2008 Singapore GP.

Of course because he's never done well at Monaco (the original F1 concrete canyon) has he.

Oh wait.......

Scaff

and he hit the wall there and was lucky that the race played into his hands from that incident.

and he hit the wall there and was lucky that the race played into his hands from that incident.

Every time he's raced there?

2005, F3 Euroseries: 1st
2006, GP2: 1st
2007, F1: 2nd
2008, F1: 1st

Sometimes you need a little luck, as Vettel would attest too.

On topic, I'm indifferent to the thought of the coming GP - prehaps Valencia has left me jaded. Hoping for a good race though (of course).

I've got a horrible feeling that the race will be terrible. All the floodlighting cancels out the idea of night-time. And everyone will be driving really carefully and slowly, Just like in Valencia.

A night race might be an interesting change to F1, I just got to check what time it will be here. Is it about the same as the European races (9AM in Brazil)?

A night race might be an interesting change to F1, I just got to check what time it will be here. Is it about the same as the European races (9AM in Brazil)?

It should be because I do believe the races is at 1pm over here. :)

Roo
Why? They cope with 24 hour races just fine.

Yeah but the 24 hours photogs have the equipment, whereas some F1 photogs are gonna have to modify their arsenal. It's also a lot more up-close-and-personal.

Thanks for sharing the video and photos with us, it's made me quite excited. I'm hopping on a plane over to Singapore after work today for the whole race weekend! Will definately be checking back here for the best info though!

I'm back for good after Hurricane Ike and over 12 days without power. Now let me chat about this deal here.

Just like the streets of Valencia, this race will all come down to who can adapt the best. This time, the adaptation process is going to be infinitely more challenging. Not just because it's another street course, but because... it's a night race. I bet you GT3 gamers didn't think F1 cars can race around city streets at night like when you raced Special Stage Route 11 or something, huh? To say the least, this is a video gamer's dream come true- a race on city streets at night. Name as many racing games as you can in which temporary street courses at night was offered to you. All major Gran Turismo games for one. Sega GT, any racing game that allows for racing at any time of day, that sort of thing. This is a dream kind of race for me because I would have never imagined that a race on city streets at night can actually come true. There was the recent Grand Prix of Houston track raced by the ALMS and Champ Car mostly, but that's not a traditional street course in which actual city streets are used. This one is what I would consider a traditional street course. I tend to think of Singapore as a lively Asian place. About as lively as Hong Kong, Seoul, Kuala Lumpur, or Tokyo. The fact that this is a street course event held at night that is a championship round only makes this one of the most unique races ever conceived. Let it be said that I love urban locales, especially those in lively and major cities like Singapore. It would be stretching it to say that more street courses should be raced at night as the city comes alive. Then again, it would make temporary street courses a bit more fun to be at if fans are all in a good mood and don't mind seeing a little racing action at night. Especially REAL racing.

My draw to Singapore is that it's the only other city-state with a race held in an urban locale (guess what other course I'm talking about. Hint- the city's name is the same as a Chevrolet car). Also the fact that those Merlions are very cool. Think "mermaid lion." They are these statues that usually shoot water out of their mouths like a fountain. Those merlions are the symbol of Singapore for what I know. Whoever wins this race on this track depends on who can adapt (as I mentioned earlier). Champions adapt. They take what is given to them and make due with what they have to win. If Manchester United or Real Madrid were down on outstanding footballers, it means that the other players will need to step up to try to win matches in the abscence of premier players. As if learning a new course isn't bad enough, one needs to be able to think about the possibility of rain. It's safe to say that you will need to expect rain (or at least chances of rain) in just about every race. Rain and darkness only equals calamity. Singapore is a lovely place, but it ain't lovely when it's dark and wet with speeds over 170 mph. Talk about a recipe for disaster. I'm pretty sure there's not an Easy Bake oven anywhere that would want to cook up such a thing.

I know one thing... I doubt Sebastien Vettel will go back-to-back. The race is pretty much take-your-pick. My "default" pick would be Lewis Hamilton, but it's anyone's race really. Could be anyone ranging from Lewis Hamilton to Kazuki Nakajima to even David Coulthard.

Everyone seems to be real amped up about the fact that it's gonna be in the dark, but from the pictures, it seems like it's gonna be floodlit to hell.

110478.jpg

Lighting like that is NOT your everyday city lighting. I think being held at night is cool and all, but I think that some people are overestimating the unpredictability and danger associated.

I don't see it as being that different to a soccer or rugby game played at night, to be honest.

I've considered the danger of racing at night with these kind of cars and this kind of course. I mentioned video games. Well, you have the "luxury" of multiple lanes of racing whereas this track seems to be a passing nightmare. To me, the all-time worst street course was the Canberra street course raced by the Australian V8 Supercars back in 2001 or so. I know this having played "Pro Race Driver." Absolutely no rhythm. Just more opportunities to crash your car and look stupid on TV.

These are factors I consider for street circuits:
* locale and surroundings
* the track itself
* the kinds of cars racing the track
* environmental factors (heat, wind, etc.)

I'm thinking that the environmental factors will be relatively low since it's going to be run at night. It may still be humid in Singapore, but I'd imagine the engines wouldn't have to work so hard in somewhat cooler conditions. I like this night race because it's different. It's like why I liked (sorry to bring up another motorsport) the NASCAR Nationwide race around Montreal in wet conditions. I even like this race because I usually like urban locales as well as nighttime anyways.

All of these are my own draws to this race. Maybe your draws are different, but those are mine as far as this race is concerned.

My views weren't meant to belittle yours in any way, I fully agree with many of the points you made, and you're entitled to think whatever you want anyways. I have no issue with that.

I just think that some people might be putting too much emphasis on the fact that it's being held at night. I personally don't think that it's going to have any impact on the actual racing itself, it's more for the novelty (and alignment with the regular start time for European, or rather any, viewers).

The conditions, or environmental factors as you put them, will play a bigger role in the race than the darkness per se, as I see it.

Another thing I was thinking of, maybe not really a factor, but if it stays dry, and given the humidity, could dew play a part? I was thinking in terms of other sports played at night, and thinking about cricket, it just popped into my head.

I predict the only overtaking manouver we will see is Coulthard doing a divebomb on Button in T14, sending them both on a trip to the pits.

A quick sketch of Singapore's circuit, made by De La Rosa:

01.jpg

I'm afraid it's all moonspeak for you, but that's all you'll get. :D

EDIT: Bah, I'll make the effort. From T1 to T24:

T1 - Brake at approx. 100m, cut the first apex at its maximum (literally).

T3 - Open 100% at the entry. (Take it as wide as possible.)

T6 - Full throttle, no problemo.

T7 - Brake hard at 100m, it might be taken at 2nd gear instead of 1st.

T8 - VERY slow.

T9 - Typical 90º turn, touch the inner apex.

T10 - A very complicated chicane, cut all the apexes, but mind the exit wall.

T12 - Not enough time to take this turn from the 100% outside. Try to reach, at least, 75%.

T14 - It's easy to block the front wheels. Slowest turn of them all.

T15 - 120º turn. Brake straight. (I suppose he means no turning while braking.)

T16 - It's important to stay on the outside and go straight for T17.

T17 - Take the apex at maximum revs (Or that's what I suppose "max rc." means.)

T18 - Full throttle.

T19 - A slow zone, 1st and 2nd gears, it's important to sacrifice time in T19 to drive faster through T20.

T21 - CUT.

T23 - Double vertex area, faster of the circuit, brake softly.

Last edited:
Webber just got some understeer and walled it in FP1. Yellow flag.

Alonso, Vettel and the Toyotas are surprisingly giving it all. They must be needing a good setup for this race.

But it's so damn frustrating to watch the live timing, and only being able to imagine what those cars look like in the dark. Only one more hour 'till the first pics come!

WOW the circuit and the cars at night look SUBLIME! The Speed channel commentators are saying that there is a possibility of rain this weekend, so who know who will come out on top. I for one see Alonso putting down some good times, and if rain comes then i am hoping for a good result for Renault. Arriba Nando!

It's not going to be dark! Floodlights are 4 times more powerful than those at a football ground apparently. It's surprising that it's taken this long for F1 to catch up with the rest of motor sport.

Edit: Although a blackout would be quite scary. I presume the floodlights have back-up generators.

Edit: Although a blackout would be quite scary. I presume the floodlights have back-up generators.

Two of them along with a last-ditch generator to back them up..

I have to say though, the track wasn't lit up as much as I expected during the Live Stream. Track looks fantastic though, looking forward to this one now. 👍

I think there are multiple redundancy systems in place.

The Macca looks 🤬 awesome at night!

*edit*

treed by 10mins!

Well here are the results from both of the practice sessions. :)

1st Free Practice
Code:
Pos.  	Driver  	Team  			Time		Laps
1 	L. Hamilton 	McLaren 		1:45.518	20
2 	F. Massa 	Ferrari 		1:45.598	23
3 	K. Räikkönen 	Ferrari 		1:45.961	24
4 	H. Kovalainen 	McLaren 		1:46.463	20
5 	R. Kubica 	BMW 			1:46.618	23
6 	N. Rosberg 	Williams 		1:46.710	25
7 	F. Alonso 	Renault 		1:46.725	29
8 	N. Heidfeld 	BMW 			1:46.964	24
9 	N. Piquet jr. 	Renault 		1:47.175	30
10 	J. Button 	Honda 			1:47.277	30
11 	S. Vettel 	Scuderia Toro Rosso 	1:47.570	28
12 	K. Nakajima 	Williams 		1:47.662	23
13 	T. Glock 	Toyota 			1:47.706	27
14 	S. Bourdais 	Scuderia Toro Rosso 	1:48.097	16
15 	D. Coulthard 	Red Bull 		1:48.517	23
16 	R. Barrichello 	Honda 			1:48.725	19
17 	A. Sutil 	Force India F1 		1:48.839	24
18 	G. Fisichella 	Force India F1 		1:48.906	25
19 	J. Trulli 	Toyota 			1:49.064	29
20 	M. Webber 	Red Bull 		1:53.703	4

2nd Free Practice
Code:
Pos.  	Driver  	Team  	 		Time		Laps
1 	F. Alonso 	Renault 		1:45.654	30
2 	L. Hamilton 	McLaren 		1:45.752	28
3 	F. Massa 	Ferrari 		1:45.793	31
4 	H. Kovalainen 	McLaren 		1:45.797	31
5 	N. Rosberg 	Williams 		1:46.164	34
6 	R. Kubica 	BMW 			1:46.384	36
7 	K. Räikkönen 	Ferrari 		1:46.580	25
8 	J. Button 	Honda 			1:46.901	32
9 	K. Nakajima 	Williams 		1:47.013	32
10 	T. Glock 	Toyota 			1:47.046	22
11 	M. Webber 	Red Bull 		1:47.137	15
12 	N. Piquet jr. 	Renault 		1:47.145	35
13 	S. Vettel 	Scuderia Toro Rosso 	1:47.300	33
14 	S. Bourdais 	Scuderia Toro Rosso	1:47.487	24
15 	D. Coulthard 	Red Bull 		1:47.640	31
16 	N. Heidfeld 	BMW 			1:47.760	36
17 	G. Fisichella 	Force India F1 		1:47.965	12
18 	R. Barrichello 	Honda 			1:48.009	25
19 	J. Trulli 	Toyota 			1:48.059	28
20 	A. Sutil 	Force India F1 		1:48.311	36

and some accompanying photos:

110932.jpg

110921.jpg

110914.jpg

Seems fun enough for everybody to enjoy. 👍

Intresting that the fastest time from the second session was slower than the first, perhaps a sign of the cooling track? Ferrari could be in trouble here with their tyre warming issues..

Bee
Intresting that the fastest time from the second session was slower than the first, perhaps a sign of the cooling track? Ferrari could be in trouble here with their tyre warming issues..
Yeah, specially if it rains. :nervous:

I was just waiting for a car to bounce of the curb and into the wall at the turns 10-11 chicane. It's the only part of the circuit I don't like, the rest if fantastic and I can't wait for the race.

Back