48	Corsa Motorsports		Ferrari F430 GT
61	Risi Competizione		Ferrari F430 GT
62	Risi Competizione		Ferrari F430 GT
71	Tafel Racing			Ferrari F430 GT
73	Tafel Racing			Ferrari F430 GT
77	Autoracing Club Bratislava	Porsche 996 GT3 RSR
87	Farnbacher Loles Motorsports	Porsche 997 GT3 RSR
007	Drayson Barwell			Aston Martin DBRS9

Note the LMP1 ECO Racing Radical SR10, powered by (bio?)diesel.

Wow, Radical has an LMP1 and its bio-diesel powered? That'll be interesting to see if they give the audis and the Peugeots a run for their money, if they last that is. And LMP2 as looking as spectacular as usual, though I'm surprised not to see the Gil De Ferran entry. Looks like GT1 isn't even worth watching anymore, though the news of Ron fellows driving the #3 car at sebring is a pleasant surprise. And GT2 is gonna be awesome with the addition of Corvettes, the return of Dodge, the aston martin and the debut of Ford GT. Can't wait.

I don't mean to put a damper on things but the DBR9 in GT1 is being loaned to the team by a collector so I can't see them racing that to its full potential.

And as for the Dodge, Aston and Ford in GT2? Those are GT3 cars aren't they.

Wow, Radical has an LMP1 and its bio-diesel powered? That'll be interesting to see if they give the audis and the Peugeots a run for their money, if they last that is. And LMP2 as looking as spectacular as usual, though I'm surprised not to see the Gil De Ferran entry. Looks like GT1 isn't even worth watching anymore, though the news of Ron fellows driving the #3 car at sebring is a pleasant surprise. And GT2 is gonna be awesome with the addition of Corvettes, the return of Dodge, the aston martin and the debut of Ford GT. Can't wait.

The Radical was a surprise for me as well. I had no idea about the project. As for the Gil de Ferran entry - the earliest we'll see that Acura on the grid is in April at Long Beach.

I don't mean to put a damper on things but the DBR9 in GT1 is being loaned to the team by a collector so I can't see them racing that to its full potential.

And as for the Dodge, Aston and Ford in GT2? Those are GT3 cars aren't they.

The Ford GT-R is developed by Doran/Kuttner for GT2 racing. We can expect more than one Ford on the grid later this season. The Aston Martin DBRS9, intended for GT3, is being used by the Drayson Barwell team temporarily until their Vantage GT2 is ready.

Minus GT1 (but really, it can't be helped) this is EXACTLY the sort of grid I like to see. I hope that the Radical R10 is a season long competitor either here in the States or in Europe, but even more so the sheer strength of the LMP field is great to see.

Here's my breakdown by class (Minus GT1).

LMP1-

In particular, I look forward to seeing if Autocon's CA07 is more manageable than their CA06h and what sort of improvement in result Intersport gains in moving from the Creation back to the Lolas with which they are infinitely more familiar.

LMP2-

I'm hoping for a good result for the very deserving Jamie Bach/Ben Devlin driven BK Motorsports Mazda-Lola. Even with Penske being the odds on favorite (actually, between Penske, Dyson, and Horag, a Porsche podium sweep looks very possible) I think that Mazda has made some ground on the Acura/Porsche battle and will start to shine. I want Zytek to do well if simply to be rewarded for entering into a battle generally considered the most intense in modern sports car racing. As Van der Steur proved, a pure privateer car and team has an uphill fight against the factory LMP2 powerhouses in the ALMS.

Speaking of which, could somebody at Van der Steur PLEASE fix that Radical? Even with Speedy Sebah's Lola Coupe and Horag's Porsche Spyder, I still think the Radical SR9 is the prettiest LMP2.

GT2-

If variety is the spice of life, then this is one helluva salsa! While it's a little optimistic to believe that these largely privateer projects are going to survive the punishment the old airbase circuit can dish out (let alone be at the sharp end of the grid) it's amazing to see this selection of some of the world's most desirable sports cars locked in competition with each other. Equally incredible is that there's more cars waiting in the wings since there are more Ford GT's under construction, more Viper Competition Coupes in development, the Vantage GT2 going on sale, and the Spyker's have a new lease on life!

All in all, I can't wait for Sebring this year, while I'm pretty sure that we won't be surprised by the class winners, I feel that the spirit of growth and change showcased in this year's entry list is more satisfying than nearly any other news to come out of the ALMS in some time.

The Radical SR10 (it's a typo on the entry list) is simply the Radical SR9 LMP2, modified to meet LMP1 regulations. The Team ECO diesel V10 is the same Volkswagen-based unit that Taurus Motor Sports attempted to use at Le Mans in 2004.

The Bell Motorsports Aston Martin is actually one of Team Modena's old DBR9s, possibly the one they used last year. The team absorbed Cirtek Motorsport, who used to have two DBR9s, so it's unknown which DBR9 went where. Modena's Antonio Garcia will drive the Bell Motorsports DBR9 at Sebring.

Also, the Autoracing Club Bratislava entry is a 996 GT3-RSR, not a 997. The team used the same car last year at Sebring.

The #61 Risi Ferrari is once again going to be run by Krohn Racing for Sebring and a select few other events.

I knew there was something wrong with "Radical R10" considering their current naming system. :P Also, is it even going to use bio-diesel? Or will they use the same fuel as Audi and Peugeot?

The ACB Porsche entry was actually my error - I'm glad someone caught it.

The Ford GT-R is developed by Doran/Kuttner for GT2 racing. We can expect more than one Ford on the grid later this season. The Aston Martin DBRS9, intended for GT3, is being used by the Drayson Barwell team temporarily until their Vantage GT2 is ready.

Ah so the Ford is a proper GT2 development.

I did know about Barwell getting the Vantage, but they must've got special dispensation to run the DBRS9. I don't think itll be well suited to GT2 unless they modify it. Its a lot more like a stripped out road car than a race car.

Ah so the Ford is a proper GT2 development.

I did know about Barwell getting the Vantage, but they must've got special dispensation to run the DBRS9. I don't think itll be well suited to GT2 unless they modify it. Its a lot more like a stripped out road car than a race car.

It's running under the IMSA "GT2S" guidelines, and has been modified with some DBR9 and V8 Vantage GT2 parts in order to make it more competitive.

Also, here is the ECO Racing Radical SR10.

Am I alone in thinking that seeing the Radical SR10 in action might give us a better hint of the gap between diesels and gasoline LMP's than watching the privateer gasoline LMP's versus the factory oil-burners?

It's running under the IMSA "GT2S" guidelines, and has been modified with some DBR9 and V8 Vantage GT2 parts in order to make it more competitive.

Also, here is the ECO Racing Radical SR10.

Ah yes GT2S. They'll be using it as a test bed for Vantage parts then to some extent. I'd like to see the modifications to it.

I might be getting to work with a normal DBRS9, thats being converted to run on E85, in a couple of weeks time.

Am I alone in thinking that seeing the Radical SR10 in action might give us a better hint of the gap between diesels and gasoline LMP's than watching the privateer gasoline LMP's versus the factory oil-burners?

I don't think I quite understand; do you mean that we'll finally see diesel vs. petrol on the same level (privateer)?

I might be getting to work with a normal DBRS9, thats being converted to run on E85, in a couple of weeks time.

Cool, any details on what exactly you'll be doing?

That's exactly what I mean, dougie. Just as we haven't seen a true factory petrol effort against the factory diesels, we haven't seen a privateer diesel against the privateer petrol cars.

As much as I dislike the diesels and do feel they've been given more than their fair share of "encouragement" from the ACO, I'm willing to say that the "equalization" between petrol and diesel that the ACO's trying to enforce may be a little skewed without an apples to apples comparison.

Figuring that, through what's been seen in the LMS, the Radical SR9 chassis is about dead equal with the Lola B05 chassis, we can then surmise that the SR10 will be just about even with the B06. At Sebring, we'll see AER's diesel in the SR10 and AER's twin-turbo V8 in Intersport's Lola. I'd say that without sanctioned engine "baselining" in the fashion of GARRA, this is about as good a chance as we'll get to see how diesel really measures up against comparable petrol technology.

Aston Martin is providing an LMP1 petrol effort for comparison.

I wouldn´t count that effort that highly. The "effort" is basicly their GT1 engine from the DBR9, and I somewhat doubt that they will be competitive to begin with.

Agreed. The Charouz Aston Martin/Lola, as great a car as it looks to be, is still in the apples to oranges category in that it's still a customer chassis powered by a customer engine (assuming that the ACO won't allow any other alterations to the DBR9 engine than the larger air restrictor).

Perhaps if the rumored Prodrive Aston Martin LMP1 designed by Gordon Murray is more than a flight of fancy, then we'll have a true factory petrol LMP1 versus the factory diesels, but for now I have to say "close, but still not quite" with the Charouz Aston Martin/Lola.

Aston Martin wouldn't run the LMP1 if they thought that the new ACO GT1->LMP1 engine rules weren't fair. There's no reason to assume that the DBR9 V12 can't be competitive (it is proven reliable and is notable for its top speed). Mostly the weight is an issue, but I'm sure with the latest Lola they'll be able to overcome this problem.

I wouldn't call the B08/60 just another "customer chassis". That's be like calling the Acuras "customer Courages".

I don't think it's like calling the ARX-01b a "customer Courage", but I do think it's bang-on for what Fernandez did with their LMP2 Lola B06/10. Use a proven customer chassis to test a "for sale" factory LMP engine.

Aside from that, I don't believe that the B08/60 is going to remain exclusive to Aston Martin, either. I wouldn't be surprised to see them motoring around with Judds and/or AER's before too long.

While I do have my doubts about how competitive the Charouz Aston Martin/Lola is going to be, I don't think we're looking at the next Lister here. However, I also don't think that this car is going to turn the oil-burner establishment on its ear. I think it'll take something more, like the LMP1 effort Honda keeps saying the ARX-01b will lead to or the Gordon Murray full-factory Aston Martin, before we actually see Audi and Peugeot looking over their shoulders.

I know it isn't exclusive to Prodrive (Vitaphone had plans to use a Maserati V12 in one, but abandoned it). However, I doubt Prodrive will leave the car "stock".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTveteran

Cool, any details on what exactly you'll be doing?

I'm afraid no, not yet. I still don't have confirmation that I'm going. But if I do get to go it'll probably be mostly just workshop/race prep work. I can't remember if there are any races on in the time I'd be there. But if there was I'd probably get to go to that too.

What would be your storylines for this season of ALMS competition? What will concern you the most about this season of racing?

Word is that without the partnering Champ Car event, the Grand Prix of Houston has been cancelled for the ALMS.

Wow. That's a big blow. Especially for Houston's own Risi Competitizone. Maybe we need to put a bid together to turn Motorsport Ranch Houston into the next world-class racing facility in the mold of Barber Motorsports Park and Miller Motorsports Park. That is, just to get motorsports in Southeast Texas flowing. This hurts, speaking as a proud native of Texas. So what if the race around Reliant Park is "just another street course race?" It matters for me because I get to know and perhaps see that my hometown is buzzing with motorsports excitement on a given weekend. So I'm very saddened to see this deal go away. Maybe something can be worked next year to return to Houston.

headin south on weds for my 2nd Sebring...look to be in Green Park by mid Thurs am. :cheers:

Petit will be my 9th this year, and with the exception of losing Houston, it looks to be a great year for the ALMS. the addition of some fine teams will make for a great season. Cytosport Lola after LeMans, Peugeot at Sebring and PLM, Creaton and Zytek for the "big" races, the de Ferran Acura afer Long Beach, Horag has a Porsche Spyder for the "big" races, the Astons are back to try and go at the Vettes in GT1, some great new GT2 cars; Vette, FordGT and an Aston, and one more time for the Panoz, my beloved car from Jackson County.

can't wait :D

Here's a whole batch of updates beginning with the latest news:

Audi Fastest so far

Americanlemans.com
Audi's Allan McNish got down to serious business Thursday morning at Sebring International Raceway with the quickest time of the week in preparation for the 56th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida. The Scot turned in a time of 1:43.195 (129.076 mph) around the 3.7-mile, 17-turn circuit that will play host to the opening round of the 2008 American Le Mans Series.
McNish's time came on his second-to-last lap of the 55-minute session. The Audi R10 TDI he will share with Dindo Capello and Tom Kristensen was a full second quicker than another diesel-powered entry, the Peugeot 908 of Stephane Sarrazin, Pedro Lamy and Nic Minassian. Third overall and in LMP1 was the second Audi of Lucas Luhr, Mike Rockenfeller and Marco Werner.
Saturday's race will be the first between Audi and Peugeot since the 2007 24 Hours of Le Mans, an Audi victory. Sebring also will mark the first race for Peugeot in North America.
New pictures including:

LG Motorsports Corvette C6
1723122008173293.JPG

Robinson Racing Ford GTR
171311200818485562.JPG

Primetime Dodge Viper GT2
1703102008195551781.JPG

New Peugeot Livery
171311200818521815.JPG

New Intersport Livery
1713112008185218171.JPG

New Corvette Racing Levery
1713112008185218671.JPG

And the top three for each class:

Code:
[COLOR=red]P1[/COLOR]
1. Allan Mcnish       Audi R10 TDI
2. Nic Minassian      Peugeot 908 HDI   
3. Lucas Luhr         Aud R10 TDI
[COLOR=blue]P2[/COLOR]
Timo berhard          Porsche RS Spyder
Ryan Briscoe          Porsche RS Spyder
Butch Leitzinger      Porsche RS Spyder
[COLOR=green]GT1[/COLOR]
Jan Magnussen         Corvette C6.R
Oliver Gavin          Corvette C6.R
Terry Borcheller      Aston Martin DBR9
[COLOR=yellow]GT2[/COLOR]
Jaime Melo            Ferrari F430 GT
Dirk Mueller          Ferrari F430 GT
Jorg Bergmeister      Porsche 911 GT3 RSR

Times will be added later.

So I'm not covering Sebring, Le Mans, and Petit Le Mans this time around. I really hoped to offer my own commentary and introductions. So I will play around with this deal. It's really amazing if Peugeot has NEVER competed in the United States. I've heard of some Peugeot dealerships in America, mostly repairing some. Hell, we even haev a TVR place here in Houston not too far away from downtown. But I think it's mostly a TVR repairing place, I hear.

Anyhow, on to Sebring.

The Sebring track is a great challenge. It's full of character with the mostly flat and bumpy roads. Some say it's an ugly track. If you want to go by this track compared to FIA-spec tracks or Barber Motorsports Park, then maybe so. However, I think it's a very nice looking track. The Spring Break atmosphere by college folk like myself make the experience more unique and more of a party zone. I'd love to go to Le Mans, but I'd even love to go to Sebring. Since the track is pretty much flat all around, I think it could be pretty tough trying to see all the corners while at high speed heading into corners. The long backstretch is usually fun as is the action on the front straight. And who can ever forget last year's GT2 finish? Houston's own and Texas' own Risi Competizione edged out in a last-lap dog fight. Wasn't it fitting that the fireworks were off for the Audi R10 TDI winning the race... while fireworks were going off like crazy between Risi Competizione and Flying Lizard? That was some awesome racing! Also goes to show that (speaking to sportscar racing haters) that sportscar racing can be just as intense as the averag bang-'em-up NASCAR race.

No racing in Houston this season. So I'll get to miss my opportunity to see my first real race of any kind (or did you know I've never been to ANY race in my life?). * The LG Corvette looks very nice. I'm normally not really fond of the Corvette C6 in looks as I thought the design could have been more like the C5 with most of the similar dimensions. I do think this is one cool car to look out for. * Finally, the Ford GT is on track! Well, it's been on track in Japan for the Autobacs Super GT championship in GT300. This Ford GT is an amazing car. I really envision if someone like Jack Roush would want to come up with a factory-spec Ford GT to take on the Corvettes. And if the Ford GT gets some sort of Le Mans invite, imagine Ford returning with an all-out effort to put on a show like the 1960s. In that same picture, I see the collaboration of Risi Competizione and Krohn Racing. I think Tracy Krohn is from Chicago, but has a race shop here in Houston. Welcome to the party! I think we seen the Risi-Krohn collaboration at last year's Le Mans, though we didn't win or finish. * I'd love to see an SRT-10 Viper created into a GT car rather than the Viper we've seen since the Performance Viper Coupe. My wildest dream would be to see the classic Team Oreca pilot one of the Vipers based on the newer Viper SRT10. * The new Peugeot livery looks amazing. I love the sky blue colors mixed with the white. I still think the car needs to be re-engineeered so that pit stops wouldn't be so long. Anyone who seen Le Mans last year and Peugeot pit stops would know what kind of issues there were. I seen the pit crew cleaning out the radiators and taking a while putting drivers into cars. It needs to be really re-engineered in my view. Otherwise, it's a great race car.

Keep providing information. Perhaps I can come up with my first ALMS "Fact or Fiction" segment with more info.

As result of Qualifying being canceled, here are your Pole Sitters for the 2008 Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring:

#1 Audi Sport North America Audi R10 TDI
1733132008193351968.JPG

#6 Penske Racing Porsche RS Spyder
173313200819383431.JPG

#3 Corvette Racing Corvette C6.R
17331320081947831.JPG

#62 Risi Competizione Ferrari F430 GT
1733132008193621250.JPG

Code:
[Color=Red]P1[/Color]
1. Rinaldo Capello, Italy; Tom Kristensen, Denmark; Allan McNish, Scotland; Audi AG R10/TDI (P1), 1:43.195, 129.076
2. Nicola Minassian, England; Stephane Sarrazin, France; Pedro Lamy, Lisbon Portugal; Peugeot 908 (P1), 1:44.271, 127.744
3. Lucas Luhr, Germany; Mike Rockenfeller, Germany; Marco Werner, Germany; Audi AG R10/TDI (P1), 1:45.090, 126.749
4. Jon Field, Dublin, OH; Clint Field, Dublin, OH; Richard Berry, Evergreen, CO; Lola B06/10 AER (P1), 1:47.358, 124.071
5. Chris McMurry, Phoenix, AZ; Bryan Willman, Kirkland, WA; Tony Burgess, Canada; Creation CA07-002 Judd (P1), 1:53.851, 116.995

[Color=Blue]P2[/Color]
1. Timo Bernhard, Germany; Romain Dumas, France; Emmanuel Collard, France; Porsche RS Spyder (P2), 1:45.220, 126.592
2. Sascha Maassen, Germany; Patrick Long, Oak Park, CA; Ryan Briscoe, Australia; Porsche RS Spyder (P2), 1:45.999, 125.662
3. Luis Diaz, Mexico; Adrian Fernandez, Mexico; Acura ARX-01B (P2), 1:46.029, 125.626
4. Butch Leitzinger, State College, PA; Marino Franchitti, Scotland; Andy Lally, New York, NY; Porsche RS Spyder (P2), 1:46.348, 125.249
5. Bryan Herta, Valencia, CA; Christian Fittipaldi, Miami, FL; Marco Andretti, Nazareth, PA; Acura ARX-01B (P2), 1:46.632, 124.916
6. Chris Dyson, Pleasant Valley, NY; Guy Smith, England; Porsche RS Spyder (P2), 1:47.567, 123.830
7. David Brabham, Australia; Scott Sharp, Jupiter, FL; Stefan Johansson, Sweden; Acura ARX-01B (P2), 1:47.819, 123.540
8. Fredy Lienhard Sr., Switzerland; Didier Theys, Belgium; Jan Lammers, The Netherlands; Porsche RS Spyder (P2), 1:48.522, 122.740
9. Juan Barazi, Switzerland; Michael Vergers, England; Jean Ravier, France; Zytek 07S (P2), 1:49.820, 121.289
10. Ben Devlin, England; Gerardo Bonilla, Orlando, FL; Raphael Matos, Brazil; Lola B07 46 Mazda (P2), 1:49.966, 121.128

[Color=Green]GT1[/Color]
1. Ron Fellows, Canada; Johnny O'Connell, Flowery Branch, GA; Jan Magnussen, Denmark; Corvette C6.R (GT1), 1:56.269, 114.562
2. Olivier Beretta, Monaco; Oliver Gavin, England; Max Papis, Italy; Corvette C6.R (GT1), 1:56.547, 114.289
3. Terry Borcheller, Vero Beach, FL; Chapman Ducote, Miami, FL; Antonio Garcia, Spain; Aston Martin DBR9 (GT1), 2:00.730, 110.329

[Color=Yellow]GT2[/Color]
1. Jaime Melo, Brazil; Mika Salo, Finland; Gianmaria Bruni, Italy; Ferrari F430 GT (GT2), 2:01.184, 109.916
2. Dominik Farnbacher, Germany; Dirk Müller, Germany; Robert Bell, UK; Ferrari F430 GT (GT2), 2:01.800, 109.360
3. Jörg Bergmeister, Germany; Wolf Henzler, Germany; Marc Lieb, Germany; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2), 2:01.831, 109.332
4. Allan Simonsen, Australia; Jim Tafel, Alpharetta, GA; Pierre Ehret, Santa Rosa, CA; Ferrari F430 GT (GT2), 2:02.227, 108.987
5. Johannes van Overbeek, San Francisco, CA; Patrick Pilet, France; Richard Lietz, Austria; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2), 2:02.238, 108.968
6. Dirk Werner, Germany; Marc Basseng, Germany; Bryce Miller, Hoboken, NJ; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2), 2:02.594, 108.651
7. Lou Gigliotti, Dallas, TX; Doug Peterson, Bonita Springs, FL; Marc Goosens, Belgium; Chevrolet Riley Corvette C6 (GT2), 2:03.630, 107.741
8. Uwe Alzen, Germany; Craig Stanton, Long Beach, CA; Nathan Swartzbaugh, La Habra Heights, LA; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2), 2:03.861, 107.540
9. Joey Hand, Sacramento, CA; Tom Milner, Leesburg, VA; Tom Sutherland, Los Gatos, CA; Panoz Esperante Ford (GT2), 2:03.931, 107.479
10. Darren Law, Phoenix, AZ; Seth Neiman, Burlingame, CA; Alex Davison, Australia; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2), 2:04.081, 107.349
11. Tracy Krohn, Houston, TX; Nic Jonsson, Sweden; Eric van de Poele, Belgium; Ferrari F430 GT (GT2), 2:04.933, 106.617
12. Paul Drayson, London, UK; Jonny Cocker, UK; Tim Sudgen, England; Aston Martin DBRS9 (GT2), 2:04.938, 106.613
13. Gunnar Jeannette, Palm Beach Gardens, FL; Johnny Mowlem, England; Ralf Kelleners, Germany; Ferrari F430 GT (GT2), 2:05.666, 105.995
14. Joel Feinberg, Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Chris Hall, Daytona, FL; Dodge Viper Competiton Coupe (GT2), 2:06.004, 105.711
15. Andrea Robertson, Ray, MI; David Robertson, Ray, MI; David Murry, Cumming, GA; Doran Ford GT-R (GT2), 2:06.527, 105.274
16. Miroslav Konopka, Slovakia; Mauro Casadei, Italy; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2), 2:14.059, 99.359

Back