2009 American Le Mans Series Thread

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 715 comments
Sweet! Do ya think you can get some photos of the Magazine page showing the quote?

Don't believe me, eh? :)

20ztowk.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't the guy who's blind in one eye? He really struggled at Sebring 08 if I remember.

Yeah, Paul Drayson. In '08 he crashed at Sebring, he crashed at Long Beach, he got crashed into at Road America and the cars was very unreliable. He's racing at Le Man this year though.

It's not a mystery team, Drayson Racing run the races.

Nope, this is actually a team that will race full time next year. Drayson is for Petit and Laguna only, not Mosport.

Aston Martin could be back with two cars – the Lord again, but with USA partners supporting (and driving) a second car – could be in the cards after Le Mans. The US side is a packaged-for-television deal that will launch for the last three races this season, and be full time in 2010. If it goes – and the pepper part of this salt and pepper package certainly talks as if it will – the drama (like overnight engine changes) will be followed in a “reality” television series, hoped to be on Spike TV, but not yet firm. With AMR preoccupied with its Le Mans prototype, Murphy suspects the on-track performance will be unchanged from the last time we saw the Lord and the Kid.

EDIT It seems that the deal hasn't come true.

Murphy told you about an Aston Martin deal that would bring two cars to the GT2 grid before the end of this season. It seems to have hit a snag. The Lord might still make it for two races, but that second entry’s gotten fleas (sorry, an inside joke based on an old saying), and won’t be around until at least 2010.

Last edited:
He looked fine after it all, but does anybody know how Boris Said is doing?
I haven;'t heard otherwise, but his face did look to be bright red where his visor would have covered. I don't know if it was just due to the heat in those cars or the engine exploding in his face causing minor burns tough.

Needless to say that was a heck of a way to end the race, and then ending under caution made it feel very anti-climatic after that.

I haven;'t heard otherwise, but his face did look to be bright red where his visor would have covered. I don't know if it was just due to the heat in those cars or the engine exploding in his face causing minor burns tough.

Needless to say that was a heck of a way to end the race, and then ending under caution made it feel very anti-climatic after that.

When he was out, I saw him pouring water over his head so ohter then being a little toasty, he looked alright.

Yeah, I feel bad for Brabs and Speed, loosing a race on a BS call. I hate when officials interfere in any sporting event in a negative way.

But you have to hand it to Boris, even though his car is a fireball, he had the heads up- ability to pitch it in the runoff, and not just leave it on the track, in the way of other cars.

But you have to hand it to Boris, even though his car is a fireball, he had the heads up- ability to pitch it in the runoff, and not just leave it on the track, in the way of other cars.
All for naught as they still called a full-course caution. Had he just bailed and left the car on the track the result would have been the same (plus a few eyebrows) and no one would have blamed him for it.

Congratulations to all the class winners. I actually found out who won before Sunday's airing of the race thanks to a feed I have using Opera. It's going to be pretty boring trying to kill time between this race and the next round at the amazing Miller Motorsports Park. This, in preparation of the mid-June classic at Le Mans.

I cannot believe I missed the ending of the Long Beach race, which is the SECOND time I missed the end of an ALMS race. The idiots at ABC didn't air the last 10 minutes of the race, because for some stupid reason, they aired the last few minutes of the Lakers vs. Jazz game. I'm taking this as a sign.

A sign that I shouldn't bother watching ALMS races anymore. It's not that I'm thrilled with the season, anyway, so I don't think I'm going to miss much.

I'll still record the races, but only jump ahead to the ending to see it before I bother to watch the entire race, only to discover the ending wasn't recorded.

The ALMS have comfired that the Corsa Motorsports Zytek Q10 Hybrid is going to Miller in May!

http://www.americanlemans.com/index_news.php?n=12877

At its next race May 17 at Miller Motorsports Park near Salt Lake City, Corsa Motorsports in conjunction with the Zytek Group will unveil the much anticipated Corsa Zytek hybrid. The car will race in LMP1, the fastest and most powerful of all the four classes within the American Le Mans Series.

I won't say I am surprised by this news, but it does make me happy to know that it is very likely I will see Audi back for the full season next year.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/24/audi-hoping-to-return-to-alms-in-2010/

REPORT: Audi hoping to return to ALMS in 2010
by Drew Phillips on Apr 24th 2009 at 4:00PM

r15sebring_lead.jpg

It was a sad day for the American Le Mans Series when Audi announced they were abandoning their U.S. racing program back in December. The German automaker had been a staple of the series since its inception, but with the exception of the 12 Hours of Sebring, which Audi won, and possibly a couple of races at the end of the season, the R15 TDI has and will be absent from the starting grid in 2009.

Things are looking up for next year, however, with Johan de Nysschen, President of Audi America, telling AutoWeek that his company "would like to" return to the ALMS in 2010. Audi has apparently retained the core members of the race team and intends to come back to the series if economic conditions allow. de Nysschen also claims that the 24 Hours of Le Mans remains a top priority, and it would take a lot for Audi to quit the world's most prestigious endurance race. "We've got a proud record to protect at Le Mans," he told AW.

So while Audi's LMP1 program is not in doubt, we can only hope that their competitive spirit leads to another full season of racing in the ALMS next year.

So what's everyone's opinion about the new Challenge class? I'm not quite sure myself as I just found out about it after stumbling across a replay of the race at MMP, but I guess my initial reaction is that I don't like it. All the cars are the same, so it's not really adding anything to the race but extra clutter.

The race was good stuff, great stuff at the end for the P2 win. Shame that Primetime's Viper didn't make it to the end by 3 minutes :(. Jon Field was Dynamite at the start AGAIN at Miller. Don't remember, well watch this.

My thoughts on ALMS-C is that its great to see some moar cars on track, even if its a expanded G3.

I went to the race last weekend and had oh so much fun :). MMP is an awesome facility! Here's a video clip from lap 2 or 3, as the cars come onto the front straight:

I was hoping that it would capture the noise better than they do on TV. Those things are nice and loud. It's such a wonderful loud, though :D.

Cytosport returns
Team Cytosport returns to the ALMS now with a Ex-Dyson Porsche RS Spyder. Sascha Maassen and team owner Greg Pickett will drive the car from Mid-Ohio till the rest of the season. Scott Pruett will be the second Rocketsports driver as well.

Cytosport returns
Team Cytosport returns to the ALMS now with a Ex-Dyson Porsche RS Spyder. Sascha Maassen and team owner Greg Pickett will drive the car from Mid-Ohio till the rest of the season.

Thats great to hear and it be good to see Maassen again. Also just found out that Scott Sharp is Greg Pickett's Son-in-Law. You learn something new everyday.

Scott Pruett will be the second Rocketsports driver as well.

Wow, really? After seeing him win today and now this?!!:eek:

Also:

“The Dysons really bent over backwards to make it an attractive deal,” :lol:

Van Der Steur Returns!

Their Radical returns for the 2009 Northeast Grand Prix at Lime Rock Park. GREAT NEWS!!!
I was jumping up and down when I saw this at the ALMS and the Speed TV website. At least no one else was home...

This means the amount of LMP2 cars would have increased by 66% from the original amount when the series goes to Mid-Ohio.

Apparently, factory Peugeot 908s will be at Laguna Seca and Petit Le Mans

Aston are also trying to enter a car at Petit Le Mans. That'll show Acura how fast a petrol P1 car can be.

I'll be attending the Northeast Grand Prix this year with an SLR camera! Now all I need to find is an entry list.

Anyone else going?

I found out the next race will be on the July 17 and 18 weekend. So here are the rest of the events coming up:

* ALMS Northeast Grand Prix - Lime Rock Park (7/18) LIVE on Speed at 2:00 PM EDT, 2h 45m
* Acura Sports Car Challenge - Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (8/8) same-day coverage on NBC, 2h 45m
* Time Warner Cable Road Race Showcase Featuring the ALMS - Road America (8/16) LIVE on Speed at 3:05 EDT, 2h 45m
* Mobil 1 Presents Grand Prix of Mosport - Mosport (8/30) LIVE on Speed at 3:00 PM EDT, 2h 45m
* Petit Le Mans Powered by Mazda 6 - Road Atlanta (9/26) LIVE^ on Speed at 11:00 AM EDT, 10h or 1,000 miles
* Monterey Sports Car Championships - Laguna Seca (10/10) LIVE on Speed at 4:00 PM EDT, 4h

^ = complete with complimentary NASCAR breakup during the event

So the race at Lime Rock Park will be the halfway point of this season. Can't wait for the ALMS to kick back into gear later this month!

Last edited:
Back