South of the South
GoldMineGutted
Formula One Turkish Grand Prix

screenshot20100526at121.png

Date: 30 May
Number of Laps: 58
Circuit Length: 5.338 km
Race Distance: 309.396 km
Lap Record: 1:24.770 - Juan Pablo Montoya (2005)

2009 Results
  1. Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
  2. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
  3. Sebastien Vettel Red Bull-Renault

Formula One once again returns to the Istanbul Park circuit, where fans absolutely pack the grandstands to see their favourite drivers fight for the top step of the podi-... no, no. That's Barcelona. Just a second...

Formula One once again returns to the Istanbul Park circuit, home of the famous quadruple-apex turn 8 which will push the drivers and the cars to the limits. The Turkish Grand Prix made its debut in 2005, where it was won by Kimi Räikkönen for McLaren-Mercedes. Since then, Istanbul Park has proven to be one of Hermann Tilke's more popular circuits.

I hope 2010 isn't the final Turkish Grand Prix. It's a shame that such a fine circuit should be in jeopardy because of poor crowd numbers when bland circuits like Barcelona get sell-out crowds. For me, Istanbul proves that Hermann Tilke is a very capable circuit designer; it is the closest thing we have to a modern classic. The problem in his circuit designs stem from the resrictive rule book and the pieces of land he is given to work with.

Hopefully, Turkey will produce a good race and save itself for another year. Bernie says it will be, so that's a start. I'm hoping the 2011 regulations posted by AMuS will allow for more overtaking, rules that I think will allow Istanbul to produce stellar races.

Well hopefully he will provide another good circuit for Austin (I'm assuming he will be designing it like always). Hopefully we will see some good racing. Any teams bring any updates to there cars this week?

I hope 2010 isn't the final Turkish Grand Prix. It's a shame that such a fine circuit should be in jeopardy because of poor crowd numbers when bland circuits like Barcelona get sell-out crowds. For me, Istanbul proves that Hermann Tilke is a very capable circuit designer; it is the closest thing we have to a modern classic. The problem in his circuit designs stem from the resrictive rule book and the pieces of land he is given to work with.

Hopefully, Turkey will produce a good race and save itself for another year. Bernie says it will be, so that's a start. I'm hoping the 2011 regulations posted by AMuS will allow for more overtaking, rules that I think will allow Istanbul to produce stellar races.

Want Turkey to stay? We need a Turkish F1 driver, that will bring in the crowds. Has there ever been one, though?

If Red Bull bring a decent F-Duct (which, knowing Adrian Newey, they will),they won't just be unbeatable. They won't have to do too much more developing-they could start on next years car now.

Want Turkey to stay? We need a Turkish F1 driver, that will bring in the crowds. Has there ever been one, though?
The success or failure of the Turkish Grand Prix does not depend on the presence of a Turkish drver. They need more promotion; I'm told that you can wander into Istanbul during the week leading up to the race and there is nothing to indicate it is on.

And yes, there is a Turkish racing driver - Jason Tahincioglu (better known as Jason Tahinci) - but he hasn't raced in GP2 since 2007 and GP2 Asia since 2008; he never scored and points and neer placed higher than eighth.

So - I'm going to be in NZ when this is on...

Is there a decent way of watching this from there? (And what time is it on?)

C.

So - I'm going to be in NZ when this is on...

Is there a decent way of watching this from there? (And what time is it on?)

C.

NZ is GMT+12, whilst Turkey is GMT+2. Race is at 15:00 local time, so it'll be on at 1am for you. No idea on decent ways of watching!

My pick is Webber to repeat.

It's fair to say that's where the sensible money will be. I think I might go for a long shot this time around and pick a driver who has yet to win this season...hmm...Hamilton..yep, oh and Button for second.

Alex, stop rolling your eyes.

I can't see Hamilton making a set of hard tyres last for 40 laps of Istanbul without destroying them as he has the last few years, no matter how good the Bridgestones are. To win, I hope Button, 2nd choice Webber, but probably Vettel - I doubt he'll let a teammate beat him 3 races on the bounce.

I'm going to go for another Red Bull 1-2. Webber for the win.

Hamilton 3rd.

4th-9th is really close between:

Button, Kubica, Alonso, Massa, Rosberg and Schumacher.

Once we see the test sessions tomorrow i'll be able to place those 6 drivers better :)

I'm going to go for another Red Bull 1-2. Webber for the win.

Hamilton 3rd.

4th-9th is really close between:

Button, Kubica, Alonso, Massa, Rosberg and Schumacher.

Once we see the test sessions tomorrow i'll be able to place those 6 drivers better :)

I almost agree, but I give Vettel a 50-50 chance with Webber. I think Button, Alonso and Kubica have about an equal chance at 3rd with Hamilton. I would also add Sutil in there as well, at least in qualifying.

Everyone seems to forget this is Massa's favourite track. He took pole and won in 2006, 2007 and 2008. Keep an eye on him, this may be his weekend.

Everyone seems to forget this is Massa's favourite track
And you seem to be forgetting that Massa has struggled for pace all season long. The Ferrari F10 isn't good enough to take the RB6 in a straight fight, and Alonso has had the measure of Massa all year long.

And you seem to be forgetting that Massa has struggled for pace all season long. The Ferrari F10 isn't good enough to take the RB6 in a straight fight, and Alonso has had the measure of Massa all year long.

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea from that Massa has been slow all season, he's only a 5 points (2 in old points system) behind Alonso, and he's only struggled for pace on a few occasions, so in the race I'm going for:

1.Vettel
2.Hamilton
3.Massa

(I reckon Mark Webber's car will break down)

Last edited:
Alonso has beaten Massa all season except for Monaco, where he made his own mistake and in Bahrain qualifying.

I definitely expect Massa to beat Alonso here, because if he doesn't, he proves to me that he has lost something.
I've always rated Alonso well ahead of Massa though, so this isn't really saying much.

I don't want to see Red Bull whitewash for the rest of the season, so I rather hope their f-duct attempts this weekend go wrong and they lose some pace. Fortunately, this season has been pretty good so far for keeping it close, but theres still a long way to go. As each race passes, the likelihood of domination from one or two teams reduces as teams gain back the performance and understand their cars, but even so.

So with this in mind, I want to see Mercedes and Ferrari and McLaren fighting for the top spots, with Red Bull breaking down. But I cannot predict this :lol:. I think it would be silly to predict anything other than:
1. Vettel
2. Webber

I think Alonso will take 3rd. I don't think Webber's luck right now will last and reportedly Vettel has been using a car he "didn't like" which had some problem with it. So considering they've apparently "fixed" this "problem", I fully expect Vettel to beat Webber.

Last edited:
To be honest, the only way I see the championship staying close this year will be if Ferrari, McLaren or Mercedes have a sudden solution to catch up to RBR or if the RBR is unreliable enough to let others keep in touch points wise.

250px-Felipe_Massa_thumbs-up.jpg

Massa approves! :dopey:

He won three of five races here, he said to a Brazilian reporter that this track is his second home in F1. If he can't beat Alonso in Turkey, he won't do it for the rest of the championship.

Go Massa! Go!

Last edited:
I don't know where everyone is getting the idea from that Massa has been slow all season, he's only a 5 points (2 in old points system) behind Alonso, and he's only struggled for pace on a few occasions

You mean 14 points behind?

And there was that one race that where his engine exploded. In Australia he screwed up and climbed through the field to finish just behind Massa. In Monaco he started in the pits and finished 2 spots behind.

He's been slower than Alonso pretty much since after the 1st race.

So, the Lotus cars are miles ahead of Virgin and HRT, who are both pretty close. Massa is not loooking good, he's not pleased either.

So, the Lotus cars are miles ahead of Virgin and HRT, who are both pretty close. Massa is not loooking good, he's not pleased either.

If anything, HRT have caught up to Virgin :lol:

I was rooting for Virgin out of the new teams :indiff:

Good to see Mclaren ahead after practice 2. But as always the Red Bulls will be hiding their pace with heavier fuel loads.

I loved Chandhok's answer when asked about the throttle problem in first practice "We were just getting some TV coverage".

If anything, HRT have caught up to Virgin :lol:

I wanted Virgin to beat Lotus, but it seems like Richard Branson is going to have to start getting measured for his flight attendant uniform. But it's still a fresh season, maybe they will improve soon. Virgin needs to sort out their reliability problems if they want to get anywhere.

NZ is GMT+12, whilst Turkey is GMT+2. Race is at 15:00 local time, so it'll be on at 1am for you. No idea on decent ways of watching!

I've got a sports channel in my room - whether or not it'll show the race I don't know!!

Formula1.com says

Practice 3 SAT 20:00
Qualifying SAT 23:00
Race SUN (Mon) 00:00

Hmmm - some (potential) late night viewing for me then!!!

C.

Back