2011 Chinese Grand Prix

Still, there was no course-wide yellow on that lap... and I don't recall an incident causing a local yellow in that area at that point... I guess the replays will show it better, but I doubt he would have passed under an actual yellow.

Vettel almost gave himself a penalty back there, weaving to prevent the first pass.

EDIT: Strange, how Mark's epic drive overshadow's Lewis's epic overtaking...

The point is it was a yellow light which Vettel likely reacted to. He would have been toast anyway before the end of the race. I don't know why it was even flashing, but it was, and Hamilton overtook.

Stunning drive from Webber, very exciting to watch. Fantastic drive from Lewis as well. 👍

How did Button get a negative three? :lol:

Easy.
Pit at wrong box = -1
Fall asleep when Hamilton is behind you = -1
Lose podium on last lap to a car that started 18th = -1

Okay, perhaps 7/10 is more accurate. I like -3/10 better though. :sly:

Easy.
Pit at wrong box = -1
Fall asleep when Hamilton is behind you = -1
Lose podium on last lap to a car that started 18th = -1

Okay, perhaps 7/10 is more accurate. I like -3/10 better though.

Considering Button discharged the last bit of his available KERS he was doomed either way. Mark was just sprinting!

Great driving by Hamilton and especially Webber, but I think Vettel isn't getting as much credit as he deserves. Without the pit hearing him he was pretty much at the mercy of whatever info was being relayed to him, as well as the KERS issue, the 2 stop strategy and the horrible start off the line he still pulled off a 2nd place finish. If that's not scary I don't know what is.

Two stops was obviously the wrong choice today. Vettel, both Ferraris, Petrov were all doing two stops and lost out.

Remember when Hamilton had dropped behind Vettel and Massa and it had looked like his race was falling apart.

Best race iv'e seen for quite a while, shame about buttons mistakes, and even bigger shame that red bull finished 2-3 with dirk and bruce

Considering Button discharged the last bit of his available KERS he was doomed either way. Mark was just sprinting!

Joking aside, he was at a tyre disadvantage as well.

To those of you who think Hamilton took the lead under a yellow flag. I have looked at my recording and it is not a yellow flag. It is a yellow and red advertising marker.

The point is it was a yellow light which Vettel likely reacted to. He would have been toast anyway before the end of the race. I don't know why it was even flashing, but it was, and Hamilton overtook.

Strange... they didn't show the overtake from Hamilton's onboard camera in the highlights reel, and no other yellow lights were evident in the following corners.

There were no incidents on previous laps in that particular corner, either, from what I can recall.

And as Vettel didn't mention it or complain about it in the post-race conference, I believe he doesn't think Hamilton pulled a fast one there, either.

That was a fantastic race from start to finish. I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat. Well worth staying up all night!

I still can not believe Webber finished 3rd. He was clearly driving with a chip on his shoulder. And a great team effort by McLaren. They worked their butts off just to get Ham's car on the track before the pits closed. Ferrari seems to be stuck in neutral, but at least Kobayashi scored some more points!

It's going to be a long 3 weeks leading up to Turkey. Anyway, I'm going to bed. What a great race!

Championship points:

1 Sebastian Vettel 68
2 Lewis Hamilton 47
3 Jenson Button 38
4 Mark Webber 37
5 Fernando Alonso 26
6 Felipe Massa 24
7 Vitaly Petrov 17
8 Nick Heidfeld 15
9 Nico Rosberg 10
10 Kamui Kobayashi 7
11 Michael Schumacher 6
12 Sebastien Buemi 4
13 Adrian Sutil 2
14 Paul di Resta 2
15 Jaime Alguersuari 0
16 Jarno Trulli 0
17 Rubens Barrichello 0
18 Jerome d’Ambrosio 0
19 Heikki Kovalainen 0
20 Timo Glock 0
21 Sergio Perez 0
22 Pastor Maldonado 0
23 Vitantonio Liuzzi 0
24 Narain Karthikeyan 0

Webber is back!!! We all knew a Mclaren would get a win eventually. A very competitive car and more reliable than the Red Bulls. But how about the two Merc's? They're finially getting there **** together. And Massa had a good run, falling off due to the 2 vs 3 stops.

Vettel's line about everyone wanting to stop in their pits had me laughing. However Webbers comment about his teammate finially being beaten was un-called for. He seems like a bit of a child sometimes, jealous of his younger brother. And there's no reason for him to be, since he is just as fast or faster on ocasion.

Driver fastest lap times:

Webber - 01:38.993
Hamilton - 01:40.415
Button - 01:40.623
Vettel - 01:41.321

Webber was a man with a mission.

And for comparison's sake:

Trulli - 01:42.052
Alonso - 01:42.070

Sad vettel lost first place but his start was terrible (red bull need to work on their KERS) and his tires got to him at the end of the race

Couldn't be happier the way the race went for webber. It looked like he was not going to make points in the start but really pushed and showed what he and the red bull car are capable of.

Fantastic race! Great drive from Webber and great drive from Hamilton. It just goes to show how important it is to save some fresh tires for the race, these two guys proved that.

Webber's come back both here and in Malaysia go to show the interesting charecteristics of the pirelli tyres. It seems like having unused sets of tyres gives you a massive advantage over a previously scrubbed set. It appeared to help Hamilton a fair bit to, even though he only saved the one set.

Best three races I have seen

1) Brazil 2008
2) Spa 2008
3) China 2011

As Mr. David Coulthard said- "Thank you Pirelli"! The new tyres have brought back mid-race strategy that we lost in the refueling ban

Great race by Webber. That was a fantastic 2nd half of the race. He got Fastest lap by over a second, and probably overtook more people than anyone else (don't hold me to that!).

Even as a RBR fan, I am glad to see someone else win, even if Webber's post race comment sounded very out of line. I know what he ment, but when he said it, he sounded quite jealous.

Last edited:
Most entertaining nail biting race in a long time, Webber must have had the open wheel version of the X1 out today, he was on fire.

Back