2010 Singapore Grand Prix

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
Monza marked the end of the 2010 European season, and now all that awaits us is the final flyaway leg - Singapore, Japan, Korea, Brazil and Abu Dhabi. After serious controversy in 2008 and a somewhat-processional race in 2009, the 2010 Singapore Grand Prix will prove to be one of the most critical races in the championship because no less than five drivers are not simply in contention for the World Championship, but they are all within one race win of controlling the points.

Round XV of the 2010 FIA Formula 1 World Championship is ...

2010 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix
from the Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore

Singapore-Street-Circuit-Track-Map-2010.jpg

2009 Results
1st - Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes)
2nd - Timo Glock (Toyota Racing)
3rd - Fernando Alonso (Renault F1)

2010 Standings (after fourteen races)
1st - Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) - 187pts
2nd - Lewis Hamilton (McLaren Mercedes) - 182pts
3rd - Fernando Alonso (Scuderia Ferrari) - 166pts
4th - Jenson Button (McLaren Mercedes) - 165pts
5th - Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) - 163pts

So, the stage is set: a good result here is either going to put someone in a commanding position (Webber or Hamilton) or simply put someone else (the rest of them) into the thick of it ahead of Suzuka. Spare a thought for Fernando Alonso, who has used up all eight of his engines; by comparison, everyone else has one fresh one, except for Webber, who has two.

2010 could also be the last time Singapore is run to this configuration, with talk at the beginning of the season suggesting that the organisers are considering shortening the circuit (by cutting the chicanes along the waterfront in the final sector) and raising the average speed of the lap (by going around the War Memorial instead of cutting down inside it) as Singapore currently has the longest laptime of any circuit on the calendar and the race often comes dangerously-close to the two-hour maximum allowable time.

Last edited:
Spare a thought for Fernando Alonso, who has used up all eight of his engines; by comparison, everyone else has one fresh one, except for Webber, who has two.​

Well, that means only Webber may have a fresher engine on the last two races.

A few minor changes have been made, mostly resurfacing in a few places and fixing the chicane at the bottom of the circuit.

I'm also having fun with the font size fuction in the OP ...

Good to hear Webber is in the best position with engines atm :D

I think RBR will be back at the front here but maybe not by as much as they and a lot of people think, although a lot will depend on the various new packages the teams are bringing to the last 5 races.

Who ever gets pole here will almost be guaranteed the win since so little passing takes plac here. As long as there pit stops are clean and they manage to not hit anybody or anything, this race will probably be a bore like usual.

I don't like how the end of the F1 season mainly visits countries that don't even give a toss about F1. Bernie and his $$$ eh..

Anyway, I'm going for Webber but I'd love to see Alonso win 👍

I'm pretty sure Rosberg didn't come second last year, he ran over the white line on the pit exit and got a drive through

GM
I'm pretty sure Rosberg didn't come second last year, he ran over the white line on the pit exit and got a drive through

Yep, Timo Glock got 2nd place last year.

EDIT - wouldn't it be fun if we got this result from this years Singapore GP ?

1st - Vettel - 25 points
2nd - Button - 18 points
3rd - Alonso - 15 points
4th - ........ (doesn't matter)
5th - ........ (doesn't matter)
6th - ........ (doesn't matter)
7th - Lewis Hamilton - 6 points
8th - ........ (doesn't matter)
9th - ........ (doesn't matter)
10th - Mark Webber - 1 point

That would leave us with the following standings:

1st "ex aequo" - Vettel, Webber, Hamilton - 188 points (too lazy to find who would actually be first according to the rules)

4th - Jenson Button - 183 points
5th - Fernando Alonso - 181 points

Last edited:
Who ever gets pole here will almost be guaranteed the win since so little passing takes plac here.

Pole position doesn't mean much when you've been getting the type of start RBR have of late. Hopefully that trend continues for the remainder of the season :sly:

It won't. Sorry, Ferrari.

I'm of course hoping for a RBR 1-2. This race is pivitol. Webber has DNF'd the two prevoius Singapore GP's. So let's hope thrid time is the charm.

Forza Red Bull! Forza Webber!:sly:

Yep, Timo Glock got 2nd place last year.

EDIT - wouldn't it be fun if we got this result from this years Singapore GP ?

1st - Vettel - 25 points
2nd - Button - 18 points
3rd - Alonso - 15 points
4th - ........ (doesn't matter)
5th - ........ (doesn't matter)
6th - ........ (doesn't matter)
7th - Lewis Hamilton - 6 points
8th - ........ (doesn't matter)
9th - ........ (doesn't matter)
10th - Mark Webber - 1 point

That would leave us with the following standings:

1st "ex aequo" - Vettel, Webber, Hamilton - 188 points (too lazy to find who would actually be first according to the rules)

4th - Jenson Button - 183 points
5th - Fernando Alonso - 181 points

I think Webber would be considered first because of race wins if that were to happen and with the kind of starts he has been getting it wouldnt suprise me if he was that far down.

Webber would be first, as he has 4 wins. Hamilton and Vettel would both have 3 wins; Hamilton would be second as he would have (has) 3 2nd places to Vettel's 1.

2010 cars are heavier than the 2009 cars, and the 2009 cars were really having serious brake problems last year. Remember when Webber's brakes exploded and he crashed? How are the teams when it comes to brakes heading into Singapore?

One question where on the track is the war memorial?
Turns 7-8-9. The proposal that the organisers are believed to be considering would see the back straight extended 200m, followed by a left-hander that leads onto a straight down to the chicane.

How are the teams when it comes to brakes heading into Singapore?
They've no doubt learned from it and come prepared for it.

I don't like how the end of the F1 season mainly visits countries that don't even give a toss about F1. Bernie and his $$$ eh..

Have you actually tried to buy tickets to the Singapore GP? They sell out quick. I'd say the Asian market gives a big toss about F1...

Excited about this race... despite not being able to go see it for the third time (first time I missed out on tickets, second I had work, now I'm too sick to go). This is going to be a very interesting race, and may be pivotal to the championship hopes of a number of contenders.

Okay... so interesting meaning "ooh aah, great lap" and not "My Lord! What an overtake!". But still... :lol:

Anyway, I'm going for Webber but I'd love to see Alonso win 👍

What you mean are countries that are not traditionally motorsport countries ie. European countries. Singapore, for example, has a huge foreign/expatriate population from all over the world including Europeans. And when F1 comes to town, you also get everyone from celebrities to famous/billionaires stopping over. Some of them may not be motorsport biggest fan but F1 can't survive on die-hard fans alone. The same for the last stop in Abu Dhabi.

You can's say that neither Japan nor Brazil don't give a toss about F1. That's just wrong. I don't know much about Korea when it comes to their enthusiasm about F1 but it's a new market and like Singapore, there's a lot of wealth to be had.

Finally, you'll be surprise how much the rest of the world gives a damn about F1. I remember growing up in Malaysia and wishing that one day there's a Malaysian Grand Prix. Twenty years later, it actually happens. Unfortunately by then, I've moved to Canada. Sadly, though, I've yet to attend a race in Montreal.

@ niky, filling grandstands in Singapore is completely different to filling them with Tifosi in Italy. It's the same with Moto GP and the festivities that happen in Europe that you don't see in Qatar or Asia.

@ myke, I didn't say all, Brazil have a long line of F1 drivers and Japan has competed with Toyota etc.

BTW to everyone who says this will be just a line of cars and it will be borring why does everyone rave about Monaco? Because its about spectacular crashes rather than overtaking and this track is the same. This is actualy my favorite track on the callender.

@ niky, filling grandstands in Singapore is completely different to filling them with Tifosi in Italy. It's the same with Moto GP and the festivities that happen in Europe that you don't see in Qatar or Asia.

Just because the crowd isn't Italian doesn't mean that they're not going to party. (In fact, there's going to be a whole bunch of parties, shows, concerts, etcetera... accompanying the race) Singapore is one of the biggest buzz-generating events in the entire region... drawing more tourists and crowds than Malaysia, China or the other GPs...

You've never attended an NBA game in Asia, have you? Just because these aren't our "home teams", doesn't mean that the interest and excitement isn't there.

-

You're confusing "history" and "heritage" with "interest". There is huge interest in F1 in emerging markets like Singapore. There just isn't any history or heritage... though as the first night race in F1, I think they're attempting to create the history as they go along.

I'm not getting into a thing over this.

Sepang, Singapore, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc hold nothing on Spa, Monza, Monte Carlo etc - that's my opinion.

Speaking of new grand prix being added just read this on planet F1
http://planetf1.com/news/18227/6391504/Bernie-Twenty-races-per-year-is-the-limit
I will of course take this as confirmation of at least 22 races for the 2012 season :sly:

Seriously though these boring new tilke tracks just dont have the same feeling as the old favourites I would rather see some of these crappy new tracks canned and bring back places like Imola and Estoril and Buenos Aires and Jerez

Back