2008 European Championships (England not included)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 253 comments
RouWa was right, and the goal was not offside because there was an Italian player behind the goal line...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/italy/7371086.stm

Still, Italy got their asses handed to them good and proper last night. Holland were superb and on that form they are pretty irresistable. Although it is early doors, that performance was easily the best of the tournament by a very long way! France, on the other hand, were simply diabolical... if they play like that against Holland, and Holland reproduce that level of skill and adventure, then France are in for a major whooping...

Damn, should have posted in this thread much sooner..... :guilty:
Anyways, I just don't believe how Italy lost to Holland 3-0. I mean, for the 2006 World Cup winners losing out like this, something seriously wrong has happened. I don't know if its true but Italy's players are getting old. Almost half of the players in the team are 30+. :eek: Holland has many new young players out there, and their youths did show their pace against Italy. 👍

Yeah, they were totally out-played and run ragged. Italy has never lost by 3 goals.

Italy has never lost by 3 goals.
Not quite, on October 15th 1983 the Italians lost in Naples from Sweden by three goals also (0 - 3). This was an EC qualifier.

Not quite, on October 15th 1983 the Italians lost in Naples from Sweden by three goals also (0 - 3). This was an EC qualifier.

Well apparently that makes ESPN wrong again. Perhaps it's because it was a qualifier.

So is Portugal the favorite?

One of the favorites. Like Mourinho said: "the best team will win the league, but tournaments are a different story".

Portugal has many extremely good individual players, but that does not mean they have the best team. For example England has probably more star players than any other team in the world, but they didn't make it. I think half of the teams can win the cup. And with a little bit of luck there is even a chance for the other ones (like Greece in 2004).

1-0 Spain. Excellent vision by Torres.

edit: OH MY! Russia almost equalized. Wow. And then Torres almost gets another one. Hahahaha.

edit 2: OH, WHAT A GOAL BY VILLA! Excellent assist by Iniesta. Wow.

Gah! My bet on Podolski to be top scorer in the tournament is looking dodgy already.... amazing to score a hattrick in the opening game of the tournament. Spain are looking good - playing like a team for a change!

Gah! My bet on Podolski to be top scorer in the tournament is looking dodgy already.... amazing to score a hattrick in the opening game of the tournament. Spain are looking good - playing like a team for a change!

Except their defense (or at least the set piece defense) is more dodgy than your bet.

Gah! My bet on Podolski to be top scorer in the tournament is looking dodgy already.... amazing to score a hattrick in the opening game of the tournament.

MUAHAHAHAAA!!! :dunce:

I mean, bummer, dude... :indiff:

But you're right; Spain played like a team for once. Not an awesome game, but fun to watch.
Damn, Puyol doesn't look like he's 64, I've always admired that guy on the field. 👍

Wow, that's pretty good... I have Podolski at 22-1 and my logic is that Germany will make the final whereas Spain might only get the the Quarters, esp. since they are in the "hard" half of the draw...

I have Podolski at 22-1 and my logic is that Germany will make the final

Wait until the game against Austria. That should end two digit. :)

euroya3.jpg

:D

Wow, Spain just won 4-1 against Russia with Villa scoring a hat trick. I wish Torres got to score more than Villa, but Torres did an outstanding job with some great assists! 👍 Yeah, wish they can make it to the semis..... but I still want Portugal to win EURO!!!!! cheers:

Oh man, what a goal by Ronaldo. I hope the Czechs can equalize again because they've played an awesome game.

And that 3rd goal was B.S. Totally offsides.

Woot! :)👍

Seriously, the referee for this game just plain sucked. Czechs had a number of aggressions that the ref 'failed to see', while blowing the whistle every time a Czech player took a dive.
Just plain awful, imho.

Is anyone watching the Switzerland Turkey game? It's soaked! The ball can't roll at all!

The ball can't roll at all!

Did you see the Greece game yesterday? The ball didn't roll there too, but for different reasons. That game totally reminded me of "The Simpsons" episode with the the football game and Pelé at the beginning.

Another quick sum up of mine...

Sweden vs Greece - Nil nil for ages then bam its all over in the space of like 10 mins! Really quite surprising but was only really good at the end.

Switzerland Vs Turkey - Amazing game, crazy conditions, in the end it seemed they were just falling all over the place to score, it didnt look pretty but was very entertaining and a few great moves..

Robin

Oh man, what a goal by Ronaldo. I hope the Czechs can equalize again because they've played an awesome game.

And that 3rd goal was B.S. Totally offsides.
Well it doesn't matter, Portugal is so totally going to the quarter finals!!!!! :D But yeah, Ronaldo's goal was just spectacular. 👍

Good news, I have a bet on Croatia to win the tournament, and they are betting Germany 2-0 :D

Bad news, I have a bet on Podolski to win top scorer, but Germany don't look like scoring any today...

Croatia are looking good value at 12-1, though 👍

Congrats to Croatia (and to amar), great game!
I have nothing against Germany but I really like the Croatian team ever since their great performance at the 1998 World Championship (where, like Portugal in 1966, they were 3rd, loosing the semi to the home country England/France, which went on to became world champions; both teams also had the top scores of the tournament, Eusébio/Suker - and there was another coincidence, something to do with policemen's hats!!!).

So, if they don't meet before, I'd really like to see a Portugal - Croatia final:)

RUI

We still just need a draw and Poland must win. Croatia is through.

It wil be Germany vs. Portugal and Croatia vs. Czech Republic in the QF.

Back