2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 833 comments
Bit off topic I know, but this has just come to my attention. I live in Toronto which is only an hour or so by bus from Missisauga. Nice chance to see a formula 1 car up close, even if it is just a show model.

Edit: Tomorrow is the last day for it.

Can't wait to see if these rule changes have any effect. I hate mid-season rule changes. It's like the teams that aren't winning complain because they didn't think of the next best thing before the other guy and get the rules changed because of it. Not every team can have an Adrian Newey or Paddy Lowe.

Last edited:
Yes, it will. Red Bull has the best running one, and their car is built quite a lot around that diffuser. Their set to lose the most from it. Them and Renault, as Renault has made their engines to have the most aggressive engine maps to blow as much air as possible.

You are saying it like it's a fact, but it's all speculation if it really is going to make such a big difference that some people think. I don't think it will make a big difference. People are just desperately hoping for something to slow down Red Bull, which is probably why this mid-season regulations change happened in the first place.

This rule change would've happened even if RB weren't running away with the titles. It's to prevent costs from going out of control, and to level the playing field a bit. The backmarkers and midfielders can't afford to get these off throttle EBD's, but the frontrunners are constantly updating and blowing millions to eek out more out of their diffusers. That's just not right.

Ohh how you must always shoot any Alonso fan down at every race thread.
Alonso fans are the only ones I know of (Raikkonen fans did it too, but he's not racing anymore) who construct these elaborate ideas about how he will be able to win, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. Even if Alonso hadn't needed to make an additional stop in Barcelona, he would not have done very well. The 150 Italia just does not use the hard tyres very well, and Ferrari have admitted as much. When Pirelli announced the tyre compounds for Silverstone, the team accepted that they were going to struggle.

I'm a big Alonso/ Ferrari fan and yes, even I can admit that Ferrari will be lucky to get 4th this weekend if LH doesnt end up in the wars.

SV will qualify on pole and scamper off into the distance come race time. Webber will flatter to deceive and finish a 'close but far' 2nd, followed by the Macca's. Alonso to be best of the rest or scuffling with the trailing McLaren.

The throwaround debate on what teams will be affected most by the ban is all just speculation, to say that Renault will be affected big time is just plain silly, but I guess if there's no news, they have to make some.
I loved Horner's gag about having used cold air the whole time.

F1 fan
Bit off topic I know, but this has just come to my attention. I live in Toronto which is only an hour or so by bus from Missisauga. Nice chance to see a formula 1 car up close, even if it is just a show model.

I distinctly remember being at the British Motor show about ten or so years ago, on a race weekend, with some pillock on the Mercedes stand looking at the show model McLaren and trying to impress his ladyfriend with his expert knowledge...

"There it is, that's the actual car that'll be in the Grand Prix tomorrow"

PeterJB
I'm going there on Thursday with some mates for the entire weekend. So excited!

Where are you watching from? We're at Stowe on race day. Hoping to see into the garages from the pit grandstand with the binoculars on fri or sat :)

Are you staying at the circuit camp site?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anghammarad delivers! :lol: 👍 ;)

If I'm honest I really don't fancy Alonso's chances at all this weekend because of the reasons already stated by interludes. The Ferrari simply does not seem to work on the harder compounds and unless the changes in regulations affect them much less than everyone else (which is unlikely) they will probably duke it out with Mercedes for fifth or sixth..

I went to this race last year. I sat in Luffield, great place to watch and saw plenty of overtaking down the Wellington Straight. When the cars did their burnouts the sound was amazing. A good place to watch is the now first turn (Abbey?), there was a bump there last year and during practice a whole lot of cars were going off there. The great thing they had last year was that on the Friday and Saturday you could go into any of the grandstands that you wanted, and sit where ever you wanted. Not sure if it will be the same this year though.

Stayed in the circuit campsite, great atmosphere. Roughly 15 minutes walk to the track depending on where you are seating/camping. Got to see EJ playing the drums as well.

My picks:
Vettel will win, a McLaren will come second, Webber will be third or fourth with the other McLaren, Alonso 5th, with then perhaps Rosberg or Massa in sixth and seventh, with a cheeky Sauber or Renault in the mix too.

. The great thing they had last year was that on the Friday and Saturday you could go into any of the grandstands that you wanted, and sit where ever you wanted. Not sure if it will be the same this year though.

yup they doing that again this year first real f1 event for me...cant wait haha.

edit
i think its only the friday you can do that this year...might be wrong

If I'm honest I really don't fancy Alonso's chances at all this weekend because of the reasons already stated by interludes. The Ferrari simply does not seem to work on the harder compounds and unless the changes in regulations affect them much less than everyone else (which is unlikely) they will probably duke it out with Mercedes for fifth or sixth..

That isn't relevant, it wouldn't be right if you didn't post what you did ;)

Anyway, of course you are right, unless Ferrari seriously upgrades their car I don't see them anywhere near the front. RBR, McLaren, and then Mercedes & Ferrari pretty even is the order I expect. And then, there's Kobayashi :D

I'm not a massive F1 fan, but I can say that the video tour lap on the first post isn't strictly accurate. Some of the sections of track have changed slightly since then, or atleast according to what I could see at both GT1 & FIA F2 earlier this year.

I was asked by my neighbour (who is going to the GP) to do a quick guide to the circuit and thought that some of you who are maybe going to the circuit for the first time may appreciate it. It should be available to download/print/do whatever with if you wish.

Link

Anyway, have fun if your going!

I will be particularly interested in how mclarens aero package suits these new rules as I'm doing work experiance their aerodynamics department next week.

I really hope a british driver can do well this weekend being their home grandprix. I hope di resta can pull something out of the bag.

Hopefully mclaren for the win, however anything could happen with this diffuser shakeup, maybe Vettel could even win ;) .

I distinctly remember being at the British Motor show about ten or so years ago, on a race weekend, with some pillock on the Mercedes stand looking at the show model McLaren and trying to impress his ladyfriend with his expert knowledge...

Where are you watching from? We're at Stowe on race day. Hoping to see into the garages from the pit grandstand with the binoculars on fri or sat :)

Are you staying at the circuit camp site?

Yeah we're staying at the main campsite. We're at Becketts on race day but we've got general admission tickets, so probably just moving from grandstand to grandstand for the other events.

Is it the mcLaren F1, I have seen it at a car dealership in the past?

Double Post - Apologies!

I was asked by my neighbour (who is going to the GP) to do a quick guide to the circuit and thought that some of you who are maybe going to the circuit for the first time may appreciate it. It should be available to download/print/do whatever with if you wish.

Link

Your circuit guide is excellent, good work 👍

PeterJB
Yeah we're staying at the main campsite. We're at Becketts on race day but we've got general admission tickets, so probably just moving from grandstand to grandstand for the other events.

I was general admission last year and watched the race from Becketts. Was a pretty decent spot but was a pain in the backside getting up at six with a hangover on the Sunday to reserve a good place for our camping chairs, hence going for reserved grandstand sears this year!

Our ga tickets got us roving grandstand entry for Friday then general non grandstand entry for quali and race. We watched quali from the old bridge grandstand which gave a pretty decent view of the complex. Our Stowe ones this year have roving grandstand access for fri and sat do we're planning on trying as many stands as possible!

Last edited:
My picks:
Vettel will win, a McLaren will come second, Webber will be third or fourth with the other McLaren, Alonso 5th, with then perhaps Rosberg or Massa in sixth and seventh, with a cheeky Sauber or Renault in the mix too.

This sounds right to me. The best we can hope for is that somehow one of the McLarens pips Vettel before turn 1 and holds him up or otherwise forces some kind of mistake, because as we've seen all year, if Vettel hits the front he is long gone.

Can't wait for Saturday, going to qualifying and seeing F1 for the first time.
For anyone who has been, is it true they hand out ear defender things??

Your circuit guide is excellent, good work 👍

Thank you! I really appreciate it, a lot of time and effort went into it. :)

SmittMan
Can't wait for Saturday, going to qualifying and seeing F1 for the first time.
For anyone who has been, is it true they hand out ear defender things??

I'd imagine they do hand them out, although they are most likely ear plugs, not defenders. They are optional to use anyway.

:lol:

Is it the mcLaren F1, I have seen it at a car dealership in the past?

No, it's a Red Bull car. It was at an Infiniti dealership in Mississauga.

I'm sitting at the Maggotts and Becketts corner this year! Great to see F1 cars through there & Get to see turns 1 to 7 as well!

It's going to be immense, even if its a bit drizzly :P

Back