Circuit Length: 6.299 km
Race Distance: 308.405 km
Lap Record: 1:30.252 - M Schumacher (2004)*

*Record set on previous 5.412 km circuit

2009 Results
  1. Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
  2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
  3. Jarno Trulli Toyota

Finally, we're here - Round 1 of the 2010 Formula One Championship season in Bahrain. The Bahrain Grand Prix first appeared on the championship calander back in 2004 and was won by Michael Schumacher. At the time of its inception, the race stood out as the first Formula One race in the Middle East, of which there are now three.

Come Sunday night, who will be on top - Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull? How will the new teams cope in their first Formula One grand prix? Has Schumacher still got that raw race pace? Well, we'll soon find out!

Last edited:
I'm interested to see in Force India have lost any momentum over the intermission.

I don't think Force India will be a lot better off this year then last year. They didn't show great times in testing but they where mid pack and I do believe they will be able to score points this year. But with the new teams they wont be at the back of the pack like they have been in the last 2 seasons.

Though with 4 teams running so close at the beginning of the season it should hopefully make for an exciting season with some good battles on track.

Looking forward it it, expecting a great race. I see Hamilton on pole, but with a good strategy and consistency, Alonso or Massa, who would have qualified none more than a few places down, would be able to snatch up the win or a podium.

Really looking forward to this season.

Here's to hoping it isn't lackluster. :cheers:

I'm looking forward to it. I'm tipping McLaren as being the team to beat, with Mercedes and Red Bullin the mix. I suspect that Ferrari's ramblings about the new teams are a warning sign that all is not well at Maranello.

Really cool video. 👍

It's amazing how adding a fairly small section can improve the track so much. It makes me wonder why this layout is only being used now.

Interesting line he's taking through that right-hander with no kerbing. I doubt the actual corer will be like that for the race, though.
It's amazing how adding a fairly small section can improve the track so much. It makes me wonder why this layout is only being used now.
My suspicion is that Bernie Ecclestone likes Formula 1 to race on circuits created for Formula 1 and only used by Formula 1. The V8 Supercars took to the old Bahrain layout this year, and the track extension for the Grand Prix was announced shortly afterwards ...

Also, there's finally someone who agrees with me that the new section is a good thing. Sure, it's got slow corners, but if you crunch the numbers, there's actually twice as many corners in that kilometre (including turn four) than over any other kilometre of the circuit. I'm pretty sure it's going to affect setups, even if only in a miniscule form. And because the drivers that needs the best setup for the entire circuit, they may need to compromise on some of the old stuff to account for the new.

:lol: Guys, you can't read anything into testing times, I think Force India are going to surprise ;). I think the car looks quite solid and Sutil and Liuzzi sound optimistic, other teams have commented they may be best of the rest along with Sauber.
Remember that Ferrari looked decent and Red Bull looked nowhere in testing last year?
We shall see on Saturday though.

I reckon Sauber and Force India will be challenging for Q3. I think the new teams will occupy the last positions, as expected. The unknowns are who is really in the top 4 and where Williams, Renault and STR are.
All eyes will be on Schumacher though.

I would like to see a Mclaren 1-2, high fives on the podium and a Ron Dennis smile.

This year the last 10-15 laps will probably be the most exciting finishes to any races since refuelling was brought in. Tyre strategies will be key.

With no clue on the fuel loads the car were using in the previous testing sessions, we could well be in for a few surprises this week-end. We will probably have to wait for the qualifying session to get a better understanding of this season's incredible grid. And even then how will the lightening cars handle at the end of the race? Can’t wait for this promising championship to start.:)

It'll be interesting to see who is where with regards to pace as qualifying will be the first true indication of outright speed.

It'll also be interesting to see how everyone copes with the heavy fuelled-up-to-so-the-whole-race cars.

With regard to McLaren, I expect Hamilton to be quicker, but perhaps he'll kill his tyres (as he seems to have a habit of doing) and Mr Jenson "Smooooth" Button will sail past.

:lol: Guys, you can't read anything into testing times, I think Force India are going to surprise ;).

This times a gazillion. We haven't heard anything on Force India throughout the whole winter. I've had a feeling for quite a while Force India will be very strong this season, and usually the teams who received nearly no headlines throughout the winter are those to surprise.

My money is on Vettel. In fact, right now my money for the title is on Vettel. No one has mentioned anything about Red Bull and a driver's title so far it seems, but I think Vettel will be the one to beat. He's impressed me last year, and you can bet Newey has made one heck of a car!

I think it's going to be Vettel vs Hamilton vs Alonso for the win, with Mercedes, Button and Webber batteling for the last podium position. Force India and Sauber to fill in the remaining spots in the top 10, and Renault and Williams filling up the upper bottom with the new teams filling the bottom.

Most looking forward to? Trulli in Q1 and Kobayashi in the race.

I think the key thing for Force India this season compared to last is that they have designed a car that is meant for the Mercedes engine and gearbox. Remember that for 2009, they signed the deal with Mercedes quite late in development, so they had a similar problem to Brawn in that the car wasn't as optimised as it could have been. Also, like the other "non-DDD" teams, they have had chance to design a car that incorporates the new diffusers better.

Sutil and Liuzzi aren't the best drivers out there, but I think the car should be up there at least in the upper midfield. I think Sutil has found some new confidence from last season, he just needs to stop being such a crash-magnet. Liuzzi was showing signs of catching up Sutil near the end, so maybe now he's had a full testing preparation, he might be more on the pace. Both drivers were commenting that the car is well balanced, so we know at least at Spain they should be good :lol:

I'm looking forward to it, I dont have any ideas for whos going to be quickest out of the box but I am hoping that Lotus manage to have an impressive opening weekend.

+1. My eyes will be locked on the Schuey Silver Arrow throughout the race. 👍
Ofcourse!!! He lost 2 championships from Alonso because of tyre-war. Now w/o traction control, with the same (slick) tyres for all, w/o KERS, with full loaded cars we will see throughout the season who THE KING MICHAEL is, especially if it rains.

I just picked this info up on the BBC site, it's probably old knowledge to most;

The top ten qualifying cars have to start the race on the tyres they ran in the final qualifying session.

This seems absolutely bonkers to me. Ultimately, does this mean the leading cars will have to pit earlier and potentially end up scrapping for positions way down the order, or take tenth on the grid and run long.

This is going to spoil the pole shoot-out imo.

Last edited:
Yeh its an odd rule and will probably stop the 'Everyone going for pole' game but you can see why its inplace.

Looking forward to these 3 second pit stops, the lollypop guy has a big job this season!

Who'll be the first to run out of fuel?

I can already picture all the red lights coming on and then going out to start the race!

It means an early morning on Canada's West Coast, but I will be there (in my new racing chair if the postman is quick!) Sunday morning.

I am picking Vettel to win the championship based on the talent he has displayed so far.

I just picked this info up on the BBC site, it's probably old knowledge to most;

The top ten qualifying cars have to start the race on the tyres they ran in the final qualifying session.

This seems absolutely bonkers to me. Ultimately, does this mean the leading cars will have to pit earlier and potentially end up scrapping for positions way down the order, or take tenth on the grid and run long.

This is going to spoil the pole shoot-out imo.
We had roughly the same situation last year where 10th place was penalised over 11th. 10th had to start on the fuel he qualified on, whilst 11th could pick whatever strategy he wanted.

Last edited:
Back