2009 American Le Mans Series Thread

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 715 comments
2009-drayson-lmp1.jpg

So the rumors were true! Just need to get more teams over for PLM. Some from Japan maybe?

When you have a series like the Asian Le Mans Series, why not expose your brand by racing at Petit Le Mans? So that's a good point. Much like how the ALMS ran some international rounds in its first few seasons (I know they ran at the Nürburgring [GP course] in 2000) in addition to that classic Race of a Thousand Years in Adelaide. I do get sick of people just saying Japan only has drifting and nothing else. It's something I've taken issue with in the game "GRID." Like, they do run circuit racing and have a wildly popular GT series and Formula Nippon... yet most just know them for drifting or only regard them for drifting.

If any team is a prime example that Japan has great sportscar racing teams, who won Le Mans in 2004? Right- Team Goh. Unless Team Goh has other commitments or doesn't run any other endurance besides Le Mans, they'd be great to have at Petit Le Mans. If there were commitments from the AsLMS (Asian Le Mans Series) as well as the Le Mans Series, we'd be back in 1999 and 2000 with lots of entries, like the almost 40 cars that ran the 2000 Petit Le Mans.

Long story short... yeah. The Asian Le Mans Series (let alone Japanese teams) need some representation and exposure. So come on down to Braselton, GA if you're interested!

If any team is a prime example that Japan has great sportscar racing teams, who won Le Mans in 2004? Right- Team Goh. Unless Team Goh has other commitments or doesn't run any other endurance besides Le Mans, they'd be great to have at Petit Le Mans. If there were commitments from the AsLMS (Asian Le Mans Series) as well as the Le Mans Series, we'd be back in 1999 and 2000 with lots of entries, like the almost 40 cars that ran the 2000 Petit Le Mans.

Long story short... yeah. The Asian Le Mans Series (let alone Japanese teams) need some representation and exposure. So come on down to Braselton, GA if you're interested!

If you read a interview at Endurance Info, someone from Team Goh said that they dont have future plans after the Asian Le Mans Series. If any teams of Asian like-ness were to come over, it would either be the Hankook Porsche or the Daishin Ferrari because they can easily be returned back to ACO Gt2 spec. Although seeing JLOC redeem themselves after the catastrophe after Le Mans would nice, and to see the Team Nova (Hitosuoyama Racing) use their DBR9 too, and lastly, Tokai University and their Courage and/or Dome/Rockstar (they teamed up with Rockstar for Super Gt) with the awesome S102. (Damn the Wii is so slow when using the backspace key, besides the point, I had to do it twice!)

AUDI IS BACK FOR PETIT LE MANS!!!!!!

With all the people, me included, wanting Audi back for PLM, we got our wish. PLM will be Amazing now.

Last edited:
Oh good, my $4 Audi hat I bought two weeks back won't go to waste now.

002_sebring09-630.jpg

Wow the Fields are fast down that straight but the Acuras are quick around the turn, Oh wait problem with the Field car thats to bad. Corvettes are doing pretty good too.

Thats too bad for Dyson too.

Last edited:
Well, I called this Earlier this year (on Batracer I believe) but Acura has offcially swept the LMP1 and LMP2 Manufacterer's championships and like I predicted, Fernandez/Diaz are your LMP2 champions. Petit Le Mans they could get another win knowing those Lola Mazdas still aren't reliable at the enduros.

FoolKiller
If I had to guess I would say one.

You appear to be right so far :)

Up next is Petit Le Mans later in September. Tell you what... cannot wait to see this deal. It's all flag-to-flag on Speed. You'd probably expect flag-to-flag on Motors TV or something, but great for Speed Channel to show this year's race flag-to-flag.

Up next is Petit Le Mans later in September. Tell you what... cannot wait to see this deal. It's all flag-to-flag on Speed. You'd probably expect flag-to-flag on Motors TV or something, but great for Speed Channel to show this year's race flag-to-flag.

I agree with that. The past few years the only way you got flag-to-flag coverage was through RadioLemans on Americanlemans.com after the live televised coverage. I really hope this means the other enduros will return with flag-to-flag coverage.

Well, I will be in attendance. I got my ticket on Thursday.

Bring on the awesome. I'm just glad I get to watch another Audi/Peugeot battle. Now, the question is: Will Peugeot actually bring a driver that can drive in the dark (the track is only lit on certain corners) and handle McNish? Last year it was a decent battle right up until it got dark and then lap after lap you could see the Audi pulling away until, from my vantage point at the Turn 10 Complex, the Audi would be out of sight and under the bridge, toward the final turn) before the Peugeot even appeared from behind the trees coming down the hill.

Of course, Petit fans treat Audi like the home team when the European guys show up. When Audi is just facing ALMS teams the fans are divided, but when a European team shows up they come together in support.

It probably also doesn't help that it is a French manufacturer racing in the south.

I watched the race today and it was one of the best ones I have seen. The GT2 class competition is really nice.

Because it's been too long a wait between the previous race and this upcoming race... Petit Le Mans kicks off this weekend! Have any picks or predictions as to who wins overall and in all classes?

im hoping for an audi come back after le mans and imhoping for a corvette win in GT2 though im sure that will but yet another restriction on the corvette if they do that.

I was the LMS at Silverstone the other week and Oreca won that overall so I'm hoping they'll go strongly. It does however seem the usual diesel dominance will apply here.

I'd like to see the Priaulx BMW go for the GT2 win aswell.

I am truly excited. This looks like it will be my first wet race to attend in person. I have the cooler, beer, ponchos and clothes ready to go. Now I just need tomorrow to get here so I can hit the road.

I can't tell if I expect Audi or Peugeot to win overall, but I will be cheering for Audi.

And I am thinking the Corvettes are too much of an unknown to predict how they will do, but I am a fan of both Flying Lizard and the Risi. I would rather see one of them win.

Expect pics and videos when I return.

I'm cheering for Peugeot, but can't get access to any feeds. Does David Brabham currently drive for Peugeot? Hope so, but their car's sexy body puts the R15 to visual shame.

Failing a Peugeot win, cheering for the Speedy Racing Sebah entry(s) (if they show).

I'm cheering for Peugeot, but can't get access to any feeds. Does David Brabham currently drive for Peugeot? Hope so, but their car's sexy body puts the R15 to visual shame.

Failing a Peugeot win, cheering for the Speedy Racing Sebah entry(s) (if they show).
Even though they are not part of the full season I expect Audi to still get the "home team" feel since they are a huge part of ALMS tradition, where Peugeot only shows up to test/butt heads with Audi.

If I had it uploaded I would show you the video I took last year where the crowd cheered on the Audi as it passed by.

I do always pull for the Peugeot to stay in the race and to stay even with Audi just so that it is fun. It's the closest thing to a rivalry we have in P1.

I also think the look of the R15 might have good appeal in the ALMS because it seems to have a bit of a mean or muscled look.

tn_M09%20Audi%20R15%20TDI%201.jpg

52678peu_450a.jpg

I'm not calling the Peugeot ugly, by any means, but it appears more sleek and finessed, while the Audi looks like it will eat something.

And while looking for those pictures I found this, which I think is very awesome:
Audi_R15_03.jpg

Last edited:
Even though they are not part of the full season I expect Audi to still get the "home team" feel since they are a huge part of ALMS tradition, where Peugeot only shows up to test/butt heads with Audi.

If I had it uploaded I would show you the video I took last year where the crowd cheered on the Audi as it passed by.

I do always pull for the Peugeot to stay in the race and to stay even with Audi just so that it is fun. It's the closest thing to a rivalry we have in P1.

I also think the look of the R15 might have good appeal in the ALMS because it seems to have a bit of a mean or muscled look.

tn_M09%20Audi%20R15%20TDI%201.jpg

470_peugeot8_lemans1_mtc.jpg

I'm not calling the Peugeot ugly, by any means, but it appears more sleek and finessed, while the Audi looks like it will eat something.

And while looking for those pictures I found this, which I think is very awesome:
Audi_R15_03.jpg

That last photo looks nice. And senamic, David is driving for Patron Highcroft as he is involved in a championship fight with De Ferran.

Do any of you maybe have some underdogs or upsets to win overall or in class at Petit Le Mans? If so, who are your dark horses?

Anyone heard any more on this? :scared:

Autosport.com
The American Le Mans Series championship-leading Highcroft Acura has had an enormous accident in the second practice session for the Petit Le Mans.

The car was launched into a horrifying series of flips and a violent impact with the barriers at Turn 2 when driver Scott Sharp clipped Dirk Werner's Farnbacher Loles Porsche, which was coming out of pits but was still within the blend line.

Sharp got out of the wreckage unaided and escaped serious injury. He was walking around and talking to marshals immediately after the crash.

It is not yet clear whether the Acura's chassis can be repaired.

"That's one of the biggest accidents I've seen," said Sharp's team-mate Dario Franchitti. "I'm glad he seems okay, because that was a big one. We go [IndyCar] testing for Ganassi at Homestead tomorrow, and I only hope they can rebuild it in time for Saturday."

The Acura's designer Nick Wirth was equally shaken by the crash.

"I am in a bit of a state of shock at the moment," he said. "I am delighted to see him walk away apparently okay from such a big crash.

"He appeared to hit the Porsche. I've not seen one that big before here.

"I'm just proud of the team that the car stood up to such a big impact. Don't know yet whether the car can be rebuilt, we need to get it back."

Sharp and his full-season team-mate David Brabham currently lead De Ferran Acura duo Gil de Ferran and Simon Pagenaud by 17 points going into the final two rounds.

Linky

EDIT: Holy Moly!

alms2009atljs0002.jpg

Last edited:
A Darkhorse there is is the LG Corvette. It has shown good pace in practices, but it isn't that reliable. The only other good one perhaps is the Intersport Lola, its as quick as the Oreca, who knew? And maybe the Muscle Milk Porsche, just depends if Massen Gets a lot of time in car.

THAT'S A BRUTAL HIT. Geez.

Wow, what a hit. I can only imagine if there is video of it that it'll be just brutal.

That crash was wicked. Maybe more of a vicious hit than Benoit Treluyer at Le Mans this year. Hope the car can be rebuilt, even if they have a backup car or something.

You guys will never believe this: The #40 Robinson Racing Ford GT of David Murray has qualified on pole for GT2!!!! I'm so proud of that team,I've always wanted that car to do well and finally, it has taken the fight to the big name teams. As most likely outlandish as this could be, I would love for it to win.

You guys will never believe this: The #40 Robinson Racing Ford GT of David Murray has qualified on pole for GT2!!!! I'm so proud of that team,I've always wanted that car to do well and finally, it has taken the fight to the big name teams. As most likely outlandish as this could be, I would love for it to win.

Reminds me of the Ford GT at this year's Nurburgring 24 hour race. Pole position but a bunch of SLOW amateurs sharing the car with a pro.

Apparently Audi tested the R15 and R10 together not too long ago and it turns out the R10 is still faster

If the Peugeot doesn't break down ths should be just as easy as Le Mans

I'm amazed by the speed of the Peugeots again, Capello in 3rd was 1.2s off the pace of the Pugs in 1-2.

For those who haven't seen the crash in footage, MT89 has put up footage of it via the Quali Session.

[YOUTUBe]I361oZvBqYE[/media]

I can't wait to see what happens in GT2, it may be like Sebring earlier in the year. In how the Acura just got hounded by the better cars.

According to Accuweather.com, this year's Petit Le Mans is going to be cloudy with a few periods of showers and thunderstorms at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia. Weather Underground ( http://www.wunderground.com ) is reporting showers and thunderstorms (90% chance) in the daytime, then a 50% chance in the night hours. Bring your umbrellas because northern Georgia could get a bit wet tomorrow. Things clear out for Sunday. Heavy rain possible on Saturday and even Friday night. You want to win Petit Le Mans overall or in class? You have to contend with Mother Nature!

Have at it, ALMS!

Back