2011 Formula One DHL Turkish Grand Prix

Last year, Michael scored more points in Bahrain than he has after 4 races this year. I don't think he is doing better...

Points are only part of the equation. He's outperformed Rosberg a hell of a lot more this year already than he did last year (this race excepted), and that's a much better measuring stick.

All the reduction in points means is that more of the other drivers are doing better comparatively.

Michael should have seen him alongside at that point and should have known Petrov was going to go wide. He totally screwed up not seeing Petrov and then turning into him when he didn't need to.
While Petrov made a silly mistake missing his braking point, Michael really didn't need to do anything except avoid him. It just looked like Schumacher really wasn't paying attention to his surroundings....again.

Shared blame. Didn't say it wasn't Michael's fault, but Petrov wasn't concentrating either. Indeed, if he'd braked at the normal braking point, they'd have both made it around the corner without touching regardless of Michael's squeezing tactics.

Shared blame. Didn't say it wasn't Michael's fault, but Petrov wasn't concentrating either. Indeed, if he'd braked at the normal braking point, they'd have both made it around the corner without touching regardless of Michael's squeezing tactics.

Also the fact that Petrov is still a baby of the sport and Schumacher is a naturally aggressive driver. I dont think its reasonable to expect that Schumacher is ever going to yield, given his track record.

Concerning the Michael-Petrov case. After the race, Michael admitted that it was more his own fault, so he learns...

I think part of the problem in Turkey was the fact that there was quite a strong headwind in the DRS zone. This meant that the car in front had an unusual amount of drag, and the rear car, as well as having the bigger advantage from slipstreaming and avoiding the tailwind, had DRS and KERS to boot.

Melbourne the DRS area was too short and it didnt really do much, but in my opinion it was the best of the lot, remember the great battle between Button and Massa? Although, that might just be down to Button becoming much more fighty, see him go around the outside of Rosberg(?) at turn 13?

Good point, the wind conditions would have affected it a lot.

The battle with Button and Massa at Melbourne wasn't really helped at all by DRS though, if anything it ruined it a little bit because Button was gaining too much from DRS and having to back off at turn 1. By that I mean, DRS wasn't enough to put him alongside, but it was enough to put him too close to Massa that he had to back off to make turn 1, which compromised an attack into turn 3. (As opposed to simply following Massa through turn 1 more closely).
I'd say that fight was more down to Massa being uber defensive and a fight between KERS-usage.

Concerning the Michael-Petrov case. After the race, Michael admitted that it was more his own fault, so he learns...

Over a decade since he could have "learnt".

Last edited:
Good point, the wind conditions would have affected it a lot.

The battle with Button and Massa at Melbourne wasn't really helped at all by DRS though, if anything it ruined it a little bit because Button was gaining too much from DRS and having to back off at turn 1. By that I mean, DRS wasn't enough to put him alongside, but it was enough to put him too close to Massa that he had to back off to make turn 1, which compromised an attack into turn 3. (As opposed to simply following Massa through turn 1 more closely).
I'd say that fight was more down to Massa being uber defensive and a fight between KERS-usage.

Over a decade since he could have "learnt".

He managed to get up there a couple of times, which at least made it a good fight, rather than him just breezing past him.
I think the FIA need to have the ability to move it around (if they dont already?), back or forward, and there also needs to be a line or some sort of marker at the point where they measure the gap for the DRS, as well as perhaps a split timer or something, so that we can know for certain. The FIA already have it, so it cant be that hard to put on the screens.

As the teams need to set their gear ratios before qualifying, I don't think its ideal for the FIA to be moving the DRS around during the race weekend. What they are doing currently (trying it in different types of corners with different lengths of activation at each race) is enough.
Maybe instead they could have two DRS zones in a race, but perhaps this is too much for them to keep track of.

Sure it would, but we are not talking 50m, the FIA started with 600m at Melbourne and ended up with 700m at China, but the length isn't the only factor.

Agreed, it is also to do with the type of corner and how much speed you have going into it vs how much you have to slow down to take the corner. If at Turkey they were to have shorten the length of the DRS zone and limit the amount of time that they could spend with it open, then it might not have made it so easy.

Indeed, and thats what the FIA have been testing each race. This race they tested probably the most extreme (high-speed corner exit with a long activation into a known overtaking spot). At Australia we got the average I think, with a medium-speed corner exit, a medium-length activation into a corner where overtakes are not usually that successful.

Interestingly, I think DRS has been helping to setup long overtaking battles for more of the lap. This was especially obvious at Sepang, though its also clear that the Pirelli tyres are helping a lot too.

Vettel told not to drink champagne in Turkey

Sebastian Vettel was supposedly banned from drinking champagne on the podium as he celebrated winning Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix.

British newspapers report that the championship leader was told he must resist drinking the champagne due to Turkey's new alcohol age limit of 24.

"It had been said in the drivers' briefing. The law is 24 and he is 23," confirmed Red Bull team boss Christian Horner.

The alcohol advertising ban in Turkey also meant teams had to remove some logos from their cars, such as Sauber's usual Tequila sponsor.

http://en.espnf1.com/turkey/motorsport/story/48160.html

What a bunch of BS. Just goes to show Shariah Law in Europe is not far off.

What does Shariah Law have to do with minimum drinking ages?(If it were Shariah law they wouldn't have any alcohol like in Abu Dhabi where they just have carbonated water for the podium).

This sort of thing is nothing new, various competition winners have had to "resist" drinking alcohol after winning because they weren't old enough, and that is just in the US.

Two minor points.

First, the race occurred in the Asian part of Turkey. Second, that particular part of the world was the seat of the Ottoman Empire - the predominant religion of which is Sunni Islam...

As a follow-up, the drinking age of 24 in Turkey applies to large public events. The legal drinking age is 18, just as it is in the UK - whereas I believe in Minnesota it's 21. Just goes to show Shariah Law in the USA is not far off, eh?

Why does it matter anyway? Who cares what they are spraying? Why does it have to be alcohol?

I'd rather they put more effort into the trophies to make them look more unique rather than making them all chrome styled trophies. Hungary's always stand out so much simply because they put the effort in.

What does Shariah Law have to do with minimum drinking ages?(If it were Shariah law they wouldn't have any alcohol like in Abu Dhabi where they just have carbonated water for the podium).

Well their moving towards Shariah law rather than away with a higher drinking age. :yuck: Very conservative law.

Well their moving towards Shariah law rather than away with a higher drinking age. :yuck: Very conservative law.

So, I guess US laws on requiring parental consent for minors are a prequel to abolishing marriage? Wow.

Famine
As a follow-up, the drinking age of 24 in Turkey applies to large public events. The legal drinking age is 18, just as it is in the UK - whereas I believe in Minnesota it's 21. Just goes to show Shariah Law in the USA is not far off, eh?

Still that.

I'd rather they put more effort into the trophies to make them look more unique rather than making them all chrome styled trophies. Hungary's always stand out so much simply because they put the effort in.

*cough* Someone didn't see the Shanghai trophy *cough*

I also tought the DRS zone was to big in Turkey. China was good for it but Malaysia was best.
Anyways for Spain it's the whole pit straight. Probably because of the pretty fast turn 1.

*cough* Someone didn't see the Shanghai trophy *cough*

This year has been better, but most year's GP Tophies have been terrible. Partly because they seem to prefer simply giving out a trophy shaped by the sponsor, which was Santander quite a lot of the time.

The Chinese trophy was one of the most tackiest pieces of crap I've seen for a long time.

I've won CHESS medals that look better than that thing :[

Webber sadly is a step below Vettel in every aspect this season, I don't see him beating Vettel outright at all this season.

You're being very modest of yourself.:P

But yeah Webber has been very bad so far. Maybe he can re-ignite the form he had last season with the tracks he won at coming up next, Spain and Monaco, but to be honest, I don't see the Red Bulls staying at the top for much longer. They will probably win by a country mile at Spain though.

Back