2010 F1 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter waggles
  • 458 comments
Wow. That was a short qualifying. Petrov stuffed it.

EDIT: Aaaaand... we're off again.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaand... it's raining.

Wow. Not a single lap time, and already this is fun.

Who gets into Q2? Top seventeen? Vettel might be in trouble...

Drift demonstration from Vettel? Solo? :lol:

And now he's third. On intermediates. On a wet track. Oh joy...

During practice this morning, the commentators were moaning that Spa had become "too easy". They're not saying that now...

Shocking: Mercedes out.

Even more shocking: Schumi outqualifies Rosberg.

Anyone know what tires McLaren and RBR are on?

Figures. Rain now. If it doesn't let up, the order may stay as is... after a fine fight in quali, the McLarens may lose out.

Spoke too soon... Lewis in 2nd! Great 3rd sector on a cooling track!

Webber first... lucky thing, really, getting his best lap in before the rain. But Lewis was faster in the first two qualis. Next is Kubica, Vettel, Button and Massa.

Then Barrichelo, Sutil and Hulkenberg.

Disastrous quali for Alonso... down in tenth. FA BP on the rise. Sees red... Mercs start somewhere in... Germany, I think... :lol: after getting kicked out in Q2 and getting their grid penalties...

Unbelievable how Alonso whas 1,5 second slower than Hamilton in the last lap with simular conditions...something whent horribly wrong there...again!!!...

Can't wait for tomorrow,firs see how the GP2 race will go in 10 minutes...

spy.

It's really strange how Alonso always seems to lose pace as the weekend progresses nowadays. Really quick in the first practice and then slower and slower as quali approaches. He doesn't seem to have the real edge anymore in racing either. I mean, it's not that he's old or anything, he just doesn't seem to be as outstanding a driver as he was.

Session is over (I'm watching live timing)....won't spoil it for the US viewers though.
Spoil away in this thread. If you don't want to know the results of qualifying or the race, you shouldn't be in this thread.

Session is over (I'm watching live timing)....won't spoil it for the US viewers though.

Anyone who came into this thread not wanting spoilers must be a complete idiot.

EDIT: Tree'd

So good to be back at Spa <3

Good job Mark but just quietly, I'm sick of the Lewis Hamilton bias in the commentary. It might surprise you Brits but Lewis isn't that well liked outside of Europe but all they ever talk about is Lewis Lewis Lewis.

Well that wasn't really quiet actually...

So good to be back at Spa <3

Good job Mark but just quietly, I'm sick of the Lewis Hamilton bias in the commentary. It might surprise you Brits but Lewis isn't that well liked outside of Europe but all they ever talk about is Lewis Lewis Lewis.

Well Lewis owned everyone today, his last hotlap was sick :drool:...Unbelievable.

Well Lewis owned everyone today except Webber, his last hotlap wasn't fast enough

Fixed :P

But he got a bit unlucky with the weather and remember, just because he's quick doesn't mean he's likable to various people.

Edit: Damn got beaten ... Or tree'd as you say here

Webber 1st into La Source - 2nd into Les Coombes?

Vettel could be similarly beaten down the straight by Button too... Renault seems pretty quick in a straight line too... could spoil Webber (or even Lewis) a bit too - double tow After Eau Rouge - the start could be real interesting!!

Lewis drove his socks off today...

Gonna miss the live race tomorrow (boo) - but am recording it and will watch it afterwards!

C.

As a fan of Renault and mainly of Kubica I just can be happy of this, maybe a podium? Or better than just a podium :drool: let's see it tomorrow

What broadcast do you listen to? It isn't just the Brits who are talking about Lewis's qualifying!

He didn't "own" Webber, though. :sly:

Lewis was much faster in the first two sessions.

In fact... fastest outright in all the sessions. Bar session one where he hammered out the best time on the cold track, then the rain came in and McLaren decided (wisely) to let everyone else play in the rain. It was near the end when the track stabilized when people started passing his lap, but they knew those times would be enough for Q2.

I think Q2 is most representative of who's faster than who... but since people set laps at different times, it's hard to tell, as the track was just rubbering up. In Q2, McLaren ruled.

Lewis went out first in Q3 to beat the rain... and it came quick. Luck of the draw... Mark and the others got a better rubbered track, laid faster times, then the rain came in. For Lewis to do a blistering lap to get back up into 2nd, while the Ferraris were flailing in the rain, was incredible. I actually didn't think he'd be able to leapfrog Vettel and Kubica, but somehow he did it.

With the pace of the McLarens this weekend, Webber will be lucky to hold on to first place for very long... especially if it rains.

It's really strange how Alonso always seems to lose pace as the weekend progresses nowadays. Really quick in the first practice and then slower and slower as quali approaches. He doesn't seem to have the real edge anymore in racing either. I mean, it's not that he's old or anything, he just doesn't seem to be as outstanding a driver as he was.

I don't blame Alonso. I know Massa had a moment that ruined his last quali lap... wouldn't be surprised if the same were true of Alonso... though the fact that he was never more than mid-pack within the top-ten through all of qualifying is worrying (though I recall he did gamble on prime tires in Q2).

We'll know the story come raceday, when we'll know what tires everyone is on... he may have sacrificed pace for a prime strategy? But that strategy doesn't make sense if there will be rain tomorrow.

-

Predictions? Kubica to win, having performed a heroic lap, apparently on the prime tires (I'm making this up, honestly), with no rain coming until right before his pitstop, where he goes to option wet tires and the race turns into a procession as visibilty drops to near zero.

Everyone else spins into the gravel traps, which have become beaches. Senna and Yamamoto get their first F1 career podiums (and the way things are going... their last). Race called off at lap 40 as the water reaches three feet deep in places and we see Ferraris floating past the grandstand in a scene reminiscent of... well... actually... nothing like that has happened in F1 yet, but there's a first time for everything.

Last edited:
Predictions? Kubica to win, having performed a heroic lap, apparently on the prime tires (I'm making this up, honestly), with no rain coming until right before his pitstop, where he goes to option wet tires and the race turns into a procession as visibilty drops to near zero.

Everyone else spins into the gravel traps, which have become beaches. Senna and Yamamoto get their first F1 career podiums (and the way things are going... their last). Race called off at lap 40 as the water reaches three feet deep in places and we see Ferraris floating past the grandstand in a scene reminiscent of... well... actually... nothing like that has happened in F1 yet, but there's a first time for everything.
I like the sound of that! :dopey:

Back