2011 Chinese Grand Prix

I would have guessed that the chinese government would have wanted no smog causing things to stop so the air is clean for the event, like they did for the olympics.

Apparently they've always closed the local factories down during GP week, but for some reason they haven't done, at least so far.

Second free practise:

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing 1:37,688 Min.
2 Lewis Hamilton McLaren Mercedes 1:37,854 Min. + 0,166
3 Jenson Button McLaren Mercedes 1:37,935 Min. + 0,247
4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes Grand Prix 1:37,943 Min. + 0,255
5 Michael Schumacher Mercedes Grand Prix 1:38,105 Min. + 0,417
6 Felipe Massa Scuderia Ferrari 1:38,507 Min. + 0,819
7 Adrian Sutil Force India F1 Team 1:38,735 Min. + 1,047
8 Nick Heidfeld Lotus Renault GP 1:38,805 Min. + 1,117
9 Vitali Petrov Lotus Renault GP 1:38,859 Min. + 1,171
10 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1:39,327 Min. + 1,639
11 Kamui Kobayashi Sauber F1 1:39,538 Min. + 1,850
12 Pastor Maldonado Williams F1 1:39,667 Min. + 1,979
13 Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:39,771 Min. + 2,083
14 Fernando Alonso Scuderia Ferrari 1:39,779 Min. + 2,091
15 Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:39,828 Min. + 2,140
16 Rubens Barrichello Williams F1 1:39,925 Min. + 2,237
17 Sergio Perez Sauber F1 1:39,953 Min. + 2,265
18 Heikki Kovalainen Team Lotus 1:40,476 Min. + 2,788
19 Jarno Trulli Team Lotus 1:41,482 Min. + 3,794
20 Narain Karthikeyan Hispania Racing 1:42,902 Min. + 5,214
21 Vitantonio Liuzzi Hispania Racing 1:43,850 Min. + 6,162
22 Jerome D'Ambrosio Marussia Virgin Racing 1:44,008 Min. + 6,320
23 Timo Glock Marussia Virgin Racing 1:44,747 Min. + 7,059
24 Paul di Resta Force India F1 Team - -

I would have guessed that the chinese government would have wanted no smog causing things to stop so the air is clean for the event, like they did for the olympics.

Every previous year factories were forced to close a week prior to the event to prevent smog, this is the first year they haven't closed the factories. I guess the organisers feel they've made their impression, and are starting to slack. :sly:

[edit]Tree'd

I know it's hardly at full pelt, but have HRT made some ground on Virgin? :)

I know it's hardly at full pelt, but have HRT made some ground on Virgin? :)

Certainly seems so. I know practice isn't much to go by, but Virgin don't seem to have made much progress. Why Timo stayed with them, I don't know.

Glock is a great driver. Virgin is lucky to have him.

I'm not debating that. What I'm wondering is why he didn't try to switch teams... Suppose there weren't many spaces this year, but I think he'll always regret panicking when Toyota pulled out of F1 and signing for the first team that offered him a drive.

Had he kept his cool at the end of 09, that renault drive was as good as his.

The Renault drive wasn't looking a safe bet with rumours of Renault leaving the sport, which they technically did. Having just lost a drive because of manufacturer withdrawal, Glock probably felt it was better to go with a team with a bit more of a concrete future, even if it might not be as long term.

Its also painfully obvious that the second drive at Renault had a price on it....unless you really think Renault would have gone for Glock instead of Kubica.

There weren't many other seats to go to, Force India was locked out due to Liuzzi being contracted, Toro Rosso too, Hispania was looking for cash, Lotus already had signed two race-winners and everyone else had already signed contracts.
Sauber might have been a possibility, but again, that team had an uncertain future after BMW pulled out. (and there was that mysterious Qadbak thing).

Its a shame as Glock is a pretty good driver, and now he's going to get overlooked due to some high potential newbies (Kobayashi, di Resta, Hulkenburg, Perez).

Last edited:
The Renault drive wasn't looking a safe bet with rumours of Renault leaving the sport, which they technically did. Having just lost a drive because of manufacturer withdrawal, Glock probably felt it was better to go with a team with a bit more of a concrete future, even if it might not be as long term.

Its also painfully obvious that the second drive at Renault had a price on it....unless you really think Renault would have gone for Glock instead of Kubica.

There weren't many other seats to go to, Force India was locked out due to Liuzzi being contracted, Toro Rosso too, Hispania was looking for cash, Lotus already had signed two race-winners and everyone else had already signed contracts.
Sauber might have been a possibility, but again, that team had an uncertain future after BMW pulled out. (and there was that mysterious Qadbak thing).

Its a shame as Glock is a pretty good driver, and now he's going to get overlooked due to some high potential newbies (Kobayashi, di Resta, Hulkenburg, Perez).

Where exactly can his Career go now? Every season with Virgin is only going to dent his reputation. Especially if they continue to put him up against rookies. He's can't really make an impression in that car.

Well, he didn't and doesn't have much choice does he? He still has a chance to secure a midfield seat, but as I said, there are some very promising newbies around now to fill those seats. Glock is now sort of in the position that Heidfeld has repeatedly found himself in - which is amusing as I remember some people saying Heidfeld was a fool for refusing to lower himself and drive for a backmarker team...as Glock is now displaying that is rarely a path to a long future.

While were on the subject of experienced drivers in the new teams, I feel Kovalainen is getting way too much praise for his efforts at Lotus. It seems almost entirely based on the relative performance to Trulli who everyone seems to think has lost it and is struggling to find motivation. If anyone had cared to have followed Lotus at all, they would know that Trulli has been exceptionally unlucky with reliability and its not surprising he isn't able to back up or beat Kovalainen consistently. Trulli has always been a vocal moaner, so I don't really see it as him losing motivation. Kovalainen has always seemed to have a positive attitude and does seem more comfortable at Lotus, but I don't agree with all this praise he gets.
I'm getting really sick of reading the same old comments on Trulli lately, there are many reasons to not like him, but I don't think he has lost his skills or his motivation.
I do like Kovalainen, possibly more than Trulli, but I feel like I'm the only one who bothered to follow more than 1 team's progess through the seasons...

Last edited:
Can't forget about Sutil in this discussion on underrated drivers. He's one of the best. Force India is getting to be a better team so hopefully he can promote himself to a good race seat in the near future.

Eh, Sutil isn't under-rated these days. People keep putting him up for possible Renault and Mercedes drives (even Ferrari drives!), so clearly people feel he is decent. I don't think he is anything more than that.
Currently di Resta is effectively matching him in his rookie season, I fear Sutil needs to pull some stunners this season otherwise Hulkenburg is waiting in the wings on the Force India merry-go-round.
One of the best? :lol: I don't see any evidence of that.

Force India are also in somewhat of a critical season as they have lost a lot of good staff the past few months.

I don't feel Kovalainen, Glock or Trulli are under-rated, so much as just not in the headlines. I think most people rate all 3 fairly well, thats the impression I get from most message boards (although as I mentioned, Trulli is getting a real beating for his bad luck!).

Rossticles
Can't forget about Sutil in this discussion on underrated drivers. He's one of the best. Force India is getting to be a better team so hopefully he can promote himself to a good race seat in the near future.

I actually think Sutil is one of the most overrated drivers. There has been the odd moment of brilliance, but far too many stupid mistakes. He had his best season in 2010, but I still rate kobayashi, glock and yes, even petrov higher so I think he'll be staying put for now. The fact that Sutil thought he deserved a seat in a top team after 2009 was laughable.

Edit: Sutil would be wise to endear himself to the team. He keeps making comments about "moving on", but no other teams come up with offers. One day he might just find himself out in the cold.

One of the best? :lol: I don't see any evidence of that.
I definitely don't mean one of the best drivers on the grid. He's, like you said, the next person to make a major leap up to a great team. I don't see any seats becoming available in the top teams other than possibly Massa's. Unfortunately. It's also hard to say how much longer Red Bull is going to have Mark. Don't read too much into that.

I didn't say he was likely to move to a top team, I did say that the general opinion of him must be fairly high if people keep suggesting his name to fill in those seats.
I don't see any of the top teams giving Sutil the chance, only top-midfield teams like Renault or Mercedes are possibilities. The top teams want proven talent, not inconsistent points scorers.

I think Sutil has worked hard enough to earn his seat at say Mercedes so I think his comments about "moving on" are fair. He has been at Force India/Spyker for ages now. But I don't think he is race-winner material, a regular points and possible podium driver is more what I see. Certainly not a championship contender without being extremely lucky.

I don't see how Petrov is better than Sutil. Sutil has never had the machinery Petrov has had for both seasons. Petrov is full of mistakes still too, if anything they are equivelants of each other!

Petrov has only had one season, granted in much better machinery, but I personally see more potential in him. I don't think sutil has done enough to earn a spot with a better team.

As for people moving up to better teams, there are so many people more deserving than Sutil, I can't ever see him moving up.

Edit: Back on topic, Vettel looks very strong today.

Last edited:
If they don't get that sorted out they are going to lose a lot of places on the back straight.

The skies definitely look more clear than they did yesterday.

I didn't say he was likely to move to a top team, I did say that the general opinion of him must be fairly high if people keep suggesting his name to fill in those seats.
You wrote it, you said it. I'm not going to argue semantics.

edit: The teams look like they're getting ready for that last quick lap right about now.

Last edited:

Semantics? How about facts? I did not say such a thing. This was my original quote:

Eh, Sutil isn't under-rated these days. People keep putting him up for possible Renault and Mercedes drives (even Ferrari drives!), so clearly people feel he is decent. I don't think he is anything more than that.

Please don't attribute me to opinions I did not give, I did not say Sutil is next in line for a top drive, I actually said I don't think he is anything more than merely decent. I never suggested I felt Sutil was good enough for a top drive, I've made it quite clear I feel only Mercedes/Renault is a possibility....and just that - a possibility, I don't see it as a certainty.

If you don't want me to say you said it, don't write it. It's the same damn thing. I'm not saying you believe it, but you wrote it which was all I was implying. It's not this big of a deal.

Button's race suit looked cool. I didn't notice if Hamilton had the same one, but Button's was vibrant. I wonder what the occasion is.

It's 2hrs to qualifying.

Where's Webber on that prediction? As far as FP3 goes Mercedes GP seemed to have stepped it up again. Rosberg was at the top for quite some time. Schumacher wasn't far behind either.

Back