2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 833 comments
Jamaica
Kingston, Jamaica
pj-gm
PJwasHere876
2 weeks go by shortly as we head to a revamped Silverstone circuit for the second half of the Formula 1 World Championship.

2011 British Grand Prix
@ Silverstone​

800px-silverstone_circuit_2010_version.png

Join Lewis Hamilton on a tour of the track:

[YOUTUBEHD]iTzAGqfCSbU[/YOUTUBEHD]​

Race Date: 10 Jul 2011
Number of Laps: 52
Circuit Length: 5.891 km
Race Distance: 306.227 km
Lap Record: 1:30.874 - F Alonso (2010)​
2010 Results:
1st - Mark Webber (RBR-Renault)
2nd - Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes)
3rd - Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

2011 Championship Standings:
1st. Sebastian Vettel (RBR-Renault) - 186pts
2nd. Jenson Button (McLaren Mercedes) - 109pts
3rd. Mark Webber (RBR-Renault) - 109pts.

Well, we come to a new Silverstone with a new start-finish straight and pitlane, but the most talked about things are of course, the new rules regarding exhaust blown diffusers. There is now a limitation on them, and that is set to hurt everyone with the exception of the Cosworth engined teams, but the ones to be hurt the most are the Renault engined teams, which includes front running, championship sweeping Red Bull. Red Bull has admitted that this could cost them around half a second of time, but have sounded pretty comfortable and unworried about their championship lead being compromised by it, while their rivals McLaren and Ferrari, have said that this may bring forth a second chapter of the 2011 championship. Thinking back to the mass dampers Renault had in 2006 being banned half season, ending Alonso's dominance and bringing Ferrari back to the winning circle, we could very well see something like that happen.

A few teams are bringing some big upgrade packages to Silverstone, Ferrari most notably, with HRT also bringing in some new upgrades in their pursuit of Lotus for 10th in the constructors. Speaking of HRT, Australian Daniel Riccardo makes his debut for the team in a partnership with HRT and Red Bull for him to be evaluated with them, replacing Karthikeyan for the time being.

Last edited:
Red Bull to win. End Of Story.Or rather, Vettel. Still going to be intrigued by new track layout.

Well if it's a wet race then Hamilton is surely going to be massively strong likewise for Button in changeable conditions, however if it's dry then it'll be a Red Bull walkover. Again!

The forecast for Silverstone this weekend:

Friday Morning
Temperature: 15°C
Sunny with cloudy periods. Windy at times.

Friday Afternoon
Temperature: 17°C
A mix of cloud and sun with a chance of showers. Slight chance of a thunderstorm. Windy at times.

Saturday Morning
Temperature: 14°C

Saturday Afternoon
Sunny with cloudy periods with a slight chance of showers. Windy at times.

Sunday, July 10th, 2011
Overnight
Temperature: 12°C
Clear.

Sunday Morning
Temperature: 13°C

Sunday Afternoon
Sunny with cloudy periods with a slight chance of showers. Windy at times.

So it may get wet 👍

Well if it's a wet race then Hamilton is surely going to be massively strong likewise for Button in changeable conditions, however if it's dry then it'll be a Red Bull walkover. Again!

Surely you are aware that Vettel is very good in the wet too?

It's not Tuesd--. I don't even care, and neither should you :P.

Vettel for the pole and win. You heard it here first, folks :D

I really don't care if its tuesday yet, but the OP is missing the tire compounds. As of now, the soft and hard compounds will be run.

And hopefully this blown diffuser rule will finally slow down Vettel.

GO McLaren!

Vettel pole, Team Alonso win, probably Alonso but maybe Massa.

I don't care who wins, as long as it isn't a Vettel doesn't lead from lap 1 as usual (if Vettel wins but pulls off some good overtaking etc. than that's ok!)

Will be backing Alonso for a victory and Di Resta for some points. Go lads go! 👍

I'm going there on Thursday with some mates for the entire weekend. So excited!

I don't have proof, but it's not going to slow down Vettel more than anyone else.

Yes, it will. Red Bull has the best running one, and their car is built quite a lot around that diffuser. Their set to lose the most from it. Them and Renault, as Renault has made their engines to have the most aggressive engine maps to blow as much air as possible.

Yes, it will. Red Bull has the best running one, and their car is built quite a lot around that diffuser. Their set to lose the most from it. Them and Renault, as Renault has made their engines to have the most aggressive engine maps to blow as much air as possible.

I dunno, renault figure it will hurt themselves less than it will hurt everybody else. Heres some quotes from James Allison and Nick Heidfeld:

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2011/7/12253.html -Interview with Allison
and
"And, with the new regulation changes it’s going to be exciting; some people think nothing will change, some think that we will see changes but it is all just guesswork. A number of people think we will be one of the teams most badly hit (by the changes), but I doubt it" -Heidfeld

Courtesy of Formula1.com

I figure Williams may benefit from this as they were running the season so far without a blown diffuser. It will probably move them closer to the rest of the midfield anyways.

I'm going over to the circuit on Thursday to try and blag my way in and meet some drivers. I'll let you know how I get on, I'll be using the same approach I used in 2009, which worked.

I wonder if Hamilton will get a podium finish in this race, got a feeling he'll get 3rd.

Not a chance. Pirelli are bringing the hard tyres to Silverstone, and last time Ferrari used the, Alonso finished a lap down.

Ohh how you must always shoot any Alonso fan down at every race thread. Forgetting the fact that that track was a very aerodynamic dependent track, a lot more than Silverstone is, and Alonso pitted an extra time because of a blister on his tyre.

Back