• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,122 comments

Cap'n Jack

Premium
Australia
South of the South
GoldMineGutted
Formula One Grand Prix de Monaco

Not even a week has passed since the Spanish Grand Prix and already the teams will soon be rolling into the small Principality of Monaco for the crown jewel of the Formula One season, the Monaco Grand Prix. Held on the streets of Monte Carlo, the Monaco Grand Prix is arguably the most challenging circuit on the Formula One calendar due to the close proximity of walls lining the narrow, bumpy street circuit, a stark contrast to the most modern grand prix circuits.

screenshot20110524at153.png

Number of Laps: 78
Circuit Length: 3.340 km
Race Distance: 260.520 km
Lap Record: 1:14.439 - M Schumacher (2004)

2010 Podium
Mark Webber
Sebastien Vettel
Robert Kubica

Last edited:
Red Bull win, Webber this time, I don't really see Vettel winning Moanco, it's not really a track he fits best.

If anyone says it's not Tuesday yet I'll strangle you. I guess there isn't too much to discuss here though, Vettel or Webber pole, and the same to win. Vettel's liable to make a mistake here though. Maybe we'll even see the first SC of the year.

It's kind of hard seeing anybody other than Red Bull on pole. But with the lack of high speed corners (only Massenet and the swimming pool section) maybe the McLarens stand a chance. Red Bull didn't seem as though they had much of an advantage, if any, in the tighter more technical sections at Catalunya.

Can't wait for this one. I want to see some Kobayashi here.
Oh and Ferrari to win it. They are usually best on the slow corners and Alsonso is a really brave driver.

Apparently the use of DRS through the tunnel has been banned (as well as Eau Rouge, when it comes up).

If anyone says it's not Tuesday yet I'll strangle you.
If ever there was an event where an early thread is justified, it's Monaco - after all, the first practice sessions take place on Thursday instead of Friday.

This isn't going to be the same weekend as Le Mans is it?

Sorry, I'd google it, but my iPod doesn't like Safari. :(

EDIT: The FIA has banned DRS use in the tunnel. Source.

A local broadcaster said the drivers signed out a requirement to ban the DRS from the Monte Carlo Grand Prix, all drivers signed it, except one. Michael Schumacher.

Too much bravery or just a hefty dose of stupidity? I think it's the latter.

Not even a week has passed since the Spanish Grand Prix....

Yeah, more like "barely a day has passed". I'd have to hunt around for time zone conversions and all, but as near as I can tell that post was less than thirty hours following the start of the Spanish GP.

Just saying....

This isn't going to be the same weekend as Le Mans is it?

No, just the same weekend as the 95th Indy 500 (100th anniversary of the original Indy 500). I believe it was just last year that this aggravated a co-worker of mine (having a Formula One race on the same day as the Indy 500). I pointed out that more people watch any given F1 race than the combined viewership of both the Daytona 500 and the Indy 500. Scheduling an F1 race around the Indy 500 would be like scheduling the Super Bowl around a high school football game.

I will still watch the 500, though; not as an Indy fan, as I'm not an Indy fan, though I do sometimes check up on the road course races, but just because it's the Indy 500.

IceMan PJN
No, just the same weekend as the 95th Indy 500 (100th anniversary of the original Indy 500). I believe it was just last year that this aggravated a co-worker of mine (having a Formula One race on the same day as the Indy 500). I pointed out that more people watch any given F1 race than the combined viewership of both the Daytona 500 and the Indy 500. Scheduling an F1 race around the Indy 500 would be like scheduling the Super Bowl around a high school football game.

I will still watch the 500, though; not as an Indy fan, as I'm not an Indy fan, though I do sometimes check up on the road course races, but just because it's the Indy 500.

You can easily watch both though. There are several hours in between both. Great weekend for motorsport though. Two out of the big three events. The other being le mans of course.

As many have said, RBR for a 1-2 grid. Probably the a 1-2 finish, provided Vettel does not find a barrier. And Mclaren on the podium.

and re: DRS in the tunnel, I thinks it's more about whether you can use it, rather than hinder everyone by banning it in a full throttle part of the track. If your car can't handle it, don't deploy, if it can, deploy. Just like every other track. *same goes for Eau Rogue (mentioned in article)

I would like to say that my prediction is that Alonso will win comfortably but unfortunately I would be lying if I did. The only way for him to win would be to make an equally heroic start as in Spain and also having tyres left from quali which seems quite unlikely. I don't think we will see more than two or three genuine passes even with KERS and DRS. I will not be surprised if we have a similar race as last week where Vettel gets into the lead and Hamilton is quicker for most of the race but unable to pass. Podium will be Vettel, Hamilton and Webber.

Ugh. Stuff like this irritates me. If you're going to protest, then protest straight away. Don't wait until it's best for you. Hispania have openly said that they didn't protest in Barcelona because they weren't sure if they'd be ahead of Virgin, the only other team not running an OTBD. It's disgusting that they should only selectively apply the rules. Also somewhat ironic that they think they can get ahead of Virgina at the one race where they were well outside the 107% margin in 2010.

What are they expecting, anyway? That the FIA will ban everyone from racing except Hispania and Virgin? Lessons were learned from Indianapolis 2005. If Hispania win their protest, the most the FIA will do is re-introduce the ban for Montreal. They're not going to ban twenty drivers from racing, or disqualify them post-race. Besides, even if the ban is introduced for Monaco, all of the other teams probably have substitute parts at hand. After all, the FIA was originally intending to force them to change in Barcelona, so the teams will have those parts.

Hispania are bottom of the constructors' world championship.
Pretty much describes the outcome of this protest.

I can only imagine this changing if Williams put in a protest.

We all know the way this sport works.

Ugh. Stuff like this irritates me. If you're going to protest, then protest straight away. Don't wait until it's best for you.

Colin Kolles is a trained dentist. That tells me everything I need to know about him :D

To be fair to him I think they expected the FIA to act sooner, they've started making noises since the FIA postponed their announced action. The lower end teams don't have the budget to develop these systems and probably never will. That's looking on the good side...

...but you're right that their timing seems calculated from a position of what suits THEM best rather than what's right for the sport!

To be fair to him I think they expected the FIA to act sooner, they've started making noises since the FIA postponed their announced action.
No, the issue is that the FIA recanted. The announced that the OTBD was a mvoeable aero device, and therefore banned. Hispania had planned to introduce an OTBD in their Barcelona upgrade, but abandoned it when the FIA shut the concept down. But then the FIA went ahead and said that the OTBD was legal, pending a discussion with the technical working group to decide its future. By this point, Hispania had already cancelled the upgrade, and were unable to re-introduce it in time for the race. They won't be able to get it onto the car for Monaco, either. And that's what they're protesting about: they believe the off-throttle blown diffuser is illegal and planned accordingly, but the decision was reversed at the last moment and now every other team (except Marussia Virgin) has an unfair advantage.

Monaco. Great, the first race this season I'm not looking forward to. It's a great test of a driver and a great place to actually see the cars up close, but a totally rubbish track for racing on. Hopefully it will rain on race day.

Ugh. Stuff like this irritates me. If you're going to protest, then protest straight away. Don't wait until it's best for you. Hispania have openly said that they didn't protest in Barcelona because they weren't sure if they'd be ahead of Virgin, the only other team not running an OTBD. It's disgusting that they should only selectively apply the rules. Also somewhat ironic that they think they can get ahead of Virgina at the one race where they were well outside the 107% margin in 2010.

What are they expecting, anyway? That the FIA will ban everyone from racing except Hispania and Virgin? Lessons were learned from Indianapolis 2005. If Hispania win their protest, the most the FIA will do is re-introduce the ban for Montreal. They're not going to ban twenty drivers from racing, or disqualify them post-race. Besides, even if the ban is introduced for Monaco, all of the other teams probably have substitute parts at hand. After all, the FIA was originally intending to force them to change in Barcelona, so the teams will have those parts.

Not really surprising at all, its called the Piranha Club for a reason. Its times like this which are a real test on FOTA.
Don't be surprised if Virgin and Williams join the protest, as this is not about their aero but about Cosworth's engine maps. Clearly Cosworth haven't been able to create these engine maps to work as well as everyone else's.

Possibly Hispania are waiting to see if the other two will join them in protest, but its more obvious and more likely they are trying to aim their protest for maximum effect where the FIA may be forced to penalise.
Whether we get Indy 2005 or not, we shall see, but the circumstances are wildly different. That was not really a problem with FIA rules but a problem Michelin caused. Here its almost entirely up to the FIA and the teams can run without the throttle over-run as they assumedly have the old engine maps still, so they can give them a small(er) penalty and force them to use different engine maps. Its not a question of safety like in 2005 and the teams are able to run either way. The FIA didn't ban the teams in 2005, why would they for this?

Last edited:
1) schumacher
2) heidfeld (great race in spain!)
3) kobayashi

lol...

I hope vettel will loose...I don't like him...

Possibly Hispania are waiting to see if the other two will join them in protest, but its more obvious and more likely they are trying to aim their protest for maximum effect where the FIA may be forced to penalise.
If this is a Cosworth thing, then why have Hispania be the ones to protest? Surely it would make more sense to have Williams lead the protest. Or do you think they've stirred up too much trouble of late by vetoing the total DRS ban?

Majorly disappointed (although I saw it coming a mile off) that DRS will not be used at Monaco for the race. I don't think it would be any more dangerous in the tunnel than drivers normally trying to pass in the pre DRS days. Using Kers there is also just as dangerous.

Been reading Petrov's annoyance that qualifying means nothing anymore with Heidfeld finishing higher than him from the back of the grid. I feel the tyres are making things too easy, not DRS.

I think it will be rinse and repeat for Vettel, although the racing has been exciting having him as the winner is starting to get slightly boring. I hope its not the start of another decade long yawn fest (Schumacher Ferrari Era).

Robin.

Majorly disappointed (although I saw it coming a mile off) that DRS will not be used at Monaco for the race.
It is being used. The DRS zone will be the main straight. The FIA has banned its use in the tunnel in practice and qualifying.

Back