• 715 comments

RACECAR

Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
122433_alms_logo.jpg

2009 marks an interesting year of the American Le Mans Series with Audi for the first time since 1999 not doing a full schedule campeign, Acura Moving up to P1, The arrival of the Zytek Hybrids, Dyson and Mazda teaming up, Corvette Going GT2, the return of BMW, and possibly the arrival of the Ford GT in the GT1 class. This thread will be dedicated to this series with the latest news, race results, and discussions throughout the season. Before we get to it however, there one rule that needs to be stressed:

Keep It Mature
In fairness, Equality and with open mind, I ask that anyone posting in this thead keep their comments strictly adult and sensible. That means no insults or arguments towards other users. Bashing of this particular series in any shape or form is unnecessary and not tolerated. You do not like this series, simply stay away and do not post, period.

Now, let us count down to what should be a awesome year of the American Le Mans Series.​

Last edited:
I'm sure I'll be going to Lime Rock again this summer. Anybody else? I enjoy being able to walk most of the track to get different sites of the race. I get to see a lot of friends that show up for the race along with tailgaiting with whoever. Access to the cars is cool also. I know this is no picture forum but, here is a shot of the chicane, turn one and the pit action.
Thanks for all the info RACECAR, in the other threads as well.
1006018yd1.jpg

By kenny01gtp, shot with KODAK EASYSHARE CX7300 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-01-23

1006028bn4.jpg

1005988yz2.jpg

Well, I already have my hotel reservations for Petit Le Mans. I intend to get infield parking and the whole bit too.

I'm looking forward to another great season.

So, anything other than Vettes in GT1 this year?

Didn't see anybody else in GT1 on the ALMS page. Heard something about a Ford GT though. That may be LMS. I didn't realise the pics had the vettes in both. Here's something else. If I post anymore pics would anyone prefer that I thumbnail them instead.
1006019aw0.jpg

By kenny01gtp

1005996mm5.jpg

By kenny01gtp

Didn't see anybody else in GT1 on the ALMS page. Heard something about a Ford GT though. That may be LMS. I didn't realise the pics had the vettes in both. Here's something else. If I post anymore pics would anyone prefer that I thumbnail them instead.
1006019aw0.jpg

By kenny01gtp

1005996mm5.jpg

By kenny01gtp
You have the same camera I do!:dopey: Great Pictures

And the Ford GT program, Yeah thats to be run this season by Kevin Doran and Oliver Kuttner.

Also, Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning racing has Split.

Speedtv.com
Petersen/White Lightning Racing owner Michael Petersen has decided to turn the focus of his operation away from international sports car racing to international rally racing for the 2008 season. His team will compete under the Petersen Motorsports banner in the FIA Marathon Rally World Cup, which includes the canceled Dakar event, while White Lightning is searching for a new partner to return to the American Le Mans Series’ GT2 class in ‘09.

Winter Test Days to set the stage for 2008 season

AmericanLeMans.com
For those looking for a preview of the 2008 American Le Mans Series, the waiting is nearly over. The fourth-annual Winter Test at Sebring International Raceway starts Monday and will set the stage for the 10th season of the American Le Mans Series, one that promises to be the most competitive since its founding in 1999.
Tickets for the test are $10 per day. Access to the paddock and camping are not allowed during the Winter Test.
Fifteen teams representing eight different manufacturers are entered for the three-day test – Acura, Audi, Ferrari, Lola, Mazda, Panoz, Peugeot and Porsche. It will serve as a warm-up for the 56th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida, the opening race of the 2008 season.
Among the highlights of the Winter Test include Peugeot's North American debut with its diesel-powered factory prototype, the introduction of Acura's second generation ARX-01b chassis and the first public running of the updated Ferrari F430 GT.
Updated news, timing information, photos, audio and video from the Winter Test will be available at americanlemans.com throughout the week

However, you guys don't have to wait till monday to see the Acura. Look Here

Wheels Down Winter Testing is underway. There are photos at the Last Turn Club website. The Audi R10 set the fastest time on Day 1 with Peugeot not too far behind. Penske set the fastest time for LMP2 and were third overall in the time sheets. There are two more days of testing, and hopefully, more pictures.

[Edit]

How the hell did I miss this!? With all the recent talk about GT1 in our little corner of the forums, I'm happy to post that the American Le Mans Series has announced that Bell Motorsports will enter an Aston Martin DBR9 in the GT1 class.

Wheels Down Winter Testing is underway. There are photos at the Last Turn Club website. The Audi R10 set the fastest time on Day 1 with Peugeot not too far behind. Penske set the fastest time for LMP2 and were third overall in the time sheets. There are two more days of testing, and hopefully, more pictures.

[Edit]

How the hell did I miss this!? With all the recent talk about GT1 in our little corner of the forums, I'm happy to post that the American Le Mans Series has announced that Bell Motorsports will enter an Aston Martin DBR9 in the GT1 class.

Whoa! I didn't see that coming at all. Its been a while since I've seen bell Motorsports and it'll be great to see them compete again.

Say guys, what do you think about the new Acuras?

165127200819381359.JPG

165127200819381609.JPG

They're the same, except for the canards (correct term?). I've loved the look of the Acura since I first saw it.

Whoa! I didn't see that coming at all. Its been a while since I've seen bell Motorsports and it'll be great to see them compete again.

Say guys, what do you think about the new Acuras?

*image*
*image*

Good looking car. Although I'm not too crazy about Highcroft's new livery.

There looking good, but why is the body work so different?

Different from last year's Acura chassis? Or different from the original Courage chassis? Mulsanne's Corner has a few comments on the changes to the Acura compared to last year's chassis. It's the January 23 story. 👍

The Acuras look okay. Nothing special... I'm just pulling your leg. They're lovely! I, too, question the Highcroft livery, but I'm sure I'll be used to it. Only Pescarolo can pull off blue with bright green. I questioned the sort of learning curve for Acura, and they came to play in all races. I'll really need to see pictures of last year's car to know for sure what changed with these Acuras. My favorite color is blue, so I'll likely get used to remembering the blue and silver colors of Highcroft from last year's car. The body style of the 2008 car looks great. Perhaps Acura can continue taking out some trash in P2.

I'd love to see Acura try out Le Mans with their lovely prototype. If they get those invites, I'm sure they will be up against some of the finest P2 entries in sportscar racing. Acura's toughest opposition will be those Penske Porsches. It's going to be very tough for them to beat the Porsches. It would be like Saint Joseph's or Southern Illinois trying to upset Duke or North Carolina.

Other than that, can't wait for the ALMS to come by my hometown for some more racing as well as Houston's own Risi Competizione defending home turf.

I, too, question the Highcroft livery, but I'm sure I'll be used to it.

<snip>

Other than that, can't wait for the ALMS to come by my hometown for some more racing as well as Houston's own Risi Competizione defending home turf.
When they come to your hometown you will quickly agree that Patron is the greatest thing to hit racing. Well, if they do it like they do IndyCar you will. They set up a bar in the paddock and at Mid-Ohio they had a model walking around in it.
patron-400-03302007.jpg

And this was parked outside their place at Mid-Ohio.
normal_DSCF1187.JPG

Let's just say Patron knows how to put the sexy into racing.

I kind of think the livery on Highcroft's car is strange yet its cool. Its something different. I wonder Where's AGR?

JohnBM01
My favorite color is blue, so I'll likely get used to remembering the blue and silver colors of Highcroft from last year's car.
Or you could look at the Lowe's Fernandez Acura.

The Acura's definitely a nice addition to the LMP2 grid, though I'm not a big Andretti-Green fan. However, it's nice to know that there's a fourth on the way thanks to the Honda factory and Gil de Ferran.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/42793/
Awesome! another acura team. And is it just me or do the acura teams mainly have open wheel drivers? AGR has Bryan Herta, Fernandez for his own team, Highcroft has Stefan Johansson along with most recently Scott Sharp, and now De Ferran for his own team.

Awesome! another acura team. And is it just me or do the acura teams mainly have open wheel drivers?
That's because they can adapt to the prototypes more easily than a stock car driver. Watching the Rolex 24 a lot of the open wheel drivers that had gone to NASCAr said driving the prototype felt like getting back to their roots and long time NASCAR drivers said they had a huge learning curve.

I don't know how GT class drivers would fair, but if they are more used to GT class cars then they are more than happy to stick to the class.

I do believe that I have seen some drivers jump between GT and LMP classes without much trouble. My memory may just be making stuff up though.

Team PTG's cars for their 2006 effort were M3's from 2001, right?

Now they (Rahal Letterman) have a proper weapon to take on the strong competition in GT2. Next season should be very interesting.

Team PTG's cars for their 2006 effort were M3's from 2001, right?

I think so, Though they seemed somewhat different.

dougiemeats
Now they (Rahal Letterman) have a proper weapon to take on the strong competition in GT2. Next season should be very interesting.
Indeed, Though I think the teething problems that may pop up in its first outings must be put to rest before it can take full advantage.

I'm looking forward to going to Detroit this year for the ALMS event. I had planned on going in 2007, but a combination of car trouble, lack of cash, and lack of time kept me from going as I recall.

One wishes to see the battle between Porsche, BMW and Ferrari in GT2. Of course, I'm always going for the Corvettes...

I've been considering a trip to Road America as well, but thats a bit more expensive and requires a ferry ride across Lake Michigan.

I'm looking forward to going to Detroit this year for the ALMS event. I had planned on going in 2007, but a combination of car trouble, lack of cash, and lack of time kept me from going as I recall.

One wishes to see the battle between Porsche, BMW and Ferrari in GT2. Of course, I'm always going for the Corvettes...

You'll have to wait until the 2009 season to see BMW, but hopefully the privateer Corvette effort as well as the Ford GT and Viper teams can be competitive against Porsche and Ferrari. It should be a good race to watch in Detroit, regardless.

So, is there an official entry list for ALMS yet?
I´ve seen the 24 hrs of Le Mans and LMS lists, and they look impressive enough. Is ALMS something similar?

So, is there an official entry list for ALMS yet?
I´ve seen the 24 hrs of Le Mans and LMS lists, and they look impressive enough. Is ALMS something similar?

It's a speculative list but it gives you a good idea of the cars on the grid this season: http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/ALMS08.asp

(Who are we kidding? This is the ALMS. An official list is still speculative. :lol:)

Oh man this will be a great season! Go BMW! Did I really just say that?

BMW... not this season. But it will be a great season nonetheless.

Back