2010 F1 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter waggles
  • 458 comments
Everyone else spins into the gravel traps, which have become beaches. Senna and Yamamoto get their first F1 career podiums (and the way things are going... their last). Race called off at lap 40 as the water reaches three feet deep in places and we see Ferraris floating past the grandstand in a scene reminiscent of... well... actually... nothing like that has happened in F1 yet, but there's a first time for everything.

I'd pay to see that.

Speaking of the bbc commentary's bias for Hamilton.. While I agree it's present It's still not as bad as Australia's One HD team and their ridiculous bias for Webber. but fact of the matter is, everyone is usually biased and it's usually to their countryman.

I don't blame Alonso. I know Massa had a moment that ruined his last quali lap... wouldn't be surprised if the same were true of Alonso... though the fact that he was never more than mid-pack within the top-ten through all of qualifying is worrying (though I recall he did gamble on prime tires in Q2).

Alonso was on a good lap in his first stint in Q3, top five or six time or so, certainly better than the one he had, when he decided to come into the pits.

This strikes me as a dumb decision by Ferrari since rain actually was forecasted for the end of Q3.

Alonso was on a good lap in his first stint in Q3, top five or six time or so, certainly better than the one he had, when he decided to come into the pits.

This strikes me as a dumb decision by Ferrari since rain actually was forecasted for the end of Q3.

Alonso says in the post-qualifying interview that he hit a wet spot on that first lap. Just plain bad luck. Regarding strategy... not really commenting on that... I guess it's just the luck of the draw, really... but Alonso really isn't having a good weekend.

Still... biggest losers after this round of upgrades is Mercedes GP. What's up with that? Renault certainly seems to have really taken to the F-Duct... they've been up the sheets all through qualifying. Kubica might be challenging for wins now... though I'm not familiar (off-the-top-of-my-head) with which tracks in this second half of the season are suited to F-Duct use.

I love watching Hamilton drive I think it`s safe to say he`s currently the fastest driver on the grid. He almost beat Webbers time, with softs on wet, that`s extraordinary to say the least!. I`m not european btw but I recognize talent and hard work when I see it.

It's a safe bet to say hamilton will dive-bomb webber at turn 1 if his start is good enough, then it's a battle to the chicane.

Really enjoyed the qualifying session, especially Q1 when you got to see everybody panicking as the rain came down and we saw Kovalinen and Glock get into Q2. I think the weather gifted Webber his pole, he set the quickest first flying lap and then the rain came down afterwards which ruined anybody's chance at beating his time. Although Hamilton drove like a demon to get onto the front row, he deserved pole in my opinion.

Session is over (I'm watching live timing)....won't spoil it for the US viewers though.

How would you spoil it for US viewers? We get qualifying live on SPEED Channel.

Well I'm happy! It turns out that Webber DID NOT crack under pressure! In fact, he did quite the opposite, he got pole!! Hamilton right next to him in second. And Kubica third, with Sebastian Vettel next to him in fourth. Red Bull keeps their pole position streak alive! They are now 12 for 13! Has any other team even come close to this record in the past; I haven't heard that being talked about.

Should be an exciting race that I actually get to see live! GO RED BULL!!!

Webber will have a fight on his hands not just to keep 1st into turn 1, but also for the whole race. The Red Bull doesn't appear to have anything like the advantage they had earlier in the season here. The wet condidtions just further make it a lottery.
I predict Webber won't take the win, but thats all I'll bother trying to predict.

Hopefully we have a repeat weather wise, though it might not need it.

Well that was quite a frustrating qualy session to watch for the Ferrari fans :ouch: They once again completely blew it by bringing Alonso in when he had that good lap going early in Q3. That was complete idiocy to call off the lap and bring him in and gamble with the weather gods for no reason really :rolleyes: At this point I'm about to give up on them :lol: :ill:

No. You quite clearly told daan he hadn't "read Lauda's exact comments". Nowhere in "Lauda's exact comments" are the words "morally wrong". daan has elaborated on this in the immediate prior post. We don't know what Lauda thinks beyond what he said.

Lauda said that what Ferrari did was against the rules and they were punished for it - and he opined that the WMSC will take further action. The reality is that what Ferrari did was against the rules and they were punished for it - and the WMSC may take further action

Well, I think it's quite clear that he believes what Ferrari did is also morally wrong for the health of the SPORT (not the political side) and the audience.

Tell me what you conclude from this statement from Niki Lauda with a breif overview: (source mbiz.com)

Waiting for a sentence coming from FIA’s World Council at the beginning of September, the two-times world champion harshly criticized Scuderia Ferrari’s attitude towards Formula 1, saying that the Italians are more interested in politics than sportiveness.

“You have two models of how to race in Formula 1 as a team. If you approach it politically then you are in the Ferrari mould. Or you try to give both your drivers equal opportunities and the fans an exciting sport, as Red Bull are doing in letting their drivers compete with each other,” said Lauda in a interview for the official Formula 1 website. “That is what makes this sport a crowd puller because they see the best guys in the best cars racing each other with a ‘may the best man win’ philosophy – and not mocking the fans with a collusive result. But I am aware that this is a topic where opinions differ,” he also said.

Remember this exchange a few posts back?... Changed your mind a bit quick:

How did I change my mind? I said his COMMENTS had nothing to due with the legality of team orders back when he raced vs. current day F1. I said he was a beneficiary of team orders back in his day...this doesn't mean anything torward the legality of such actions.

Lauda may have benefitted from team orders in the past (though I'm not aware of it). They weren't against the rules then, so no-one would have had a problem with it. Today, team orders are against the rules and, it seems, everyone but Ferrari has a problem with it. Lauda pointed out that Ferrari broke the rules, were punished and may be further punished. Why is this "hypocritical to the 10th degree" when he passed no opinion on it.

He did clearly pass opinion (my above quotes) of the situation @ Hockenheim which you continue to ignore, forcing me to run around in circles as usual on this forum :lol:

Last edited:
Renault certainly seems to have really taken to the F-Duct... they've been up the sheets all through qualifying. Kubica might be challenging for wins now... though I'm not familiar (off-the-top-of-my-head) with which tracks in this second half of the season are suited to F-Duct use.

Maybe monza. :)
Monza_2006.gif

Last edited:
The f-duct is not as useful at Monza as they run low-downforce setup anyway. As McLaren have displayed by announcing they won't use it for that race (the first race they've taken it off the chassis).

It will be useful at any track with a decent straight and the McLaren system is a leg-based system so is easy to activate (compared to the hand-based devices everyone seems to have). Monza is different as it doesn't have high downforce levels anyway and very few corners (well, it has few corners to start with) which need high downforce levels.

The big advantage of running the f-duct is that you can run a higher downforce setting with less of the drag disadvantage for straights. So if you are on tracks like Monaco or Monza, its not as useful.

Singapore a little, not much for straights there, same for Suzuka, not much for straights other than Spoon to Casio.
Korea looks to be the next best race for f-duct. Abu Dhabi too.

Most of the coming races should favour Red Bull and Ferrari in my opinion, other than Monza, which will favour whoever has a great low-drag downforce package, which I think is Red Bull anyway :lol:. Should be similar to Spa though, with a close field.

Either Renault have made a massive leap with the f-duct alone, or they have sorted out a good low-drag setup. I tend to think the latter.

I never knew all that, i just thought it made the car faster on the straights for whatever reason. I think Ferrari have an advantage to the end apart from Monza which looks like Mclaren or Force India to me. Anyways I think Red Bull are running a much lower downforce then the rest of the front-runners. It's close all the way round the track between the 3 top teams. But I think Hamilton for the win tomorrow followed by Kubica and Webber.

Well, I think it's quite clear that he believes what Ferrari did is also morally wrong for the health of the SPORT (not the political side) and the audience.

Second and third words are key here.

You upbraided daan for not reading "Lauda's exact comments" and yet you persist in passing over "Lauda's exact comments" in favour of your interpretation of them.

Tell me what you conclude from this statement from Niki Lauda with a breif overview.

I conclude that he thinks Ferrari approach F1 politically, whereas Red Bull let their drivers compete. He thinks that letting the drivers compete makes the sport more exciting and not doing so mocks the fans.

I don't conclude anything he didn't say. And then go around telling people they've not read what he's said because I've invented something else.

How did I change my mind? I said his COMMENTS had nothing to due with the legality of team orders back when he raced vs. current day F1. I said he was a beneficiary of team orders back in his day...this doesn't mean anything torward the legality of such actions.

Explain how he is being "hypocritical to the 10th degree" to point out that Ferrari broke the rules on team orders.

He did clearly pass opinion (my above quotes) of the situation @ Hockenheim which you continue to ignore, forcing me to run around in circles as usual on this forum :lol:

He didn't pass opinion on the rules. He didn't pass opinion on Ferrari breaking the rules. He didn't pass opinion on Ferrari's punishment. He didn't pass opinion on Ferrari's future punishment. And nowhere did he say anything was "morally wrong".

If you remained consistent with yourself and used actual information rather than your own personal interpretation, you wouldn't be required to go in circles. As it is you've told daan he "obviously didn't read Lauda's exact comments :rolleyes: " while working off something Lauda didn't say and you've decided he meant and said Lauda is "hypocritical to the 10th degree" for saying Ferrari broke the rules, were punished and probably would be further punished despite at no point demonstrating why it's hypocritical of Lauda to say this, bar some glib reference to Lauda benefitting from team orders (when) before they were against the rules.

To everybody that says that Lewis didn't own Webber: I didn't know that dry and wet conditions produce the same amount of grip and therefore same lap times...

To timeattack: I didn't realize Ferrari's massive mistake until you brought it up on your post. They don't seem to learn...Despite that Alonso and others totally failed to match Lewis pace on the wet on the last round of hotlaps...And that is more concerning for Ferrari fans than Ferrari's stupid coordination mistakes. They were aiming for a win this weekend..

To everyone:I point out strongly Hamilton's lap because it was the first time in the past few years that i was completely blown away from somebody's pace...I'm not anybody's fanboy.

To everybody that says that Lewis didn't own Webber: I didn't know that dry and wet conditions produce the same amount of grip and therefore same lap times...

It wasn't that wet if he set that lap time. Either way Webber is still first.

I wonder what setups in terms of wet/dry each team went for.

Rubens is starting on hard tomorrow in case it rains late on and has to pit. It could save him a stop and if he's lucky he could win. Unlikely though. Light rain could be interesting. I think some of the teams are on their last set of inters.

Last edited:
Second and third words are key here.

You upbraided daan for not reading "Lauda's exact comments" and yet you persist in passing over "Lauda's exact comments" in favor of your interpretation of them.
]

dann's comments had nothing to do with what I was trying to point out, nor did they have any relevance to the article - meaning they had no purpose to be brought up in the discussion to begin with.

My interpretation of Lauda's statement is perfectly fine. You're just not looking deep enough at the meaning of the words used in his context - thus you feel the need to say that I'm trying to pass off my own "made up" interpretation of what Lauda meant, which really isn't true.

[I conclude that he thinks Ferrari approach F1 politically, whereas Red Bull let their drivers compete. He thinks that letting the drivers compete makes the sport more exciting and not doing so mocks the fans.

I don't conclude anything he didn't say. And then go around telling people they've not read what he's said because I've invented something else.

Again, that's because you're not looking deep enough at the vocabulary used in Lauda's statement, thus YOU have "concluded" wrong.

Look up the word "collusive", which Lauda used in his statement (he said "collusive result") and you'll see that it means: "To act in secret to achieve a fraudulent, illegal, or deceitful goal." Lauda's use of this word perfectly suggest that he thinks what Ferrari did was morally (which means "In relation to standards of good and bad character or conduct") wrong (the word I've been using which you've gotten all hung up on).

He didn't pass opinion on the rules. He didn't pass opinion on Ferrari breaking the rules. He didn't pass opinion on Ferrari's punishment. He didn't pass opinion on Ferrari's future punishment. And nowhere did he say anything was "morally wrong".

Oh ok :lol: Then you tell me what he passed judgment on...

Anyways, I'm moving on from here. I've already made my point clear and don't feel the need to further clutter this thread with this irrelevant argument, which at the end of the day is sadly just a waste of our time.

Last edited:
In wet conditions Hamilton will probably walk away with it like he always does in the wet.

If it's dry then I think Webber will breeze to the victory if nothing goes wrong. If Webber ever will have a chance on the title, it's this year. And I really hope he can do it.

I also hope to see Kubica right up there. It's about time they start showing up back in the front. A team I wish to see in the battle among the great ones for next season.

Indeed, he has been in the past. But he's stuck behind Kubica... whose Renault is a virtual rolling roadblock when it's not as quick as the front-runners, and should be a huge threat right now that they've got the F-Duct sorted. It'll take a good run to get past him.

It wasn't that wet if he set that lap time. Either way Webber is still first.

Didn't see everyone else on their last ditch lap failing to match their best lap from the start of the session? No? Carry on.

Latest Posts

Back