2009 Chinese Grand Prix – Can anyone stop Brawn?

• Thread starter Blake
  • 359 comments
3 laps to go. Vettel is driving carefully, but I guess he has a bit of a cushion, eh?

oh, yeah, the result's neat, but there's nothing interesting happening on the track now really. don't think anyone wants to try and push anything on this wet track now.

edit: I bet vettel's bloody glad he's won a race before.

senamic: ah, thanks. and great job by red bull, now they can say they're as good as their farm team again =)

Number Of Times BBC Commentators Have Mentioned RBR's Base Country: at least five and counting. Number Of Times BBC Commentators Have Mentioned Vettel's Nationality: zero. heh.

What a great moment for Red Bull Racing. A 1-2 for them...seems like they'll become challengers for the constructors championship now.

Who needs diffusers?

I'm thinking it's the Red Bull that is the dominating car in wet weather conditions. f the race would've been dry, I'm pretty sure the Brawns would've put up a better match, as would Trulli, what ever happened to his pace?

Great result for Red Bull though, Vettel is simply unbeatable in the wet.

Who needs diffusers?
Ferrari do, because now they have nothing to complain about!

Excellent performance from Vettel - another disaster for Ferrari, and Sutil won't be popular. Atleast he made a fist of it, however... as for Ferrari, (Raikkonen in particular) their performance was nothing short of extraordinarily bad... almost as if they weren't even trying...

nice to see jenson isn't moping about, grinning all over the podium.

toruing mars: you can't really blame sutil, it's not like he did anything wrong. he's got to assume the tyres are going to get him through the corner.

Great race and great result. I was hoping Vettel and webber would be able to hold of Button. 1-2 and 8th, a good day for redbull. A bad day for Ferrari, shame about massa, he was doing well.

Hamilton seemed to be one of the quicker drivers out there, or he would have been if he could keep it pointing the right direction. looking a bit headless this race.

Forza RedBull 👍

Oh, and nice to see Piquet is back on form. :)

Last edited:
in wet and windy conditions, it was thus german driver bernd maylander in his mercedes-benz safety car who led the field for the first eight laps. He had already done more laps this season that heikki kovalainen!

hahaha!

I thought they might have red flagged the race early doors too... of course, if it starts raining again, it will be game over I think.

It's a tough call, though... even a poor spectacle like this is preferable to no race at all, but then again, it is turning into a bit of a shambles/lottery.

Very well said... I had cracked open my finest bottle of Sangria to cheer on the Spaniard, but it was made bitter by the rain. What a emotional Grand Prix weekend, P18 in practice to P2 in qualifying... Oh well, *&%$!*
Might as well finish off that Sangria...:banghead::banghead::banghead:🤬🤬🤬

I rest my case :D

I'd like to disagree. Vettel's win came courtesy of the second safety-car. If anything, the first one only made things more difficult for him - he had 5-6 laps less to build up an early lead.

Very well said... I had cracked open my finest bottle of Sangria to cheer on the Spaniard, but it was made bitter by the rain. What a emotional Grand Prix weekend, P18 in practice to P2 in qualifying... Oh well, *&%$!*

As suspected, Renault's strategists haave given us a wonderful mess. Had they kept Alonso out, the savings under the SC would've given him a pit-window on the 12th/13th lap which, considering the time it took to complete his stop, would've sent him back on the track in 5th place, or 6th if something went wrong. Instead, he was 14th at the time.

And that messy spin... :grumpy:

senamic: ah, thanks. and great job by red bull, now they can say they're as good as their farm team again =)

Number Of Times BBC Commentators Have Mentioned RBR's Base Country: at least five and counting. Number Of Times BBC Commentators Have Mentioned Vettel's Nationality: zero. heh.

Well it isn't the German Broadcasting Corporation is it? :rolleyes: If you are really surprised there is at least a small amount of bias then I guess you have a pretty fancy idea of commentary, eh? You will find it hard to find commentary that isn't biased to some degree or other and I personally think the BBC have got it spot on in being impartial but slightly patriotic.

Anyway, wow, awful year for Ferrari so far - no signs of improvement at all.
Good finish for McLaren, have to applaud them for getting on with it regardless of the outside distractions and a bad car, good race from both drivers though a few mistakes for Hamilton, it was pretty bad conditions, everyone made them.
Brawn and Red Bull, pretty flawless, Brawn's strategy worked well and I think it was the best they could have hoped for in the wet and looking at the pace of RBR.
Renault - almost as bad as Ferrari's race, bad decisions and not great driving to back it up.
Toro Rosso - Buemi being very impressive early on except for his one major mistake he was always contending for points, Bourdais once again disappointing not doing himself any favours.
Toyota - up and down, Trulli being too cautious but Glock pushing everywhere and a great result for him from the pit lane.
Force India - Once again the hopes got up and once again Sutil lost out unluckily, not sure if he could have done any better but promising for later in the season if we have another wet race.
Williams - anonymous, Nakajima having a fair few offs but otherwise being consistent and Rosberg losing out on a gamble on intermediates. They need to make better use of their qualifying positions though I can't help but think they would have done a lot, lot better if it had been dry.
BMW Sauber - up and down like Toyota, Heidfeld battling for the last points position and just missing out but Kubica having a horrible day.

Last edited:
Back