2010 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 369 comments
These new teams have had zero testing thanks to these silly "cost-cutting" anti-circuit testing measures which merely means teams have to funnel more money into simulations and computer modeling than ever before.

In my opinion, “cost-cutting” is what helped these teams enter the competition.

Anyway, the absolute awful climate generated last year by the FOTA/FIA “messing” have probably caused more harm to them. The uncertainty of their own fate didn’t helped team consolidation, persuade investors/sponsors, nor keeping a half-decent preparation schedule.

But lack of testing is what will ultimately mean they fail.

If Lotus and Virgin had had 2 weeks of solid testing you could bet your life they would be a damn sight closer.

Prost was basically Ligier with less Guy Ligier and more Alain Prost. Their most successful year (1997, its first) was with Ligier's chassis and championship-winning Renault engines.

Just one small correction, they used Mugen-Hondas, not Renaults. The last time Ligier used Renaults was 1993 I think, when they had Brundle and Blundell as drivers, that was their last competitive season.
The Mugen engines were good too though, and were quickly snatched up from Prost by Jordan, the Mugens then went on to be factory Honda engines when Honda returned properly in 99/2000. Prost then decided to use the rubbish Peugeots, possibly half because he wouldn't have pay drivers forced on him and partly to try and bring in French sponsors.

But anyway :lol:, I agree that Prost wasn't a new team, just a new team principal.

HRT had no testing. Even though the old "107% rule" of qualifying is gone (it was created in 1996), they still were within those parameters to make it to the race.

Just to point out - that HRT were the only team to not make it within the 107% rule...

Having said that - they weren't far away.

C.

But lack of testing is what will ultimately mean they fail.

If Lotus and Virgin had had 2 weeks of solid testing you could bet your life they would be a damn sight closer.

Thus my earlier comments that a rule of drivers/teams having to complete a minimum amount of testing before being allowed to race, is a must.

Has anyone seen the 5 minute highlights of this race in the official F1 website? - http://www.formula1.com/video/race_edits.html

You can pretty much call it a music video clip with formula one as the video instead of the artists/bands.

I'm quite a fan of them tbh. Some may not like the music they put on top but if I think its catchy and goes well with the race footage they decided to keep then I'll take it :D

P.S. - It's a pain how they make you sign up to see them now but it shouldn't take longer than 3 minutes..from what i remember anyway :lol:

Has anyone seen the 5 minute highlights of this race in the official F1 website?

Whomever the editor is that managed to drag 5 minutes of highlights out of that race, he needs some kind of medal.

Back