2010 Formula One Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter
  • 382 comments

Peter

(Banned)
pj-gm
lol not happening
So, 2 weeks after a surprisingly exiting race at Singapore, we head just across Asia to Suzuka, a track many of us will know from Gran Turismo :lol:, and with 2 Japanese drivers on the grid, one capable of points, the Japanese have a good reason to come out and cheer for their hero(es).

2010 Japanese Grand Prix
@Suzuka
http://www.worldwideticketing.com/images/grand-prix/Japanese-grand-prix/japan_suzuka_circuit-map.jpg

So, 4 races to go, and the championship is still a very close fight. Webber leads by only 11 points to Alonso, who is charging on him, after back to back wins in Monza and Singapore. Will Ferrari take the bulls by the horns once again? Will the bulls cahrge to a much needed victory? Or will McLaren win? This track seems to be one that will fit the Red Bull best, but that's what everyone said about Singapore, and guess who won there? I think the Ferrari is emerging as the fastest car on the grid. 2 poles and 2 wins on 2 completely different circuits relating to setups, definitely says something. I seriously think Alonso may be sailing to WDC number 3.

Also, Perez to race for Sauber next year w/ Kobayashi.: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/10/11338.html

Last edited:
Well I didnt expect Sauber to not keep Heidfield for next year. I would think having Heidfield over Perez would be a better situation, but Perez is bringing money in which is was Sauber need.

As for the race I'm going to say Kobayashi will win in front of his home crowd.

But realistically still gotta go with Red Bull. They did have a faster car then Ferrari last race but due to bad qualifying on Vettles part he ended up in second. And during the whole race the Ferrari couldn't even get a lead from Vettle. So if everything goes smooth for Red Bull ill say it should be there race but Ferrari are just waiting for 1 mistake to pounce and take the race like last week.

Looking forward to the punishing curves of Suzuka! Where rookies find the grass and the wall and champions pull off stunning moves.

There can be no better place to see how the the title hunt can turn a new page.

Predictions are out the window at this stage, you'd have to say Red Bull should be strongest, but Ferrari and McLaren aren't out of it.
Like everyone else, I really want to see a banzai charge from Kobayashi, as the Sauber is supposedly meant to be suited to this circuit.

I'm quickly turning into a big Kobayashi fan now. I really hope he gets a decent car in the next few years.

Well I didnt expect Sauber to not keep Heidfield for next year. I would think having Heidfield over Perez would be a better situation, but Perez is bringing money in which is was Sauber need.

As for the race I'm going to say Kobayashi will win in front of his home crowd.

But realistically still gotta go with Red Bull. They did have a faster car then Ferrari last race but due to bad qualifying on Vettles part he ended up in second. And during the whole race the Ferrari couldn't even get a lead from Vettle. So if everything goes smooth for Red Bull ill say it should be there race but Ferrari are just waiting for 1 mistake to pounce and take the race like last week.

I have to say, even though Vettel was on a fast lap in qualifying and would've taken pole, Alonso was right behind him going purple as well, and it looked as if Alonso would have taken it back anyway. But this track does suit the Red Bul ,and i'm sure of a good result from them, as long as Alonso finishes ahead of Webber :D

Anybody in Australia who is looking to watch the race, fear not! Although Channel Ten are broadcasting the Commonwealth Games wall-to-wall for the next two weeks, the Grand Prix will be on One HD from 4.50pm ... but it clashes with the end of this year's Bathurst 1000. If you don't have TiVo or a DVR, it looks like you've got some choices to make.

I also hope Kobayashi does well. A Japanese driver hasn't podiumed since Sato in 2004, maybe Kobayashi will re-write history? And if Kobayashi does well, I hope Nick does good too.

Gyus I'm so excited for this race, ah! Suzuka is a great track and having so many drivers with realistic world-title-chances it's going to be unbelievable.

So... Red Bull track?

I think the only way for the other teams to win is for Red Bull to not score points in the races after Suzuka. The big question is, for Suzuka, Vettel or Webber? Though I wouldn't put it past Ferrari to pull a surprise here... it seems that they've really picked up the pace of development here in the later half of the season... but then, to hear McLaren tell it, the Ferraris have always been the best of the rest in terms of speed (meaning number two, not number three).

RED BULL!!

I really hope for a 1-2, it's just what we need to keep Webber on top. I also hope for a poor Alonso performance.

I also hope Kobayashi does well. A Japanese driver hasn't podiumed since Sato in 2004, maybe Kobayashi will re-write history?
In order for that to happen, trouble would have to befall a fair whack of the field. In its present state, the Sauber cannot beat McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull in a straight fight. And depending on the circuit, it may not be able to defeat Renault, Mercedes, Williams and possibly Force India. Kobayashi will need a race of attrition or some idiocy from the best drivers in the world in order to reserve his spot on the podium. Assuming he doesn't crash first.

It's ironic, even though I love Suzuka, I can't remember the last time I've actually watched the F1 race on this track because it's always broadcast so early in the morning here! :lol:

So... Red Bull track?

I think the only way for the other teams to win is for Red Bull to not score points in the races after Suzuka. The big question is, for Suzuka, Vettel or Webber? Though I wouldn't put it past Ferrari to pull a surprise here... it seems that they've really picked up the pace of development here in the later half of the season... but then, to hear McLaren tell it, the Ferraris have always been the best of the rest in terms of speed (meaning number two, not number three).

The smart bet would be on RB to have the clear advantage here (particularly through Sector 1) although I feel they've lost some of their invicincibility after having to modify their splitter just a couple of races ago. Now that we're back on a circuit that has RB written all over it (if any on the calender) it should be extremely interesting and critical for the Championship to see how much the other teams (particularly Ferrari and Macca) have closed the gap to RB on this type of high cornering speed/high DF circuit. Without a doubht, if RB end up dominating the weekend it will be very important for the other Championship cotenders to do the best they can to limit the damage in terms of their position in the points standing, as from here on out RB will likely be right up their with the other teams at the remaining races.

I'm also intrigued to see how Mclaren will manage to get their new updates working as they could also make a healthy move up (in terms of being competitive) on this type of circuit which should suit their shopping cart suspended car, much better than Singapore (which has really been the only race out of the last 3 where they were nowhere near RB and Ferrari).

RED BULL!!

I really hope for a 1-2, it's just what we need to keep Webber on top. I also hope for a poor Alonso performance.

*ignore astro's pre-race RB advertising again* :lol:

Well it's a Red Bull track and there is less walls to crash into... but luck is a cruel and unpredicting mistress and I think Alonso for another pole and another win. I expect Jenson to be back in it as well, but only in 2nd or 3rd. It will be a good race.

on this type of circuit which should suit their shopping cart suspended car, much better than Singapore

I think said shopping cart probably has more suspension compliance than a McLaren.

(which has really been the only race out of the last 3 where they were nowhere near RB and Ferrari).

It was amazing how much abuse Lewis had to subject his car to just to almost match the RBRs in terms of pace in Singapore. One hopes the car will work better on a faster circuit like Suzuka... but with the long, fast curves here, Red Bull will definitely be clear of the McLarens... unless the new blown diffusers have added significantly more downforce...

I know it's quite early to be making predictions regarding the weather - but atm I've read there's a 95% chance of rain for both Saturday and Sunday :crazy: :)

This might shake things a up a bit to say the least.

I know it's quite early to be making predictions regarding the weather - but atm I've read there's a 95% chance of rain for both Saturday and Sunday :crazy: :)

Often i also hope for rain in a GP weekend,especially on boring tracks(Valencia,hungary,barcelona,atc atc)but on Suzuka i really hope it will stay dry because of the immense speed these cars carry thru the ss's...i remember several rain-races on Suzi were not much happened just because of a wet track...

Can't wait for this race,the championship is going to end even more close than it allready is i am sure...

My prediction is that RB will do very well,but is seems Ferrari has their car in top condition no matter what track they drive on...:drool:

Bring on first practice...:)

spy.

I live in nagoya but going to give the GP a miss this year as i have been there for the past 5 gp's.
but if anyone is making a trip out here send me a message and i'll hook up with you guys.
But word of warning don't expect to see any GT5 demos there coz i went the the last two Super GT races and there wasn't even a hint of any GT5 demos anywhere.

the weather report today on NHK said there is a slight chance of rain at the weekend.:sly:

I really like this classic, non-Tilke track. Most years Alonso tends to sharpen up at the end of the season. His third WDC has been long in coming, I expect him to be ruthless and cunning.

Does anyone remember Alonso's pass round the outside of Schumacher at 130R? Incredible bravery.

On board

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Alonso's pass round the outside of Schumacher at 130R? Incredible bravery.

I especially remember Alonso waving at Schumacher after the latter broke down under the bridge... classic stuff. '06, was it?

I can't remember the year but Alonso's two year dominance over Schumacher and Ferrari is why he's my current favourite driver.

After Schumacher :sly:

I can't remember the year but Alonso's two year dominance over Schumacher and Ferrari is why he's my current favourite driver.

After Schumacher :sly:

:lol:

I'd have to bet on a Red Bull. I think Mclaren's updates have improved their qualifying pace on higher downforce circuits, but we saw at Singapore both drivers were struggling relative to the Red Bulls and Ferraris on heavy fuel loads and/or old tyres. I think earlier in the year they had the fastest car for race pace (Particularly at places like Turkey) but lost out in qualifying. Now it seems to be the other way around.

I think Vettel is stronger than Webber here, so i'm going to have to go for a Vettel win. I reckon Kubica and Hamilton will fill up the podium.

I am cheering for Mark Webber 👍, and hoping for a dry race that is exciting.

And here on the West Coast of Canada start time is 10:30 p.m. (pre-race) Saturday night -no early morning coffee required 👍:)

I notice on Speed Channels website TV schedule that its blacked out in Canada (Also on TSN), but often I find it available anyways-prefer their commenting to Legard's; usually flick back and forth during commercials -TSN also uses split screen during commercials 👍

Last edited:
So... Kobayashi to win? :D

Absolutely! :D

Warn the other drivers, though. We're in Japan now and you can bet all your money all the banzai moves this weekend will come from Kobayashi.

Back