played very well, but the scoreline is very unflattering. As for Van Der Sar, though, he probably deserves the MOTM award...

Also, the announcers on ESPN finally got an "official explanation" about the guy off the pitch and they finally acknowledged the rule. I bet they feel so crunchy because it certainly sounded like it.

Don't forget about Sneijder either for MOTM. He got goal 2 and cleared a few balls in front of his net, and I think he set up Ruud a couple times but I'm not sure. The right back that Heitinga replaced also did a good job.

Actually, now that I see the recaps, I'd definitely give van Bronckhorst the MVP for that game.

Good match, I my support is behind Holland for the cup and I am delighted with the result. I missed the first goal so verdict, onside or offside?

Stunning second goal.

On that talk about double nationalities, let me just add that Pepe is also Brazillian.

Fantastic game by the 'guys in orange' :D. They made Italy bow down. Awesome stuff. 👍

Of course, they wouldn't stand a chance against Portugal, but still... :P

So is Portugal the favorite? I can't wait for the Spain match tomorrow.

I think Germany are the favorites, they're a better team than Portugal anyway, but on thier day one could beat the other as I'm sure the case will have to be since the odds are both will win their groups and both will get to the semi's. Holland are good enough, as they showed today (though a lot just went right for them today and not much went right for Italy), they have the fire power. I'd love to see them paly 2 up front at some point, Ruud and Klas together would be interesting, but one of thoes with Van Persie might be more effective with more of a contrast in styles. Other than that, Italy are a good, albeit aging side, Spain are a good bet though they have a tendancy to underachieve, like Holland.

Do you guys think the Italy game would've been any different if they had Cannavaro on the pitch?

They were just so clumsy and full of crap, with panucci laying out of bounds being a good example. Also, does anyone think Luca Toni is extremely overrated? I've never seen him do anything good with the ball, and the commentators always treat him like some kind of Italian miracle.

Damn, should have posted in this thread much sooner..... :guilty:
Anyways, I just don't believe how Italy lost to Holland 3-0. I mean, for the 2006 World Cup winners losing out like this, something seriously wrong has happened. I don't know if its true but Italy's players are getting old. Almost half of the players in the team are 30+. :eek: Holland has many new young players out there, and their youths did show their pace against Italy. 👍

So is Portugal the favorite? I can't wait for the Spain match tomorrow.
Yes and I can't wait either. :D

Good match, I my support is behind Holland for the cup and I am delighted with the result. I missed the first goal so verdict, onside or offside?

Stunning second goal.

Definite off side, although the other two goals were brilliant. I want Holland to win it.

Latest Posts

Back