2011 Australian Grand Prix

Why is lotus racing this year?

In my view their too slow and are a hazard.

Sure you have the right team there? :confused: They're probably faster than Virgin and HRT, should see them on the tail end of the midfield atleast.

As per usual, I am rooted firmly in Fernando Alonso's camp.

I haven't bothered to check which team he's with, although I'm inclined to think his Ferrari contract was more than one year...

Why is lotus racing this year?

In my view their too slow and are a hazard.

:dunce: Guess Ayrton Senna in his Toleman was too slow and a hazard qualifying 5 seconds off the pole at Brazil? Where do you people come from? Do you not follow racing at all?

Bee
Sure you have the right team there? :confused: They're probably faster than Virgin and HRT, should see them on the tail end of the midfield atleast.

Heard it said on the TV after the crash with Webber and Kovalainen.

I know Kovalainen had the right to defend and Webber was asking for it following that close.

But the lotus in 2010 were not as fast as the front runners, but from what i have read this was due to funding.

If they can keep up with the front runners this year it will be good as it means more competition.

Lotus were a brand new team, you cannot expect them to develop a car as fast as Adrian Newey's brilliance first time out. They also have significantly less money to spend, although that wasn't the entire reason for being 2 seconds off, thats more to do with only having less than 6 months to build the team and car.
They (and Virgin and HRT) did as good a job as any brand new team has ever done in my opinion. Nothing unsafe about it and they weren't too slow.

There will always be teams slower than the top teams, as long as they have their own battles then it is all good racing. Believe it or not, you can gain as much excitement following the backmarkers battling it out as you can the leaders.

Lotus won't be keeping up with Ferrari and Red Bull. If they are keeping up with Force India then they have done a great job in my opinion. Maybe making Q2 in qualifying could be a possible goal and finally scoring points at one of the more extreme races.

Gilles Villeneuve racing around the Montreal circuit in the rain; Fall leaves on the track and missing his front nose; finished 2nd (?) if I remember right.

Yes, a longtime fan; even went to Canadian Grand Prix in the early 80s

Okay, it's one more hour until first practice. Anyone else gonna catch it on BBC Sport multiscreen? Can't wait to just see all the cars run. I hope Hispania turn out okay - GO HORMONES! Zeros may one day be Heroes!

*GO: LEWIS! KAMUI! RUBENS! NICO! OBI-WAN (Heidfeld)!*

Jeez, I know working night shift can make you crazy, but wow. Did you drink Red Bull?
That said, I am very excited to get my F1 fix finally after all these months.

Watching it on GO!.

Quick question: I heard that the Australian F1 GP may be replaced by a race in New York, is it true or just a rumor?

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the DRS active zone has been changed. It was originally planned to encompass the final 600m of the main straight, but now it can be used from the final corner, meaning the active area is over 860m. The detection and activation indicator lines have also been spread further apart to give a driver more time to notice the light on his steering wheel that shows him his wing can be deployed.

It's a little bit last-minute to be doing it like this, but I think I like this system better. Having it available for the final 600m of the main straight seemed needlessly complex; allowing it on the main straight seems much more sensible. Most circuits only really have one major straight on them. Though I'm not sure what they'll do at Seang ...

interludes
Though I'm not sure what they'll do at Seang ...

Sepang maybe? :) I reckon they would have to do it before the 1st long straight, ie, not the pit straight.

I am so very pumped for F1 2011. I chucked a sickie today, and what a day to have off! can't wait to see the cars in action for the first time!

EDIT: And Chandok hits the wall!

Last edited:
That's kind of lame. Overtaking with less downforce over the length of just about any straight doesn't seem that difficult. I'll have to wait to see it in action. On circuits like Sepang, Catalunya, and Monza where the straights are quite long overtaking could be too easy.

Quick question: I heard that the Australian F1 GP may be replaced by a race in New York, is it true or just a rumor?[/QUOTE]

Probably just a rumor, However wouldnt surprise me with the melbourne GP situation.

Is it because I've been without F1 for months, or do the cars really sound better than last year?

Grayfox
Watching it on GO!.

Quick question: I heard that the Australian F1 GP may be replaced by a race in New York, is it true or just a rumor?

A lot of politics being played here in Melbourne. Arguments over cost verses value etc. Also night racing due to the time zone is being discussed.

Weather is no good. Should rain on and off all weekend and be around 20 degrees celcius during the day.

Formula One is underway and Chandhok has already found the wall. :lol:
When the car came to a halt, the rear-right was seriously deformed. I haven't seen a full replay of the accident (OneHD has live streaming of practice sessions, and my uni was one of the first places to get hokked up to the NBN!), but it looks like he could have gone wide, picked up some debris and carved the tyre apart unintentionally.

Also, James Allen is doing some commentary for OneHD, and he's actually pretty good. He does talk a lot, but he's not getting carried away with it. He's actually pretty knowledgeable, certainly better than Legard.

When the car came to a halt, the rear-right was seriously deformed. I haven't seen a full replay of the accident (OneHD has live streaming of practice sessions, and my uni was one of the first places to get hokked up to the NBN!), but it looks like he could have gone wide, picked up some debris and carved the tyre apart unintentionally.

Also, James Allen is doing some commentary for OneHD, and he's actually pretty good. He does talk a lot, but he's not getting carried away with it. He's actually pretty knowledgeable, certainly better than Legard.

Firstly - Lotus have said it was driver error. Karun spun all on his own it seems.
Secondly - Don't start on James Allen! Just because he doesn't get carried away from the off, doesn't mean he won't ever. Of course he is knowledgeable..that was never a criticism of him.

Looks like the new Pirellli tires kinda suck compared to the Bridgestones

This is going to be a really long season, eh? Sigh.

Pirelli has intentionally designed wearing tyres after the teams asked them to. Its to help improve the "show" and create more overtaking (as drivers on different states of tyres creates the overtaking situations like in the old days). So no, they don't "suck".
I direct you to http://www.autosport.com/ as you might find it useful for keeping up to date. ;)

Back