2008 Singapore GP.

MagpieRacer

Premium
England
Wymondham, Norfolk
MagpieRacer
singapore_trackmap.jpg

And so it is nearly here, the 2nd new GP of the season and by far the most anticipated, Singapore, where, on Sunday, when 8pm local time arrives, the cars will set off for the sports first ever race under cover of darkness. Rain is also a possible threat meaning the race is anyones for the taking should a downpour occur.
110478.jpg

110472.jpg

110470.jpg

110467.jpg

Hard race to predict a result for due to the fact its a new track, its at night, rain could be on the way and our new GP winner Vettel will be hot out the blocks looking for more. Regardless, predictions?

I hope this better lives up to the same high expectations we had of Valencia....this will either be a race of brilliance or a snooze. Unfortunately, I think this will indeed be a snooze race like Valencia and that the whole racing at night thing will make no difference at all. Theres potential for a good race, but I doubt it.

Heres hoping I am very wrong.

Have to say, I'm really looking ward to this one. It's the night I go back to university, so with some luck I'll be able to land one of the televisions; hopefully Channel Ten won't be delaying the broadcast.

This should be an interesting race. Maybe Vettel can make it two in a row, if the weather co-operates.

Personally, I think the whole night-race thing is a gimmick, it's not going to make any difference. The race itself is what will make or break this, and my fingers are crossed that it doesn't disappoint to the degree that Valencia did.

Personally, I think the whole night-race thing is a gimmick, it's not going to make any difference.

oh, there's a difference alright.

- Driver's body adjustment & sleeping cycle

- Track temperature

- Overall atmosphere

- The fact that qualifying session is at sunset. Fluctuating Track temperatures is another new hazard

Not to mention that the drivers will have to get used to driving in the dark and possible visibility issues if the race starts when it's still light out.

Track temp will just be that of the British grand Prix, it's not like we get sun all that much ;)

I do think the change to a night race is much, much more of a logistical challenge that it'll ever be a racing challeneg, especially as it is a floodlit track and not car-lit.

Well after seeing the on board lap of Singapore on Youtube, its almost as boring as Valencia. (in terms of layouts and overtaking chances) But as it is a night race, anything could happen in the dark..... :mischievous: Lets hope it does rain during the race, should liven things up on an already challenging race. If it rains, I think Vettel could pull a double if things goes his way...... 👍

With this type of circuit, i figure Massa will be pulling another win out of his hat. Technical courses like these also suit the style of Alonso but Lewis is never one to be discounted so truth be told the race will be won or lost in Q3.

With this type of circuit, i figure Massa will be pulling another win out of his hat. Technical courses like these also suit the style of Alonso but Lewis is never one to be discounted so truth be told the race will be won or lost in Q3.
Lewis has to watch himself: his aggressive dives down the inside might work on normal circuits, but in concrete canyons he's like to put himself into the wall.

Wow. This track has less overtaking places than Monaco....

Also, did the guy in the rFactor video have an apex allergy?

Wow. This track has less overtaking places than Monaco....
Monaco has two: the Nouvelle Chicane and Ste. Devote if you're lucky. I'm seeing three here: turns seven, the ten/eleven complex and fifteen (why do they just number the corners? Names have so much more character ...), while there would be minor opportunities at turns one and seventeen. Plus, turns five and twenty-three/twenty-four look really easy to get wrong.

for this GP i waiting since the begin of the season. awesome, cant wait for this weekend. If its raining again and as the german press would call it "Vettel Weather" , then he probably hes a great chance of a podium finish.

Chris

PS: Anybody thinks that Singapore GP track will make it into GT5?

It's going to be an exciting weekend. The circuit looks awesome, except for the turns 10 and 11, which look rather awkward.

If it rains it could be a good race. If it's dry it will be a dull procession with the result determined by pit stops. I hope I'm wrong in that assessment but I doubt it.

Well... we could slick up the track with some dry ice... would make it more fun.

I'm seriously bummed that I didn't buy tickets to this... I had enough money, but even though my wife gave me the go-ahead, I didn't really think I could justify it to her... especially since good accomodations in the city were sold-out well ahead of time... rats.

It's going to be an exciting weekend. The circuit looks awesome, except for the turns 10 and 11, which look rather awkward.
Yeah, I thought that was the way the road naturally flowed when I first saw the layout, but then I saw the Red Bull video that was posted in this thread and was quite disappointed.

I'd love to see how a race would play out with that massive 300-degree corner at Suntec City as per the original proposal plans, but it was decided that including it would make the circuit too slow.

Can someone explain the point of the completely straight-line-able chicane halfway through the lap?

Is it like that in real life, or is it mis-modelled in rfactor?

I didn't notice it in the red bull video, which was darn awesome, by the way.

Last edited:
Lewis has to watch himself: his aggressive dives down the inside might work on normal circuits, but in concrete canyons he's like to put himself into the wall.

Of course because he's never done well at Monaco (the original F1 concrete canyon) has he.

Oh wait.......

Scaff

Of course because he's never done well at Monaco (the original F1 concrete canyon) has he.

Oh wait.......

Scaff

I like this post. I like it a lot 👍

of course you do realise it'll be raining here - what chance will Lewis stand in a concrete canyon, in the wet? What if he were to bust a back tyre on the wall and have to go in to get it changed?

Oh wait.......

har har! I could go on like this all day :sly:

This bit?

It looks like a safety hazard to me. Cars could get launched over the kerb, straight into a wall.

Yeah, looks even worse in real life! (sorry, the pictures in the first post didn't load when I looked at this thread earlier).

Last edited:
Monaco has two: the Nouvelle Chicane and Ste. Devote if you're lucky. I'm seeing three here: turns seven, the ten/eleven complex and fifteen (why do they just number the corners? Names have so much more character ...), while there would be minor opportunities at turns one and seventeen. Plus, turns five and twenty-three/twenty-four look really easy to get wrong.

I think most names come after several years of racing, nicknames given by those attending the event, and of course named after drivers that have driven there. There will probably some named corners here after a few years.

Back