2009 American Le Mans Series Thread

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 715 comments
And while looking for those pictures I found this, which I think is very awesome:
Audi_R15_03.jpg
The rest of the field: Uh oh.....:ill:

:sly:

A TUB is being sent from California to Road Atlanta as I write, they'll have it rebuilt tomorrow.
If it gets up and running like it was before the crash, this marathon thrash session will definitely be worth it. :)

Hi, everyone! LOT of action taking place so far. Some big hits, some tempers flaring, number of cars getting looked on in the pits, and the possibility of very inclement weather. So far, this race has been pretty action-packed.

was watching it on TV right before work, anyone have any updates on the #90 BMW?

At the moment, its still running. Seems abit slower then it was earlier.

Or if you have a provider, just tune into Speed's flag-to-flag coverage, which has been phenominal bTw :D

Rain makes for great racing... but NOT miserably heavy rain like in this race. Can't wait for this race to hit the airwaves again live.

Don't know if any of you caught this, but next season will end with the Petit Le Mans as the Laguna Seca race will move to... May, I believe. No St. Petersburg (FL) next season.

The race has just been declared finished.

For anyone watching a replay/tape delay, the last 4 hours never happen.

Yeah, Mother Nature won Petit Le Mans. It was still pretty action-packed for what it was. Rain is for road racing, but this was extremely miserable. I still wanted to see some endless action, but the weather was just too rough. I mean, what can us mere mortals do about it? I don't think anyone should be seriously disappointed. Nature just had its way today. Had this race been stopped for Saturday to conclude on Sunday, then it would be mostly sunny for any Sunday afternoon action.

I'm disappointed the race was called, but I still thought this was an action-packed race. I HAVE to declare the Patron Highcroft team as my big winners for building a car in a day and overnight, and still having it finish. I was thinking of CrashBroke23 when Primetime Race Group had that unfortunate wreck. This race had plenty of action even if it was stopped well short. Again, be disappointed this race didn't go all the way, but don't be disappointed in the amount of action because there was plenty. Sports are not always about domination; they can sometimes be about just being there at the end. Peugeot was there in the end as well as Risi Competizione. Congratulations to all three class winners.

That's all of my commentary for this race. Hope you've enjoyed it.

Well that was a huge let down. Atleast we got to see some racing though so its not a total loss, but I'm not speaking for the people who actually paid and went to the race :scared:

Just great, a enduro race called. Mother nature just had to screw things up:grumpy:

And while looking for those pictures I found this, which I think is very awesome:
Audi_R15_03.jpg

LMFAO at Audi... yeah we come in peace... Peugeot came to win...! LMAO.. Other tags for this pic could alse be:

"Our RWD line-up, yep despite our constant preaching about Quattro, our fastest cars are still Rear Wheel Drive...."

And yes the R15 looks like its going to eat something.... Defeat?

That off Feinberg had was brutal, they were doing so well too! One of the few times that my heart dropped more was when Sutil had the off in the Chinese GP. Such a shame that VDS and Eco Racing didn't end up racing. If VDS didn't have a problem, they might have bagged a 2nd in P2. Still, I got a lot to look forward to, since in going to the Monterey Sports Car Championship in a few weeks. Get to see the Jaaaag in real Action!

kinda a disapointing end the GT2 winner won be sheer luck of the draw and the pugs won by luck of spinning audis in the rain. had alot of action in the race but i think the race had so much more to give but the rain just ruinned the day.:indiff:

I was pleased that Drayson Racing weren't that slow in P1, although Rob Bell did tinge his and the team's brilliant performance by binning the car off the track.

I'm also glad that Oreca had a strong showing in 5th, as Olivier Panis is one of my favourite drivers in endurance racing. The car was as quick as the Acura which is all they could have hoped for, I don't think any petrol car had a chance when it got dry (Audi looked near unbeatable in the rain though anyway).

I'm annoyed that Priaulx didn't really get chance to start a recovery drive in the #90 M3, as he was the fasest driver in that car and I wanted to see how well he could get the car going.

Drive of the race for me goes to Klaus Graf in the Cytosport car.

So, next up on the list, Monterey Sports Car Championships at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I'm going to try making the three-hour drive out there, anybody else going?

Well, we had fun, but it was wet. It was some of the most exciting racing I had viewed in person while it was going on but when it got to thunder and lightning stages it just wasn't safe. I wish they could have completed the race. McNish had gotten himself right behind the Peugeot's with no lead lap traffic to get around. It would have been great to see the finish an angry Scot would have given them. But as the announcers said, "It is comforting to know that McNish is human."

And we were actually on Spectator Hill when the Viper spun out on the esses and hit the wall and just down from where the P2 Porsche spun. I should have some pictures and videos up by the end of this week. The weather made for some bad shots and I need to go through and clean them up. I was constantly having to wipe off my lens just so it could focus properly. But when my shots were clear the effect of the wet track was incredible. The amount of water thrown up is amazing and I have a video of the first lap where the air is clear and by the time the GT2 cars go through it looks like fog rolled in. Once I get everything uploaded I will create a separate thread.

Side note: VW had a big tent in the Vendor Village and for showing them my keys I got a free hat and canvas bag, Chevy gave us free Corvette Racing shirts for filling out a survey, and they had a ton of older merchandise on sale. Big props to VW for being the only manufacturer present to show some love to your owners.

americanlemans.com
Prep Statistics:
Pre-Petit work list items: 190

Acura ARX-02a Statistics:
Chassis mechanical parts: 4000
Chassis electrical parts: 250
Engine parts: 100 (excluding internals of engine)
Gearbox parts: 350
Parts with tracked life: 1000 (excluding internals of engine)
Custom hardware (fasteners, o-rings, bearings): 450

Rebuild Statistics:
Parts reused: about 10%

Rebuild Timeline (times are when tasks were completed, unless otherwise noted)
Thursday
3:43 PM - Accident
4:15 PM – Damaged assessment finished
4:45 PM – Spare part serial numbers allocated for car build
5:00 PM – Finalized arrangements to ship spare tub
6:00 PM – Spare tub picked up by freight service in California
6:45 PM – Damaged car stripped, reusable parts identified
11:00 PM – Replacement parts prepared and arranged for assembly
12:00 AM – Team back to hotel

Friday
7:10 AM – Spare tub arrives at Atlanta airport, met by team members
7:30 AM – Breakfast
8:00 AM – Begin preparation for car build, organize and layout assemblies
9:30 AM – Spare, bare tub arrives at track
11:00 AM – Tub preparation finished
12:00 PM - Lunch
11:30 PM - Fresh engine fitted
1:30 PM - Fresh gearbox fitted
6:00 PM - Dinner
8:00 PM – Four corners fitted on car
9:00 PM – Race spare preparation begins
11:45 PM – Hydraulic/fuel/electronic systems tested
1:00 AM – Engine fired
4:30 AM – Car on ground
5:45 AM – Setup finished
6:45 AM – Race strategy meeting
9:45 AM – Warmup / Practice Session

Crash Statistics:
Just before impact:
Speed: 225 kph (140 mph)
Throttle: 100% (Full)
Lateral acceleration: 1.5g
Gear: 6th (Top gear)

During collision:
Car did a full rotation every 1.3 seconds
Peak acceleration > 15g
From impact to stop: 6.2 seconds

Some stats from Scott Sharps horrific crash in practice Friday(?) He was uninjured as well.

Not sure if anyone is watching, but the battle is on between Fernandez and De Ferran. Both championships are already decided so itsnow all for te overall win. Supposedly, the 66 cannot make it without fuel while the 15 is good to go. I smell vintage champ car coming on :)

Edit: And folks, Gil De Ferran is your overall winner!!! I'm trying to keep back my tears right now, I have never cheered for a driver like I have for him and Fernandez. I am glad for both of them.

Last edited:
Holy crap...those last few laps were nuts :scared: How crazy was Mag's crash in the Vette as he crossed the line!? :crazy: Makes me regret not buying tickets this year :ouch:

Man I forgot about the race today. I looked at the guide last night & saw it was coming on and missed it. They just showed the highlight of Mangussen and Bergmiester on the last lap that was awesome. I hope Mangussen is okay.

that race was crazy. the whole last half hour i was on the edge of my seat. i cant belive bergmister crashed jan though. i could understand pushing jan to the wall but spinning him was just crazy. glad to see that jan was fine though and it just goes to show you corvette are going to be a power house in gt2 next year.

That last lap between Flying Lizard and the #3 Corvette was exciting. But for that crash, if this was basketball, Joerg B. would have gotten a flagrant foul for that hit he put on the #3 'Vette. I was upset the Risi Competizione Ferrari didn't finish.

Being at the track for the race was something else. You cant tell just how loud they are with the tape delay on Speed. Those American GT2's are LOUD. But while i was there, i was saddened to see the ECO Radical withdrew, the car is reliable, it just doesn't have good power compared to last year. Now, the crash. Where Jan hit the wall, I WAS AT. It was something else. From what i saw watching the TAPE DE-FREAKING-LAY at my hotel, Joerg hit the brakes before Jan spun. A textbook P.I.T. from what it looks like. The result should stand, but there shoyld be a 4 point penality, and a cash penality too. But the overall crash reminded me of Kaz's off at the Austrailian GP meetswhen Ian James spun Joerg (or was it Patrick Jerkface?) at Sebring earlier this year. At least we got a lot to look forward to. I expect at least 30 cars full-time next year. I could make a list, but I'm not home yet. So I'm using the Nintendo DSi for this.

Back