2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 833 comments
Don't think Massa will be kicked out of Ferrari, I mean it is rare to find drivers willing to play second fiddle. Not that I think Massa enjoys it, but seems to live in a unique world where he is equal to Alonso....

Can see Webber seats being vacant soon. He doesn't want to be there, they don't want him there. That is all poorly hidden really, but the only problem for them is finding a replacement. Someone young I'd imagine, i.e any of the red bull juniors.

Thanks for sharing that footage of Alonso, I hate him but it is good to see someone drive those golden oldies the way they were meant to be driven!

Massa hasn't exactly got 1st driver status since Alonso joined. At Silverstone, Ferrari left him out too long, when he could have easily got past Hamilton and maybe onto the podium.
Its like Ferrari were just focused on Alonso and forgot that they had another driver out there.

Massa hasn't exactly got 1st driver status since Alonso joined. At Silverstone, Ferrari left him out too long, when he could have easily got past Hamilton and maybe onto the podium.
Its like Ferrari were just focused on Alonso and forgot that they had another driver out there.

Exactly how Brundle put it in commentary.
"Is Alonso fully serviced? Ok, then bring our other driver in."

I read through the thread and MAN I WANT TO SEE THIS RACE NOW!! HAS SOMEBODY A LIIIIIIIIIINNKKKKKKKKKKKK?

No doubt! For a lot of drivers though, winning means more than any sum of money. Depends what you are after from Motor racing....

I'm sure it does. But i suspect the pros of staying at Ferrari outweigh the cons of moving to another team where he could be top dog. I doubt any team that regularly competes in Q3 would have any interest in his services now. I'm sure he still has the drive to win and compete for championships, but when that door closes i'm sure earning buckets full of cash and racing a car that could still win races is a decent compromise.

Hey I totally missed this before. Apparently Alonso's SECOND lap was not in the program but turns out he enjoyed the car so much in "parade" rhythm that he couldn't help himself from doing a second, more LIVELY :sly: lap. Funny Ecclestone's face when he realizes it :lol:

Spanish commentators voices are very annoying, but the second lap and all the oversteering is well worth watching the video 👍
I want that car... in my life!

It's too bad they couldn't throw up the telemetry, just for kicks. Wave, oversteer, wave, tire smoke... pit :lol:

The Off Throttle blown diffuser ban has been reversed. So much for the FIA being against wasting fuel etc, where is all that talk now?
I'm sorry but they kinda deserve to have this thrown back in their face in this instance.

The Off Throttle blown diffuser ban has been reversed. So much for the FIA being against wasting fuel etc, where is all that talk now?
I'm sorry but they kinda deserve to have this thrown back in their face in this instance.

Link?

I wonder if we could keep this thread going till the next GP. :P

Anyways, Vettel said his team need to refocus, i'd say the only error was a mess-up in the pits if i'm honest, still though. I guess he means because RBR aren't actually winning all the races for once. Hope Ferrari can keep up the pressure.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't banned, just toned down.

This is what caused the controversy, it was supposed to be reduced to 10% of off throttle feeding, but Renault claimed that due to reliability issues that it was necessary to run 50% and the FIA let them. I'm still not sure what engine mapping each team ran at Silverstone, but its easier to let it happen for now rather than different teams have 40% extra for "reliability" issues.

It will be gone next year though, as regulations are going to state an area where the exhausts must exit, away from the diffuser. Far better solution....

The rule was changed because of certain teams deciding to interpret the rules this way (and thus threatening to protest the other cars), its interesting that they have gone back now apparently the FIA offered this compromise to the teams.

Basically, earlier this year certain teams raised the issue that the off-throttle part was breaking the rule of "moveable aerodynamic devices", the FIA hadn't thought of this interpretation and so moved to change the rules to appease these teams. Problem is/was its difficult to tell all the engine manufacturers to go back 2 years on their engine maps when they have claim that the engines/maps were designed for off-throttle, its not possible for them to go back so easily.

I don't really know who should be blamed for all this, but I guess its a little bit the FIA for not sorting this out earlier or at least delaying the change to the end of the season but also the teams should be blamed for this mess because they have failed to agree on all this and have been difficult in agreeing a proper solution.

Its a little like Indy 2005 - all parties were to blame but really the result was inevitable, because it wasn't just one party to blame, it makes it difficlt to see how it could have been avoided. Maybe Michelin should have made a better tyre in the first place and maybe the FIA or the protesting teams should have tackled the blown diffuser issue far earlier in the year, but equally there were solutions and the opposing parties could have helped avoid the mess that occured.

Before the FIA explained their decisions, we were only guessing that it was to do with fuel burning or whatever. It has quickly become clear though that its just another political argument caused by teams who have struggled to get the blown diffusers working and decided to protest the other's designs instead. Nothing really new here and its not necessarily just the fault of the FIA that this has happened.

Before the FIA explained their decisions, we were only guessing that it was to do with fuel burning or whatever. It has quickly become clear though that its just another political argument caused by teams who have struggled to get the blown diffusers working and decided to protest the other's designs instead. Nothing really new here and its not necessarily just the fault of the FIA that this has happened.

Yep, this is no different than the double diffuser row from two years back and if you go back further, the 'active suspension' debacle. To its credit, the FIA is doing a better job is not just coddling Ferrari.

Also, Webber isn't backing down over the team orders ridiculousness: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93065

I think its closer to the barge boards row from 98, and the mass damper row from 2006 (or was it 2005?)

anyone else see this out on track?

DSC02619.jpg

DSC02620.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

i have no idea how he managed it lol

just saw it when i was walkin on the track after the race...not many people seamed to notice..lucky for the driver i guess haha

Back