2011 Chinese Grand Prix

I know this is very off topic but it definately isn't worth starting a new thread for so I was wondering. Why does it seem so difficult to find videos of driver's qualifying laps from the last couple of years? I mean there's plenty of onboard stuff which is ok, but sometimes it's nice to watch the lap from the cameras stationed around the circuit. Is it because of the qualifying layout that the cameras dont follow a driver's whole lap? Anything past about 2006 seems to only have onboard footage and I just miss seeing how much the car moves about whilst it's being pushed to it's limit.

I know this is very off topic but it definately isn't worth starting a new thread for so I was wondering. Why does it seem so difficult to find videos of driver's qualifying laps from the last couple of years? I mean there's plenty of onboard stuff which is ok, but sometimes it's nice to watch the lap from the cameras stationed around the circuit. Is it because of the qualifying layout that the cameras dont follow a driver's whole lap? Anything past about 2006 seems to only have onboard footage and I just miss seeing how much the car moves about whilst it's being pushed to it's limit.

Probably could thank Ecclestone for that. I'm surprised people still can't subscribe to live streaming video for F1 races, practices and qualifying sessions like you can with MotoGP. I could dump my cable provider if that happened.

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but here's the DRS info for China:

http://en.espnf1.com/china/motorsport/story/45956.html

The straight is the second longest in Formula One, and in order to prevent overtaking becoming too easy, drivers will not be allowed to activate the DRS until a point that is 0.56 miles from turn 14, while the full length of the straight is actually 0.73 miles. The detection point to measure the gap between drivers is located in turn 12.

drs_zone_shanghai-470x609.gif

If all they want is overtaking at hairpins why not just re-build this?

trk_reims.jpg

Simples.

new5_muttley.gif

That said I am looking forward to Shanghiai, will be interesting to see how the the Red Bulls fare.

Grayfox
Yes that is a good one but what about the orginal Hockenheim-Ring, i miss this track.

Agreed. Unfortunately the old forest section is no more. Check it on google earth.

I'm just hoping that williams get a finish uder their belt this weekend. After 2 double DNFs, they really need a points finish:ouch:. I can't say I agree with them signing Maldonado though, he just doesn't seem fast enough.

Edit: 50th post :D

This weekend, Mercedes better put on a good performance while Lotus Renault needs to continue their impressive performance. On the other hand, Team Lotus did a good job in Sepang by finishing 15th for Heikki so it'd be good if they can take both cars to the finish line without any reliability issues.

Another long straight and a tight turn 14 hairpin, I'm expecting some more actions with the DRS.

I've never really understood the love for the old Hockenheim. Sure, it was an epic circuit, but as Martin Brundle pointed out during last year's German Grand Prix, it was actually pretty boring. The drivers just sat there doing nothing between corners, and the race was always won by whoever had the best engine. It was symbolic of the 1980s engine wars, but there's no place for it in today's sport.

I've never really understood the love for the old Hockenheim. Sure, it was an epic circuit, but as Martin Brundle pointed out during last year's German Grand Prix, it was actually pretty boring. The drivers just sat there doing nothing between corners, and the race was always won by whoever had the best engine. It was symbolic of the 1980s engine wars, but there's no place for it in today's sport.

If it was used today.

With KERS and DRS all engines will be redlining alot and it will be a war of engine management and reliability.

But i guess i just love things from the 80's.

If it was used today.

With KERS and DRS all engines will be redlining alot and it will be a war of engine management and reliability.

But i guess i just love things from the 80's.

I'm sure they could just lengthen the gear ratios?

Yeah, but you can only lengthen the ratios so far.

Actually, you can lengthen ratios significantly its just that it starts to compromise acceleration and corner control negatively (with regard to being at a suitable engine speed for each corner). There are ways round this of course, its just case of compromise. That said, no matter the negative impacts on acceleration an corner control, you can bet they would always gear the car for maximum speed, as you stand to loose far too much time on Hockenheims straights.

I bet Martin Brundle also found Le Mans boring ...

Now seriously, the Old Hockenheim wasn't boring. And it was very different from some of these latest (boring) circuit configurations of Looooooooooooong straights leading into tiiiiight hairpins.

Anyone who played this track in gaming (I can remember it from GPL and from Microprose's Grand Prix) knows that slowing down from top speed to a wide chicane or corner is not just hitting full braking at the precise point and downshift like crazy from 7th to 2nd or 1st.

Old Hockenheim had grandeur, something that seriously lacks in modern (even if big) tracks. My two cents

It might be a very boring old track but it is a million times better than anything Tilke has come up with. (I know it's not his fault but he gets the blame anyway.)

It might be a very boring old track but it is a million times better than anything Tilke has come up with. (I know it's not his fault but he gets the blame anyway.)
It's not as good as Istanbul or Sepang. They provide actual challenges to drivers rather than "Who can sit on the accelerator for the longest". Austin is shaping up to be pretty good, too.

lots of edits around here recently :D

But I agree with the deleted/edited part of interludes post. Let's go back to Shanghai.

I'm hoping:

RBR doesn't win. Nothing against the RBR boys, but a single-team's dominance kills the fun (only years I stopped watching all F1 races were the Schumacher-Ferrari dominance years)

Williams gets some points

Paul di Resta scores again. I like the guy

Another good race from Heikk, Heidfeld and Kobayashi, also drivers I like

Couldn't care less who wins. But if I had to pick I'd go with Heidfeld's maiden victory. That's something I'd like to see happening this season.

Hispania finishes the race is also a possibility.

Its not completely impossible that Hispania can eventually overtake Virgin on outright pace too...

I edited part of my post? Let me see ...

... Oh, I see what I did there. I meant to put more into my post, but accidentally over-wrote the original stuff.

My prediction;-

Qualifying:
McLaren and Red Bull lock out the front two rows of the grid again, this time with Hamilton on pole. Maldonado and Perez fail to make Q2 allowing Heikki to get in to Q2 for the first time. Schumacher finally makes it in to Q3 and Di Resta outqualifies Sutil again.

Race:
Button gets a good start and goes in to the first corner 2nd, only to collide with Vettel in to corner 2/3 (the tight left hander). Hamilton wins ahead of Webber and Alonso gets Ferrari's first podium. 4th and 5th places are taken up by both Mercedes after Lotus Renault have a poor race. Also Di Resta gets another points finish to make it three in a row!

Interesting to see where it will be used in Monaco

Doubt it will be used, unless they can de-activate it going into the tunnel and activate it going out again. Don't worry, the new tyres will make overtaking ;).

Last edited:
Back